Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
OH MY *&^%£$( GOD. That was probably one of THE BEST days skiing I've EVER had. DaveC, good?! It was %&*$£*& AWESOME snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Right, I've calmed down a bit now. We woke up to about 5cm in town and 10 cm on the hill. Did Morning Glory first and it was several inches deep but not enough to cover old ruts. I then did Currie Bowl where it was nearer a foot deep and covering all the old tracks snowHead All this time it was dumping so hard that I was choking on the snow flakes just sitting on the lift Toofy Grin I then skied into Cedar Bowl and it was absolutely bloody sensational. With each run the snow was getting up to 2 inches deeper and by this afternoon I was skiing over my knees in fresh untracked snow snowHead snowHead There were simply not enough people here to ski it out. SWEET snowHead

The only slightly unfortunate thing is that today was my last day and I face a 5am start in the morning and I'll have to put up with everyone banging on about how great the snow is everywhere else until next time Twisted Evil Still, it was the perfect end to probably the best skiing trip of my life. ACE snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yesterday in Cedar Bowl:

Copyright me so hands off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhotoTim, Looks like it was not just the snow that was dumping. Did you airbrush the toilet out?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great thread! Not coming out till 23rd Feb, but getting exited already! Save some of that powdery stuff for us!!!!!! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These posts are getting boringly repetitive. wink

Quote:
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Time: 7:18:43 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 30 cm / 12 in
48 Hour: 37 cm / 15 in

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So my brother left on wednesday morning and my mate rich (some of you met him at EOSB 07) arrived wednesday evening. I managed to get a couple of hours in on wednesday morning in a foot of fresh and this morning had a great time in pretty much the same. Hardly anyone else on the mountain today and it was dumping all morning so was filling up as we rode and there were freshies everywhere!

Day off tomorrow oh yeah
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, single/double diamond so a little steep for actually standing up Twisted Evil

My walk to the coach pickup carrying in 6 ins of fresh at -15 wasn't too amazing though Evil or Very Mad

Finally caught up with the living legends that are Dve C and his mate Dan and bought them beer at the Bingo (don't ask - another reason I felt rubbish the day I left) snowHead

Work tomorrow and it feels like 5:30pm. Rubbish Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is getting silly.

Quote:
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Friday, January 11, 2008
Time: 7:24:36 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 17 cm / 7 in Snow Pack: 263 cm / 104 in
48 Hour: 36 cm / 14 in Year to Date: 506 cm /199 in
7 Day: 94 cm / 37 in

Fernie has now received more than half its average seasonal snowfall (350 inches) in a little over 6 weeks. Shocked

Quote:
TODAY'S INFORMATION

"Dig out your snorkel!!!"

Quote:
After what many agree was the season's best day so far, it pays to reflect that the 17cms of snow that came down in waves throughout the past 24 hours may just make today even better! By the end of the day, there were still powder stashes on the main runs leading to the daylodge - virtually every line and every run is the best option. Absolutely beautiful!

Non-groomed terrain is completely stupendous all over the mountain...

Fingers crossed the mini pineapple express doesn't do too much damage start of next week. Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd, locals were telling me I'd picked the best 10 days for a long time. One said the best for 5 or 6 seasons. Long may it continue. 7 weeks to go... snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit busy in Fernie this weekend?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah just a bit. I was up late that day so missed the real good stuff although I got a sweet ride in cedar bowl. Haven't had any snow for a couple of days now but hopefully it will dump soon. We have about the same amount of base as whistler despite the snow fall coming waaaaaaaay later! The average snowfall here is something like 8m and we have had over 5m in just over a month! Still have the big dump months to come Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhotoTim, how's Rich enjoying it? A lot, I imagine Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhotoTim wrote:
Haven't had any snow for a couple of days now

Normal service is resumed:

Quote:
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Time: 5:06:42 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 20 cm / 8 in
48 Hour: 20 cm / 8 in

9 sleeps... snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This morning looks insane. Everything was groomed yesterday too, so it's gonna be 20cm (at least, I reckon - it's still dumping too) of fresh on top of nice flat piste Very Happy Very Happy

Wish I had a camera! More to the point, wish my housemate would hurry up so we can head to the hill Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, excellent news. Here's the "official" 8am report:

Quote:
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Time: 7:54:32 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 27 cm / 11 in
48 Hour: 27 cm / 11 in

Wish I was there right now...especially as the rest of the week looks relatively dry...
snow conditions
Sick this morning - maybe one of the best pow days we've had -but no Currie/Cedar by the time we had to come off the hill at 1, so even the relatively low local traffic tracked it out pretty fast... I think it's just the avvy risk slowing up other bowls opening, hopefully this weeks cold snap will consolidate it and start getting things safer.
snow report
great day had by me and rich too. Woke up to over 20cm in town and because it was a little wet, everything was caked in it. Anyway, got on the hill by about 9:10 and headed straight up timber and then white pass. After a few nice runs through some trees we noticed a ski patrol girl waiting on the ridge at the top of the bowly bit in timber (Dave whats that bowl called?). People were gathering in anticipation for the opening so, like sheep we joined. Rich moaned at me for sitting around but then she gave use the go ahead to rip on down and boy was it worth it. 30 or so people raced into the bowl all at once all shouting and everyone on the lift cheering too! I cut down the right and go fresh all the way down. Short but oh so sweet. We did a few more runs including surprise trees and then hit morning glory before lunch. After a huge heap of discount nachos (perks of the jobs Very Happy ) we headed into Cedar to find it all but deserted. One particular bit was still almost fresh (i think the wind had blown it flat again) and we had some fantastic runs down that.

Its sooooooooo good to have some snow again! Beer Bong Bingo tonight so better get my drinking hat on...
latest report
Absolutely no idea which bowl you mean NehNeh I can't think of anything off Timber that's ever shut? Guessing you don't mean Currie?

May well see you at Bingo, mates had a messy one last night to celebrate their CSIA but I had an early one as it was nuking snow... looking dry tonight so a hangover awaits tomorrow I think...
snow conditions
Bingo...this time last week...sigh Sad
ski holidays
snow: none today, cold

hangover: strong, still present, not dared eat yet

memory: definately tried to lick tim's face at some point...
latest report
DaveC, ha ha ha ha Laughing
latest report
oh dear, did you really?! I'm proud to say west fernie won the ghetto games.

I'm having a few days off riding to let my body recover slightly but hopefully early next week I'll be out with some good boarders and skiers sessioning some kickers for photos.

More snow expect here sometime around the weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
PhotoTim wrote:
I'm having a few days off riding to let my body recover slightly

PhotoTim, are you turning into a Fernie-local-who-only-skis-the-big-dump-days? I don't blame you.

PhotoTim wrote:
hopefully early next week I'll be out with some good boarders

Yep, we arrive week on Sunday. Photos would be much appreciated, ta... wink

PhotoTim wrote:
More snow expect here sometime around the weekend

Good good. Daily updates please. Did it snow yesterday at all? I'm suffering from excitement overload here... Very Happy
snow report
hd, if my experiences are anything to go by, there'll be a lot of hiking up deep steeps for "one more shot" Toofy Grin
latest report
GFS is starting to look a tad "interesting" for our arrival at the end of the week. All of the runs in the last day or two have been predicting an active low pressure system to pile it's way towards BC Friday onwards all the way from balmy Alaska....

Snow?

Scary looking purple and black colours Shocked Shocked Shocked

That would translate into a serious Fernie dump snowHead but I'm hoping for a change in the forecast of those temps... Sad
ski holidays
well thats good. Its dumping now and hopefully it will carry on tonight. Weather here is very weird, dumps can come out of nowhere and generally we get a LOT more accumulation than is forecast. As for the cold temps just make sure you have some form of face mask! Temperatures can also change at the drop of a hat.
snow report
PhotoTim wrote:
Its dumping now and hopefully it will carry on tonight.

Excellent news. GFS 18Z not so severe on the temps. Still looking good for some serious dumpage towards the end of the week. Can't bloody wait so excited. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
hd wrote:
PhotoTim wrote:
Its dumping now and hopefully it will carry on tonight.

It didn't Sad First time the Griz and weatherman has let us down - the predicted 5-10cm didn't show up, today was decidedly icy.

Oh - and Tim, we're going to the pub (at park place) for free pool tonight then to the royal later if you fancy it dude.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have fun last night dave? Thanks for the message, I had just got in from work and was cooking dinner. Was going to head to the royal but ended up asleep on the couch, rock n roll!

Bingo tomorrow?
snow conditions
On Saturday hd wrote:
GFS is starting to look a tad "interesting" for our arrival at the end of the week. All of the runs in the last day or two have been predicting an active low pressure system to pile it's way towards BC Friday onwards all the way from balmy Alaska....

Snow?

Confidence is starting to increase on the possiblity of the weekend dumporama. Here's what Fernie weather bloke has to say in his just-updated report:

Quote:
FERNIE ALPINE RESORT FORECAST:

TONIGHT: Increasing clouds with light flurries beginning after midnight. Minor accumulations are likely. Low near -20.

TUESDAY: Cloudy with morning flurries and late day sunny breaks. A few centimeters are likely. High near -11.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Clear periods. Low near -18.

OUTLOOK:
WEDNESDAY: Mainly sunny. High near -9.

THURSDAY: A mix of cloud and sunshine. High near -8.

FRIDAY: Cloudy with sunny periods. A few flurries are possible. High near -7.

CONFIDENCE: Fair. Latest guidance is predicting a greater chance of flurries for tomorrow than previous issues. The new midrange computer model is also more consistent about increasing moisture late in the week. After tomorrow, the greatest chance for flurries is starting to look more certain for Friday but accumulations should be minor. The chance of fresh snow is looking much greater during the coming weekend.

So hopefully a couple of inches tomorrow to freshen things up prior to our first day on the slopes at Big Mountain on Thursday. Then potential mega dumpage to begin just before we turn up in Fernie on Sunday. Man I have NEVER been this excited about a snowboarding trip before. Bring it on.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Yeah, I'll be at Bingo. What is it with tuesdays and fresh snow?? Seems to dump nearly every time I'm absolutely haggard Sad

You didn't miss much last night, it was pretty quiet. Sundays at the Royal are a bit odd, I went a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome, last night it was quiet (and a sausagefest at that Evil or Very Mad )
snow report
Very cold and dry at the moment, forecast has no snow for tonight now and only a maybe for the weekend. Bit weird having groomers! No crowds at all though, it's quite nice after the hardship of non stop snow for a month - though I'd still prefer some more of that!
ski holidays
DaveC, you're not going to lick my face again tonight are you?
snow report
DaveC wrote:
forecast has no snow for tonight now and only a maybe for the weekend

I'm still optimistic. GFS precipitation charts continue to show lots of blue blobs on/near Fernie, darker on Sunday.
ski holidays
PhotoTim wrote:
DaveC, you're not going to lick my face again tonight are you?

I make no promises.
snow conditions
I'm on my way. Currently sitting in Minneapolis airport waiting for my connecting flight to Seattle. Then Kalispell. 8 hours down only another 8 to go... rolling eyes

My laptop clock tells me it's 10.15pm so I should be tired but the sun is shining brightly here cos local time is 3.15pm so I'm wide awake... Confused Confused Confused

Lots of snow here in Minneapolis.

Anyway...enough of this jet-lag-fuelled waffle...some excellent news to report. The forecasts are finally improving in line with what I've been saying for the last week...to suggest that the weekend dumpage may well be on. Snow Forecast is predicting 25-30cm over the course of Fri/Sat/Sun for Fernie and it normally underestimates accumulation by a lot. Fingers, toes, everything crossed.

Environment Canada aren't so confident but I remain optimistic.

In the meantime...for our first snowboard day tomorrow at Big Mountain it looks like we'll be enjoying clear blue skies and -10 degree temps preserving a 200cm+ base...not a bad way to start the holiday... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Now sitting in Seattle airport waiting for my final flight to Kalispell. Tired, confused, have completely lost track of what time/day/month/year it is. The things we do in the quest for pow. Sad

This just-released hazardous weather warning for NW Montana (i.e. Big Mountain area, not far from Fernie) has perked me up though:

National Weather Service Missoula MT wrote:
556 PM MST WED JAN 23 2008 /456 PM PST WED JAN 23 2008/

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTH CENTRAL
IDAHO...NORTHWEST MONTANA AND WEST CENTRAL MONTANA.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

AN ARCTIC AIRMASS REMAINS OVER THE REGION. THE COMBINATION OF MOSTLY
CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL LEAD TO VERY COLD TEMPERATURES BELOW
ZERO TONIGHT.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY

AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN WILL BE DEVELOPING LATE THIS COMING WEEKEND
INTO THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK...AS A DEEP TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE BEGINS
TO MOVE INTO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWFALL
WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND PASSES
...ESPECIALLY SUNDAY AND
AGAIN ON TUESDAY AS WEATHER DISTURBANCES MOVE THROUGH THE AREA.
STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER WEATHER UPDATES OR POSSIBLE HIGHLIGHTS AS
THE WEEKEND APPROACHES.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Ever think you check forecasts too often? Wink
snow report
DaveC wrote:
Ever think you check forecasts too often?

Yes. Geek central. Nowt much better to do though when stuck in an airport.
ski holidays
hd, yes there is: BEER Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy