Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[2009 Update] Ski Club of Great Britain AGM: The patron saint of snowHeads becomes Chairman

Poster: A snowHead
alex_heney, I was mearly commenting on what seems like a very unhealthy obsession with a club that has almost no impact on snowHead since that day long ago when it closed its chat forum to non members.

Yet people seem to get all up tight and wound about anything that happens with the scgb. Should these issues not be thrashed out on their chat forum.

I have no problem with them being discussed her as this is an open froum about all things snow related and alot of things that are not just trying to get to the bottom of the bitterness Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The following data may be relevant to the points above:

This thread (SCGB issues): 80 posts. 10,871 views
Another current thread on Piste (Sat Nav issues): 98 posts. 1,146 views

Given the ... err ... obsession with consumer electronics on this forum (vis-a-vis 105-year-old clubs) that strikes me as heartening.

Apparently the Proprietor is sending me a snowHeads fart cushion as a reward for this performance, though that information came from a weird mole-like beaver that just crept past my desk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:

Given the ... err ... obsession with consumer electronics on this forum (vis-a-vis 105-year-old clubs) that strikes me as heartening.

Apparently the Proprietor is sending me a snowHeads fart cushion as a reward for this performance, though that information came from a weird mole-like beaver that just crept past my desk.

But if you resurrect a thread from like erm 3 years ago then, and which provides history of the 'launch' of snowheads, then it's likely to have be a hot porato at the time, and be then regularly linked to by other snowheads for the benefit of newbs..

Lies damn Lies and statistics

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 28-11-08 14:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, yeah but this thread has been live for a whole year! See there's lies, damn lies and statistics. 93% of beavers agree with that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, snap. Mine mentioned furry mammals tho' so better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You're tempting me now to find a 1-year-old thread with a high post count and a pitifully low view count.
You have been warned
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
You're tempting me now to find a 1-year-old thread with a high post count and a pitifully low view count.
You have been warned

Perhaps one on Snowheads T's & C's might meet that criteria wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:

Nope, it just prooves that people are more interested in watching car crashes than avoiding them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Another current thread on Piste (Sat Nav issues): 98 posts. 1,146 views.

Er - don't google bots play a role in the number of views.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latchigo wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
.... dam? No beaver would make that kind of remark.

Perhaps the club should undertake missionary work in Sunderland to encourage more people to ski with the reps ?
The offpiste at Silksworth is VERY dangerous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was hoping someone would want to talk about the role of trees in skiing, instead of all this rubbish.

Am I alone in being aware that skis used to be made out of trees?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Further information
The shagbark hickory tree: http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/shagbark_hickory_08.jpg

Skis were made from these trees, in the days before fibreglass (early 1960s). Plant one today and hug history.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Parts of mine still are, unless those "wooden cores" are sourced elsewhere these days Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, I recall visiting the Fischer ski factory about 20 years ago, which was a huge consumer of timber at the time because of its cross-country ski production (and the other cores they machined for their alpine skis). Most ski factories just buy in components such as cores, but Fischer had a big sawmill etc. (maybe not now?)

My impression is that the timber of a core doesn't require such strict quality and resilience/characteristics as when it's the predominant structural component of the ski. I think wood cores these days function more as inexpensive spacers of the fibreglass/composite box or sandwich around them. I doubt if they're made of hickory.

What concerns me generally is the brutal ignorance of trees by the ski world generally. It was said that 200 ancient pine trees were felled to clear the land for Arc 1950 (did Intrawest create plantations elsewhere to compensate?). The enormous tree-felling - mainly in N.America - to cut new ski trails has been done mainly in the past 30-40 years: a very short time in natural history.

In my view, the ski industry should be a major promoter and funding source for forestry, instead of simply trashing the mountain and exploiting its natural resources. End of sermon.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, well I confess that I don't know a lot about ski construction, but the makers still seem to promote "wooden cores" as a desirable feature. This could just be marketing hype for all I know.

Does seem a shame that the SCGB have let their planting initiative slide as it were. I don't suppose a lot of people knew that Sad
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I thought the last time you actually went skiing, even the boots were made of wood... wink

For those who do care about the AGM, a formerly active snowHead has fed back about it on the SCGB forum - to which this discussion might profitably (or not-for-profitably) adjourn.
snow report
If you'll permit me, that's the type of exclusionist proposition which is a serious issue for our Club. Several members last night highlighted the deficiency in youth membership (personal subscriptions, rather than family ones) - something that might be 'profitably' discussed with the wider world. The internet is breaking down traditional barriers. The research and intelligence needs to be inclusive.

If you want to sell more youth memberships, it's not necessarily wise to confine the discussion to middle-aged and elderly decision-makers.

It was interesting last night to see the staff (average age 20-25) watching a large CCTV video monitor in the bar which was relaying the decision-making in the library, where the members had an average age of 50-60. It's said that we have a high membership of 18s to 24s (because of the decision to increase the age inclusion of children in family memberships) but these members were not present. So the young staff had no communication with potential revivalist tendencies within the membership itself.

It all felt slightly surreal!
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
If you'll permit me, that's the type of exclusionist proposition which is a serious issue for our Club.

The thing is David its not our club. It belongs to members of SCGB - many of whom probably are snowheads but will go a on the SCGB forum to read up on whats happening. The price of bacon in Switzerland concerns me more than this !
ski holidays
Quote:

deficiency in youth membership

Have a look at most of your threads/posts on here on this and related subjects and ask yourself why it might be that anyone under the age of 104 would fall asleep within 30 seconds of walking in the door.
snow conditions
Fair point, Smokin Bacon
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
If you'll permit me, that's the type of exclusionist proposition which is a serious issue for our Club. Several members last night highlighted the deficiency in youth membership (personal subscriptions, rather than family ones) - something that might be 'profitably' discussed with the wider world. The internet is breaking down traditional barriers. The research and intelligence needs to be inclusive.

If you want to sell more youth memberships, it's not necessarily wise to confine the discussion to middle-aged and elderly decision-makers.

It was interesting last night to see the staff (average age 20-25) watching a large CCTV video monitor in the bar which was relaying the decision-making in the library, where the members had an average age of 50-60. It's said that we have a high membership of 18s to 24s (because of the decision to increase the age inclusion of children in family memberships) but these members were not present. So the young staff had no communication with potential revivalist tendencies within the membership itself.

It all felt slightly surreal!

Bar viewing was due to the fact there was no space in the main room and also because they were working.

Age is a relevant issue though. University ski clubs got a mention, but so did complaints that reps could not continue past 65.

An AGM in Wimbledon means the same people turn up every year - enthusiasts and those who are local. Not necessarily the best way to encourage participation in the running of the club. Though the council may not particularly want participation. As one Snowhead said, he does not feel like a club member . The flippant reply was that he was on the list as a member so therefore he was.
snow report
Latchigo,

......................and like Woolworths, The Co-op and Wengen............they will slowly die as their customer base dies. They have to move with the times but the SCGB refuses !
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, It is only grumpy middle-aged gits like you and I who are sad enough to even contemplate going to the AGM. The SCGB staff were young (ie cheap to employ) and probably had to be there. Nice to see the "family membership" bee in your bonnet again. Glad to see the selectively skewed interpretations of yore.

Just why have you left your hermits cave? Are you actually planning to ski this season? Toofy Grin
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The Ski Club of GB is, at the end of the day (apres-ski, in other words), a private members' organisation. It is also the self-declared 'spokesbody of British skiers'.

Is there some sort of disclaimer or public proclamation I can sign which states categorically that the SCGB does not speak on my behalf. I'd hate anyone to think that it did.
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
Latchigo,

......................and like Woolworths, The Co-op and Wengen............they will slowly die as their customer base dies. They have to move with the times but the SCGB refuses !

Very true....but I will really miss Woolies.

I got sacked from the Co-op though (direliction of duties on the bacon counter which may be relevant to your post)

I do not think Wengen will die and I hope SCGB survives too.
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, except the membership has been increasing... by 10% in the last 2 years...
ski holidays
Lizzard, your insults are rubbish so I won't bother to respond.
Try a few Groucho Marx scripts and imagine that I'm Margaret Dumont.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 28-11-08 17:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, doh ! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, When Mr Goldsmith has raised that canard before - I believe it was pointed out that that the quote came from a mission statement from 1995 - or similiar. And that the club had long since disavowed that role...

Why do you chaps take anything DG says about the club seriously... rolling eyes
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Smokin Joe, except the membership has been increasing... by 10% in the last 2 years...

Then we are back on discussions about whether 24 year olds are real 'children' or not.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
rob@rar, Why do you chaps take anything DG says about the club seriously... rolling eyes

You really should have been there last night. It was all very civil. Nothing like the flame wars you get on the net. DG was spotted in conversation with internet adversaries.

That said, additional members who can 'harrumph' are always welcome. It adds to the atmosphere. [ Here, here ! smiley]
latest report
David Goldsmith, perfectly serious point. You remark on the dearth of young club members while at the same time banging on incessantly about a load of incredibly tedious rubbish. Assuming that you are typical of the membership, it's hardly surprising that the place is dominated by boring old farts, is it?
latest report
Latchigo, indeed... we have been there before

But actually even the individual memberships went up 10% between 2006 and 2007

This year the membership is 28.7% under 24 and 23.3% aged 25-45. And 8% "age unknown" (presumably forgetful old buffers...) 3.9% of the membership could remember they were over 65.

Not exactly an elderly demographic despite the usual stereotyping we see on snowHeads Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 28-11-08 17:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,

The Ski Club of Great Britain's official communications policy for 2008:
Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
As well as being a club, the Ski Club is the voice of recreational snowsports in the UK.

Source:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/presscentre/faqs.asp#skiclub

As I've previously pointed out, this broadens the Club's mission from merely being "spokesbody of British skiers" [1995 mission statement] to being a spokesbody for skiers, snowboarders, and anyone else who slides snow.

As a member of the medical profession one would expect you to base assertions on factual analysis that exceeds that of the average hack. I'm very very careful not make things up where the Club is concerned.

You say that the SCGB's membership has risen by 10% in 2 years. The official data is:

Quote:
Paying units:
2006: 17,854
2007: 19,139
2008: 19,114

Source: SCGB 2008 annual report
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, total membership 30609 > 33761 = 9.1% So I exaggerated by 0.9%.

It isn't going down though is it?

As for the quote - that is from a page pimping their rent-a-quote service... (£20 a time?)

I would ask why you are a member since you don't appear to ski - and seem to hate every bit of the club except its history, but a more interesting question is why you have returned to snowHeads...
ski holidays
[quote="Frosty the Snowman"]
Quote:
The offpiste at Silksworth is VERY dangerous.

I can verify this - having been nearly run over by a BMX, while assorted Mackem hard-lad types looked on from the comfort of their Kappa shell suits. Fortunately they were nice enough lads & having confirmed that I wasn't a skunk were quite apologetic.

On the SKGB point - while I know and have met many members who are perfectly nice inidivduals there is something particularly "club like" about them when all together.
latest report
fatbob wrote:

On the SKGB point - while I know and have met many members who are perfectly nice inidivduals there is something particularly "club like" about them when all together.

I rather imagine them to be like the 'downhill only club' brigade as featured in 'on the piste'....would that be fair?
ski holidays
bertie bassett, may be for the over 65s.... But there are some DHO snowHeads - why not ask them? The DHO does seem quite close to the SCGB in Wengen.

fatbob, I guess that is true of any club or group - including perhaps even snowHeads on bashes?
snow conditions
bertie bassett, The DHO membership is not so quite "Hooray Henry" these days as the On the Piste programme .
snow report
doctor, I'm wondering if you should make the career change from medicine to spin.

The reason the SCGB's gross membership went up this year, while the paying units went down (impossible if all things remain equal) is that things did not remain equal. The effect of the Club's decision to include 18s to 24s as dependents within family memberships was to produce a 6-year automatic growth in gross membership (even if paying units remained level or declined) and that is obviously still being played out, year by year.

I know of no other membership organisation which regards 19-year olds, 20-year-olds, 21-year-olds, 22-year-olds and 23-year-olds as (effectively) children. Since these are the offspring of A B C1 households, because of the SCGB's demographic, they will generally have fled the nest at these ages to enter higher education etc.

For that reason - particularly when determining membership growth percentages - I think it's best to work with paying subscription units only.

But suit yourself .... sir.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy