Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski, versus how skiing works...

Poster: A snowHead
when the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
veeeight, congratulations on 2000 posts! Some challenging the establishment, some relevant, some irrelevant. You may get a lot of abuse here, but I appreciate your slant on things. snowHead

I hope number 2000 was the "strap on" post Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10, but hot dog buns come in packs of 8?

To answer this will lead to the path of strap on/enlightenment. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, Mustard or Ketchup?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle,

Pax...? I would think so...............you have some way to go to be the most unpopular poster on here...Laughing Laughing Laughing

so try harder next time... and you still wont be on the same planet... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, Mayo Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, "Mayo" on a hotdog? There is something very, very wrong with you...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Early start tomorrow, inspection of a psychiatric ICU. So, on the way from one madhouse to another, I'm off to bed now. Pax, guys?

Pax eh? so it is okay to use Latin in posts but not acronymns or technical descriptive language rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh boy! I turn off for the night, and when I turn back on again there are 3 pages of this!! Shocked Shocked

I don't see a problem with the way most of the technical threads go on here. Unless, of course, there is unnecessary sniding. The shame is that most of it is fairly straightforward and many Snowheads tell me they never look on BZK, and this is a shame.

I keep trying to persuade more instructors to contribute to make it more interesting: eg Mad Dog USA Euangonskiing and whatever Dave calls himself. I recently suggested to Alpine Logic that he did the same. Where is Stewart Woodward on this forum, or Philip Stanton are they all scared off by some of the remarks above? After all we are all trying to help, and we are giving Snowheads for free something that we normally charge for.... When I first joined 3 years ago I didn't contribute to BZK for some time for that very reason ... I often disagree with Veeeight but that's just disagreement ..... plenty of room for that.

I don't think anyone gets short shrift for asking questions, unless they couch them in sarcasm. What I see is a lot of instructors and good skiers trying to help the more novicy skiers along, and sometimes getting pedantic about how to do it (no harm in that from time to time).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

are they all scared off by some of the remarks above

Not scared but cant be a*sed i would suggest. why bother contributing detailed knowledge or debating about how skiing works when you are going to get scolded by the "keep it simple police" if you use acronyms, jargon or skiing related terminolgoy. It gets tedious.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I often disagree with Veeeight but that's just disagreement

Oh come now, I disagree. There have been more agreements in recent times than disagreements.............
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Snowheads would be the losers if the instructors refused to give us the benefit of their considerable experience. I think the thing we mustn't lose sight of is as mentioned above that they receive no payment for the huge amounts of info that they give us. Think how much the books would sell for if they asked us to buy it all in fancy covers!! Shocked

I've learned loads regardless of how its been written and can't wait to get to the slopes to put it all, hopefully, to work. It's very useful in my situation to have read loads of theory, most of which I fully understand. My instructors first language is def. not English as much as mine is not German and although we get along fine I will this year have a far better idea of what he is trying to get me to see in my skiing largely due to what I have read and my session with Spyderman at MK.

Don't run scared instructors - more power to your elbows I say. I think you're all brilliant regardless of your individual styles.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I still believe that there are subtle differences in some threads. In some you(the techy types) are trying to teach us, and we much appreciate that. My skiing has improved enormously since I found snowheads.
In others you are bouncing teaching ideas and finer points off of one another. We less experienced skiers still learn from these threads but is that their primary purpose? and is it a bit selfish of some to grudge that indulgence?

Thanks to all who give advice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello - I am new here. I am a qualified ski instructor and very interested to read what people are thinking. I believe I am a good teacher because I can explain things clearly and try many different ways to explain the same thing if the pupil does nto understand - that means finding new vocabulary, analogies etc - but I have tried to explain some things in writing and that was when i realised how hard it is to write meaningful instruction - you only have to look at the training manual in my system - and others - to see how hard it is to put it in writing. There are many terms used by each different national ski association and often ski instructors think in these terms - terms ofrten not familiar to the pupils. There are some excellent training videos and CD roms but if you took away the images/film etc - I wonder if the commentary would mean much. I have found some good film footage onyoutube of racers and have been able to use this as an example of something I can clearly see and teach but the people I was chatting with don't refer to some elements the way i do and they just could not see it. It is quite challenging - but fun. rolling eyes
snow report
Oooo....I like folks that choose an issue that is causing a difference of opinion to be their first post. Brave you krunchie63, I think you should fit in well - welcome to the madhouse from me!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-11-07 14:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
krunchie63, sorry, can you run that by me again, didn't quite get it Confused
snow conditions
krunchie63, Welcome to Snowheads, and a warm welcome to this part of it. Where do you currently work?
ski holidays
krunchie63, nice to have you here.

I think that the industry pro's that post regularly on here can regard time spent as good marketing. How many posts tell folk to seek out Lockwoods or Solutions for feet if they need boots. easiski seems to have now taught a huge number of snowHeads and is always cited as a great instuctor.

The site promotes the use of pro's, and most will try to use fellow posters as they feel there's already a connection there.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,

I don't think Fastman benefits from much "marketing" here....

a) He is not currently running a race program atm (semi-retired - but we had best not say that he will hit me because in reality he works more than I do I guess Wink )
b) There are not that many aspiring racers here
c) He is not exactly selling anything else either
d) he is on a different continent

Now regarding others such as Easiski ....
If you worked out how many hours she spent on this site (including taking photos etc) and then worked out how much extra business this nets her I think you would find she would be better off waiting tables on a dollar per hour basis....

The thing is I think they actually enjoy teaching people about skiing .... Very Happy
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Pax eh? so it is okay to use Latin in posts but not acronymns or technical descriptive language rolling eyes

Sad.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Sad.

Eloquent response, just what is "sad" about pointing out your dual standards.
latest report
krunchie63, welcome, I look forward to reading your stuff.
snow conditions
veeeight, Just looked at the Tesco website. Hot dogs come in 4s, 6s, 8s and 10s. Rolls come in 6s. What does this mean Great Master? wink

Hurtle, You did - as you have done to me in the past - give all the Instructors here except easiski a little snide side-swipe there. Fundamentally I agree with you. When then language gets more and more complicated to describe something that is fundamentally a kinaesthetic experience, I think language has failed. But so what - that is half the fun. Talking cowdoo and over-analysing is human behaviour and fun,

I like lurking and looking at the posts in this section but post infrequently here. There are some very interesting discussions, but there are sometimes when an instructor is manifestly talking complete cack, and toys exit the pram when this is pointed out to them (remember "experts never turn to slow down" anyone?). There are also those who aggressively promote the superiority of one instruction style over another - and not everyone who does Kramer's "willy-waving" in here apparently has one. Not just a male trait by any means.

Anyway - carry on everyone!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother, 10 Dogs, 8 Buns, leaves 2 left over for other purposes. wink
snow report
Spyderman, not the famous human hot dog impersonation surely...
ski holidays
little tiger, I was wasn't raising criticism, just hoping to encourage lurking pro's to post.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret,
Quote:

Eloquent response, just what is "sad" about pointing out your dual standards.

(Not sure...or there again...why I'm having to explain every post.) Whilst this is Latin, it is also a term used in - admittedly somewhat archaic - English. My gripe is with jargon, not with all acronyms (though their over-use can be a problem as, notably, in the NHS, as I'm sure that those who have any connection with the NHS will agree) or with technical descriptive language which is clear on its face.

stoatsbrother, First of all, it is, I repeat, provable that I have given credit to all posters whose contributions I have admired and these include a lot more than easiski. It is true, however, that I have found both her and fastman the most consistently clear and I am not the only person to have remarked on that fact.

Quote:

there are sometimes when an instructor is manifestly talking complete cack, and toys exit the pram when this is pointed out to them (remember "experts never turn to slow down" anyone?). There are also those who aggressively promote the superiority of one instruction style over another

Now I know you are not keen on double standards, so why exactly is it OK for you to say this, when it is, give or take, much the same as I (and others) have been saying?
latest report
Quote:

why I'm having to explain every post

Not fun is it when someone picks apart your arguements and points out your inconsistencies and double standards.

Try starting a thread of your own sometime, i would be interested to see how you try to keep it simple and on message, how you handle the mickey takers, trolls and respond to sniping.

Quote:

easiski. It is true, however, that I have found both her and fastman the most consistently clear

Our two resident sages have decades of experience teaching skiing. should the rest of us not even attempt to answer questions leave everything to them and assume they are the only ones able to explain things to your exacting standards?
ski holidays
Hurtle

JT wrote:
................ I reckon everyone is capable of talking out of their backsides at times... Not many posters here who aren't, IMV.

Laughing Laughing

so I was going to applaud that post from stoatb, but didn't want to endorse the point against you ....that has worn a bit thin, I think, so we all should move on.

Sometimes we all like the sound of our own voices but generally the spirit is there, so I don't bite as much.... we just have our more condusive prefs for poster and presentation styles.

ski holidays
To be fair (and this is in no way a sleight on easiski) - easiski rarely (now) teaches/coaches high end skiers that will, at some time, require an in-depth understanding of how skiing works, and thus rarely starts such thread that requires such indepth technical language.

And barbed comments such as
Quote:
Please - seriously - feel free to ignore this question if it is not possible to explain it to a non-physicist.

from yourself will hardly endear you to anyone.

Unfortunately on this, and on other skiing forums, I have seen many a good ski pro being deterred or not bothered to post any gems, pearls of wisdoms etc. because of the constant noise/irrelevant whining coming from people who may have their own agenda. And sadly, that is one of the reasons (apart from continually wanting to turn BzK into an extension of the Apres Ski bar) why so few ski pros bother posting on BzK despite easiski's continual recruitment.
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

Not fun is it when someone picks apart your arguements and points out your inconsistencies and double standards.
I'm perfectly happy to have an argument and to fight my own corner. It is, I concede, more fun to leaven this with a modicum of humour - the odd bit of sarcasm, or even sniping (which is rife all over snowHeads) are not the most heinous of crimes, unless thoroughly overdone and obviously upsetting for the recipient. However, as has been pointed out to me on more than one occasion, internet forums (oops, a Latin word - well, sort of - sorry) are not good places for really sensitive flowers.
ski holidays
veeeight, Fair comment, although I do have the occasional junior racer (and Little Tiger to deal with. Laughing Laughing

However, I do really believe that it's possible to explain skiing in simple terms. It's possible to understand the physics on a simple global level without getting into arguments about the specific meaning in physics of particular words (which may have another meaning in real life). having said that, some terms are used as shorthand (ILE etc) and so long as these terms are explained I don't see a problem either way. At the end of the day most Snowheads are recreational skiers, so it's useful for them to have more theory, but it should (and I believe can) be discussed in simple terms.

Sadly, advancing years do generally mean a reduction in the skiing level of one's students - when I'm 70 I may be limited to adult beginners - who knows, but I'll hopefully still be able to offer something.

I agree with you though, that many of the instructors on here are probably put off by what is seen as 'slagging', and therefore why should they make the effort? Sad
snow conditions
veeeight,
Quote:

And barbed comments such as
Quote:
Please - seriously - feel free to ignore this question if it is not possible to explain it to a non-physicist.

from yourself will hardly endear you to anyone.

Oh dear, my powers of expression are obviously highly deficient. I intended this with absolutely no sarcasm - I am not a physicist and was attempting to acknowledge that the physics involved might be beyond me. I was just hoping that there might be a way of explaining it that might not be beyond me, though was unsure. And I'd like to say, once again, that a 'private' discussion between pros at the high end of technical arguments is something on which I would take care not to trespass. But BZK isn't just for pros, is it? It would be a bit like my having an argument with someone about the law against perpetuities on here, wouldn't it? That's apart from the fact that it would bore everyone to death in about two seconds, of course! wink
ski holidays
easiski, please understand that I mean no malice nor any sort of talking down on your clearly great instruction! Although I get the feeling that I now have a (more) black marks against me from the easiski fan club! Laughing
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:

I'm perfectly happy to have an argument and to fight my own corner.

You seem to be MOST happy having arguments and fighting your own corner. "Persecuted Pedant" is an odd moniker and a badge you seem to wear with honour.

Good luck to you but don't be surprised when the pool of people discussing topics in threads that you participate in inevitably dwindles

I prefer to debate and learn from constructive discussions as opposed to being sarcastic or sniping, If that makes me a sensitive flower so be it.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
a 'private' discussion between pros at the high end of technical arguments is something on which I would take care not to trespass. But BZK isn't just for pros, is it? It would be a bit like my having an argument with someone about the law against perpetuities on here, wouldn't it? That's apart from the fact that it would bore everyone to death in about two seconds, of course! wink

So because BZK isn't just for pros are you saying that a high level discussion using the kind of technical jargon and shorthand that all professions have should be subject to criticism from other people, and perhaps not even allowed at all. I find that an utterly bizarre and somewhat distasteful notion. I couldn't care less who 'talks' to who, in what fashion and on what subject. Just so long as it is being done in a respectful manner why should it matter to anyone else. We're not forced to read and understand every thread, so if there's something you're not interested in or don't understand there will undoubtedly be other threads where time can be spent more profitably.
snow conditions
Quote:

But BZK isn't just for pros, is it?

No, it isn't.

But - specific threads in BzK may be pitched at a level appropriate to someone say wishing to sit his/her instructors exams this season, and therefore the technical language and terminology in that specific thread *will* be used (primarily so that they can converse with their examiners intelligently, and secondarily not to dumb it down) - in which case bleats of "please dumb it down for me" may not be welcome at that specific moment in time.

There is nothing stopping you starting another thread asking for an explaination of a concept being discussed, however.

The other thing that is highly irritating to many on here is the assertion that the ski instructors on here that mangle the techcy discussions must, by implication, be crap instructors as they are incapable of explaining things simply (like easiski does NehNeh ).

Without wishing to wander down the path of psychlogical profiling, and seeing as you've not met many of those that mangle the technical jargon in real life, for a real life lesson, I simply cannot see how an assertion can possibly hold true.
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Quote:

I prefer to debate and learn from constructive discussions as opposed to being sarcastic or sniping

Fair enough, a perfectly valid viewpoint.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy