Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carrying two pairs of skis in one bag...

Poster: A snowHead
anyone tell me if they've done this and only been charged by easyjet for one piece of equipment?

need to buy a ski bag and i'm thinking it might work out cheaper to fly by buying a double to share between the group.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have done this from Edinburgh and Stanstead, they weight the case and ski bag and as long as the combined weight was under 32kg it should be ok, think the 2 skis weighted about 15-16kg from memory but one of those pairs of skis was very heavy, the liftie visibily flinched the last time I handed them to him at Glencoe Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done the two pair in one bag loads of times and never been busted.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Continental did not charge for us to fly from US to Milan It with two skis in one bag, wheels are nice on a double bag. We almost missed our connecting flight annd our clothes and boots took three days to catch up. Thank goodness we had touist days in Florence before the skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, if there are 2 of you then make sure that the ski bag plus one of the hold bags combined weight does not exceed 32 kg e.g 15kg for the case and 16.99 kg for the ski bag.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I nearly always travel with two pairs in one bag and so far have been fine. As mentioned just make sure you're in the weight restrictions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've travelled with two pairs in one bag on a few occasions and had no problems. I also know xc racers who have travelled with lots of pairs of skis in one bag who had no problems when they kept the weight within limits.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly we've done 3 sets in a big wheelie ski bag on quite a few different airlines and no probs so far.........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good good - can the mods delete this thread now so as the airlines don't catch on
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PLEASE NOTE: The EasyJet allowance has been reduced this year.

I quote from their website where it talks about paying extra for sports equipment:

"The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs"

The allowance for your basic bag is 20kg, which is increased by 12kg when you book in skis. You can, however, transfer some of your main bag allowance to your sports bag if you wish (that is allowed). However anything over a total of 32kg (excluding hand luggage) will be charged as excess. Put your boots in a rucksack in the 69 position (toe to cuff) and take them as hand luggage (I checked and this is allowed - just make sure it fits the size limit)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah. boots will be hand luggage. did that last year.

cheers for all the responses. very useful Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I put 3 pairs in 1 bag with Easyjet to GVA, no problem on the way out, they weighed them on the way back, 27kg. They said it was too heavy, I said I'd paid for wintersports equipment, they said OK and loaded it, no extra charge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, You should not have a problem. I have done it numerous times and never been caught.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done four pairs in one bag with Jet2, return, no issues at all.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easyjet weighed my ski bag and my luggage back last season, to make sure I was under 32kg.......I wasn't as I'd put 2 pairs in one bag, so had to pay for 2nd pair......
snow conditions
Coming back last season at Geneva airport, easyJet charged me one sports fee for two pairs of skis in one bag. Was a pretty good deal considering I had about 50kg of baggage in total.

Only issue was that there was only one woman who could take payments spending about 5 mins on each one. As everyone had skis, it was taking ages and by the time we paid, our flights were leaving in about 15 mins. We had to leg it, and then got an absolute roasting from the easyJet staff at the gate. You cannot protest to these people - unless you have arrived five hours before the flight then you haven't allowed enough time for whatever process they throw your way!
snow conditions
Coming back from the MSB last year, one of the check-in staff at basel was opening ski bags and charging extra if there was more that one pair. Fortunately those in our group doing such things were in the other queue.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, WOW! That's a bit petty of them! Must admit I've never tried the 2 pairs of skis in one nag but the dozens of times I've taken golf clubs abroad (same extra baggage price on easyjet) I've always packed half my luggage in the golf carry bag to reduce weight in the check-in luggage and I've never once had it checked or, for that matter, even weighed as far as I can remember. It just goes in the outsize baggage area and off it goes. Maybe they've cottoned on to skiiers doing this?
snow conditions
guess when I fly with ryanair i lock the bag
ski holidays
Incidentally, anyone have any ideas how BA are with ski bags?
ski holidays
buckers wrote:
Incidentally, anyone have any ideas how BA are with ski bags?

They make a big deal about how they don't charge extra. e.g. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb and click on the skier icon.
snow conditions
Cheers, do you know how they'll be if I use my double ski bag, i.e do they check inside?
snow conditions
buckers wrote:
Cheers, do you know how they'll be if I use my double ski bag, i.e do they check inside?

I've never seen them doing this and I've travelled with them for the last four years skiing.

My mate has a double ski bag which he has travelled with on numerous occasion flying BA, never had a problem. BA tend to make their money off your ticket price, they don't have the same zeal budget airlines have for charging excess baggage.

snowHead
snow conditions
Sage, fly the flag - loose your bag Razz
ski holidays
Sage, cheers, thats very reassuring> I feel better about my trip out.

Its gonna be a great season!
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

Oh yes, I should also point out the last time I flew BA they lost my skis transiting through Heathrow - I got them a day later. Avoid Heathrow at all cost!!

snowHead
ski holidays
nice, i'm flying out of heathrow!
latest report
buckers wrote:

We had flown from Glasgow and our ski bags never made the transfer although our other bags did. Others, who had flown directly from Heathrow also had the same problem with their skis not being on the flight.

My mate had all his ski clothes as well as his boots and skis in his double ski bag - he missed a days skiing.

I'm flying through Heathrow Sad again in March, it's the only way we could get decent flight times.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage wrote:
buckers wrote:

We had flown from Glasgow and our ski bags never made the transfer although our other bags did. Others, who had flown directly from Heathrow also had the same problem with their skis not being on the flight.

My mate had all his ski clothes as well as his boots and skis in his double ski bag - he missed a days skiing.

I'm flying through Heathrow Sad again in March, it's the only way we could get decent flight times.

snowHead

Do you reckon if I turn up many hours early it would make any difference, or I live nearby Heathrow, I could turn up the day before and check in then!! Laughing

That might give them enough time
latest report
achilles wrote:

LOSE

arghhghghghghgghghghghghghghghgh
ski holidays
Quote:

charging extra if there was more that one pair

Do the T&Cs actually state that it is only one pair per ski equipement booking?

I thought their was a weight restriction, not a limit on the number of items in the bag..
snow report
Kruisler, Quote from BA website, link above:

Quote:
Equipment accepted:
One pair of skis, poles and boots or
one snowboard and boots.

snowHead
ski holidays
Sage,

Damn! Never realised.... rolling eyes

Fisrt time I am gonna travel with equipment in January so I better check the Ryanair T&C carefully! snowHead
snow report
i've done 2 pairs in one bag on both EasyJet and Ryan Air loads of times without any problem

we usually carry them about in single bags cos it's easier and then combine them in the large one at the last minute before checking in ... just have to make sure to do that out of site of check-in which can be tricky at small airports like Friedrichshaven
ski holidays
I have noticed that this year's charter tickets, which I picked up on Saturday, are for a named person and one pair of skis.

Things might have changed since last season. Some things you used to get away with (smoking, 4x4s, speeding) you don't anymore.

snowHead
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:

Fisrt time I am gonna travel with equipment in January so I better check the Ryanair T&C carefully! snowHead

Good luck, Ryanair's baggage policy is a minefield of potential charges.

snowHead
latest report
Just out of interest, I'll be heading out on Friday, and I've got to take two bags on as hand luggage.

Its just me flying out. Anyone had any problems doing this before?
snow conditions
buckers, I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that 1 piece of hand luggage is strictly adhered to.
latest report
I've seen a lot of people get caught out with more than one item of hand luggage at LHR over the past 12 months. I wouldn't risk it at the moment. Apparently the rules are going to be relaxed in the New Year, but this seems to be on an airport by airport case, when security checks have been upgraded.
ski holidays
ok what about two pairs of skis and a snowboard without bindings? Is that pushing it? One pair of skis is only 1.5m...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy