Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The hardest piste you've ever got down

Poster: A snowHead
I know its pointless, i just thought it would be interesting. It may give some people something to aim for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me it's got to have been the Grand Couloir in Courchevel (way out of my depth) or the Swiss Wall in the PDS (done very slowly but comformtably after the first very steep bit).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the worst times I ever had on a piste was doing the Silene in Tignes when the moguls were about a meter high. It was baking hot and I was knackered. My son, then just turned 10, shot down it in no time and was shouting up at me to 'hurry up Dad!' whilst the people in the chairlift passing nearby were looking down with amusement at the chump below climbing back up to retrieve a lost ski, only to climb back down to re-retrieve it after losing it again within 30 seconds.

The entrance onto the Kamikaze in la Plagne was a bit of a challenge on my second week's skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wengen's Oh God.... pisted, in spring,... in the morning, last year....

Surfiving was the word.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ronald, I love that piste. Great view, steep and swoopy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Foret in Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tortin - Verbier for me, it was particularly icy and and as I arrived someone fell half way down and did'nt stop tumbling for about three years...I had (baaaaa I'm a sheep) to do it twice and was more anxious the second time as I obv knew what to expect second time round. For me this run made most of the blacks I'd experienced look blueish in colour, is it exceptionally steep or was I just being a woooss Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Bois De L'ours black in Les Arcs. Big moguls, tired, hot, wife came with me on my advice that this would be easy. Half way down there are 2 routes, a left and a right. I assured the wife that the right (as you are going down) was the easier one I could see form the chair. We are still married, just. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edit
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty,
Quote:

Tortin - Verbier for me, it was particularly icy and and as I arrived someone fell half way down and did'nt stop tumbling for about three years...

That may have been me in 2001 but I distinctly remember it being from the top of Mont Fort. I remember passing a pal on the way down (he was stationary, I was sliding on my back) and uttering the now immortal words "see you at the bottom Dave". So its back to Verbier in February with one goal - to get down it on my skis and not my a£*e.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The top pitch of Valentin in L2A in sheet ice conditions, undeniably. Either that or the Hundschopf on the Lauberhorn racetrack the day after the downhill - blue marker paint and boiler-plate ice. Terrifying at a reasonable pace, but to take the thing at race speed must be utterly pant-filling. For the record, I skied what I believed to be the "racing line" as fast as i could from the start hut (there wasn't a soul around btw), and had to pull up above the Hundschopf because my legs were like jelly. Good job i did - if 'd have kept going I'd probably have killed myself on the next bit, or the railway line at the bottom...
Mind you, tearing down a deserted Haneggschuss in a tuck pretending to be Franz Klammer was pretty good after a breather and a slug of sloe gin.

Skullie
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm ,this is taxing the brain cells, but I reckon the two "oh sh*t" moments I've had in my skiing life, was on on the exit from the tunnel in Alpe D'Huez and Tortin. In both cases it was so steep I couldn't see the first turn.

In fact I should remember this, after the first turn it all felt so much better.....

The biggest cheek clencher I've ever had was in Gressoney where the guides were going to rope us into a colouir, unfortunately the wind got up and we couldn't get the lift up. Sad

cheers,
Greg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's all about conditons for me. Anything icy leaves me feeling awful, doesn't even have to be steep.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stoatsbrother: I won't be happy until I can ski it like one of my swiss coworkers.... She was going for Stufe 2 and did rockin' Kurzswung on the damn thing (short-turns)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i thought the avoriaz world cup run was tough, noone else in my group seemed to

theres a black back to la thuile which i watched my whole family fall down when i was 15 or so, i took my skis off and slid down on my ass

anyone skied the black called Jolanda I in Gressoney? Great run, the steep bit at the end is classic!
snow conditions
skiben wrote:
ianyone skied the black called Jolanda I in Gressoney? Great run, the steep bit at the end is classic!

Is that the one off the chair out of Gressoney?? Seem to remember the steepest bit is at the start??
ski holidays
Don't know if it was the hardest, but it was certainly one of the most scary. Moguls the size of picnic tables, in fact , being a pixie, I could hardly see over the top of them. Lake Louise. Can't remember the piste now, but it was one of the ones on Saddleback bowl I think, as on another day, I used the green run from the Top of the World chair. Hardest work was the black from the Aguille Rouge in Les Arcs, down to Villaroger.
ski holidays
I know its not really a 'piste' but we did the vallee blanche in feb 2005.

Having done it twice before in great conditions, I recommended it to the rest of our group as a great day out and not too hard skiing.

The snow conditions were not good at all and there were crevasses showing everywhere from around a 3rd of the way down all the way to the mer du glace.

It took hours to get down and was not a pleasant experience for most of the group. Everyone was totally shattered and P'd off by the time we got to the bottom,
Oh and I had forgotten to tell them they had to climb for 15 mins or so at the end Toofy Grin

Nobody bought me a drink that night Puzzled wink
ski holidays
Knot Chutes in Fernie BC, in fact any of the Double Black Diamonds in Fernie, some were so steep you can't see how steep they are when you look down from the top. Nothing in Europe comes close.
snow report
Something called Le face between Tignes and Val d'Isere it was early and very icy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Tortin - Verbier for me, it was particularly icy and and as I arrived someone fell half way down and did'nt stop tumbling for about three years

At the risk of being accused of pedantry, Tortin isn't a piste, it's an itinerary route. The most scary piste in Verbier is from Attelas down to Ruinettes (known locally as the M25) at 3.30 on the Sunday of half-term holidays. Full of hopeless skiers all trying to avoid each other to get home. Give me Tortin or Mont Fort anytime..
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Are you making excuses for a nursery slope? wink
ski holidays
BGA, Tortin used to be a marked piste until it was declassified on insurance grounds, like most of the decent Black runs in Europe.
latest report
Spyderman, There was a nice bit at the bottom with lots of sheds along the edge of the piste wink
latest report
Nealglover wrote:

Oh and I had forgotten to tell them they had to climb for 15 mins or so at the end

Heck .. up those ladders at the end of a long day? Just out of interest how do you do that with skis (done it in comfy boots and a tiny rucsac). Haul them or what?
snow report
Walking down the piste from Courchevel 1850 to 1550 at 2 in the morning after some wag said it was the best way home. Certainly was the quickest
snow report
Hardest piste I've not done Toofy Grin The Swiss Wall, those moguls at the top really were the size and shape of Volkswagen beetles, Nice ride down on the lift Toofy Grin
snow conditions
boredsurfin, a friend of mine broke his hand on La Face at Val d'Isere, it's a bad 'un in the ice.

Coincidentally the most scared I've ever been on a piste was on La Face at Grands Montets when we foolishly went on to it before it had softened up enough to ride. I thought I was going to end head first in a crevasse for sure, but lived to tell the tale though it shredded my beloved thermal top and took lots of skin off my ribs.

So much is down to conditions though. I wouldn't like to try the Swiss Wall in the ice *at all*, but it was brilliant when we were there because of the lovely snow.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-12-07 0:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wengen the slalom race track at arround 11.00 before the sun had got to it, one long steep sheet of very very hard ice, not one I'd reccomend doing in the morning the downhill finish is in my opinion considerably easier, primarily because the downhill schuss does not have a concrete manhole/pipe sitting in the middle of the piste at the bottom Shocked
snow conditions
Goose Gully on a true ICE day! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
This was nice:

(looks harder than it was, though)
latest report
I know this won't seem much to most of you, but or me it was the first time I did the whole of Run 3 at Schladming, three days after it had been used for the World Cup GS and Slaloms.

It was the first real black I had done, and was still icy from the race.

The worst I have stood at the top of then gone another way was Ptarmigan at lake Louise (which may be the one Helen is referring to above). Dead straight, stee (to my eyes) and moguls all the way.
ski holidays
Corbets.. Shocked
latest report
I am careful by staying away from the difficult slopes but was caught once in Saalbach.

The sun disappeared very quickly during Christmas. The wife and I misread a slope direction (not indicated in piste map) and found ourselves walking a long distance to the last Godolas.

We missed the last Godola in one Christmas and had to descend a 2-mile slope in total darkess.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Something called Le face between Tignes and Val d'Isere it was early and very icy Toofy Grin

That run is awsome. First time I skied it it was after heavy daytime snowfall, next day it was sheet ice. Looking down it in that second run it didnt look at all easy and it wasnt.

Fun tho'
snow conditions
something unpleasent in chamonix that a guide took us down
latest report
Kamikaze in La Plagne. Only a red, but had decided to leave my goggles at the chalet as it was a lovely day, once over the back to Champagny there was cloud that turned to snow. South facing slope had been battered by warm temps and the sun the prior day, and had frozen solid over night. FUnniest was black 3 down to La Thuile. A nice start to the run, but around the 2nd bend and OMG Shocked Kids loved it but me and the boss took to traversing, falling in the crud at the edge, turning the skis and traversing back Embarassed
latest report
Off the top in Lake Louise, down the ribon of death they use for the Mens Down Hill. They had sprayed water onto it to make it faster.
snow report
For me it is any piste packed with people.
ski holidays
Spyderman, Knot Chutes is silly. I got out, but more by luck than judgement.

Sky Dive did for me in Fernie. It's not particularly steep or icy, but I skied it after 3 clear days and the moguls were bigger than your average Pixie. You can only reach it by a long narrow traverse on which my (now) wife weirdly lost a ski which had to be rescued which meant by the time we reached the piste we were all knackered. At the bottom I bailed for the day and got stuck in to a few Smoking Moguls.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy