Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The hardest piste you've ever got down

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

FUnniest was black 3 down to La Thuile. A nice start to the run, but around the 2nd bend and OMG

Hmm, yes, this piste also left an indelbile impression on me. Especially when an 8yr old we were skiing with made it look easy and the two adults didn't. My middle son fell about 2/3 of the way down the first steep bit and got a jacket-full of snow. Luckily there was a bit of a run-off to stop him.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Kamikaze in La Plagne

Yep a thoroughly good example of conditions making or breaking a piste, We looked at the top of that in the Summer and bl**dy hell is it steep Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The worst moments for me last year were the 4 o'clock run down to Montier in SC with so many out of control people... and by the same token when one of the many zillions hit me in La Plagne... I'd just passed her when she zeroed onto me..and I thought I had picked my moment because she was not in control at all... and then BAM..!!!

So, it isn't the piste, it is the people on them...
Shocked

Worst worst moment last year was when we topped out on a cliff in Andermatt... we were following the SKGB....!!!!!! that took some cowboy tactics to get down that without a rope... hence I carry a small one now..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Colour in Courchevel not sure which was worse the ridge or the bumps Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slipping whilst crossing the Arrete into the Vallee Blache in poor conditions made for a quick flicker in the ticker for me....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Technically probably Emile Allias (next to the Grand Couloir) whilst it was still a piste. I saw someone slide further down that than I'd ever belived possible, ragdolling off the bumps all the way.

The Streif in Kitz was 'interesting' last year though - not quite skiing in the accepted sense of the term, given that it alternated between huge moguls and bald grass on the steeper pitches. I was somewhat off WC pace on that run.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

FUnniest was black 3 down to La Thuile. A nice start to the run, but around the 2nd bend and OMG

Hmm, yes, this piste also left an indelbile impression on me. Especially when an 8yr old we were skiing with made it look easy and the two adults didn't. My middle son fell about 2/3 of the way down the first steep bit and got a jacket-full of snow. Luckily there was a bit of a run-off to stop him.

Black 3 for me too. An overly macho instructor took us down there - I managed one terrified turn and finished the rest head first, on my back. Next in the group did the same, but the instructor tried to catch her as she slid face first too. We were all delighted to see she took him out as she went Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon wrote:
This was nice:

(looks harder than it was, though)

Surely not a piste though????
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The hardest piste I've ever got down was Belle Plagne, from the village of the same name to Plagne Bellecote. I fell at least 20 times.

Mind you, it was the first time I'd ever been on skis.

Things have improved considerably since then!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hari Kari in Mayrhofen last year. Normally not a problem but hit a sheet of ice that would not let me turn think it was kryptonite, on it last year that seemed to go on forever and after breaking the sound barrier Shocked landed everywhich way but right in a snow drift! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TallTone, it's a sod of a piste when you're a new skier. Often crowded too, and full of other nervous people.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paint Brush - Jackson Hole. Big moguls and very steep.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find at moments like these, odd as it sounds, gripping your poles harder actually DOES help Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

think it was kryptonite

that's about the only thing that does for me as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zammo - good job you didn't try dropping off to the left through Corner Pocket in that case (before reaching Sky Dive)... there are tyres in place in an attempt to hold enough snow in place, it's so steep. Shocked
As you're obviously a fan of moguls, did you try Kangaroo? Moguls the size of cars on that one!
No, I couldn't ski it either... Sad
snow report
Oh God Wengen even when the conditions were very good.
snow report
There is also a short black piste at argentierre called (I think) Roumasz? Anyway on the day we skied it 3 of us fell lots and so rechristened it "ruin your ar*e". Confused
ski holidays
My worst moment was about thirty years ago on a black run above Val Gardena. Looking on the online piste map it may be the run below Sassolungo or perhaps further up the valley on the same right hand side around Sella Joch.

At the time I did it, you went up in a stand up two man run and jump on open bucket lift. I went back to the area for the first time walking a couple of summers ago and now there is a stand up enclosed two man cabin. I am not sure if there is still a piste marked there in winter. Somehow I doubt it. The lift may just be for summer walkers or people with guides in winter.

My companions had all had enough for the day but I was up for a bit more, partly because I doubt if we had come across many blacks that week so far in the area.

So up I went. Early intermediate skier, on my own, two metre skis, late in the day, steep, north facing and icy. As soon as I started down I realised I was out of my depth. The moguls at the top were enormous. It was when I went back a couple of summers ago that I realised why. The moguls at the top were not entirely natural and were formed over some huge boulders underneath rather like rocky outcrops.

Well I survived unharmed but it took a while to get down and I hope I learnt a lesson from that.
snow conditions
richjp, I went up the two man jump in enclosed bucket lift two years ago as part of a walking holiday in the Dolimites. We walked down the other side from the lift and it was a long steep walk with as you say lots of big boulders. Iwent back to the area on a ski hol last year and the lift was not working so i think it is just a summer walking lift which may open perhaps for guided parties in the winter.
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
This was nice:

(looks harder than it was, though)

Horizon - that's off-piste - not what the thread is about.

Edit: Sorry kitenski, didn't look at the second page - and you were right (I was there)
snow conditions
The top of Couloir Extreme at Blackcomb is about the steepest bit of piste I can think of. I doubt if that ever gets groomed. But you can miss most of the really steep bit and join further down if you want. In Europe it would probably be off-piste.
snow report
"The Wall" in PDS was mine as well I think. Stood at the top for a while on 2 trips before getting the chicken lift down. On my last visit there I had mentally prepard to go down it no matter what I was thinking when I stood at the top. The enormous moguls were semi-hard, not as icey as I have seen them but I literally fell off the first 3 rows which were Vee Dub sized. After that it wasn't as bad as I expected but my mogul skiing is at best weak so it was not the most stylish descent I've ever made - and my wife beat me easily on the lift! Biggest disappointment was the Abba lady's kiosk at the bottom was closed when I got there!

The Ladies Downhill at Lake Louise also presented a challenge. There's a ridge, which the ladies abviously fly over but we had stopped just before it. As the rest of my group crested it I was surprised by how fast they were disappearing once past it. When I took my turn, I shot across 20 meters of blue ice and joined the rest of the party in a pile at the other side of it!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, TallTone,

Busy and very icy. Surprising how easy it becomes but for the nervous skier it can be terrifying. snowHead
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,Once I was in a similar situation( left my goggles at the chalet) in La Thuile and the weather went horrible. To get the lift back to France we had to go all the way down Belvedere(pretty steep black) in zero visibility, and did shout a lot. Never plan to them behind again!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Kamikaze in La Plagne. Only a red, but had decided to leave my goggles at the chalet as it was a lovely day, once over the back to Champagny there was cloud that turned to snow. South facing slope had been battered by warm temps and the sun the prior day, and had frozen solid over night. FUnniest was black 3 down to La Thuile. A nice start to the run, but around the 2nd bend and OMG Shocked Kids loved it but me and the boss took to traversing, falling in the crud at the edge, turning the skis and traversing back Embarassed

haha this was the run (black 3 la thuile) I was talking about too!

I was about 15 when we went down there and have done about 30 weeks since (2 seasons), my question is, exactly how hard was that run? It seemed pretty damn scary at the time, but I obviously have improved a hell of a lot since then so it's difficult to assess. what does it compare to? It was also pretty icy when we did it. I would like to think I could get down it now but I can't think how I would take it on from memory.

Anyone done Bouquetin on Mont Chery in Les gets? I did it in good snow but wouldnt like to try it in the ice...
latest report
The most feared I’ve been was aged 11 when I was just progressing from snowplough turns and learning swing turns. I continued past the end of the ciste bowl and down the West Wall at Cairngorm.
It's just an average Black but I still remember it 20 years later Skullie
ski holidays
Quote:

my question is, exactly how hard was that run?

skiben. Most of it is OK really, its just that after the aforementioned bend, everything drops away quite sickeningly for a couple of hundred metres or so, then into a sharp left bend. Or into the netting if you don't make it. Apparantly it was used as a training run for the 2006 winter olympics.
ski holidays
ajpaul wrote:
Quote:

my question is, exactly how hard was that run?

skiben. Most of it is OK really, its just that after the aforementioned bend, everything drops away quite sickeningly for a couple of hundred metres or so, then into a sharp left bend. Or into the netting if you don't make it. Apparantly it was used as a training run for the 2006 winter olympics.

how do you take it on as an advanced skier?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB wrote:
One of the worst times I ever had on a piste was doing the Silene in Tignes when the moguls were about a meter high. It was baking hot and I was knackered. My son, then just turned 10, shot down it in no time and was shouting up at me to 'hurry up Dad!' whilst the people in the chairlift passing nearby were looking down with amusement at the chump below climbing back up to retrieve a lost ski, only to climb back down to re-retrieve it after losing it again within 30 seconds.

That was my first black! In very similar conditions.... Swiftly followed by my first off-piste, as I attempted to find a way to avoid at least part of the run Laughing
latest report
I couldn't remember a run called Silene so I checked the map on line. Political correctness has struck it used to be called Cocaine. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Mine has to be Isolee in Serre Chevalier, following a fantastic view whilst schuching along a ridge then a steepish decent - I remeber the exact words of my mate 'you aint seen anything yet' when we came across the next stage which can only be described as a steep couloir with rocks on either side - I got down it but it wasnt pretty. Later in the day when we were riding one of the lifts back home we could see someone being scrapped up by the blood wagon which made us realise what we had just done
ski holidays
Quote:

how do you take it on as an advanced skier?

No idea, I'll let you know if I ever achieve those dizzy heights Embarassed

As a solid intermediate, I take it on my face Little Angel I'm there again in March, so maybe I'll conquer my nemesis this time around!
snow report
I can't seem to link it but run 3 on the la thuile website looks distinctly tame on the photo....why does it get scary?
latest report
kwakazx6r, a lovely run in the right conditions though.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,

Looking to come back this year 26th Jan - hopefully conditions will be good the Little Angel
snow conditions
ollski, some bits are lovely, but some bits very steep and prone to icing.
latest report
Mont Fort in Verbier last April - first time was OK, though icy as hell (and not keen on the narrow entrance), but as I was stood at the bottom of the moguls feeling chuffed, bloke in t-shirt shot past on his back, coming down from the top of the field. I caught him, but he'd lost about 2-3 square feet of skin. So the second time I tried it was awful - having seen the potential damage, I was absolutely terrified. Also Diamant Noir in Flaine in 2003 - one of those where you lean over the edge to have a look, and then lean out another 20 degrees cos you can't see the top of the piste. That was the first time I'd ever seen a piste with a gradient warning!
snow report
Under the Nassereinbahn at the end of the day - usually ice & big moguls, with a million guys racing down for their first beer, skiing well beyond their capabilities. The choke-point just below the Rodelbahn Hutte is deadly.
ski holidays
Can't remember the name of the piste but it was an icey red coming into Montalbert.. All I recall is being face-down and sliding about 100m desparately trying to get a grip with my board but knowing it just wasn't going to happen. Probably looked hilarious to anyone watching!

So for me, ice is the hardest substance on which to descend any slope be it flat or steep.
snow report
I heard the 'hardest' pistes are found in Milton Keynes and Castleford?

The most unpleasant piste experience for me was last year, the run back down in to Zermatt having only just learnt to telemark. Not very wide, very crowded and very icy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy