Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's frustrating to not be able to ski as well as I want to.....

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing holiday enjoyment depends very much about what you want out if it.

As with many sports, there is a fine-line between it being enjoyable and basically hard-work. I know when I did cycle competitivly (regional & national championship level) I no longer had the enjoyment of a nice bike ride with nice views and a swift pint somewhere, it was non-stop training.

Me there's room for improvement and I will take lessons, but basically I like my ski holiday, I enjoy the mountains, the views, the food, the beer etc I don't go just to ski.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree with Chris, a video might be good for showing faults but it does nothing for the ego. I much prefer the image in my head where I always ski like James Bond should.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boris, spot on!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissRibena, THANK YOU! Never wanted to admit that I do exactly the same as you... especially the talking to yourself and the sniffling but you have given me the courage to come out of the 'wimp closet' and stand proud and admit it!! Very Happy Embarassed Very Happy

Megamum, Don't worry too much, sound like a lot of us are in or have been in the same boat - I know I'm still in it! My head knows what it should be doing, but darned if I can get my body to do it on cue. And (proudly) I find talking to myself all the way down really helps Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charli939, Whilst at MK last week I felt sure the others were quite aware of me muttering 'stand on the outside ski', 'dig in you swine', keep the hands low', 'weight forwards', 'the sh word!!', 'you prat' etc. etc. I call it skiing with the cogs going round. Management speak would call it 'conscious incompetance'. For me day when I am 'unconsciously competent' can't come too soon. Also, if we are not being proud I too will be lucky not get through a holiday in a large resort with a bunch of strangers without sniffling in the corner 'cos I've got cross with myself and can't get it. You should have seen me when I failed my motorcycle test for the 3rd time (esp. as I was about £800 down at the time in lessons) Embarassed

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-12-07 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I 'fondly' remember my first day of skiing with a rather impatient teacher, laying on the piste in my latest fall position and literally howling like a baby Embarassed I can now look back on it and laugh at myself... I'm sooo looking forward to the day when I can look back on my current frustrations and laugh.... just have to have faith that the day will come!! Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I have a repetiore of self-admonitions of that kind too. I mutter nonsensical bits of half-remembered lessons when struggling. Things like "tray of drinks" "Je sus un avion" "Get your head down the hill you prat." etc etc. I still ski like a duck.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JulesB wrote:
I agree with Chris, a video might be good for showing faults but it does nothing for the ego. I much prefer the image in my head where I always ski like James Bond should.

Which reminds me, did Masque ever get that video wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought skiing is a holiday? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, it is when I go.......... but this bleeding bloke who thinks he's James Bond keeps following me.
wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 13-12-07 21:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, who's James Bong?

wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A spy on springs.
snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JulesB, I actually found watching a video of myself skiing very comforting. I thought I probably looked all stiff and beginnery, but in fact I was skiing pretty well, and it gave me a lot of confidence!

But then Mr Docsquid says I'm weird....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid, I'm the reverse - I watch a video when I think I've been doing well - really whizzing down the mountain, then I see the footage and realise that I could have walked faster Confused
snow report
Grasshopper - Illumination is reaching the point where you accept that you'll never be as good as you'd like to be while acknowledging that you are much better than when you started. You may be cr@p, but at least you are happy Madeye-Smiley ( putting it another way, and with apologies to Dr. Hook. "I'll never be Bodie Miller, 'cuz I'm much too fond of beer!") Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
miss ribena - i really had to laugh at your post! i too am irish and what you described was almost identical to what i have done for the last four years, shouting at myself in sheer frustration trying to get down that slope, with my husband sometimes behind me trying to stay out of the way of the potentially dangerous poles that have been known to fly in his direction! and i have to admit to more than just a sniffle on the lift, more like all out bawling slopeside like a 5 year old looking for my mammy! it really is not the way to behave is it but somehow i find myself reduced to that level of emotional response when i get on that mountain! Embarassed
ski holidays
AxsMan, " Crap but happy" is spot on. Look at the place you are in and feel immensely privileged. Skiing well will not achieve world peace nor feed the hungry.

snowHead
latest report
Does anyone ski as well as they want? Probably only champions, the day they win the race. Not the next week, when they come second, that's for sure. But that doesn't have to stop you having a fantastic day.
ski holidays
pam w, I agree. It isn't just skiing. I think a lot of us are here because we are self-analysers - we like to improve by analysing our own performance. I do the same after every aerobics class - I start off thinking it went pretty well, but then think I could have taught a move differently, or cued better at a particular point in the routine. When I'm cycling I think about whether I was in the right gears and whether I made the right effort at the right time.

With Mr Docsquid being similar, we are very good at being self-critical and criticizing each other. It really means a lot to me when we come off a run and he says "You skied that really well!"
snow conditions
tommygirl, we'll have to start a support group of lift snifflers! Smile

Sometimes I wonder what I can possibly get out of it when it sometimes frustrates me as much as it does but I think the more you put into something the more you get out of it and so when you've tried really hard and it does fall into place (now and then!), it feels all the more fantastic. That and I do love the places and scenery and villages etc. I also think that skiing brings out the best of peoples' kindness and helpfulness (apart from the odd tantrum wink )
snow conditions
A lot of the comments above suggest that people are asking an awful lot of themselves. There's a very Californian but quite useful and interesting book - available to download free at this address http://www.edgechange.com/diamond.asp which divides the different things you need to do into four corners of a diamond - one is technique, one is the line you take, one is the sound and feel of it all etc. It recommends working on one at a time. I can't explain it - read it for yourself. I think it could be quite useful for the over-analysers (a category into which I fall too). You do need to read it with an analytical mind (and a large glass of something) but then you have to learn to focus on just one thing and stop analysing everything! It's also strong on emphasizing that you don't need to ski well to have a good day. Well worth reading and dipping into again and again.

It's really not possible to think about everything at once - you end up doing nothing right, and not having any fun either. Good instructors find one thing and get you concentrating on it. they don't do "tray of drinks" and "roll the ankles" and "dare to dive" and "keep the hips over your feet" and "make nice round curves" all at once!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy