Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Sounds good, i'll look out for you. I'll be sure to drop my skis off at the front desk on Weds when i get into the resort. It my first time in Fernie and we seemed to have timed it pretty well with the snow. Anything you need bringing Puzzled proper tea bags? wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ian010, I think I'm being lumbered with those when I arrive a week tomorrow Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ian010, thanks but I don't drink tea! Marmite is always a good one.... Very Happy

Well, being your first time, I could show you around the mountain a bit. I've only discovered a fraction of it so far but I know a few tasty runs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark, I can't afford to feed you, bring all your own food please Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks PhotoTim, i'll take you up on that kind offer. Tell me what day/time/place suits you and i'll be there!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been dumping most of the day. Real light fluffy stuff. Has stopped now but I'm hoping it will carry on a bit more tonight as I'm up early to get first tracks!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Didn't really get my first tracks but had fun all the same. There is more powder here than you can shake a stick at. Dumped again last night so there is a foot of fresh in town which will probably mean a good couple of feet up top. I better get on up there!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Monday, December 24, 2007
Time: 7:29:25 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 30 cm / 12 in
48 Hour: 44 cm / 17 in
7 Day: 83 cm / 33 in
Snow Pack: 189 cm / 74 in
Year to Date: 280 cm /110 in

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhotoTim, I'm currently in bed with severe man-flu but I'm hoping it'll vapourise before Saturday. That's awesome snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CONFIDENCE: Fair. Latest models are in a reasonable agreement in the overall pattern however details are variable in the temperature and moisture fields. Guidance is showing a possibility of 1 or 2 hours of heavy snow late this afternoon or early evening when the main part of the frontal zone crosses the area. The next frontal passage Sunday night also looks questionable, greater than indicated snowfall are possible. The main flow pattern should begin splitting along the coast on Christmas Day which will divert the main moisture feed around the area Wednesday through Friday then another winter storm looks very likely going into next weekend. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went up this morning but was a bit late so the runs were quite rough and bumpy. Loads of pow pow though. They have been heli blasting the crap out of the mountain this evening so hopefully they will open the bowls again in the next couple of days. They have been shut for a while due to avalanche danger.

There is so much snow here its crazy, I just had to dig out the company car. Quite a novelty for someone from the isle of wight!

Sharkymark, that weather is the best one to look at. The RCR apparently pay the guy who does it a load of money and it always seems accurate.

Merry Christmas
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhotoTim, I hope the bowls are open when I turn up. Are they pretty good at clearing the roads during storms? The last thing I need is being stuck on a bus at 11pm/6am jet-lagged to crap
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roads should be ok, the taxi driver will be a dab hand at driving in snow anyways.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow is cleared pretty much nightly from the roads by a bloke with a JCB. We have a three foot wall of snow on our drive to prove it NehNeh

You go into town much Tim? You're not the worst drunk in Fernie Tim of bingo night fame are you?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, aha, you go to the infamous bingo! I think I know who you are talking about (wears a light blue coat, dark hair and likes to think he can take his drink?) and no its not me, although I do frequent bingo on a regular basis! Where abouts are you living?
latest report
PhotoTim, why go all the way tn Fernie and then invite the mutant inbred out? Puzzled Defeats the object, surely
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, mutant inbreds always travel in pairs...a master and an apprentice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Tsk, enough of this chit-chat, let's keep this thread on topic, especially when FAR are saying it dumped yet another 20cm yesterday!!! c'mon PhotoTim, what's it been like on the hill today?!?!?! Are the holiday crowds tracking out the fresh snow quick or are there plenty new lines for all??? wink
ski holidays
hd, he's at home at the moment for some reason (or at least that's what Skype tells me)
snow report
yeah we had another 2-3 inches in town last night which would be getting on for 20cm up top I guess. Decided to have a lie in this morning. Had a couple of hours up there yesterday (xmas day) and they opened one of the bowls which meant I was attempting to board in 2 foot deep pow.
latest report
PhotoTim wrote:
we had another 2-3 inches in town last night which would be getting on for 20cm up top I guess.

snowHead

PhotoTim wrote:
Decided to have a lie in this morning.
Puzzled

Correct me if I'm wrong but somewhere between those statements is a gross contradiction. Don't tell us you're getting picky about the conditions already??? wink

How busy has it been on the hill recently, during the holiday period?
snow conditions
haha, we get spoilt here! I have another 3-4 months of this stuff so I'm not bothered about missing the odd day here and there!

It is quite busy, but nothing compared to what I have heard the alps are like at peak times. There are virtually no line ups at the lifts and I can still find myself on my own on some runs. Trouble is, when there is a fresh dump, it gets tracked up really quickly but you can always find some stuff in the trees.
snow report
PhotoTim wrote:
DaveC, aha, you go to the infamous bingo! I think I know who you are talking about (wears a light blue coat, dark hair and likes to think he can take his drink?) and no its not me, although I do frequent bingo on a regular basis! Where abouts are you living?

That's the guy - he hit on my friend twice in the same night last tues, with the exact same line. Legend! Will be there on new years day (i'm unreliably informed bingo is on that tues?)

I'm on the corner of 2nd ave, 12th st. You live up on the hill?
snow report
Bingo on new years day?! Thats brave.

I live on Beaver street, in west fernie, very near the hitching post.
ski holidays
its snowing now...again
latest report
PhotoTim wrote:
its snowing now...again

Not again...bloody white stuff... wink

PhotoTim, has there been a day in the last 2 weeks when it hasn't snowed in Fernie?
No sign of it letting up either. Snow-forecast is predicting a big dump for the weekend. Damn. snowHead
snow report
hd, shame as that's when I'm arriving snowHead snowHead The RCR forecast is less optimistic saying that most of the snow will fall further south
ski holidays
I don't think there have been many days that have been snowless over the last couple of weeks!

A dump on sat night would be magic as sunday will be sharkymark's first day in fernie...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...and i'm too slow at posting.
snow conditions
still snowing....
ski holidays
Yesterday's RCR weather forecast wrote:
ISSUED: Thursday December 27, 2007 15:45 MST

SYNOPSIS: The leading edge of a frontal system tracking southeastward from the south coast will provide occasional snow tonight, a relatively minor amount of moisture could result in 10+ cm of low density snow.

Er...looks like the Griz had other ideas...

Fernie snow report just wrote:
Date: Friday, December 28, 2007
Time: 4:48:49 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 44 cm / 17 in

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Just to illustrate the strength of the local "Fernie effect" here are the morning reports from a few other nearby resorts:

SUNSHINE

Friday December 28, 2007
Last Updated: 5:38 AM

Past 24hrs: 2cm

CASTLE

Time: 6:45:05 AM

Past 24hrs: 0cm
Past 48hrs: 2cm

PANORAMA

Last Updated: 12/28/2007 6:23 AM

Past 24hrs: Trace
Past 48hrs: Trace
Past 72hrs: 9cm

BIG MOUNTAIN

Reported on 12-28-2007
Report created at 05:54AM

Last 24hrs: 21cm
ski holidays
Its 7am here and it appears that it is still snowing. Nick the night audit has just informed me its been snowing all night. We've had 120cm in the last week. The snow reports always under estimate the amount of snow we get.

hd, When are you coming? I think Fernie will have disappeared by the time you get here...
latest report
PhotoTim wrote:
hd, When are you coming?

We land in Kalispell (MT) late on the 23 Jan. First of all there's 3 days riding Big Mountain, which is also looking pretty damn good, with 59cm of fresh in the last week. Then it's over the border to Fernie for the remaining 6 days of our trip. We might do day trips to Kimberley and/or Castle, which would leave only 4 days riding Fernie - is that enough???

PhotoTim wrote:
I think Fernie will have disappeared by the time you get here...

Nah, keep it coming Tim, keep it coming. We're all snowboarders so the more the merrier. Digging our hire car out of half a metre of fresh each morning will be a joy not a chore, if it has to be done. wink

PhotoTim wrote:
The snow reports always under estimate the amount of snow we get.

Yep, that appears to be the power of the "Fernie effect", or the Griz as he is known to locals? Snow-forecast predicted only 1-2cm's for last night. Bonkers.

And for the weekend, most predictions are suggesting significantly more intense precipitation than was forecast for last night. If snow-forecast.com 1-2cm = Fernie 45cm, I wonder what snow-forecast.com 4-5cm could produce??? snowHead
latest report
I suspect that you will ride fernie and then not bother with kimberley or Castle. There is so much terrain at fernie you wouldn't be able to do it all in a season, let alone 6 days!

Where are you staying? Did you book into the raging elk in the end?

Its still snowing....
snow report
PhotoTim, how much has fallen in the last 24 hours? Only an hour and a quarter until my ferry off the Oiland... snowHead snowHead
snow report
PhotoTim wrote:
I suspect that you will ride fernie and then not bother with kimberley or Castle. There is so much terrain at fernie you wouldn't be able to do it all in a season, let alone 6 days!

My thoughts entirely however my mate is keen on exploring. If (heaven forbid) we arrive in a dry patch a day trip will add variety. No need though if this 50cm+/week trend continues.

PhotoTim wrote:
Where are you staying? Did you book into the raging elk in the end?

We are just about to book into the Raging Elk. Lots of other locations were investigated however the combination of bargain price plus central location plus excellent reviews clinched it for the Elk. What it lacks in comfort will hopefully be compensated by location and lots of interesting fellow antipodean hostelers (er...) to make friends with - there's only 3 of us and we want to be sociable. Staying in a posh condo on the hill was very tempting but probably a bit too quiet for our liking. (and significantly more expensive)

Unfortunately the Elk have no more of their "semi-private" rooms available so we're going to book into a 4-bed dorm and hope that no random smelly person takes the spare bunk. Mega-cheap so more dosh for

PhotoTim wrote:
Its still snowing...

snowHead
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
PhotoTim, how much has fallen in the last 24 hours?

hd wrote:

Fernie snow report just wrote:
Time: 4:48:49 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 44 cm / 17 in

It's worth repeating that. 44cm. And still snowing. Filthy. snowHead
ski holidays
You'll enjoy the raging elk although you might need to be prepared to drink with some crazy aussies or kiwis! Get in touch nearer the time and I'll show you some good pow pow and drinking spots Very Happy

Oh, did I mention its still snowing....?
ski holidays
Sharkymark, you've timed it almost perfectly, just one day out! I am now working till 10 so should be able to pick you up at 11. I hope you don't need dinner...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy