Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's frustrating to not be able to ski as well as I want to.....

Poster: A snowHead
Well it is........I want to be able to do my little white skis justice esp. as I have had a little go on them now. I'm not used to finding that I can't do something as well as I want to, esp. as I now know how to ski (more or less) in my mind. I expect in time I'll be able to - I just hope it doesn't take too long.

Does anyone else try to do anything that frustrates them in the same way? Is it wrong to have expectations of yourself, and how do you know if you are setting yourself unattainable goals.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Practice makes perfect Megamum - it's a cliché but in the case of skiing it's true and the more that practice is regular the better so don't just rely on holidays take yourself down to your nearest slope for coaching and get the hours in Smile

And yes, I used to feel like you do (still do on a bad day) Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, whereas in golf... practice makes inherant swing problems get worse Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, why not ask the question on BZK? Shocked wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, I don't think its a technique issue or even a true question in that sense - its just a frame of mind........frustration.......yes that's what it is..........frustration
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga wrote:
Practice makes perfect Megamum

I always think of practice makes permanent, practice bad stuff it's permanently bad, practice good stuff it's permanently good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, It's the same no matter what your standard, as your knowledge increases, you realise there's so much more to learn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, dont worry. It is a feeling we all carry.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, but that's perfect for BZK... Little Angel Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, It's practice and more practice to make your body do what your mind wants it to do. The miles under your skis as an instructor told me a long time ago.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, FWIW, lessons with an instructor and mileage on your own. It's what I try to do.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, People who know far better than me are telling you the same things I did last Thursday. No substitute for Km and lessons!

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And the solution to Km is a lottery win, and emigration to Switzerland.........think I'm going to be frustrated a while yet. I know the snowdome is within striking distance, as if a dry slope, but I can't help thinking that the money I'd spend at such places could be saved to go towards real trips to the mountains........def. Frustration!! It's a good word.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"It's frustrating to not be able to ski as well as I want to..... "

And that feeling will never go away; as you get better, you just want more Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a mo, that's close to a definition of an addiction!

the more you get it, the more you want it, so it must be true.
latest report
Megamum, skiing frustrates me in a purely aesthetic sense in that I can do exactly what I would like to be able to do, but to ski with the aggression of Bodé Miller and the style of say, Anja Pearson, is proving to be decidedly difficult!
snow conditions
not that I am anywhere near being as good as Sir Miller..
snow report
I get very frustrated by not being able to ski as well as I want to. If anything, that frustration has grown the more skiing experience I gain. Happily the frustration motivates me to do a little bit better rather than making me want to stop, so it's not really a big problem other than challenging me to keep my head sorted when I ski.
snow report
Megamum, Think the other way round - learn to enjoy any skiing. It isn't something you have to do. It is a leisure pursuit. There is no one true goal you have to hit. If it becomes something that is a chore and that you feel you are not doing well enough, you need to do something else.

Otherwise get lessons, plenty of them, and from more than one instructor at more than one hill. And ski with lots of other people. Eat a germknodel, have Tartiflette on a French Terrace. Don't let your inner parent's critical appraisal spoil it. You are still a relative beginner. Fall, have fun...
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Does anyone else try to do anything that frustrates them in the same way? Is it wrong to have expectations of yourself, and how do you know if you are setting yourself unattainable goals.

No, but I too am impatient with myself, and want to improve on skis far faster than I am able to. However, I teach a physical/mental skill - one that I have been learning since the age of 11, and am pretty good at. To me it's easy - 2nd nature, to my learners it sure isn't and I find myself counsellng them about having patience with themselves, espcially adults who are frustrated when youngsters learn faster (sound familiar?)

What is very useful is that two of my learners are skiers who, while not experts, are at least competent "social skiers" able to tackle most pistes with confidence. We went to Tignes together last April and it was very interesting to have the tables turned; instead of me being the expert and advising them to relax, they were saying the same to me!

Oh, the skill I teach? Church bell ringing. There is far, far more to it than the uninitiated realises, I can assure you. It takes a good number of lessons just to be able to handle a single bell safely and independently and then comes the learning to ring it with good timing, and after that there is an infinite number of methods to learn (something like patterns/tunes) and skill/endurance challenges to take part in (peals & quarter peals). After almost 40 years, I am still learning (because I choose to) and have not run out of challenges yet.
snow report
germknodel!!

Never heard of it - lets hope its not a wind up when I order it and out comes a side order of bulls whotsits!! Shocked
latest report
Megamum, not a wind-up, good eating dessert for lunch, but only if you're planning a siesta afterwards Very Happy
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, very true. I can't really remember being frustrated, just motivated to improve. I enjoy any time I get on skiing. Over the past couple of years I've become a bit obsessed with skiing and am just glad enough that I can go out, however rarely it is, and cut up as many snowboarders as possible.

And germknodel is disgusting Very Happy
latest report
CEM wrote:
roga, whereas in golf... practice makes inherant swing problems get worse Little Angel

Spyderman wrote:
I always think of practice makes permanent, practice bad stuff it's permanently bad, practice good stuff it's permanently good.

Now, now boys that's why I mentioned coaching in my post NehNeh

Megamum, I hate to admit though (coz they're just nitpicking Wink ) but they have a point and I should have made it clearer above - make sure you get coaching/tuition rather than just practice because that's what'll ultimately lead to big improvements. Practising on it's own can embed bad technique which is not what you want to do Toofy Grin
latest report
Twenty days min per season, 30-50 to make leaps. Lessons every chair ride provides all the examples in good and bad techniques a rider needs.
Not 100% true but very close, course I'm 8 days in and still just building legs and waiting for snow without a following warmup and rain on snow event. Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, I go to lessons every week, practice every time I can't be bothered with the housework i.e pretty often and I still have that feeling. I think the goals I have are a bit unrealistic for my age and fitness - I love germknodel which doesn't help with the weight issue Toofy Grin and I think I started too late to get to the level I want. I agree with stoatsbrother, on this one, you have to try to keep things in perspective and just enjoy !!

p.s It's a huge sweet dumpling covered in poppy seeds
ski holidays
http://asware.net/gallery/v/chilling_zone/zellamsee2004/0127_G.jpg.html
snow conditions
Megamum, I get frustrated all of the time. Frustrated that my skiing sometimes still falls apart on piste. Frustrated when I can't ski as well as I did the day before.

If you saw me ski then you probably wouldn't understand what I was dissatisfied with. But it's all relative.

I know a top level British ski instructor who wouldn't wear his badge for a couple of weeks last year because he was didn't think he was skiing "at the level".

I think frustration is good. It means you want to get better. Follow the good advice above. But if you're really hooked then you'll find the frustration doesn't necessarily go away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I'm with stoatsbrother, here - enjoy the skiing you do. By all means take lessons and improve, but I think there are some things you just have to accept that you may not be able to do as well as you would like for a number of reasons.

I would like to be a better cyclist and ride road races but have to accept I'm just the wrong build - But I still enjoy the cycling I do
latest report
Megamum, Two thruths;

Everyone thinks that they should ski better. Some more than others !

Everyone skis better than they think they do.
ski holidays
ski,

Agree with the 1st one..not sure about the second.

Megamum, That is what makes it the sport it is....you keep coming back to it...because no one cracks it.....there are just varying stages of 'cracking it'.

So you aren't alone, by being frustrated by skiing ..Laughing Laughing
snow report
Megamum .. thanks for posting this. I feel the same. I think it's even worse if you are a perfectionist.

Lots of the time, I'll be having a go at myself on the way down (aloud - the shame Embarassed ) 'weight forward, you eejit ... don't bloody-well sit down, weight on the downhill ski, watch the shoulders! or NO! NO! Noooo!' etc. etc. I get really cross with myself for not doing it the way I know it's supposed to be done. Other times, I've had a bit of a discreet sniffle on a chairlift with pure frustration, which is not to be recommended while wearing goggles I might add. Then I get cross with myself for being such an impatient two-year-old. But I'm too stubborn to give up and then the next run down it clicks and the buzz is fantastic and I think I'm the bees knees. Nobody knows (apart from MrRibena - who can ski grrrr) that I go through all this stuff, so I decided rather than worry about the men in white coats that lots of others must go through it too.

Just to reassure the snowheads in case I get banned from any of the bashes .. most of the time I'm grand - promise Smile
latest report
MissRibena, Glad you talk to yourself as well Embarassed I've also been known to beat hell out of my right leg with my ski pole !! Embarassed
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Well it is........I want to be able to do my little white skis justice esp. as I have had a little go on them now. I'm not used to finding that I can't do something as well as I want to, esp. as I now know how to ski (more or less) in my mind. I expect in time I'll be able to - I just hope it doesn't take too long.

It is all about practice.

Ski for roughly 20 - 30 weeks and your body will soon ski like your head.
snow report
I hate that feeling that you know what you are doing wrong but can't seem to stop doing it. Confused My last instructor looked at me in disbelief when I told him why I was in a heap on the piste, sitting back, he said if you know what's wrong don't do it. rolling eyes Bless him he was French, he looked like he had fallen out of glossy magazine, most of the women were swooning, I think I was cramping his style a bit. Laughing Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Whitegold, please don't tell me that's every year Shock

Megamum, This may sound a bit corny, but evry so often it's worth looking around you at the top of a slope and just being thankful you've had the chance to be in some of these spectacular places.

Then lose the plot on the way down Very Happy
snow report
JT, I don't think I got down quite what I meant.....which is, when I see a mate having a bad day on their skis - it usually doesn't look much different to how they normally ski.. hence the comment.

What I didn't mean was how people describe their abilities, especially in the bar on an internet forum. Laughing
snow report
ski wrote:
JT, I don't think I got down quite what I meant.....which is, when I see a mate having a bad day on their skis - it usually doesn't look much different to how they normally ski.. hence the comment.

What I didn't mean was how people describe their abilities, especially in the bar on an internet forum. Laughing

I know what you mean. I will often think I've done a really rubbish run and I should retire from skiing and take up chess. But when I see it on video or someone gives me a bit of feedback most of the time it isn't really that bad - not great, but not appalling either. It often happens when I try to think too hard about what is going on, rather than trying to turn off my brain and just going with the flow. I'm a much happier skier when it do it with an "empty mind" Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, I have exactly the opposite problem. I feel like I am skiing like Hermann Maier and then realise that people are laughing and pointing at me.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy