Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 'snowcam'

Poster: A snowHead
Hope to set up the 'real thing' at some point (beyond me technically right now), but in the meantime I'll put up an updated image whenever there's something interesting to show, and as soon as the snow comes, once daily....

Les Arcs 'snowcam'
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, That webcam image of the snowcannons on 8th Nov is superb - a lovely ghostly aura to the scene. Bit late for Halloween. Wink Many thanks.

{ BTW your site is firing off an adaware cookie monitor alert. Not a problem if you are deliberately trying to track visitors - but if it's some sort of hijack you might want to investigate. }
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, Have you any idea when Les Arc's webcams go live again?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris B, for the high altitude webcams, in theory when the resort opens, in practice France Telecom left it too late last season, discovering more or less on opening day that there were 'technical problems'. Took them a month or so to sort them out. (Arc 1800 and 1950 cams function all year round)...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Updated early this morning, Les Arcs 'snowcam'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, great pictures. Keep them coming. If we can't be there (like you, lucky sod) then at least we can look and dream.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks PG, actually the shots in both of your threads are identical, so you may not need to create a new post every time, we can just keep clicking on the top one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, two threads of mine in snowReports - one on Les Arcs, one on Tignes. The photos are different, of each resort. Within one thread, when I take new shots it is occasionally worth a new post, otherwise the thread drops down and eventually out of the section (after a set 30 days). The webcam is only mentioned when fresh photos have been added.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The snow cannons are doing their best.... but as can be seen from today's photos, taken at Arc 1800, little natural snow as yet.

A general atmosphere of optimism around the resort, as the rush begins to ensure all work is completed in time.

The restaurant "Chez Les Filles" at Charvet was full to the brim at lunchtime... as I was on leaving, having dined with the workers on pâté en croûte, chicken and pasta (seconds if desired), as much cheese as you could manage, a massive slice of coconut cake in chocolate sauce, 2 coffees, while helping yourself from the tasty Savoie red, bottles replenished on the long cantine style tables as and when they were emptied. All for 11€50 !! Wonder how much lunch "Chez Les Filles" will cost when the season gets under way!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow cannons in Peisey-Vallandry kicked into action tonight, so hoping it stays cold until the real stuff arrives in a couple of weeks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit too warm for comfort for the next couple of days.... but then.....

Friday morning, Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and zero at 200m on Saturday Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, it goes to show how much variation there is, it's really cold here and will be for the next few days. No snow though Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, GREAT TO HAVE SUCH CLEAR PICS. The 1800 webcam is not that informative really, flying_squirrel, how about a squirrel cam at P-V?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a dump forecast for Friday Very Happy

A Squirrel cam would be a great idea.

Meg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Squirrel Cam is a possibility, now that I own a digital camera.
Not much point at the moment, as its quite green. Snow should be in the village within a couple of weeks - plenty of time yet!
snow conditions
snow cam by day, totty bar cam by night Wink Embarassed
ski holidays
Dan, Laughing Laughing Laughing cracking idea!
snow conditions
PG, Just been on www.snoweye.com - did you know that your "webcam" shots feature there Puzzled

http://www.snoweye.com/cgi-bin/pagegen3.cgi?page=fr-tarentaise
ski holidays
Submitted to a couple last week, a few seem to have added it now. Prefer Snoweye though...
ski holidays
Hey, well done PG - it is a great photo Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks Cathy. Got a nice pic yesterday afternoon that's still there for the time being - the moon just above the mountain...

There won't be any long distance shots today... blizzard conditions at the moment! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
PG, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I saw that one yesterday - really excellent with the moon. But like today's better snowHead snowHead (PS, when you hover the mouse over the picture it still has the caption of view of Cachette......)
snow report
Cathy Coins, thanks, I'd better change that for something more generic... have to be optimistic that there will be plenty more days of "poor visibility"!!
snow conditions
I see visibility improved in the afternoon PG Very Happy
latest report
Afraid so! Still, it's forecast to be very cold for 3 or 4 days, so the cannons should be hard at work...
snow conditions
PG, Are the BSM locals aware of our obsession with forecast/webcam watching and how do they perceive this behaviour?
The guys I know in Annecy think were all nuts.
As the BSM locals rely on the snow for a living are they similarly obsessional about snow watching?
ski holidays
I have been watching the Les Arcs web cam every day and haven't seen any local levelling the mountains of snow blown out by the snow cannons yet.

We take a keen interest in the snow condition because that is our holiday. I think BSM will miss a ot of visitors if they haven't got web cams or people like PG to report the condition on the ground, while the other resorts are showing fantastic conditions for skiing.

PG's information is the best I have seen yet. Many resorts only put up the web cams when they are in a decent condition to show off or use a historical shot. Very few show a clear and large shot as Les Arcs, where you can see the daily changes too.

I consider the web cams from Val D, Tignes, Les Arc, 3 Valle, La Tania, St. Martin Val T and La Rosiere together do give a comprehensive view of the snow condition within Tarentaise. I doubt if there is anything near to that quality of information avilable elsewhere.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, I asked the resort why they didn't get the cams at altitude working until the beginning of the season and the answer was a Gallic shrug. As you say, snowy scenes go a long way to selling the resort, as does honest, factual information. I was talking to the BSM manager of the tourist office who was at the ski club AGM tonight and he said he would give it some thought..... mind you we'd both got through the best part of a bottle of red by then, so whether he'll remember....

There are some French language forums, a Paradiski one and a Les Arcs one. Most saying the same thing - why can't the resort itself have a quality webcam like this 'amateur' version? Whether the powers that be will take any notice though, if someone is doing their job for them, free of charge, is another matter.

I've been puzzled over the apparent lack of change in the size of the heaps of snow. Though someone said that the week of very low temperatures before it snowed has helped. It's weird, there's some sort of temperature inversion, because while at altitude it's been very warm, even on the north-facing slopes, down in the valley this past week the temperature has barely risen above zero.
snow report
Boardski, I get the impression they've seen the snow come and go so often at this time of the season that they refuse to get worked up about it. I have had some funny looks when I've mentioned the subject!
snow report
Typical French attitude!

I remember skiing down to 1600 the terrain was very bumpy and now I know the reason why.

Tarenatise has potential and selling points far more superior to Porte Du Soleil or Dolomites but the resorts never work together to put themselves at the top of the league.
ski holidays
Saikee, couldn't agree more there's over 1,600 kms of pistes in the Haute Tarentaise valley, but I don't know whether there's a rivalry between the Val d'Isere lift company and Company Des Alpes that's prventing co-operation.
latest report
David,

I know Petit St Bernard or Picolo St. Bernard as it is called from Italian side is closed during the Winter. Is it a major undertaking to keep it open?

I drove throught numerous times in the summer and didn't think it is all that difficult to keep it open. The section between La Thuile and La Rosiere cannot be that long. Am I right is thinking parts of the La Thuile piste are actually the mountain pass.

Having said that the magical feeling of skiing between the two countries may be degraded if they open the pass in the winter. However it may open the flood gate for many Italian and Swiss skiers.

BTW what happen to the huge deck chair used to be displayed at the centre of La Rosiere? Does it hold the world record for the biggest of its kind?
snow report
saikee, it's closed by about the second week of Nov. I think they don't even bother to try and keep it open. If you've a 4x4 with snow chains you can drive over for a few weeks. By about Feb the snow on the col is usually pretty deep, I've seen it piled up to the level of 3rd floor windows of the Hospice. When I was in La Rosiere 2 weeks ago, I had the first enquiry of the season for the alternative route when the col is closed, there are always one or two a season who drive past the col ferme signs on the N90. Parts of pista 7 are the road section, you can see it from Lo Riondet onwards. We always get lots of Italians coming over to La Ros, they like skiing in the sun, whilst we like going to La Thuile. Some of the off-piste skiing above Fourclaz and Piccolo San Bernardo is superb as is the skiing through the trees down to La Thuile.
The deck chair hasn't been around for a while but there's to be an attempt on a new world record on the opening day of the season, the longest human-chain link on skis.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-11-04 13:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Red run no.7 joins the road from the col Piccolo S. Bernardo to La Thuile for a fair part of the rums 11km course. And there's a lovely road/piste side bar half way down. You can't keep that road open in the winter - it'll ruin the sking!

[Edit, I'm too slow typing - David beat me too it.]
snow conditions
There is something special in the La Rosiere/La Thuile combination. The 11km San Bernado run is one of it and I never missed it whenver I went there. I asked the question because I am reasonably sure I was skiing on the snow-covered mountain pass in San Berando piste.

PG showed us some very nice photos of the mountain pass at the end of the winter season this year.

As a skier, and on account the French lay back attitude, it would be better to retain the current La Rosiere/La Thuile magic charm.
latest report
First pistebasher of the season at work this morning on the Cachette piste, Arc 1600, in preparation for the coming weekend's opening of the resort. This afternoon's shot of the piste should show the mounds of artificial snow all but disappeared.

No more snow forecast over the next four days, warmer Wednesday and Thursday, cooler again Friday, mostly full sun...

http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/webcam.htm
snow conditions
Saikee, I don't think there's any problem there, La Rosiere is very special and very different to the rest of the Tarentaise. Development is very tightly controlled so I don't believe it will ever become a mega ski station. Mind you if the slopes above the Col de Petit san Berbnard are ever developed then it could become ahuge skiing area. On pista 7 you would have skied on the road from just before the Roxi, which is actually below the road, then picked it again from Lo Riondet, the road curves around behind Lo Reindet the piste then follows the road most of the way into La Thuile. If you know where to jump off you can ski off-piste through some gardens to get to the Rascard for the one of the best pizzas you'll ever eat. I be having one soon.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you know where to jump off you can ski off-piste through some gardens to get to the Rascard for the one of the best pizzas you'll ever eat. I be having one soon.

David, do you deliver?
If you ever trespass my garden for the local pizza joint I'll demand a very large Quattro Formaggi.
latest report
David Goldsmith,

What is the deal if I use your roof top as a ski jump? large Quattro Formaggi with meat topping?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy