Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative Glossary of Terms

Poster: A snowHead
Punter - A perjorative term used by instructors and seasonaires when describing clients and holiday skiers

Barnyard - Punter (canadian version)
Crazy Pierre - A skier going bezerk on old school feet-fixed together hip wiggling style
Gaper - Punter (Amercian version)
"gorby", as in "the gorby-gap". Punter (canadian version)

Gumby - An uncoordinated skiier (Australian)
Texican - A Gaper from Texas

Smelly guy with a beard - a telemark skier

Worm: Marketing hype designed to play on the insecurities of the skier, causing you to buy poor or inappropriate equipment.
Fish: They eat Worms.

Anticipation: What you feel in the 5 minutes prior to removing ski boots
What you feel on the last run of the day as you see the bar approaching

Banking: What a ski instructor does at the end of the week...

Converging: Many "anticipating" skiers heading to the same bar...

Counter: See Converging or Banking above

Cuff: How to deal with queue jumpers, normally paired with 'around the ear'

'Glossary' - A term used but those whom perfer to chat theory and search for a reason that they suck at skiing, thereofore during 'Apres-ski' still being able to hang out with skiers and talk the talk as they know a little bit of the 'Lingo'. Unbeknown to these types, real skiers talk about many other things, thus displaying a greater range of life skills and are therefore normal and interesting people. Funnily enough, they usually suck at skiing because it is a sport that requires a freedom of spirit and a fair amont of joy and feeling. So, let nature do her work, Snow and Gravity for the skiers, Natural disasters for the Anoraks.

Stacking: When all of the other jargon doesn't work...

Wedge Turn: Common among ski instructors at the end of the week before they get to the 'Banking' stage as described above...An excess of cash in one pocket creates an imbalance, thus changeing the aerodynamics and physics of their glide and causing them to change direction... (To speed up or slow down?? oops, lets not go there)

'dont sh*t Sh*g'
fornicate dont deficate - the poncy version of above

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-09-08 10:04; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="skimottaret"]Punter - A perjorative term used by instructors and seasonaires when describing clients and holiday skiers" Isn't it Billy as in Billy Bunter?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ickabodblue, that as well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Billy must be the Cockney rhyming slang version Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
Punter - A perjorative term used by instructors and seasonaires when describing clients and holiday skiers" Isn't it Billy as in Billy Bunter?

Yes, historically aka Hillman not a smaller version of mountain man but a contraction of hillman hunter.
The derivation of gaper I understand is people with an unsightly gap between goggles and helmet, you have been warned.

how about

giraffe stroker
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rocks fall. Everyone dies - useful to reset runaway threads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick coffee break - what you tell your Other Half you had when you missed lunch after a 4 hour session of Mutzig and Toffee vodka when skiing with mates
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
A quick coffee break - what you tell your Other Half you had when you missed lunch after a 4 hour session of Mutzig and Toffee vodka when skiing with mates

A moment of madness (to your eternal regret - never happened before and never will again. And you have the full support of the party leader).
That kind of thing?

David
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, no no no...

Gumby is Australian term for some one like me i.e. unco(ordinated)...

We use punter for punter
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Canada I have heard "gorby", as in "the gorby-gap".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell, nice one, you got any good austrian funny ones?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Texican - See Gaper but from Texas

Crazy Pierre - A skier going bezerk on old school feet-fixed together hip wiggling style
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Smelly guy with a beard - a telemark skier
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
courtesy of smallzookeeper

Worm: Marketing hype designed to play on the insecurities of the skier, causing you to buy poor or inappropriate equipment.

Fish: They eat Worms.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Free Riding - a method of skiing and emptying your wallet at the same time
ski holidays
skimottaret, As a telemark skier I object to your description Evil or Very Mad - I don't have a beard! (Won't comment on the smelly bit Toofy Grin )
snow report
Alastair Pink, funny enough after about 4 months of messing about i finally managed to get my tele bindings attacted yesterday to my skis sort of in the right place. Am considering a go at MK tuesday for a laugh.
snow report
'Glossary' - A term used but those whom perfer to chat theory and search for a reason that they suck at skiing, thereofore during 'Apres-ski' still being able to hang out with skiers and talk the talk as they know a little bit of the 'Lingo'. Unbeknown to these types, real skiers talk about many other things, thus displaying a greater range of life skills and are therefore normal and interesting people. Funnily enough, they usually suck at skiing because it is a sport that requires a freedom of spirit and a fair amont of joy and feeling. So, let nature do her work, Snow and Gravity for the skiers, Natural disasters for the Anoraks.
snow report
Radical - One who advocates fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices. Also a term used by disaffected youths who prefer to be on the fringes of society but who remain compelled to orbit near it. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Fringe of Society: a place where normal and driven people recide, leading the way and making the rules for 'fools' swallowed up by a lack of the ability to make there own judgements, thus becoming followers of what they believe is 'society'.
ski holidays
(and putting banana as a synonym for delay) - the most commonly used phrase used in the Snowsports Industry.
ski holidays
skimottaret,

we will be there tomorrow...around midday
latest report
JT, shame Im not working monday but tuesday. I think there is a rossignol demo night 5-9 on tuesday if you are still around, i might even bring my tele skis

SMALLZOOKEEPER, it was fun crossing intellectual swords this morning amigo but i think i will call it a day as it is getting a bit too personal wink
latest report
skimottaret, We all have our boundaries. Well some of you. Toofy Grin
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/bMWobyOalVg&feature=related
snow report
skimottaret,

snowball and I are passing so thought we'd pop in, on our way to Wales.

This all came about a bit late so we didn't make a meet of it ...or post about it.

We will be there around mid-day for a hour or so and then have to get on our way.

I am trying out a new set-up so just want to get a feel for them...and as we are passing etc etc ...
Still if you can make it, or things change, we will be there to ski for 12:00
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and i thought i have too much time on my hands.... Laughing ps i dont have a moustache
latest report
Light reilef, been working like a welsh miner for a few months, just feel like poking a few. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, welsh..?? in the mines for a few months..?? poking a few...??... I don't need that picture in my head..Laughing
latest report
Free Riding - a method of skiing and emptying your wallet at the same time

Ski Racing - a method of skiing and emptying your parents wallets at the same time
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy