Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift technique

Poster: A snowHead
little tiger posted the following advice on another thread:

Quote:
the method i was taught for getting off lifts is as follows:

Put both poles into outside hand holding in middle of pole and facing tips forward..
Place both hands on knees...
When you get to marking cone.... Stand up...

I have had people riding lifts with me and getting freaked and just taken their poles and had them do this... 100% success from previously consistent fallers... It is easier without poles the first time!

The other advice I was given re lifts and falling - if you are fallen then go down and as flat as possible (ie keep head down) so chair does not bonk you!

Does anyone else have any useful advice on getting on and off chairlifts? I was also wondering whether anyone has any tips on adding a backpack to the equation. I shall be skiing with a backpack for the first time ever in January, and am getting slightly worried about it, particularly since my backpack has a multitude of little straps on it, no doubt designed for the ski-touring I shall not be doing, but also just waiting to be caught in a slat, or round a bar, or something! Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, I ski with my backpack as well a dakine helipro small sized one with food extra jumper and a shovel...it depends on the lift. sometimes I unclip and swing it around so its on my front for the lift or just risk it. I strangely never had your concern about the clips but I do know what you mean...just make sure they are all clipped on and secured and you should be fine!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always place my hand on the thigh of the person to my right and push off. this helps me stand up and also ensures I am first onto the off ramp.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

the_aliasskier,
Quote:

a dakine helipro small sized one

That's what I've got. The problem is the extra gadgets that aren't in use, it's impossible to get all the dangling straps out of the way. I roll mine up and secure them with elastic bands, but I fear they might still get hooked on to something. Since I'm small, there's always loads of slack even on the straps which are in use, ie the bits that go round the waist, and over the shoulders. (I'm having a little panic here, just thinking about it! Shocked )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should take your backpack off, wear it on your chest.

or, before you think about de-lifting, check you're not attached to the chair!

Some lifties won't let you on if you've got a backpack on.

But with regards getting off a chair lift; I carry poles in one hand, stand up and push off with the other, and try to move away from the midline quickly. I used to avoid sharing chairs with boarders if I could, especially on chairs serving easy pistes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, Get yourself a new backpack, you will get well fed up keep taking it on and off for the chairs, if you get a small one with no straps not only will you be able to leave it on, on the chair (if you are careful) but also it will discourage taking too much stuff, plus it will not mess up your balance.
The BCA stash 16 lt with hydrator and just big enough for a shovel, is good.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-11-07 13:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Its a good pack Very Happy hmm yeh well I mean the ones used for securing the board and stuff in the outer pocket just leave them in there and for the waist straps wrap the dangling ends around so its all secure (hope you get what I mean) so its secure and then make sure the cross carry strap at the top is closed... other than that I have quite happily just kept the waist strap on - undone the chest strap and swivelled it onto the front as doctor_eeyore, says some lifties will not let you but others are less bothered...with a full pack though my nerves on a small chair are falling off just before getting to the top Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle - from my limited experience, most problems with beginners seem to be with them trying to get off the chair too quickly, rather than too late. One of the tips I was taught last year was to get the beginners with me to wait until their skis touched the snow, count to three with them and then stand up. That way the skis have properly settled before anyone tries to stand up on them.

100% success rate. Ok. 99.99%. I'm ignoring the Timmy "incident"... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:

Does anyone else have any useful advice on getting on and off chairlifts?

I usually hold both poles in one hand and use the free hand to give myself a push forward off the seat or preferrably the side arm rest. Failing that I usually look for a soft landing by taking out some six year olds having a lesson with th ESF wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the BCA Stash 16 litre. I don't often bother taking it off unless the chairlift is very cramped - some of the older ones are, but all the modern 4- and 6-pack chairs I use have plenty of room for a compact backpack. I don't think I've ever been told by a liftie to remove my pack, but making sure you have no loose straps and clips is very sensible (as I know to my embarrassment).

For getting off chairs I just stand up - is anything else needed?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I was wondering that myself. Not sure I've ever seen a skier fall off a chairlift. Seen a few dangling by their backpacks though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, I am glad you have said this. One of the problems I have often encountered with newbie skiers is a kind of 'pre-dismount panic', where they keep trying to wriggle to the very front of the chair and reach their feet down to the snow before they need to. Is pointless and doesn't help, plus actually is more likely to wobble the chair around needlessly when everyone else is trying to get ready to dismount.

I have always told any newbies skiing with me to wait...wait...wait... let skis hit the floor, and then wait...wait...wait... and just stand up. No fuss needed.

The irony is they often seem to think I am being deliberately thrill-seeking by not rushing to leap off the chair the minute I have passed the last lift pylon.

D
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If sharing the lift with children always explain that should they plant a pole between your skis when they get off then you will beat them to death with a large aluminium snow shovel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Seen a few dangling by their backpacks though.

Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, I think the technique for getting on and off chairlifts depends a bit if the lift is "high-speed" - in which case it slows down considerably at both pick up and set down - or old-fashioned.

The old fashioned ones sometimes arrive in a bit of a hurry so I tend to turn and try and take some of the impact of the seat off with my free hand.

The first time I ever went on an express chair (1988 Meribel) I didn't know that it was going to slow down at the top as well, so expecting to be thrown off as usual I ended up nearly sitting down but saved myself with my right hand - dislocating my middle finger - skied out of the way slowly whimpering and put it back. It hurt for months afterwards especially if squashed against adjacent fingers - in my job, this was a particular problem when examining ladies Shocked
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

No - you have forward momentum already - no need to push off...
The "hands on knees bit" is simply to get new skiers to LIFT their butt (ie stay forward) rather than do the "flop" backwards trick... or push off the chair-which puts them at risk of backwards fall as they lean back to shove quite often... it also keeps their arms away from others so they don't all bash each other around and get tangled up...

the wait for dismount cones is again to ensure they are on the offload ramp in correct position rather than jumping off too soon...

I cannot understand why folks seem to feel the need to "get ready" to get off about 2-3 lift towers out... and so want to lift the bar really early.... How long does it take to stand up?
latest report
 brian
brian
The best one used to be the old Hillend chairlift top station. There was no downramp and obviously no nice slidy snow, just a carpet. So both skiers had to waddle off to the side, naturally both pushing the chair in the way of their companion. Frequent carnage ensued wink

They've spoiled it now by building in a dendix downramp.
snow report
PhillipStanton,
Quote:

the Timmy "incident"...

I love it!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I will try and keep my backpack on, and just hope not to get hooked up...

So far, have only ever had a single major altercation with a chairlift. Too much drink taken at lunchtime, followed by a failed attempt to get on it at all, I just sort of, er, missed. Result: total ignominy. Embarassed

Nick L, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
Hurtle, Get yourself a new backpack, .
I have a small-ish one which has no fiddly straps--and is easy to shove over to one shoulder if necessary. On some chairs it is definitely not allowed to keep your backpack on your back (in my experience of some two seaters).
ski holidays
brian, I'd forgotten about that. What rubbish!! Laughing
ski holidays
A friend at work suffered an incident when disembarking from a chairlift last season. I'm still not clear on how she managed it but I think her skis got crossed and somehow caught up with someone else's. She ended up under the chair. The result was a bloodwagon ride home with a fractured tibia and lots of ligament damage to the knee. She is still hobbling around with a really bad limp despite months of treatment. I don't think she'll be skiing again any time soon Sad
snow report
Hurtle, the other thing you need to do if wearing a backpack is MIND YOUR HEAD! The backpack ensures that you sit further forward on the seat, which may mean that you are in the "flight path" of the safety bar.
snow report
Crikey, one of the reasons I started this thread (apart from taking the opportunity to pose my own backpack question) was that I thought it might be helpful for inexperienced skiers. I never thought of people rolling out horror stories with which to scare them!
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Hurtle, the other thing you need to do if wearing a backpack is MIND YOUR HEAD! The backpack ensures that you sit further forward on the seat, which may mean that you are in the "flight path" of the safety bar.

Agreed, I banged my head on the safety bar a few times last season, although if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I might have missed it.
ski holidays
I suspect a large fraction of Skiing accidents happen getting off the lift, I like the "count to three" idea but not so sure about the "hand on the thigh" technique. I take back the get a new backpack comment the heli pro small is nice pac.
snow report
There are other ways of getting off a chairlift, this for example:

snow conditions
Hurtle,
Quote:

I never thought of people rolling out horror stories with which to scare them!

Sorry - did not mean to scare. To give balance, I left the mountain in a bloodwagon last season and I'm not limping at all now Very Happy
(not a chairlift incident)
ski holidays
Hurtle, Heli pro is a great pack, but some of the straps need shortening or stowing inside. I wear mine on 90% of the chairs I go on, sometimes sitting down at an initial oblique angle. The main problem is that it puts my head and helmet an inch or two further forwards leading to a CLONK as the bar goes down sometimes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
go down and as flat as possible (ie keep head down) so chair does not bonk you!

Even if that was going to be the only bonk of the week? Puzzled
ski holidays
Caspar wrote:

Sorry - did not mean to scare. To give balance, I left the mountain in a bloodwagon last season and I'm not limping at all now Very Happy
(not a chairlift incident)

......but my shoulder is still dislocated wink
snow report
Thinking back to when I was a complete beginner all problems getting off a chair lift were due to

1) A degree of apprehension about the unknown

2) Reading comments like the above(not getting away quick enough so hit by the chair lift as it swings back round, falling over and getting smacked in the head, the embarassment of missing your stop, straps caught, etc) hence many beginners hurry the dismount and create problems.

3) A lack of skiing ability, some of the dismount areas will look extremely steep for some total beginners even though they are very short run-offs.
latest report
brian, Now be serious for a mo. I am REAlly worried about taking my very wriggly, extremely vertically challenged son on a chairlift when we go to Italy. Do you think a trip to Hillend would be worthwhile to try it out?
snow report
pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Great thread Hurtle, er..... I think Puzzled

Given that I've never ridden a chair with skis on, is there ever any problems associated with wind catching your skis or even board as you sit there or are they not big enough for that. I understand some lifts are ridden for quite some time and I guess it could get windy, are you likely to lose a ski in the middle of a lift and not be able to retrieve it for any reason, or will bindings always cope with a tugg from a gust of wind.? My childrens skis are never that firmly attached to their boots are can be quite easy to tweek off.
snow report
Megamum, I've never known wind to be a problem on a chairlift. The only exception is after too much of the excellent lentil salad at Bel Air in Courchevel! wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B,
Quote:

but my shoulder is still dislocated

No, it was a leg injury but it's more or less sorted now. As it happens, my brother has just recently had a shoulder op (not ski related) and is off work for several weeks Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar, If you come over to Montalbert peak season on a Tuesday night you can take part in the chairlift rescue demonstration as per your picture (of course the chair is full for the demo) also includes a demo of Zipwiring from pylon to chair Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, If you come over to Montalbert peak season on a Tuesday night you can take part in the chairlift rescue demonstration as per your picture (of course the chair is full for the demo) also includes a demo of Zipwiring from pylon to chair Very Happy Very Happy

There's no way on God's earth that I would voluntarily do that! Shocked I still haven't quite recovered from seeing people being winched out of the Grand Motte cablecar a few years ago (even though I wasn't in it at the time). It's always on my mind when I use that cablecar now. So thanks for the kind offer, but no thanks!
snow report
I have never had a problem with the wind apart from getting cold. Skis coming off on the lift is fairly rare and is generally, either; the skis not being not on properly, or people knocking their skis together for some reason, usually to drop snow on people below which is funny, dropping a ski on them is not.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

There's no way on God's earth that I would voluntarily do that! Shocked I still haven't quite recovered from seeing people being winched out of the Grand Motte cablecar a few years ago (even though I wasn't in it at the time). It's always on my mind when I use that cablecar now. So thanks for the kind offer, but no thanks!
What had happened there ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy