Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[2009 Update] Ski Club of Great Britain AGM: The patron saint of snowHeads becomes Chairman

Poster: A snowHead
For me the SCGB has lost any reason to exist. I know the discounts can be handy for some people, but I struggled to get any value out of membership only ski ing once a year for a week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just in... the footage from the AGM. A special sneak preview before it goes on SkiTV...
http://youtube.com/v/OMSic0V-Xww
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swiller, you have a remarkable talent for switching on the telly with the help of a mouse. Are you able to do it by yourself?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisb, if you ski once a week only and don't ski with the reps, you probably should not be a member. I ski 3 weeks a year - and am a member only because my regular skiing buddy has a strong preference for skiing at a resort with a rep. That said, I have found the Club forum useful for getting together members of a group to go skiing with (with an instructor for one day, and a guide for 3days). Interestingly, I got a lot of useful advice in setting up the the group here - but the actual membership was derived mostly from Club site input. So maybe the club is benefiting me more than I have thought. Certainly, both forums have been useful.

Bode Swiller, oh you are a naughty boy. Nothing like whipping up dislike based on a a bit of class aggro here whilst you pimp your mates' magazine on another thread. Tut tut. Razz
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Laughing Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, You can do better than the Monty Python clip. It is not very original.

On the same subject, Dave is rather miffed that you copied much of his old strap line :-

'Purveyor of the world's finest pre-owned user names for your posting pleasure'.

Us Goldsmiths are very fond of our own written words and do not like to see them misused.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller, oh you are a naughty boy. Nothing like whipping up dislike based on a a bit of class aggro here whilst you pimp your mates' magazine on another thread. Tut tut. Razz

IS that pimping? Telling folks about a FREE e-mag all about one of their fave subjects and on a forum that's all about that subject, cannot be pimping. The fact I know the crew there is irrelevant too. And I'm not charging rent or doing it for any other commercial purpose. Let's face it you pimp the hell out of your social club. As for "class aggro", I dont think so. It's a joke (go look up joke) and SCGB members I know would laugh along with it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, hang on, I think achilles, was joking too! Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, hard to tell. I expect he's upset because I called my teddy Achilles
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[misquote="Bode Swiller"] ... and Sockpuppet Club of Great Britain members I know would laugh along with it.[/misquote]

No they wouldn't
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, methinks the gentleman doth protest his innocents too much. Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, I approve your honourable signalling of a misquotation. There is a creeping habit on here - of which I may even have been guilty myself Embarassed - of making a misquote look like a real quote. Deplorable deception. (signed, Sir Herbert Gusset (Bart.)

If I had a sock puppet, I think I might call it Sir Herbert Gusset....

My bear, on the other hand (the first bear I have ever owned, and only acquired a couple of years ago Shocked ) is called Henry, after this man.

PJSki, who's been massacring innocents? Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Talking of misquotes and sockpuppets, I see PJSki's back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, There ain't half bin some clever barstewards. John Stuart Mill was one, but I have never heard of your man. Trouble is their ideas only work in a civilised society.

Thomas Hobbes is more kick @rse. The Clint Eastwood of the philosophy world.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, I daren't, on this thread, explain exactly why my bear is named after Henry Sidgwick. It is only partly because I warm to some of his ideas, both philosophical, religious and political. wink
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Hurtle, hard to tell. I expect he's upset because I called my teddy Achilles

Not I . But the Society for Environmentally Pure Travelling Independent Cranks (SEPTIC) are furious; you have knocked their hero, who emphasises the importance of feet. Clad in Edwardian tweed from sustainable sources, Septics (as they like to be known) walk to the Alps, and carry on walking up the slopes to ski down for the only run they will have time for before walking back to Blighty. These zealots are looking for you in all the toff watering holes, so that you can be bound in avalanche cord for incarceration in the White House. You have yourself only to blame.

Quote:
IS that pimping? Telling folks about a FREE e-mag ....

Now SEPTIC do approve of that. They fully favour liberating advertising from capitalism, and are networking like mad to tell their industry pals about it. I'd tell your mates to get in more phone lines to handle the calls; they'll be inundated. Madeye-Smiley

Quote:
..let's face it you pimp the hell out of your social club.....

Ah. Guilty as charged, but it's been embarrassing. The huge number of membership applications resulting from my signature link were all very welcome, and it was suggested admin be nominated as president. Then someone on t' Committee noticed they were all from addresses down South. This caused outrage, as it was realized the Club was at huge moral hazard (mind you this was only after some members realised there was somewhere south of Stamford). I expect I'll be drummed out of the club.
snow report
achilles wrote:
I expect I'll be drummed out of the club.
You and DG could offer each other moral support.
ski holidays
This is fun. Seppo, Toff, Pimp, FISH.
snow report
Another year. Another AGM. The Godmother of snowHeads, the Ski Club of Great Britain, held the AGM of its 105-year reign last night at the White House in Wimbledon. The President - distinguished polar adventurer Mr Robert Swan - was not in residence, so Neil Britten (the Club's Chairman) took the chair. He gave a very lengthy and informative presentation on the club's ethos, objectives, legal obligations and potential legal exposure to rep-led off-piste skiing. This subject preoccupied the meeting.

That, I'm afraid, is about all I'm willing to report at this juncture (due to on-going 'negotiations' with the proprietor of this shop Mr Fritz McCopyright) but other more kindly souls might be willing to say more. Several registered users of this forum were present at the meeting, and got to their feet to speak. There were interesting suggestions from the floor that the AGM might be transmitted via Ski TV, though Ski TV has an audience base which is partly 'non-member' (those who pay £10 only to be able to log in). Marks & Spencer is one organisation which makes a live web-based transmission of its AGM to registered shareholders. Perhaps snowHeads plc will one day look at the entertainment value of such an event and transmitting it (which obviously requires the consent of those being filmed).

The Ski Club of GB is, at the end of the day (apres-ski, in other words), a private members' organisation. It is also the self-declared 'spokesbody of British skiers'. Therefore the boundary between its accountability to members and 'public accountability' is an interesting line to draw. The Club is heavily involved in commercial publishing to the public, information provision to the national media (including the BBC) and so on.

I would close by once again drawing attention to the worrying words of achilles above.

achilles wrote:
I expect I'll be drummed out of the club.

That is what he expected. The reality, as we know, was subtly different!
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, My mole tells me that you were at the AGM yourself, are you still banned from posting on the ski clubs chat forum? or has natural justice pre-vailed?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
David Goldsmith, My mole tells me

I'm afraid I don't believe you. How many legs are there on this mole?
latest report
Shouldn't this stay in the SCGB section?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
The Club is heavily involved in commercial publishing to the public, information provision to the national media (including the BBC) and so on.
I've only been around a couple of years so don't really get all this SCGB thing (Though I was involved with the IAM for a bit and the organisation sounds a bit similar in an MCC/FA sort of way, if you see what I mean... - just my impression) but for all their supposed commercial side I don't think I've ever heard them mentioned in the press Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

My mole tells me that
gang of four not elected.
ski holidays
That's enough molesh!t. Ed
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
David Goldsmith, My mole tells me that you were at the AGM yourself, are you still banned from posting on the ski clubs chat forum? or has natural justice pre-vailed?

It's pretty obvious David had to go in under cover. He was the chesty blonde one in a mini skirt on the front row doing that sharon stone move all the time; allegedly.
snow conditions
Don't tell me. You got that from your beaver.
latest report
DB, that'll be where the mole references came from then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Don't tell me. You got that from your beaver.

Actually someone commented that your beaver looked a bit thirsty as her tongue was hanging out.
ski holidays
Returning to moderately serious issues:

1. Swiller's mole is correct. Four long-established members of the Club seeking to scrap the new rules restricting off-piste repping to defined limits were not elected. The fab four elected to Council are: Martin Ashley, William Bell, Sally Robson and Lally St Maur.

2. The Ski Club's current proposition on the public 'Join the Club' page of its website ...

Quote:
Please note: 50p of your annual membership fee goes towards a long-term tree planting scheme and other environmental projects.

... should be ignored. It has emerged that the Club's funding of the Woodland Trust from this membership levy ended two years ago (i.e. 2006, according to the Woodland Trust) and that no tree planting has been funded by the SCGB since that time. £20,000 from this membership levy went to the Woodland Trust between 2004 (when the levy began) and 2006. The phrase "long-term tree planting" implies, in my view, tree planting in the long term (since it does not take long to plant a tree).

Trees are, of course, vital to skiing. They stabilise very fragile and thin soil at high altitudes. They stabilise snow on otherwise avalanche-prone slopes. They often provide a refuge of clear visibility from white-outs on high slopes. They provide tree skiing (though this is very controversial, since saplings between mature trees are often damaged by ski edges, which is why tree skiing is illegal in parts of the Alps). They maintain ecological sustainability and diversity (cover for wildlife etc etc) on mountains. Trees also suck CO2 from the atmosphere by photo-synthesis. The Woodland Trust was originally recommended to the SCGB as a tree-planting partner because it is a highly reputable registered charity which did not make claims about 'carbon balancing' or 'carbon neutralising'. It is involved in the long-term management and conservation of woodland.

I've no afiliations to the Woodland Trust, but this link may be of interest if you're thinking of planting a tree or two yourself:

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk
latest report
Interesting. In other words, people joining since 06 have been misled. The Klub needs to put that right. There they go again pontificating about green issues while all the time not keeping up their end of the bargain. Guess they're too busy heli-skiing poor things.
ski holidays
I was quite impressed that I can say things with impunity at the AGM.

They are subsequently minuted to another Snowhead.
snow report

Frankly my dear, I couldnt give a ..................
latest report
.... dam? No beaver would make that kind of remark.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
.... dam? No beaver would make that kind of remark.

Perhaps the club should undertake missionary work in Sunderland to encourage more people to ski with the reps ?
snow report
Does anyone really care what goes on at the SCGB other than the members? Can I take it that everyone on here is a member than?
snow conditions
Ordhan wrote:
Does anyone really care what goes on at the SCGB other than the members? Can I take it that everyone on here is a member than?

It is a secret. Like the Freemasons.
ski holidays
Ordhan, no, not everyone on here is a member: there seems to be some kind of weird, and to me incomprehensible, obsession with the Club on the part of numerous non-members. I am a member - probably from sheer inertia, if truth be told - but frankly don't give a toss about its politics.
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:

Almost every topic on here is only of interest to some of the people here.

If you aren't interetsed in the SCGB, then don't read threads which are about it.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

What advice (keep it polite, please, or I'm in trouble!) would you give the new Chairman of the Ski Club of Great Britain?

Don't eat yellow snow!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy