Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche risk - should i be worried?

Poster: A snowHead
In some meadows in the Jura after work. Some of the sheltered areas have held good snow but the vis was not great and the snow got quite heavy the lower I went. Tomorrow I hope to be in Les Arcs or La Plagne.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A PS to my last post, it has been dumping down snow here in Villars for three days now. Avalanches are coming off everywhere, and we are a resort not know for avalanche terrain. Please be careful, even if you do know what you are doing.....or worse, think you do! Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My sister-in-law skied Klosters/Davos (Gotschna/Parsenn) yesterday and said it was fantastic, with fresh tracks down the side of the pistes all day... And I have to work in the UK this week typically.

Av risk 4 though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avalanche Risk 4: "Natural and human triggered avalanches likely. Unstable slabs likely on a variety of aspects and slope angles."

Interestingly, if you Google Avalanche risk 4, this thread comes up as 4th hit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be interesting to see how many people crying out to get guides and all this crap do actually ski backcountry and off-piste in extreme conditions. Seems like a lot of the posters are the ones who just dib and dab in the powder and then assume they're experts.

:/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, you can find out if you read the profiles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski poles at dawn then! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
We ventured "off piste" (the same as you describe) in Tignes today, waist deep powder.

But we all ski with Tranceivers, shovels, probes and the knowledge of how to use them. But all in all I'd say you'll be ok.

Not alot of the lifts are open at the minute..

Having been caught in a small avalanche (when skiing with a guide, cutting between pistes) and been lucky enough to still be here, I'd suggest that hauling that equipment around with you puts you in a good position to look for your mates' bodies. IMO it's a bit like saying that you carry cutting equipment in your car in case of a crash on the motorway.

And I'm not doubting your ability as a skier (which you mentioned in a later post), but isn't the more important ability being able to read a slope, the snowpack, the prevailing conditions, and assess the avalanche risk?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
greg66,

It is said by the car insurance industry that ABS is one of the worst things to happen in the car. Many drivers beleive that as they have ABS they can drive like nutters and break in 1 second on any road condition.

Is it not the same for off piste skiing. I read so much talk of I have this trasciever, that shovel etc, equipment can help but expereince and caution rank higher? Equipment is giving some very inexperienced off piste skiers ideas well above thier station, so to speak
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
greg66 wrote:
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
We ventured "off piste" (the same as you describe) in Tignes today, waist deep powder.

But we all ski with Tranceivers, shovels, probes and the knowledge of how to use them. But all in all I'd say you'll be ok.

Having been caught in a small avalanche (when skiing with a guide, cutting between pistes) and been lucky enough to still be here, I'd suggest that hauling that equipment around with you puts you in a good position to look for your mates' bodies. IMO it's a bit like saying that you carry cutting equipment in your car in case of a crash on the motorway.

And I'm not doubting your ability as a skier (which you mentioned in a later post), but isn't the more important ability being able to read a slope, the snowpack, the prevailing conditions, and assess the avalanche risk?

in fairness to Spikyhedgehog he/she made no comment as to any unability to read a slope, lack of knowledge of the snow pack or prevailing conditions, and made no comment to suggest any reckless skiing. Spiky simply was saying that they were off piste, enjoying themselves and had the necessary equipment that is recommended for off piste skiing. No idea why everyone is coming down on Spiky, it is not as if Spiky has said 'great day on a sun backed 40 degree slope after a new massive dump of powder, ripping it up as a pack of mates across the top of the run'.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greg66 wrote:
Spikyhedgehog wrote:

I agree with you totally, equipment is only a precaution and I always take the upmost care to see that I am skiing sensibly I try to read the terrain as well as I can. I do believe it is possible to find 'safe' powder without taking stupid risks. Yes there is always going to be a risk, but I'm willing to accept that as I do with any other risky situation in my life.

Just to be clear, I'm not a hardcore backcountry hound and I would never dream of venturing into unknown territory without and experience guide.

I'm sure I feel the same way about the risks as many of you on here, some people just seem to have misunderstood me and for that I apologise.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spikyhedgehog, well said, I would have just said Be Nice please! them Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reading through this Thread reminds me of my Avalanche 'Coffee Table' reading in France.

An Analysis of French Avalanche Accidents for 2005-2006, (.pdf download)

This is a sobering account of reality.

I confess to reading through it every week.

It keeps me very focused throughout the season.

I would urge any backcountry skier or boarder, or any contemplating backcountry or off-piste to read this and learn something from it.

(Also Volume 2, 2006-2007 ) (.pdf download)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, good post
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Jonpim, mistakes are occasionally made. Wasn't it Val Thorens that the pisteurs brought a big slide down on to one of the lift stations?

That was the Peclet Funitel which was closed for a while in 2004 IIRC.
ski holidays
BernardC, brilliant reading.

The accounts about the people being swept into the Lake at Tignes really scare me. Shocked
latest report
Ditto BernardC.

Probably a good time to point people at White Risk.
snow conditions
BernardC wrote:
Reading through this Thread reminds me of my Avalanche 'Coffee Table' reading in France.

There are 2003, 2004 and 2005 version too if you are really bored.

Timmaah wrote:

It would be interesting to see how many people crying out to get guides and all this crap do actually ski backcountry and off-piste in extreme conditions.

I never ski off piste above risk 5. Laughing
latest report
Here are the Stats upto 2004 for Austria (In German).

In 2004 there were 356 Deaths in the Mountains.

48 Were Avalanche deaths.

Interesting to note more people die in the summer months than the winter 100 Mountain hiking and also 20 suicides!

Full details

http://www.alpinesicherheit.at/index.php?menuid=120
snow report
davidof, .... you are too modest ..... wink Reading these reports should be mandatory.

For me the 2005-2006 Analysis is stark. I have skied where most of these people died.

Note Well the professions of the dead skiers.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-12-07 21:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
BernardC, Were any of them furniture removers? Very Happy

Sorry for the flipancy, a very serious point and one that without snowHeads, and links to sites such as Pistehors, I would be shamefully ignorant.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 12-12-07 16:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BernardC wrote:
Most of these people died where I skied.

For God's sake man, stop skiing!

Sorry, not a laughing matter, but I couldn't miss that oppotunity Smile
latest report
.... there's always bright sparks on here ..... Laughing

I have now edited out the statement above .... which may have regretably created for some, a picture of considerable carnage in my wake .... wink

Frosty the Snowman, .. & .. rob@rar, ... I know you two .... I bet you're all-beat up, crying and sobbing in sorrow at your flippancy & opportunistic laughter ..... Toofy Grin I'm sure you were both bold in school as well ....
ski holidays
BernardC, Laughing
snow report
BernardC, well found.... and davidof, for all the great work on Pistehors.
ski holidays
loatie wrote:
Hi everyone -
This time last year we were worrying about lack of snow - now there seems to be so much that that the avalanche risk in Tignes is posted as high. I know - we can't have it all and it's lovely to see the slopes with so much snow on them. We don't ski 'off piste' much - basically just to have a play beside the pistes or to maybe cut across from one piste to another.
We're off to Tignes on Saturday for a week and I'd just like to know from everyone what the risk is to people like us - are the warnings, although of course to be observed by everyone, more directed at dedicated, serious off piste skiers?
Thanks - i know I'm a worry wort!

Check the avalanche warning at the base of the main lift or the tourist info office each morning - if it's a 4 or higher, recommendation is not to attempt unless with a qualified guide who can also help you to identify high risk exposed areas. The winds have been high, creating unfavourable conditions on steep off piste areas. Check also the colour of the flag at the base of the main lifts. Checked yellow/black= a risk of 3 or 4; black is don't even think about it!!
In Tignes this week, 2.5 metres has fallenover the last 10 days. It is superb even on the pistes.
Have a fun and safe holiday.
Zoe
snow conditions
zoe phillips, I think you should take some time to read all of the above... especially the stuff regarding Tignes. Are you saying that you're happy to venture out as long as it's under level 4?
latest report
zoe phillips, welcome to snowheads by the way! There is a Swiss-based contingent using the site if you are in need of sliding partners...

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Nicholas, hi there ,im off to verbier on monday for a week.there are four of us going,it would be nice for four to come back,i just watched the vid you posted,not nice,that guy was very lucky,ive just sent it to the rest of my gang .cheers.ive got a family,is it worth going off pist when you have got miles of runs. snowHead
snow report
chris boarder wrote:
ive got a family,is it worth going off pist when you have got miles of runs. snowHead

The answer to that is highly personal, I'd say.
ski holidays
loatie, Sorry to kinda go against the tide but why don't you just ski the pistes whilst it is level 3+. Anyhow the pistes should be proper mint at these times
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy