Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift technique

brian
brian
ickabodblue, yes. It's pretty slow and a fairly short journey to the mid station.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The top of one of the chairlifts at Val Cenis (La Berche, perhaps?) has an off-ramp which starts on a wooden platform about 12 feet off the ground - like a children's slide but much bigger - and is bl00dy scary when it looms into view for the first time. Actually, not just for the first time Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob wrote:
I have never had a problem with the wind ....
Glad to hear it. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, don't think about it too much. Follow the advice above; don't be in a rush, hold your poles in the middle, in one hand, points pointing forward. Stand up calmly when your skis are firmly on the ground, and stay standing up, in a good position (ie don't lean back!). Do it without poles the first time, if you feel a bit nervous. Wind is not a problem from the point of view of skis blowing off, but it can get chilly. Get yourself buttoned up before you get on. It's a good time to relax and enjoy the view. Let someone else take your kids the first few times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
krunchie63 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I still haven't quite recovered from seeing people being winched out of the Grand Motte cablecar a few years ago
What had happened there ?

It was an exceptionally windy day and the cablecar I took crawled up at a snail's pace. The next cable car up was involved in an accident where one of the cables (the pull cable, not the cable supporting the weight of the car) derailed. Not entirely certain why, but local stories are that the driver went too quickly for the wind speed which somehow led to the accident. Whatever was the cause there was an almighty screech of metal on metal and the entire thing stopped immediately, with 200 people stuck car. Fortunately they where close enough to the ground to winch people out and ferry them down the hill on the back of pistebashers.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, the main problem with Children and Chairlifts is just how many are abducted from them. you are only safe in resort X....

never seen a ski fall from a chair more than 20m after the start. The bigger problem is usually how to carve over the fallen boarder at the end without blunting your edges Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PisteHead wrote:
Thinking back to when I was a complete beginner all problems getting off a chair lift were due to

1) A degree of apprehension about the unknown

2) Reading comments like the above(not getting away quick enough so hit by the chair lift as it swings back round, falling over and getting smacked in the head, the embarassment of missing your stop, straps caught, etc) hence many beginners hurry the dismount and create problems.

3) A lack of skiing ability, some of the dismount areas will look extremely steep for some total beginners even though they are very short run-offs.

1. Yes, very much so.

3. Yes, and they always seem to be crowded so I am sure I will crash into somebody who has not moved off!

And for me it was being overtired, with not-fit-enough leg muscles that refused to elevate me to standing at the end of the day, that resulted in the skis heading enthusiastically down the run-off and me failing to catch up with them & falling backwards! "Hello nice Mr Liftie - thanks for stopping the lift and helping me up Embarassed !"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother, Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christmas day last year we saw a woman get on a chair with a child on her lap. The liftie motioned to the woman to put the child on the seat beside her, the woman ignored the liftie who then hit the Emergency Stop button which resulted in the lift stopping so fast the woman fell out of the chair still grasping her child which was then embedded in the snow with Mother on top, fortunately neither were damaged Smile

My worst time on chairlifts is when the Lifties give you (there doesn't appear to be any choice Sad ) a small annoying wriggling French child for company on the journey Confused

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 23-11-07 16:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
are you likely to lose a ski in the middle of a lift and not be able to retrieve it for any reason, or will bindings always cope with a tug from a gust of wind

No, as the safety bar usually has a footrest built in that you rest the skis on, though i am not sure if the kids' legs will be long enough to reach it. The things I think most likely to get dropped are poles and gloves (assume your kids' gloves are attached using the string up the sleeves technique, but what about yours?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Saved by a backpack?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
Great thread Hurtle, er..... I think Puzzled

Given that I've never ridden a chair with skis on, is there ever any problems associated with wind catching your skis or even board as you sit there or are they not big enough for that. I understand some lifts are ridden for quite some time and I guess it could get windy, are you likely to lose a ski in the middle of a lift and not be able to retrieve it for any reason, or will bindings always cope with a tugg from a gust of wind.? My childrens skis are never that firmly attached to their boots are can be quite easy to tweek off.

No.

First, there is always a footbar to rest them on, except on a few very old chairlifts.

And second, if the wind is striong enough to pull skis off, there is a very good chance it would be strong enough that they would not run the lift anyhow.

If you do ever lose a ski on a chairlift, it will almost always be during the process of getting on, if you manage to catch an edge before they are clear of the snow, or knock it off with the footrest before you get the skis on top of it. Even tis is very rare though. I've only ever seen it happen once.

In those rare cases, the lifties will usually see it, and will pick up the ski and pass it to somebody on a following chair to give to you at the top.

By far and a way the most common things to lose in the middle of a chairlift are gloves, although poles can also be dropped.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctor_eeyore, it was choking him I believe - backpack stuck in lift and around helmet... he undoes helmet to fall
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have never lost a glove or a pole on a chair, but I have lost a ski. This was very useful as I discovered I could not ski on one ski. The nice man in ther chair following was very kind, bringing me my ski and helping me get up off the floor Embarassed
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
little tiger, Terrific, I really needed to know that! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I have lost a glove.... was very sad - we had to go ski the roped off area under the chair to retrieve it Twisted Evil
latest report
Hurtle, So make sure your straps are all tucked up (maybe some velcro??) and take the damn thing off.... then it can stay on the chair if it needs to without keeping you on...
snow report
Quote:

a small annoying wriggling French child

I've had a few of those, but also some rather sweet ones, including one young lad of about 8, with his younger brother, from Mauritius. All the way up a very slow chairlift (since upgraded) he told me about some of the local landmarks (including the Pierra Menta, a mountain which was originally the tooth of a giant, it seems) and his favourite Mauritian and French dishes. Very sweet, if rather precocious, like a little tourist rep, and he didn't seem too fazed at my having to ask him to repeat himself. My French not being too fluent, I resorted to asking him if he was a good skier. "Yes", he said. Next question? I've also met some entertaining adults, and if you find the right ones, it does make the time go quicker. Because English skiers are rather unusual in our area I have become very fluent at the answer to the inevitable question about how I come to be there!
latest report
One thing not to do is to try and judge the speed of non-detachable chairlifts and try and sit as they come around. I learnt that the hard way in Serre Che during my 2nd week skiing. I misjudged, got hit in the rear end by the front of the chair, and was in pain for the rest of the journey up Embarassed

Skis are just too small to be blown off by wind really. I do get nervous though when I don't have my skis of the footrest thing - it just feels a bit odd having your skis hanging in midair, even if you know that they aren't actually going to come off. Does anyone else get that feeling?

Oh, and on the vaguely-related subject of skis coming off, someone lost their ski at Castleford on Wednesday, and it proceeded all the way down the poma lift Shocked
snow report
stoatsbrother, I've seen a ski come off before the top of a lift, the child then broke his leg trying to get off on one ski.
snow report
I don't understand why people ski with backpacks when in resort.
snow report
Its vital to assess the competence of fellow chairlift occupants.

Be very wary of boarders who might just be talking a good game and anyone who seems to have no idea what to do with their poles while on the chair.

Learn the bar down block to prevent Twunts slmming it on your head before you've even left the ground (we're not all 5 ft midgets).

On a board try to get the left or right hand seat to avoid the carnage .

Be first or last off

If you are on a board (therefore with an excuse) and can manage without hurting yourself try to skittle the assorted numpties just standing around at the bottom of the ramp then point to the clear the area signs.

If you are a liftie amuse yourself at the top station by polishing a particularly icy patch for people to fall on on the ramp or possible building a mini kicker.
latest report
veeeight, SCGB requirement for one of their off-piste guided holidays. I've never carried a backpack before and would much rather not. But, without wishing to turn this into a red thread thread (if you see what I mean) I don't think most ski wear has pockets big enough to contain a shovel, so off-pisters should carry a pack anyway, shouldn't they?
ski holidays
Quote:

If you are a liftie amuse yourself at the top station by polishing a particularly icy patch for people to fall on

..or at the bottom station by piling snow on to the chair, instead of scraping it off.
snow report
Hurtle, imho the best possible advice is to ski groomers for a day or so with the pack on before heading off the groomers, just to get used to the different balance.
snow report
Two whole pages in how to get off chairlifts!! You lot are barmy. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
comprex, oh, absolutely, I will indeed. I've already noticed when walking on steep terrain, that my balance is affected - though less so with the chest strap done up.

Lizzard, 'ere, wotch who yor calling barmy! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

so off-pisters should carry a pack anyway, shouldn't they

Indeed they should. However by observation the majority of recreational skiers in resort who are do not venture off piste are frequently seen skiing with a backpack, struggling on chairlifts, getting tangled, and fighting their raised centre of mass, and poor fore-aft balance!
latest report
veeeight, fair point about balance - but if you are a parent of small kids - you also often need backpacks for spare bits, food, drinks etc etc - as well as for any back-country/off-piste stuff.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Two whole pages in how to get off chairlifts!! You lot are barmy. Laughing Laughing

Have you seen the sprouts thread!
ski holidays
jbob, sprouts are a serious business.
latest report
veeeight, if you don't have a backpack, how else do you carry your spare jumper, 2l of water, packed lunch and goggles (or sunglasses if wearing goggles)?
ski holidays
OK just in an effort to make 3 pages and upset lizzard, what about the whole business of either lifting the bar too early while still over a big drop or leaving it too late.
ski holidays
Swirly, not nice at all....

jbob, you use the safety bar??? wimp! wink
snow conditions
Not when I am on my own, obviously.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:
go down and as flat as possible (ie keep head down) so chair does not bonk you!

Even if that was going to be the only bonk of the week? Puzzled

pam w I demand at least 1 bonk a day... and I don't want it from a chair! Razz
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
veeeight, if you don't have a backpack, how else do you carry your spare jumper, 2l of water, packed lunch and goggles (or sunglasses if wearing goggles)?

You'll perceive that a hip flask solves all these problems. Warmth, concentrated liquids, lunch, booze goggles -> DONE. wink
ski holidays
jbob, you can be on my lift any time. Stupid useless things.
snow report
Sorry, I know its dangerous and all that but this did make me chuckle Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy