Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jo66 - ski boot fitting saga

Poster: A snowHead
Danny P, Welcome, i would just like to add that i haven't really followed this thread, nor will i, my concearns are over the brandishing of the term 'Bootfitters' as a buzz word by all and sundry. Could you please tell us if indeed you pitch yourselves as 'Bootfitters' and if so back up these comments.

Quote:

In this type of Salomon boot the .5 sizes are actually the same length as the .0 sizes but that they are 5mm wider.

Sorry. Wrong.

Quote:

For the record we regularly measure people’s feet for ski boots and sometimes perform shell tests.

How can this happen and then the client leaves with a size 27.5? I have only met 1 woman in 11 years of fitting who needed this size.

I do not wish to be involved with the allocation of blame, retailer of clients rights. Simply to establish what the perceptions of 'Bootfitting' are. By definition closing the buckles of a skiboot for somebody could be considered 'Bootfitting'.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thank you for confirming that these statements made by Danny are incorrect. I rest my case my lud!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jo66,

Did you pay for boot fitting or just an end of season bargin boot?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
could this be an apposite time to introduce both Jo and Danny to to my own small business Messers "Sue, Grabitt & Runne" lawyers to the Gentry (and skiers) I thouroughly recommend to both of you a protracted and ruinously expensive legal action to settle this petty matter once and for all.

We are hoping to act for many snowHead 's especially those who may have, or may plan to:
1. fallen off jungfrau region mechanical uplift installation
2. had a bad pint at the Frog & Roast-Pork, Les Manures, Trois Vallees
3. travelled with a low cost airline and not been pampered to within an inch of their soft southern lives
4. got a cold nose (or other exposed, sensitive extremitiy, including, but not limited to, ears, fingers & genitalia) while skiing in New England
5. been on a Speedbreaks ski holiday and not pulled.

Please feel free to contact me through the usual channels, I see no conflict of interest in acting for both parties.

Yours in Law,

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 4-01-08 21:39; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, I didn't pay extra for fitting but I did pay £40 for custom moulded footbeds which also turned out not have been moulded properly! I see nothing wrong in buying ski boots at the end of the season and getting a discount - I'm sure loads of people do it. Buying anything at a discount should not mean getting a lesser service or product.

red 27, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One last point for now - I went to the shop with very little knowledge of ski boot fitting and took Danny's advice in good faith as I believed that he was an expert. At the time I didn't know that some professionals charge for this service. When I bought the new boots at Ellis Brigham I didn't pay for this service either - they offer it free, including modidfications. I now know a lot more on the subject!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jo66 wrote:
DB, I didn't pay extra for fitting but I did pay £40 for custom moulded footbeds which also turned out not have been moulded properly! I see nothing wrong in buying ski boots at the end of the season and getting a discount - I'm sure loads of people do it. Buying anything at a discount should not mean getting a lesser service or product.

Just trying to understand what you paid for and that the service/products are being fairly compared (e.g. an off the peg bargin suit won't normaly fit as well as a tailored suit) . It is usual for shops not to offer a no return policy on discounted/end of season/line goods but this is clearly stated at the time of purchase. I learnt the hard way too, best of luck with your new boots.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting and informative post Smile

red 27 Laughing Laughing

Jo66, I bought boots and footbeds last season from a leading snowsports retailer (not EB!) and had problems with them, I found the footbeds were painful, unusable and very poorly made and, after seeking expert opinion and investing in some new properly made footbeds, took the first pair back to said leading snowsports retailer in the vague hope of getting some sort of refund or credit note. To their credit I was given a full cash refund with absolutely no quibbles and as a result am still happy to shop at their store... at least for anything that doesn't involve footbeds or bootfitting lol!

I'd be interested to see if the same could be said for M&R with regards your footbeds - over to Danny methinks! Smile
Jo66 wrote:
One last point for now - I went to the shop with very little knowledge of ski boot fitting and took Danny's advice in good faith as I believed that he was an expert. At the time I didn't know that some professionals charge for this service. When I bought the new boots at Ellis Brigham I didn't pay for this service either - they offer it free, including modidfications. I now know a lot more on the subject!

I think for most of us any knowledge we have about bootfitting and how to go about getting the best fit for ourselves has come in a similar, and often painful, way so you're not alone!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, No mention of a no returns/refund policy at time of sale. Anyway a full price boot of the same size would have still been wrong for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My new boots that i got at last years 'boot fit' at Lockwoods came out 2 sizes smaller than my old ones (nordica 7.somethings)which were like slippers . My new ones(Nordica Speed Machine 14s) have been a fantastic fit , the only problems i have had were on one trip last year for some reason i had left the footbeds at home rolling eyes a quick purchase of some new off the shelf ones and a trim with the sissors and comfy boots again Very Happy . I guess i'm lucky with my feet tho , they seem very accomodating wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Danny P, Stick Around .... and enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mistermouse wrote:
My new boots that i got at last years... came out 2 sizes smaller than my old ones ... a trim with the sissors and comfy boots again Very Happy . I guess i'm lucky with my feet tho

Ouch....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, no no no no ,the scissors were to trim the footbed not the ...oh nevermind rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Final update from me on this thread:
The Salomons have now been sold via eBay, but unfortunately for only £62. eBay and PayPal will take a small cut of course. Sad
However I suppose this is better than nothing.
I'm out of pocket by approx £70 - I wonder if Danny P would care to reimburse me this amount? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jo66,

70 quid is a small price to pay, I met an English guy in Serfaus just before Christmas who was wearing new fitted boots (fitted in the UK by reputable bootfitters) that had cost him 500 quid - he wasn't happy with them. He said the boots had even caused his shins to bleed. Shocked

You generally get's what you pay for and I'd suggest 150 quid on a pair of boots could be too little. What do the experts here think?
latest report
Jo66, I think you should have gone back and seen him. No recourse from you ...

Don't worry , I've 'wasted' more getting it 'right'. Embarassed Enjoy the slopes. snowHead
snow conditions
Agenterre, agreed.
ski holidays
If this world was fair then the expert boot fitters who have been giving great advice in this thread would get the 70 quid.
snow conditions
DB, I agree - if I got the £70 back I would donate it to SZK, CEM and Snowheads for all the support given.
Incidentally my new boots cost £190 - I hope that's enough!
snow conditions
Jo66 wrote:
DB, I agree - if I got the £70 back I would donate it to SZK, CEM and Snowheads for all the support given.
Incidentally my new boots cost £190 - I hope that's enough!

I'd of guessed from around 200 quid upwards, just send me the tenner. Wink
latest report
Edited 07/01/08 Title changed and to note that this thread represents my experience of ski boot fitting and my opinions of the service I received. This may not apply to everyone, particularly if you had 'normal' feet i.e. not wide, not narrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy