Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Season 07/08 Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
george_1, Jealous you're out there already; this time next week I'll (hopefully) be getting fairly close to Val Thorens for my season.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossfra8, nicely done!!

Im considering that for next year... Work for my parents when I get back, they let me live with them for free, then give me enough money to go away for a few months, repeat until they just give me the money anyway, then relocate to a ski resort... Very Happy

stewart woodward, fancy a beer tonight? I think I owe you at least a million for letting me use your internet!! We will be in all evening, pop round if you fancy going out for a couple of beers somewhere, you can show us where we can get the seasonnaires discount Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some photos:

View from our apartment.

George's keraaazzy 180 that he didn't land. rolling eyes

Me being awesome.

And that's all for now.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very cool pics Cool Going green
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spikyhedgehog, I see the man has bought his fish eye lense. We have not met but I hate you already wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
george_1, I might see you next year then ha ha! i want to hit revelstoke to find out what all the fuss is about...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did land that 180 by the way...

just ate snow on several others...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
george_1, Only another 540 to go and you will be considered cool Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, shhhh I dont want the cool people to know that the extent of me spinning around is only 180.. Sad Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spikyhedgehog, great photos! Good to actually see all that snow. We're out there on the Atomic Boot Camp next week, so I'm not quite so Going green as I might otherwise have been snowHead

Btw, you & george 1 might want to consider changing your locations from Cheltenham/Leeds... Tignes has so much more of a ring to it Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spikyhedgehog, beautiful pics (except the people of course) wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jo225, you don't have to worry about the snow, the skiing is fantastic, as is the snowmaking and the piste management, you will have to give us a shout and we can meet up for a ski! Also, good point, I LIVE IN TIGNES!!!
snowHead snowHead snowHead

Nick L, thats the drink i was going to buy you gone!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jo225, george_1, and any one else in Tignes next w/e, be good to meet up for a shandy or four.

Will post something on trips to see who else is around but would be good to get something going Saturday night Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hofmeister, I'll be there ....I'm on the transfer bus Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spikyhedgehog, nice skis Smile
snow conditions
Haha, they've got fire on them. So they MUST be good. wink
snow conditions
The Next Official Instalment:

Lastnight the others arrive, which made me realise how cramped the space we have is, I cooked for everyone (because I'm nice like that) then we went to scottys for a couple of drinks and came home and slid around on the fresh snow snowHead

We tried to get to sleep pretty early but I didn't fall asleep till about 1, so was tired when we got up at half 7 today to get breakfast and sort everyone out.

me and Spikyhedgehog went down to le boisses to drop the car off at the fre parking, but for some reason the buses were being a major pain and we waited an hour before driving back up to lavachet and leaving it in a slightly risky spot. Damn the Tignes website for lying about the buses!!!

We managed to be up on the slopes for about 10.30 and met up with the others who had just bought their season lift passes which left them €990 lighter in the wallet.

We skiied all over and even managed to find some untouched powder from the snow the night before, even though it was about 6-7 centimetres in the village there was about 15 up on the glacier, and as the park hadnt been bashed, or ridden, we had a nice run through some reasonable snow!!

The double M piste is still in good shape, though there are alot of small rocks up at the top.

the fresh snow really gave the pistes alot of life and there was some seeriously good skiing to be had today. so naturally, we had it
snowHead snowHead
snow report
A good 30 cms forcast for tonight and tomorrow.

Woop! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Anyone got any suggestions for somewhere to stay in Val Claret for 3 nights from Sat 8th? Reservation website proving pretty hopeless, & the places I've e-mailed direct are full. My sister and I may have to emulate that guy in Bansko at this rate! Toofy Grin
snow report
vetski wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for somewhere to stay in Val Claret for 3 nights from Sat 8th? Reservation website proving pretty hopeless, & the places I've e-mailed direct are full. My sister and I may have to emulate that guy in Bansko at this rate! Toofy Grin

What type of accomodation are you after? Drop me a PM lots of availability at the moment
snow conditions
stewart woodward, have pm'd you as suggested - bit of a new sport for me, so please come back on this thread if you don't receive it.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, whered you get your fisheye from? if so how much etc etc.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, yeah I'm interested in what fisheye you've got? And what camera for that matter, those pictures look good, I'll be there soon with my gear, defo up for trying to take some shots that make me look like I know what I'm doing and any piece of kit that might help me do that (like a fisheye to distort my unatural body positions) would be sweet!

I've got another leaving party to go to tonight, this is the 3rd one now, I'm getting the feeling my friends think they are never giong to see me again........whatever, just over a week and I'll be there, get the kicker built, get the fisheye ready and I'll show you how to wipeout spectacuarly!
ski holidays
Spikyhedgehog, yes I've just bought a new Digital SLR and that fisheye looks wicked... please let me us know what it is (that is if you get time in between all that skiing)
ski holidays
First off it's actaully george's..

We've both got Nikons so we share the lenses. Between us we must have about 5 grand's worth of kit. Which isn't good when I think about it.

It's a Nikon DX 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye, it's basically just really good at doing it's job. Because of the nature of the lens you get 180 degrees camera angle. So anything in front or to the sides of you will be in the photo. All were taken on My D80, george has a D200 because he's rich. Toofy Grin

bensley, what make camera do you have. If it's Nikon I'm sure you can borrow some of our stuff.

There's a few more taken over the last couple of days. Shall put them up in a bit.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, Ive got a Canon so will have to do my own research then !
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I already did the research for you: Canon don't offer a fisheye for their digital SLR range yet (unless its a full frame sensor like in the high end Canon DSLRs) the closest you will get is to get a Tokina wideangle lens, cant remember exactly what the lens length is, about 10-17mm i think...

Another option is the Sigma 8mm (full 180 fisheye on full frame, but on DSLR is cropped but has badly Vignetted corners)

Rossfra8, I managed to get it for a seriously reasonable £350 from a skate photographer who I know, but they usually go for about £450 - £550 in the UK
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, I already did the research for you: Canon don't offer a fisheye for their digital SLR range yet (unless its a full frame sensor like in the high end Canon DSLRs) the closest you will get is to get a Tokina wideangle lens, cant remember exactly what the lens length is, about 10-17mm i think...

Another option is the Sigma 8mm (full 180 fisheye on full frame, but on DSLR is cropped but has badly Vignetted corners)

Rossfra8, I managed to get it for a seriously reasonable £350 from a skate photographer who I know, but they usually go for about £450 - £550 in the UK
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some of yesterday.

George rocking the pow.

Then falling over..

Nice conditions. Very Happy

More to come soon. snowHead
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog do you and george_1 have money fights in the evenings?
snow report
looks to me like you're bending more at the waist / back / shoulders rather than ankles and knees. Maybe you should try lessons, anyone know a good instructor in Tignes? Puzzled Laughing Laughing NehNeh NehNeh

(ps feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and that's actually good technique, might explain whey I've been getting it wrong!)
snow report
I'm behind the camera. If you're talking about the last picture, that's Ricky. He's had 6 days on snow so I think a certain amount of dodgy technique is allowed at this stage. Very Happy
snow report
Ricky is skiing powder on his 6th day of skiing ever! Very lucky, hope he enjoyed it. Give him a couple more days and he'll be a pro - like he's never known anything different. At least I'm hoping thats how it works as I'm pretty sure I'll have forgotten how to ski by the time I get there and will need to start from scratch again.

A friend of a friend has been living in Tignes in the winter since he was a kid, his uncle lives there permenantly and is a qualified instructor/guide. I am thinking about having a couple of lessons when I get there to try and start me off on the right path kinda thing.

I can pass on his details if anyone is interested, or just wait till I get there, the plan is to meet up with these guys and go out for a ski together anyway.

Spikyhedgehog my camera is a Cannon so I'm guessing from the posts above that your Nikon lens wont fit. Which sucks.

How is Scotty's bar guys? Does it have a pool table? This time next week I'll be starting my journey (or have started already) I'll give you a call when I get there on Friday 14th, we have to go for a "welcome beer" to keep Suz happy.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 6-12-07 17:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
bensley, The nikon lens won't fit, but you can have a dabble with my camera and the lens anyway.

Scottys is ok, but they wouldn't give us seasonnaires discount the other night so we probably wont be going there so often!! Le bouchon (opp. our apartments has 2for1 beers at happy hour) I reckon we will give that a try!

See you on the 14th!!
snow conditions
george_1, Cheers for the research ! Bummer news tho, your pictures look cool with the fish eye. Glad to see the snow is so good.
snow conditions
Rossfra8, John has money fights with himself, I on the other hand just put my feet up after having to work 4 months without a day off to afford it all Embarassed Laughing
snow report
george_1, I seem to have lost all the money I'd saved up for this ski season, I think I left it in Europe somewhere when I went touring in my wallpapered car, either that or I left it in Thailand after my failed invasion of that country. Not quite worked out how I'm going to get around that yet, still right now its off to the pub for a goodbye beer with my team at work then to West Hampstead to get my tux on and head to the Betfair Christmas party, maybe I'll gamble my way into some money later on.........fingers crossed!!!!
snow report
Oi bensley, george_1, Spikyhedgehog, this is your thread - no posts since Friday - we need more news Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Well I'm just back for lunch. Amazingly sunny bluebird powder day.

And only me and another person staying with us has bothered to come out!! george_1 is crap.

Ended up skiing lots and lots of powder underneath the Laisinant Express, did that run 4 times. Very Happy No photos unfortunally as I didn't take the camera because there was only 2 of us out.

I tried to get to La Signal to book christmas lunch but I can't seem to work out how to get back to Tignes without catching a bus, which I didn't really want to do. Ended up having to walk back up to the Datcha chair anyway..

Fantastic morning out, best of the season so far by miles. Time to get my afternoon in now!

Very Happy
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
Well I'm just back for lunch. Amazingly sunny bluebird powder day.

And only me and another person staying with us has bothered to come out!! george_1 is crap.

Shocked That young man needs a good slap! Wink

Looks like a wonderful day from the webcams. I'm glad you didn't take your camera as that would have just completed my misery Wink The next few days look perfect, if a bit cold. Have a good one Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy