Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Sharkymark, getting drunk solo isn't a favourite pastime of mine. Sad

Cracker of a first day on the slopes at Big Mountain. Cloudless blue skies all day, perfect temps and snow in tip-top condition over the whole mountain, with even plenty of soft spots off piste.

Still looking good for snow at the weekend. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, sounds good.

I always make friends after a beer or two Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hd, looks like your first day could be a killer. Snow is forecast to start sat lunchtime and continue through the night. I'll be out, look out for me, I am all grey (apart from red zips) with a dark green helmet.

Can't wait to shred the pow again its been too long (a week)!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh just realised you don't arrive until sunday eve. Oh well, I'll ride and tell you how good it was Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhotoTim, yeah we'll be "ripping it up" still here at Big Mountain on Sunday. Another good day today light snow all day 5-10cm by close of play. A small taste of things to come I hope. snowHead

I'll PM you again nearer the time about the possibility of meeting up on the hill.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tim - apologies for any actions that may or may not of happened on tuesday. Toofy Grin

You gonna be up first thing on Sunday? Remember the lifts open at 8:30 for season pass holders Very Happy Gimme a shout if you want to try and meet at a lift early or something.

Oh, and we're off to celebrate it being friday/the last potential hangover day tomorrow with snow back on the horizon... very likely will be in royal later tonight Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ah good man you reminded me of first tracks! nice one bruv. You sure its 8:30 and not 8? I'll text ya or summit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clear this morning at Big Mountain then the snow began just before midday and really started dumping around 2.30pm. Now snowing solidly - should be awesome tomorrow. First tracks in Hellroaring Basin here we come.

Today was another cracker. Soft spots all fresh tracks all over the mountain thanks to yesterday's (and today's...) new. Several laps of shin deep in the trees off the Bigfoot T-Bar that only opens at weekends. snowHead

And it looks like we really have struck it lucky with the conditions. Snow is forecast on EVERY DAY next week. Shocked

Fernie Weather Forecast wrote:
Reasonably solid agreement for “The Perfect Storm Fernie Style” tonight, a cold front with a sub-tropical feed of moisture aligning & stalling over southeastern B.C.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 27-01-08 2:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhotoTim, has it started dumping in Fernie?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not Tim, but it's coming down fast - not super thick yet but it's looking good snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh yeah! Dave, wake me up in the morning, aussie day celebrations have got the better of me already and its only 7:30...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gonna be a good day...

Big Mountain snow report wrote:
Heavy snow warning. (Code for "drop everything.") Daytime accumulation could be 3-7 inches. ("get up, wipe the sleep out of your eyes and wipe your car off--or take the snow bus...which means you have more money for apres ski beverages.") Need I say more? It snowed 5 inches last night. Do you remember that Monday a few weeks ago when it snowed all day and our tracks were covered over and over again? The people who skied that day will probably live longer due to sheer happiness. Let's hope it's like that today. Tonight, the snow should keep coming--another 3-7 inches to play in.

Although looks even better at Fernie...maybe we should have got up earlier and driven there this morning instead of this evening...

Fernie snow report wrote:

24 Hour: 27 cm / 11 in
48 Hour: 33 cm / 13 in
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, I'd put a reasonable stake on Fernie wiping the floor with Big Mountain but then I'm biased Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nuking big flakes down all night and still today, however, queues were utterly insane (20mins for boom), crowds were huge, and I managed to hook a tip on a (buried) tree and triple backflip down Cedar Ridge on my first run. Back home already - managed to re-twist my ankle so I'm back to hobbling around for another few days Sad Sad

However, tomorrow is looking like it's gonna be as sick as today but without the weekend crowd - should be awesome.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, why so busy? That sounds worse than New Year...
snow report
Worst I've seen it, and no idea why. I think it's that last week was dry, and the forecast for this weekend was so good. Timber didn't open till 9:30 either so it really focused the crowds. The best days here are the ones the forecast underestimates... luckily that's nearly all of them Smile
snow report
I
HAVE
NEVER
SEEN
SO
MUCH
SNOW
IN
ALL
MY
LIFE

Its been snowing constantly since late yesterday afternoon. The wind has picked up and is blowing it around in huge drifts. My prediction (based on pure gut feeling and optimism) for the fernie snow report tomorrow will be around 60cm in 24 hours. Snow today was heavy and wet, but tomorrow should be better with the possibility of the bowls opening...

I've also just been informed my shift has changed from 10am-4pm to 3pm-9pm snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
An first day of two halves in Fernie...

Arrived last night in a raging blizzard. The drive over the border from Whitefish was ahem "interesting" to say the least. Woke this morning to 44cm overnight fresh 78cm in the last 48hrs. Needless to say excitement levels were high.

The morning wasn't good though because:

1) Very little was open first thing. Timber chair started at 10.15am and we stayed on that side of the mountain all day. Busier than I had expected for a weekday and the fresh in Timber and Siberia bowls was tracked out quick. (Currie bowl was closed)

2) It was bonkers cold. -25 plus windchill. I got minor frostbite on my left ear. Still sore and inflammed now as I type.

3) Moistue on the inside of my goggles froze so that all morning I couldn't see feck all. Sad

But...the afternoon was AMAZING. After lunch we were doing laps on the timber and white pass chairs thinking "wouldn't it be nice if currie bowl opened just as we arrive at the top of the white pass chair". Guess what happened...

Around 2pm to the top of white pass we came and why are these 30ish people standing by the rope blocking the entrance to currie...? wink
Minutes later we were in. Couldn't believe our luck. Very Happy
My reward? To be the first into a completely untracked knee to high deep Currie Powder. F'kin' incredible. The stuff that dreams are made of. snowHead snowHead snowHead
2 more circuits were possible before close of play. All of currie bowl was sampled. All of it was good, damn good.

More of the same tomorrow please. Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-01-08 16:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
A pic of me on my penultimate run of the day through the Currie bowl 3.30pm. Muchos tracked by then but still superb.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 29-01-08 5:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
hd, I'd put a reasonable stake on Fernie wiping the floor with Big Mountain but then I'm biased Twisted Evil

Sharkymark, Sunday at Big Mountain was equally good for me as today (Monday) in Fernie, if not better.

Pics from BM on Sunday:

ski holidays
hd, nice pics. BM looks rubbish; I was right wink Toofy Grin

Look out for a tall grey-clad boarder with green helmet shooting pics of/hucking silly kickers on the traverse to Snake Ridge in Cedar Bowl...

Sounds much like my first day in every respect bar a little less snow and slightly warmer temps.
ski holidays
Sharkymark, nothing we did when you were here could even compare to what I experienced yesterday. 44cm of powder is the craziest thing in the world, it was flowing around my chest. Had a wicked day with hd, matt and Jacob too. LOADS of powder about and still plenty of freshies. Did Anaconda too which was soooooooooo good.

Bring on Bingo!
latest report
What a day. What...a...day...

Less busy.
Less cold.
Less icy crap on my goggles lens.

Snowed solidly all day, getting heavier in the afternoon.

All runs were superb. Anaconda glades ooohh baby. Last run on Currie chutes was the deepest powder I have ever ridden.

And the crazy thing is that tomorrow should be even better. Still snowing now and the forecast is for sunshine... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Bingo tonight.. I want to get first lifts tomorrow... oh the dilemma Shocked

Might have to leave my hungover housemates in bed and find out where the ski bus leaves from Puzzled
snow report
ski bus?! come on dave, you're a fernie local, they don't get the ski bus!

Did you see me win a pint of beer by dancing on the table wrapped in bog roll? pleeeeease don't lick my face again...
ski holidays
PhotoTim wrote:
Did you see me win a pint of beer by dancing on the table wrapped in bog roll?

Hilarious! Great night. Very Happy

As for today...29cm in the last 24hrs and it's sunny and not at all cold...ooohhhh.... snowHead
ski holidays
Dude, didn't you see me stood on the bar yelling at everyone to cheer for you? I reckon that swung it Wink

I got my housemate up, we left at 11:30 after seeing the snow out... woke up wearing my ghetto sock bandana steeze though!

I'll try and contain myself on the face licking but it's a tuesday tradition Twisted Evil

(oh, and as for the snow - 30cm of fresh blower powder outside Very Happy)
snow report
Apparently I took too long writing my post, great pic Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, today was sick. Perfect blower powder filling in the tracks from the last big dump, it was amazing. Even the tracked out snow was fresh and fluffy, easily my best day so far. Looking at the forecast for more of the same, I dont think you could of timed it much better hd Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Dammit...
ski holidays
hd, ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
More pics... bingo and today (though the camera didn't come out till fresh lines were skied!)

snow conditions
This is getting boringly repetitive. Today was superb, again. Dumping now, again. Tomorrow should be equally good if not better. We can't believe our luck in picking this week.

I've got loads more pics (of snowboarding, not bingo... wink ) but no time to post them now will do so when I get back home at the weekend. Sad
snow report
hd, good ain't it? How does Big Mountain compare now Twisted Evil Trying to sort out another 10 days during early March at the moment snowHead

DaveC, those pics are awesome
ski holidays
Charmin Ultra Soft, thats what I'm talkin about...

People are saying it hasn't snowed like this in 20 years. We have nearly 7m of snowfall so far (probably near 8 by the end of the weekend) and we are still only halfway through the season! I heard today was good, I'm back out tomorrow and for every day over the next week...

DaveC, give me a shout, I haven't ridden with you yet.
snow report
Going up first thing tomorrow dude, you gonna be up there? I'll give you a text later if you haven't rechecked here...
ski holidays
PhotoTim, he's great at digging as well as riding Laughing
latest report
WOW. Best day of the week so far. Another 32cm overnight Shocked so we got our back bottoms into gear and were queuing for the elk chair by 8.50am. Got on the 12th chair, not bad.

The morning went something like this...

First tracks on Boomerang
Several laps in a seriously deep Cedar Bowl

Then lunch... (cheers PhotoTim for showing us the Snow Creek Cafe we ate there both yesterday and today)

Afternoon was even better:

Morning glory oh yes what a great run. Very Happy
Anaconda glades...steep... Shocked
Then we found out that Currie Bowl had opened, but only the skiers right section (Down Right and 123s). Which predictably were chopped up to hell by the time we dropped in.
All afternoon the snow had been really shitting it down. It cleared and we took another run down Morning Glory. WOWSERS. The afternoon snow had covered our tracks and I found a perfect untouched line all the way down to the Falling Star run out. Superb.
Then just enough time (caught White Pass chair at 3.58pm...) to lap into Suprize Trees. More untracked perfection. Mmmm.

All week we have been riding soft snow normally minimum shin deep (often much much more). It feels very strange now to be on a pisted run...

Our last day tomorrow. Sad
Bizarrely I'm praying that it doesn't snow tonight so that Lizard, Currie and Upper Cedar bowls might open.
latest report
Holy poo-poo.

HD's prayers were answered - we only got 24cm last night, and Lizard/Currie opened. Caught both the opening. Knee/waist deep first track down Currie Powder, with approx 50 other people skiing other lines through the bowl. When the all clear was given, everyone ducked the rope at the same time - at least 5 people were clotheslined and taken out by it. 5-10 people collided in the scrum on the traverse. It was awesome - destruction derby meets skiing.

We hit Bear for one last run before heading home to rest aching bodies from the weeks snowfall - as we got to the top, two patrollers had just opened upper lizard. There was a snowmobile track along the traverse. That was it. It was stunning to see. I dropped in just before Dancer to cut across to the trees on that side. I started sinking and losing speed. I came to a stop shoulder deep about 20ft from the treeline and the end of the flatter bit that drops away into the trees. It took me 30 mins to wade to the treeline. Utterly insane. I dont think upper lizard has been been open since the storm began - it was literally six foot deep (I'm 6'4).

Utterly, utterly insane Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
DaveC, I hate you...I really do Toofy Grin

Were you out with PhotoTim as well?

hd, Don't worry, I hate you too. Tim was saying best conditions for years...good work on hitting the big time! Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy