Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Season 07/08 Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I figured that I'm here almost fully because of snowheads, helping me find the resources to get to Tignes for a season,
So... We are going to keep you all updated with how our season is going, not rubbing it in or anything.. wink

The journey started yesterday...

got to mine for 9.30 pm for a communal gathering of the other housemates, we watched a ski dvd, had a natter, then finished packing my bags (leaving it nice and late as usual)

Then it was bed time...
6.30 am and we got up and packed the car, ready to tackle our complex journey to chelmsford, via nottingham, oxford and abbingdon.

We got to nottingham for 9.30, for a tuning lesson with Spyderjon, who mounted up SpikyHedgehog's shiny new vist bindings onto his new skis, and then gave us a fantastic tuning lesson. along with tea and biscuits. score. (Thanks alot Spyderjon, we both appreciate it massively, It was a seriously good experience for us both coming into our season)

On the journey goes, oxford and abbingdon for a couple of random stops to pick various bits and pieces up, then to chelmsford to get SpikyHedgehog's stuff packed up and to get our heads down for the night (though we have to be out of the house at 5am sharp and its now 00.45... Shocked )

Ferry tomorrow, and possibly some photos if the weather is nice and we make a few good pitstops on our way through france.

Night!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chelmsford being Cheltenham.

Tea and biscuits were amazing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spikyhedgehog, yeah thats why I got us lost. Does chelmsford even exist?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wondered what oxford had to do with the journey. Chelmsford is nearer to cambridge
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Safe journey! snowHead

*not jealous at all Going green *
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spikyhedgehog,

pop by house and pick up the pants... Laughing

Have a good trip
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george_1, looking forward to the saga snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daehwons wrote:
I wondered what oxford had to do with the journey. Chelmsford is nearer to cambridge
Some Tignes looks a very long way away Shocked Toofy Grin

Good luck for the season all you Tignes-ies, keep the trip reports flowing as it's great to hear how people get on during trips like this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
George_1 and Spikyhedgehog - tea and biscuits! I'm so jelous.

I'm debating weather I should make a stop off somewhere on route rather than trying to drive all the way to Tignes from London in 1 day. If you have any good ideas on your way let me know. I was reading the thread on it on here but soon became overloaded with names of French towns along the way so thought I'd check with you guys instead seeing as your doing it now.

Also you gotta keep me posted on what the roads are like when you get to Tignes and whether I'll need snow chains or not.

Very jelous that you guys are already on your way but only a for another couple weeks then I'll be following you down myself! GET IN!!!!!! YEAH!!!!

Have a safe trip, see ya soon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
george_1 wrote:
Spikyhedgehog, yeah thats why I got us lost. Does chelmsford even exist?

<----------- it certainly does!

looking forward to reading the reports
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
george_1, Spikyhedgehog, jammy gits !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
debbi, george_1, Spikyhedgehog, jammy gits ! I think they were Jammy Dodgers actually!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northantsred, Razz
Jammy Dodgers taste nice and don't rub it in about doing a season !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a few texts fron George 1 today. He is making good time & should be in Tignes by 11.00pm tonight.

Looking forward to a few beers Blush Blush Blush
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
george_1, I want part two! I want part two! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
szy, he is probably in bed with a hangover after a late session when he got there Twisted Evil
snow conditions
debbi, that would be about two beers for him Twisted Evil
latest report
stewart woodward, where abouts in Tignes are you staying? Are you there yet?

I'm going to be living in La Lavachet, not sure yet but assuming it must be pretty close to George_1 and spikyhedgehog as I was thinking Lavachet isn't as big as Le Lac or Val Claret, but I might be wrong.

Whats the snow like out there at the moment, the websites I'm checking back here say say there is awesome skiing to be had already!?!?
ski holidays
bensley, Lavachet is functionally a district of le Lac IIRC
latest report
bensley wrote:
stewart woodward, where abouts in Tignes are you staying? Are you there yet?

I'm going to be living in La Lavachet, not sure yet but assuming it must be pretty close to George_1 and spikyhedgehog as I was thinking Lavachet isn't as big as Le Lac or Val Claret, but I might be wrong.

I live in Le Lavachet on floor 2, George 1 lives directly below me. I have been here since October Blush

Quote:
Whats the snow like out there at the moment, the websites I'm checking back here say say there is awesome skiing to be had already!?!?

The snows been great for weeks. Hopefully all the area will open this weekend Laughing Laughing
latest report
AND FINALLY PART 2!!!

Firstly: Massive thanks to Stewart and Elaine for everything, especially the internet!!!

The journey here was pretty wierd, we missed our ferry because of me, getting the time slightly wrong. Embarassed
We made amazing time down the french motorways and only hit traffic when there was a lane closed off and that only lasted about 20km

Arrived here at 11pm greeted by Stewart and Elaine (once again, Thanks!)

had a few hours skiing yesterday, and another few hours today.
Its a really good job we went to visit Spyderjon, as Spikyhedgehog managed to rip the bases to shreds on his brand new skis.

The snow is really good, few patches of ice on the glacier which are 100% responsible for me falling over (nothing to do with my sloppy technique...) rolling eyes

Been way too tired for beers so far, will hopefully get out tomorrow night to sample the local beverages.. Very Happy
Swirly, shhhhhh!! Embarassed Laughing

bensley, We did it in a day. get a really early ferry and arrive here late. we had 3 petrol stops and 1 mcdonalds stop.
latest report
There are too many rocks out here for my liking. My new skis aren't looking so new anymore.. Whoops!
snow report
george_1, Spikyhedgehog, have fun guys Going green
snow report
george_1, I dont know how other snowHead s but I would like to know the detail of the "missed ferry mistery"
Can you tell me as well please how long did it take and from where to where was it....?
I m going for a road trip over Xmas and will use one of those...

Gracias senor!

PS man! you gotta have at least a welcome beer as soon as you arrive! Skullie
ski holidays
I can see this turning into one fun thread. Have a great season guys.
snow conditions
george_1, (and stewart woodward and BernardC as well for that matter!), keep us updated - I'm considering a season in the Tarentaise in the next couuple of years (when I can afford it !) so I will watch with interest to see you how you fare. As a matter of interest, can you give us more detail about the apartments? E.g. how did you sort out the rental, what's it like in terms of facilties / location / sleeping arrangements, what's it cost etc?

Cheers
latest report
Well george said that the ferry was at 8.30, so we set off from Cheltenham at 5. Arrived for 8.10am, perfectly enough time to get on the ferry. But then taking out the details of the crossing george noticed that it said 8am crossing. It was a speed ferries crossing from Dover to Boulogne.

Soo, we phoned up speed ferries and they said they couldn't do a refund or anything like that which is fair enough, so we ended up having to pay £80 for a P&O crossing..

French roads are a joy to drive on, we must've hit only 1 section of traffic the whole way. We took it slow to save petrol, but if you're willing to do the whole thing at 80 mph then you could do it from Calais in 10 hours easy. We went via Annecy as well as it's a nicer drive.

Anyway, skiing calls. snowHead
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog, George is a great big numpty, and you really set off too late from Cheltenham.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, im not that bad, I just thought cheltenham was chelmsford, and 8am was 8.30am.....

just waiting for Spikyhedgehog to make the sandwiches for lunch then we are off out.

nbt, I got this apartment from a friend of stewart woodward, its a good size, sleeps 5 (a bunk bed, and 3 singles) and there is a sofa bed in the living room.
the kitchen was well equipped with everything we need, even a couple of beers in the fridge Toofy Grin
seperate toilet and bathroom, but with only one toilet i can see it getting a bit busy with 6 of us on a morning..

szy, as explained by Spikyhedgehog, it was a mystery because I didn't want to let people know that I am a bit dense... the crossing was good but petrol prices in france are insane at the moment (€1.55 on some toll roads) Diesel is way more reasonable.

Anyway, the pistes call, and the ham sandwiches are packed.
byeee!
latest report
Oh to be young, free, single, and a skier in Tignes. GREAT BIG ENVIOUS SMILEY.
ski holidays
george_1, sounds like you're going to have a great time, I'm super jealous really. See you in about 50 days.
latest report
george_1 wrote:
the crossing was good but petrol prices in france are insane at the moment (€1.55 on some toll roads) Diesel is way more reasonable.

Fill up at supermarkets, I paid €1.31 in Troyes on the way out. There are an encreasing number that will work with UK credit cards.
latest report
It's €1.35 in Bourg.

Anyone know any french alternative to www.petrolprices.com ?
ski holidays
Swirly, yeah will be good when you get out, I've been training myself up. I'm able to manage 3 beers now ... Laughing

rjs, I'll remember that, the lowest around here at the moment is €1.35 at super U and Intermarche IIRC..
latest report
I lie, €1.32 according to zagas.com
snow conditions
george_1 wrote:
Swirly, yeah will be good when you get out, I've been training myself up. I'm able to manage 3 beers now ... Laughing

You have 14 days before I get there mate, I've decided to go via Brussels and visit a friend (I know its not really on the way but whatever) if you can't handle 3 beers in 1 night by the time I get there you have to ski from the glacier on Grande Motte all the way to Val Claret naked.

In the meantime, I can't believe I'm sitting at a desk staring at a computer trying to work out where RBS managed to lose £10m....zzzzzz

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!
snow report
bensley, 3 beers it is then!! haha.
come out earlier man, work is for losers!!
snow conditions
george_1, speaking of which i handed my weeks notice in today Very Happy
ski holidays
Rossfra8, I hope it is for skiing purposes yes?

Where are you heading?
snow conditions
Of course of course, my manager was being a pain in the arset his morning so i strolled in this afternoon white envolope with his name on it in hand! Banff for 3 months Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy