Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift technique

Poster: A snowHead
And for more (mostly) funny lift stories, try here. I do warn you though that some of them are just tasteless and not funny at all, and the forum itself takes some...errr...getting used to Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 pages YES
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mark_s, What charming young persons...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another tidbit of chairlift negotiation technique. If the chair comes to a stop mid mountain, and the brake lets go, and you suddenly find yourself pummeling back down the mountain at 100 plus k/hr,,, accepted wisdom holds its best to launch yourself out of the chair sometime before reaching the bottom, and take your chances, rather than play crash dummy and go around the bull wheel at the bottom.

Best way to dismount chair in such situation? Discard poles,,, hands on knees,,, lean forward,,, place head between legs,,, kiss your butt goodbye. Razz
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chairlift chicken is always a good way to lighten up a boring day spent skiing. wink

Basically the first person in the group to get off the chairlift at the top has to buy the last person to get off a drink. There are no penalties for going right the way round and back down the chairlift, and there may even be discretionary points to be had if-

a) you really upset the liftie

b) there are people waiting to download on the same chairlift.

It really is a fun game for the whole family.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
a boring day spent skiing. wink .

Nice way to burn up a major chunk of credibility there Kramegold.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, not quite sure what you're getting at. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, as if it were possible to have one. You know it as well as I.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, that's what the winking smiley's for. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastMan, yes, I wouldn't want to stay on a chairlift doing
this.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair, at my home area we actually had it happen to a lift full of peeps. Very nasty scene. Luckily, I was on the slope, between lift rides.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am I the only one that finds this topic a bit... daft? Next there will be a topic talking about "putting skis on technique"...

Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah, ALREADY BEEN DONE.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i still have a small phobia about t-bars since i got my jacket (about 4 sizes too big borrowed from a friend) hooked on one whilst i was learning to ski. I would still rather avoid a t-bar in favour of any ski lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah wrote:
Next there will be a topic talking about "putting skis on technique"...

Ooooo, I'm just so tempted...
snow conditions
Timmaah, No. They're all mental. Laughing
snow report
Yes, all those nasty things do happen when you wear sacks on chairlifts. So:

Firstly, take it to breakfast (see below).

When ready to sit on lift, hold poles in one hand and slip off the opposite shoulder strap - the sack cannot fall unless you have unfeasibly short poles or unfeasibly large shoulders.

Plonk sack on lap and (a) use it as a natty knee blanket (b) eat its contents, filched earlier from the breakfast bar or (c) use it as a pillow for a power knap.

The lifties in France also seem to proactively acknowledge and thank you for doing this (taking the sack off that is).
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
Next there will be a topic talking about "putting skis on technique"...

Ooooo, I'm just so tempted...

Here goes, when I lose a ski in powder, which obviously, given my level of expertise is not often, I use a special technique for getting them back on again. I locate the toe of the boot in the toe binding and with the heel over the heel piece, rather than just push down, I rotate my foot from the toe upwards which neatly puts pressure (note, no use of the "w" word) on the heel and hay presto the the foot snaps in, my question is how can I do this without looking a pretentious sprat. I realise that this might not strictly be chairlift related, but I also often find myself having to do this dismounting from the chair and am also keen to get this thread to the 4 pages it deserves.
latest report
Oh dear, 6 weeks of skiing and reading this to find out I still don't know how to get off a chairlift.
On my first ski holiday to LDA 3 years ago the lifts were scarier than the skiing but more recently I thought I had mastered it. My technique is as follows:-

To get on, charge through the the barriers as soon as they release whilst holding the poles in my outside hand frantically shuffling just that bit further forward than at least one other person so they break the impact of the seat as it comes round.

Hyperventilate until the safety bar comes down.

Spend the entire journey getting my trembling mittened hands through the loops of my poles (IN CASE I DROP THEM!).

Hyperventilate and shrink against the backrest when my crazy fellow passengers raise the safety bar more than a nanosecond before dismount time.

Shuffle forward in my seat, poles poised.

Semi jump out of the seat and ski off as if the devil himself is behind me.

Amazingly enough I manage this technique without getting in the way of other skiers/boarders and I have never taken one out. I think it is only my own life it is shortening.

I am however a nightmare for many fellow T-bar travelers as I am just less than 5ft tall. I either end up going up with the bar halfway up my bum or more often next to some blond teutonic giant with his knees up by his ears. I would feel quite guilty if I wasn't concentrating so hard on letting go at the end without getting the bar caught round my inner thigh....

So do any Snowheads fancy meeting up in resort? wink
ski holidays
Hullite, Laughing You have my total sympathy about Tbars! I still hate them-- and when my children were small they had the same problem as you --and the phobia stayed with them (and me) even as adult skiers. I prefer France where they only have button drag lifts--MUCH easier and safer than Tbars.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 27-11-07 11:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I see quite a few people struggling to put skis back on when on a steep slope. Maybe there is room for a useful discussion about this apparently simple task...
snow conditions
rob@rar, don't take them off on steep slopes in the first place? wink
latest report
veeeight wrote:

A comment I made to my girlfriend last season. It didn't go down well.
snow report
veeeight wrote:

Luckily they come off---if bindings are correctly adjusted--- (if you fall)! Shocked
ski holidays
Hullite, Very Happy Smile
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
veeeight wrote:

A comment I made to my girlfriend last season. It didn't go down well.

Been there. Had that "discussion". Still have the bruises. rolling eyes
snow conditions
No mention so far of the idiots on 8 seat chairlifts deciding to do a right angle turn from the far left seat all the way in front of everyone else, of corse it can be done the other way round as well.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:

Chairlift chicken is always a good way to lighten up a boring day spent skiing

Now our version of Chairlift Chicken is a little different and requires one of those old fashioned chairlifts that whack you right in the middle of your calf. It's also fun (but a bit mean) to play with someone who has no idea what the rest of you are up to but basically you all inch forward and the one furthest back gets the chair in the leg - ow! - and the rest of you sit down comfortably and composed. Of course if you go too far then you might not make it on to the chair at all, hence the chicken.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm... when exiting from a chair lift I usually have a pole in each hand poised for the moment when I can stand up and gently push myself of.

getting on a chairlift wih one of my mates is particularly stressful as he never sits down on his bit of the seat it is always half on mine and he makes a habit of knocking peoples poles out of their hands.

Another friend managed to trap a pole between the bottom of the chair and the ground as he was getting off - result on ski pole bent at right angles. The very kind lifty offered to bend it back and succeeded in snapping the pole. It's quite difficult to ski with one and a half ski poles Laughing
snow report
PsychoBabble wrote:
No mention so far of the idiots on 8 seat chairlifts deciding to do a right angle turn from the far left seat all the way in front of everyone else, of corse it can be done the other way round as well.

That's the time I'm glad I'm skiing in the US...

If I NEED to go all the way left from the right of a 6-pack, I kindly inform my chair mates my intention. Then we come to some consensus as to whether I should go off first (usually) or last (someone on the far left also wants to dismount to the far right).

Though I must confess, when on a chir full of children and beginers, I know the discussion would create more stress than concensus. So I generally just charge off first opportunity.

Are we on page 4 yet? Wink
ski holidays
How about stand up and lean forward on skis! Avoid borders at all costs and yes do inform little Children of the impending meeting with a snow shovel if they get in your way
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy