Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 'snowcam'

Poster: A snowHead
David, deliveries only within the Espace San Bernardo, Highgate is just a tad too far North.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
What is the deal if I use your roof top as a ski jump? large Quattro Formaggi with meat topping?

saikee - Well, it would be if I ate meat! If you skied off my roof I think you'd resemble a pizza. It doesn't have much of a kicker.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just seen on Les Arcs site, that they are not going to open until the 18th december as "not safe enough for anyone to ski".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The current condition of the ski slopes makes it impossible for anyone
to ski safely.

The problem is that the last time there was a fresh fall of snow was more than 10 days ago, the
snow on the ground has melted a great deal due to the warm temperatures and ‘foehn’ (wind
from the south). In addition, these conditions (which continue) have made it impossible for us
to produce sufficient artificial snow. As a consequence, we are unfortunately currently unable
to open our ski-slopes to winter sports activities. Skiing is just too dangerous.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Current forecast suggests full sun for the next five days, and not particulary cold either. A front bringing some moisture is supposed to be moving across next Tuesday night/Wednesday.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry what does "a front bringing some moisture..." mean? Is that a possibility of rain or snow?

As far as I can tell La Plagne is suffering the same fate.

I am very new to all this, is there any where we can get to so that the week (18th onward) is not wasted?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris M-J, in these situations glaciers are the places to be (though the demand to ski them obviously becomes overwhelming). You need to be in place early in the morning, especially in Christmas week.

The Grande Motte glacier above Tignes is the key venue in that part of France. There are smaller glaciers above La Plagne and Val d'Isere. Areas with good snowmaking obviously provide plenty of skiing too.

That said, nature could come up with a welcome surprise for the Christmas hols. Good luck!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, According to Flaine "Mild temperatures have not allowed sufficient artificial snow making". So snowmaking isn't always that usefull Sad

When is this winter going to start Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whether's the mositure's rain or snow depends on two factors, where the air comes from and how high it is. If the FAX charts and the gfs model for next week are to be believed, I'd suggest the front will cross Thursday. It's the low behind that that could kick start the season (Friday & saturday). Of course, and this is a big caveat, model forecasts for 7 days ahead will change.

Also, Christmas week's too far away for specifics, but the models are showing a reasonably promising trend. I wouldn't rule out the week up to Christmas....yet. Confused

[EDIT: that's not to say there won't be some smaller amounts of rain/snow before Thursday, but I reckon it'll be from then that you're likely to get decent amounts]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 10-12-04 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

When is this winter going to start?

This is no place for gloom or doom, but late-starting winters are not rare in the Alps. Memories are short, and the situation was critical until February in some of the late 1980s (and 1990) winters. Even Scotland used to enjoy reliable early December snow through most of the 1960s and 1970s.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should my luck not hold, and we get no snow before 18th in Les Arcs, any idea how easy and how long it is to drive to Tignes?

Thanks for the up lifting thoughts though...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris M-J, if the snow doesn't arrive then I suspect your only ploy is to get up at the crack of dawn or earlier and zip down to Bourg St. Maurice (20 min drive from Arc 1600?) and up to Tignes (about 40 min), but these timings are based on clear roads.

Alternatively, you could use the Paradiski link to La Plagne to get up to its glacier, though this is quite a complex route using the lift network.

Best of luck with everything.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to dampen the thoughts of glacier skiing but if there is no more snow then Tignes Glacier will be like an ant hill, Huge queues for the lifts, very badly crowded. Go for a hike!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Chris M-J, if the snow doesn't arrive then I suspect your only ploy is to get up at the crack of dawn or earlier and zip down to Bourg St. Maurice (20 min drive from Arc 1600?) and up to Tignes (about 40 min), but these timings are based on clear roads.

Alternatively, you could use the Paradiski link to La Plagne to get up to its glacier, though this is quite a complex route using the lift network.

Best of luck with everything.

There are some major roadworks between the Val d'Isère/Tignes road intersection and Val itself (new junction, be careful, I've already seen two close calls this week!). Alternating traffic at the roadworks, really slow. By the look of it they'll be there for some time....
Traffic is going to be heavy heading up to Espace Killy, that's for sure. Ste Foy definitely won't open. La Rosière, Les Arcs? Living in hope for the pre-Christmas week. La Plagne? A red and a few blues open, but for how long?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, from what PG has been posting about La Plagne that option might not be viable. Even if you can get up to the Bellecote glacier, which as you say is a bit of a lift-borne trek from the Vanoise Express, and IF it is open (not often in winter - but if there is little else available in LP they might use it), there are only a couple of shortish but quite steep and bumpy runs. Blue on the piste map but definitely red. Best of luck Chris M-J
ski holidays
Thanks for all you help and advise.

I will have to give something a try. Perhaps the drive to Espace Killy.

Get little enough time off to let getting up early put me off (I get up at 5.30 most mornings anyway).

Fingers crossed (and anything else biologicaly possible) for snow....
ski holidays
It seems to be the same every year. Resorts open in December with no snow, or at least very little, and hundreds of skiers get ulcers as they fret about the conditions.
Then in April with superb conditions and lots of snow the resorts close.
It is time this ridiculous state of affairs was corrected.
snow report
One of the "ancient monuments" of Les Arcs was talking about this at committee last night. Reckoned it as bad as he ever remembers it being. And he goes back a long way!
snow report
Update... some pics from Les Arcs on Monday Dec 20th and Tues 21st in this album.....
ski holidays
Yet again, excellent photos PG, can't you just pop over to Bad Hofgastein for me? Their webcams are truly awful Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
PG, great shots. How does the 'Ancient Monument' feel about prospects for the season now? He wasn't the model for photo 2012 013 by any chance ??
ski holidays
PG, wonderful Christmas presents. Hope it stays that way till we get there on the 8th Jan
N
ski holidays
The memory banks of "Ancient Monuments" tend to be modified by years of Genepy, for a start there is still enough reservoir water left for snowmaking - about 4 or 5 years ago they had used all reserves to get the resort open for Xmas in Les Carroz.
. but PG many thanks indeed for the exciting pictures - the great thing about webcams is that they are bolted to a pylon. These I can tell were taken on snow (either that or you have invested a lifetimes earnings in a zoom of immense proportions), which just turns me green.

Bonne Fetes
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, that photo was taken in the Ice Grotto up at Arc 2000 (top of the Transarc)... ever visited it? Well worth it, a Chinese theme at the moment.

click to see high res image
This is the Vanoise you're staying in, by the way ... photo taken on Dec 27th. More photos taken Dec 27th and 29th here...

Getting a bit rocky in places, especially on the steeper pistes - no better at altitude either. Was over in La Plagne today, the hoped-for snow didn't really materialise, apart from a hour-long blizzard that turned up mid-race on the Jean-Luc Crétier stadium, making conditions really quite dangerous. Still, was a good day all in all! wink Photo of "hannou" here, in the second of three GS runs...
ski holidays
PG, nice technique from Hannah (I'm very envious), although she seems to be GS'ing in the powder!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, wasn't too bad then, the blizzard arrived just at the beginning of the 3rd GS, so you can imagine what the conditions were like by her start number of 115 out of 127!
latest report
PG, thanks for all the pics. Never been to Les Arcs so it's all new to me. Hotel and Peisey area look good. Now all we need is more snow. Good to see Hannah in something other than that luminous green jacket wink
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, the cannons should be working away all week as the forecast is for pretty cold temps, but full sun predicted by Meteo France at least until Thursday.... Confused

Afraid the luminous green jacket was back on display at the end of the race wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For 1st postion on the podium, she can wear anything she likes. Please pass on snowHeads congratulations. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
I assume it's the club jacket and not a fashion statement. wink
latest report
kuwait_ian, on the subject of races, if you do stay the first two nights in Bourg, are you an early riser? wink The Saturday morning I have to head for the hills pretty early as it's round 2 of the regional races, in Les Arcs for once - a super G on the Saturday (two runs), a GS on the Sunday. Should be finished around lunchtime or just after, on the Saturday...
ski holidays
PG, yes I'm an early riser but Saturday afternoon is probably the best time to move over to the hotel if I can't get in 20/21st. They probably won't have the room available before then. Sure I can sort out a taxi or something if necessary - didn't FS say he was offering some sort of taxi service round the resort ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-01-05 9:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
That should fit in ok for me, if the races are on time - I could run your stuff up later in the afternoon to Plan Peisey, meet you at the hotel ...
latest report
PG, what piste are those races on? I'm in Les Arc that week and would like to see a bit of racing.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, no final decision as yet, the super G most likely at the 1800 stadium, but the GS may possibly take place on the Cachette at 1600. They'll decide a bit nearer the time, depends partly on conditions. Possible get-together with Masque on the Friday 21st (think he leaves the next day?)
snow conditions
PG, I get to Geneva at 4.30pm on the 21st so unlikely to get to BSM much before 8. If anybody is around for a drink that evening...
ski holidays
Yeah, I'll be around. I'm staying at PG's place 15th-29th. Might have to stop by and watch some of the racing, too. However if the pistes are as empty on a Saturday as people say they are, it'd be a good day to try and get a full day's skiing.
snow conditions
skanky, Looking up at the slopes at the moment, they're pretty empty. Traditionally quiet in Jan, plus not the best conditions. Still Saturday is the best day to ski, and the second series of races takes place the following day, Sunday, if you're around...
ski holidays
PG, ...well I'll be around. That's the great thing about two weeks, I won't mind taking a couple of hours off to watch. I just hope there's still enough snow for them to race on. Confused

Though I hold out some guarded optimism for next week.
ski holidays
Just updated the webcam, slopes very empty now, at least the guy coming down the top section of the Cachette still seems to be throwing up some powder!
ski holidays
PG,

What's the pistes like? Teletext is saying rocky?? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy