Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help the force of the dark side is too strong

Poster: A snowHead
AD, that's good to hear (about the boarding, not the queues) - welcome!!! The progression with boarding is certainly quick and, as you say, the basic balance just clicks at some point.

Best of luck on the next trip. Chairlifts get easier and even drags are no longer a problem after a while (although they are never actually completely free of that nagging doubt).

Next week i will be trying it in reverse. With the snow is such poor condition I think that I may as well learn to ski as the boarding will be mediocre at best.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AD - that does sound excellent - am hoping it works out just as well for me - competent in 3 days sounds fab!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No!!!! Tony........don't do it!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TONY. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???!!! Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Philip Prior and Richie, with all of the stories of rocks on the pistes, rental shops working around the clock repairing skis and rental shops not hiring out top gear, I am rather reluctant to wreck the base of my board just so that i can "make do" on the pistes.

I have quite fancied giving skiing a go for some time and this way i can do so without missing out on good boarding. With any luck, there will be new snow later in the week and i can return to the Real Thing wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obi Wan once thought as you did...................you don't know the power of the DARK SIDE!!!! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tony Lane, are you taking a nice all in 1 and a fanny pack to "fit in" with the crowd as well while you are sk=ing???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philip Prior, sshhh, but my real intention is to increase the power of the Dark Side by gaining knowledge of the light. Then, we can ensure the complete collapse of the Federation (of Skiing)... ha, haha, haha...

Dan, unfortunately there is no time to perfect my disguise. I will have to make do with absentmindedly standing on boards in the lift queue in to order to look like the real thing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just fight the urge to drink Pimms, and you should be OK.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mmm...strawberries, cucumber, mint....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tony Lane, I sympathise with your plight. I too am a boarder who is considering crossing to the dark side when i go to les arcs in a week's time, I've got a new board and i dont want to wreck it on the first day....mind you i am taking the board anyway, if it snows then i'll be out on the slopes pushing all the snow downhill like the skiers keep complaining... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's nice to be able to do both. Board for powder and park, ski for ice and super-hardpack.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is ponder, also there's certain runs that are fantastic on skis but too much like hard work on a board. In courcheval there are two really long drags that lead up to some fab slopes they are almost deserted. Me and my wife spent many hours there but on a board i wouldn't go near it. I am trying to sort out a long stay for next season in the alps and if the snow in europe is anything like this year my skis will come in very handy indeed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a lesson last night at Gloucester dry slope - it was great! Am crap at balance on toe edge but heel edge was easy!!!! Although calves were feeling really knackered by the end of the hour! I reckon a few more lessons before holiday will be a great idea - if i can get the hang of it a little on a dry slope then hopefully on snow it'll be a doddle!
The dark side rocks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zippy wrote:
Tony Lane, I sympathise with your plight. I too am a boarder who is considering crossing to the dark side when i go to les arcs in a week's time, I've got a new board and i dont want to wreck it on the first day....mind you i am taking the board anyway, if it snows then i'll be out on the slopes pushing all the snow downhill like the skiers keep complaining... wink

Sure you haven't arrived a few days early? wink By 10.30 yesterday the single plankers had already ruined some of the unpisted reds and blacks!!

Still there's hope for you darksiders yet. Masque is threatening to go back on skis for Friday's day on the slopes!
snow conditions
These boarder-skier territorial problems don't exist on the darkside of the moon.
snow report
You need to boards. One for perfect conditions and a cheap dekc for dodgy snow. I was happily riding around in Avoriaz last weekend on decent snow the on dodgy red littered with rocks and...............scrape and scratch......the bottom of my Ride Timeless looks a mess.

Still no excuse to don "the evil that cannot be spoken". Twisted Evil
latest report
by the way that should have read....2 boards! rolling eyes
snow report
Come to think of it that post of mine is littered with errors. I can't even use alcohol as and excuse!!!!
snow conditions
well deep respect if you do at use it as an excuse at such an early time of the day, Philip Prior...!
latest report
Just old age eh Phil! snowHead
ski holidays
Philip Prior wrote:
Come to think of it that post of mine is littered with errors. I can't even use alcohol as and excuse!!!!

wink
latest report
Just back from Tignes (almost literally, thanks to the rockslide that prevented the Eurostar leaving Bourg St M. on Saturday night).

Philip Prior, i have an alternative solution to the problem of dodgy pistes - rather than have an old board, go on holiday with a guy that owns a snowboard shop and who has blagged 6 brand new demo Burton boards from the 2005/2006 range (yes - that's right, NEXT year's boards!!!). We had a great time boarding around on new top of the range kit, trying it out safe in the knowledge that our own boards were safely back at the apartment!

As it happened, I didn't end up skiing. The reasons for this are:

1. Tignes did an amazing job of keeping the pistes in good nick - despite the rubble-strewn mountain sides, the pistes were good quality hardpack with virtually no ice, no rocks peeking through and only a few loose stones. Many of the runs have been much icier on previous occasions, even when there was more snow about generally.

2. new snow arrived on Tuesday.

3. the demo boards removed my concerns about wrecking my own board (see a new thread with full details)

4. we had a great group of similar standard boarders and it would have been a shame to have taken myself off for ski lessons, thereby missing out on the social aspect of the trip.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-01-05 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tony, I knew you would not disgrace the brotherhood of the darkness!!!! Cool

What a result......new demo boards. I think Snowheads Darksiders need to be the UK test team for this shop????? rolling eyes
latest report
I think Snowheads should provide us with a sponsorship deal for the trip to Alpee Dee!! Afterall, the group of 7 of us that will be boarding (and the two renegade skiers) could provide a great advertising opportunity both on the slopes AND in the bars!! Very Happy
latest report
"The Dark Side of the Force, the fabric the holds the universe together, is the holy grail. It's the only way, it is your destiny."

The Imperial Empire is strong, their influence is far reaching, many have already fallen."

It has taken you many years of training and discipline to master the complex ways of the Ski Force. The Force is strong in me, I have many skills, but the Dark Side is hard to resist, the Empire is influential and many of my group have already succumed to the Empire's mind tricks."

I am a Jedi, and WILL convert to the Dark Side. There is NO escape.

On Sunday, after 3 days boarding, I carved down a black and when it flattened a bit put in a 360 (on the snow not in the air) on the command of my instructor. I later tried to ride up a sidewall of a red and knew then that my life had changed.

I spent lunchtime today in a quicksilver shop trying on green baggy trousers even though they won't go with any of my ski jackets. What is happening?
ski holidays
With each passing run your 360's grow stronger...................................

Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
no!
i resist the dark side! i will not fall...i will not...!!!
i have two magazines in front of me, both opened...the article respectively is..

1. 2005 skis buyers guide
2. 2005 snowboard buyers guide

...which one should i read?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Become a cross dresser?
snow conditions
Im off to les arcs in april hopefully catching the last snows. I originally asked for help with this thread help to defeat the dark side, yet alas its too late. I will be heading off to les arcs without my skis but with me will be my GNU board My burton mission bindings and my Shaun white boots. To top the lot on friday after 2 hrs boarding at Excape in castleford i bought the baggiest board pants in the world.
I am now officially beyond help and at 34 i should damn well know better. my wife is two yrs older and is looking more and more like a advert for burton with each purchase she makes.
Enoch you know which one to read more than that you know which one to buy your from sydney being on a board should be in your blood!!!!

laters DOOOOOODS!!!!!!
snow report
><
but my pants arent baggY!
and im too poor to buy new ones!
ski holidays
Well guys - the dark side has beckoned - and I think it might have won!

Just back from a week learning to board in Soll - and its been a fantastic week - although very painful.
I now have gained alot more respect for boarders - the falling over is a killer (even with knee pads, bum pad and wrist guards!), they're unmanouevrable on the flat and chair lifts are an experience.

But by day 3 I was linking turns on a red slope - feeling very pleased with myself... snowHead Laughing

Took my ski boots - expecting to want to spend the last day cruising the Ski Welt on skis, since I wasn't that adventurous yet on a board but they got left in their boot bag - wanted to spend the last day practising a bit more on the board!

So next steps - boarding holiday next year to get better and time to search for a board to take on that holiday!!!
snow report
mountain mad wrote:
Well guys - the dark side has beckoned - and I think it might have won!

it almost sounds like you thought that it might not...remember, the Dark Side always wins!
snow report
really?
i picked up the skiing mag NehNeh
latest report
And used it as Toilet Paper! NehNeh
ski holidays
haha
i had a snowboard before..i sold it and bought ski boots Laughing
snow report
I drink plenty of beer if I want to walk funny!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy