Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski, versus how skiing works...

Poster: A snowHead
It seems to me that virtually all threads on snowHead 's that are intended to be technical analytical discussions of skiing topics such as body mechanics, skiing related physics, specific drills, fault correction, etc. inevitably turn into an argument that things are getting unnecessarily overly complicated.

Ski instruction and coaching when on the slope should be clear and simple utilising plain illustrative language coupled with demonstration and not be confusing or complicated. However, when trying to discuss, understand and dissect detailed concepts on a forum like this what is wrong with descending into technical language and ski specific jargon? Both types of discussions have merit but don’t seem to mix well IMO.

Should threads in the BZK's forum be prefaced that a thread is EITHER about learning how to ski and is skewed towards coaching, instruction and tips that you would expect to hear on the slope, OR, is intended to be a detailed technical analysis on how skiing works, with technical terminology that may get geeky at times.

I see a place for both types of discussions here and would this help avoid the inevitable counter productive arguments that seem to crop up?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Yes, good idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What puzzles me is that children are taught without all the tecnospeak and seem to pick it up quicker.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, It's a good idea but I don't know if it would get rid of the arguments. When I go into a technical thread I can quite quickly see what level the discussion is pitched at. If it is above my head I think "hey, this is way above me" but I don't feel the need to scold anyone because their discussion is technical.
Perhaps we could flag up whether the thread is aimed at instructors or pupils .....though then I might not feel welcome in the technical threads and we couldn't have that could we wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, That could be a whole new topic Very Happy

ickabodblue, but some of the best questions in technical threads are asked by "pupils" wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue, techy discussions shouldnt be aimed at a certain audience or be "above" anyone, joining in and asking for clarification to try to understand helps make sure that what is being discussed is actually being understood. good to have different points of view IMO.

Quote:

I don't feel the need to scold anyone because their discussion is technical.
hurrah, a voice of reason
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, Absolutely true, as FastMan so eloquently said in another thread, but I think that some of the technical types can articulate questions very well where,I certainly, struggle and feel a little awkward. That said I do not want to feel excluded from technical threads.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ickabodblue,

If an instructor is talking over your head, they aren't instructing very well...IMO
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Yeh, but we're not talking about conventional instructing are we? We're talking about blogging. In a lot of these threads folk are bouncing ideas off one another in an attempt to improve their instructing skills and to learn from each other.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Of course, But if said instructor isnt well versed on the underlying detail and theory of what he/she is trying to communicate to students they may not be able to succinctly give the best advice or correct the students underlying problems.

All teachers IMO should have a deep knowledge of their subject matter and be able to clearly communicate, as you say spouting jargon isnt instructing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ickabodblue, or getting their point across.... I should have said.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, You and me both Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:
but some of the best questions in technical threads are asked by "pupils"

I must say, as a novice, how nice it is to be able to ask almost any question and not be made to feel stupid. Yes, there's leg-pulling sometimes, but for the most part it's very good natured and overall there is a supportive atmosphere. So, from me, THANKS - I've learned so much and feel I have loads of friends on here!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I remember a thread slightly similar to this a few months ago, about how to teach, which met with the usual silence/disdain.
Some people like to teach, some like to show off their knowledge, some like to make others feel somehow less valid, and some enjoy hero worship.

Recently, on another forum Wink I said this...
Quote:

I don't understand skiing.
I don't claim to understand skiing.
I like to ask questions.
I don't like having to listen to people who claim to have all the answers.
I don't like people who don't ask honest and open questions.
I don't like those who start with the assumption that I am wrong, so cannot have a reasonable discussion with me, or teach me.

So, you want to help me to understand skiing better?
1. Start with an open mind!
2. Ask honest questions without agendas
3. Listen to the answers I give.
4. If the answer doesn't make sense, ask for specific clarification. Don't accuse or assume it means something else.
5. If I ask a question, treat it in the same way: honest, looking for understanding.

Finally, a bit of self-depricating humour goes a long way. If you can't laugh at yourself, you're probably too up-tight to interact well with me. I don't take myself too seriously, I'm here to have fun!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, I seem to remember that one and it went a bit quiet. I think it is harder on this kind of forum to have a good debate about "soft" teaching or coaching issues and it is easier to be technical and detailed in the confines of a bulletin board. Not sure the soft topics are met with disdain.... at least not by me and I learned a few things on the ones i have participated on.

Quote:

Some people like to teach, some like to show off their knowledge, some like to make others feel somehow less valid, and some enjoy hero worship.

i would add that most people here like to learn as opposed to showing off.

I kinda like both types of threads but i get somewhat annoyed when people want to "scold" other snowheads for using technical language in what is meant to be a technical forum. There does seem to be a "plain English" campaign at times that kills off tech talk subjects and an undercurrent of "go over to Epic if you want to be geeky". Hence my thread....

Quote:

I don't like having to listen to people who claim to have all the answers.

I can relate to all of what you quoted but not sure about the above in the context of a forum. You dont have to listen to anyone here and you can be selective in what you look at and when to engage in debate.

I dont go into the Apres zone and tell people to stop sending smily faces to each other so why should we have to argue in BZK's if someone wants to say dorsi flex instead of bend your ankle forward wink
snow report
skimottaret, true, you don't have to listen to anyone, but the signal to noise ratio can lose a lot of the signal if a group discussion becomes a monologue or dialogue where others are not encouraged to join in.
snow conditions
I think the best thing about discussions on Snowheads is that no matter how technical they become anyone seems welcome to join in. I think if the instructors wanted to discuss technique and for this not to happen that they'd reserve their discussions to a password protected instructors area. This doesn't happen. The techies on the site know that this is a public forum. I believe that they offer up their considerable expertise for consumption by all. The amount of knowledge I've seen offered up, not to mention the time spent typing it is to my mind generosity beyond belief. Us beginners are treated, largely wink , with as much respect as the experts. There always seems to be tacit understanding that we were all beginners once. I for one fully appreciate the response to often, what must seem to someone that has been doing this for years, innane questions in that, ultimately, I always find out the answers even after a bit of good natured mickey taking - but that never hurt anyone.

As folks like Wear The Fox Hat, have often encouraged - there is no such thing as a daft question. The daft person is the one that out of choice, or pride, decides to remain ignorant. When I don't understand a technical discussion I'm afraid I'll interupt it and ask questions until I do. Now I'm sorry if this sometimes breaks the 'run' of the discussion, but hey! its a public forum isn't it?

Even if questions were flagged as pupil or instructor, I'd still read both and I'd still interupt both if I didn't understand things - it seems an extra effort for no real gain, but I guess if you want to feel elitist then you could tag you discussion as 'instructor' or 'technical', but it won't make any difference to how I treat the threads. I don't think snowheads would want it to either.
ski holidays
Quote:

When I don't understand a technical discussion I'm afraid I'll interupt it and ask questions

This is of course entirely welcome. No problems there.

What does become tiresome quickly is the whining from some quarters that it's all too complicated and difficult, and why can't everything be explained in two words or less.

Not to mention the assumption that the geeky dissection of skiing that goes on in threads by instructors automatically transalates to overly complicated explainations when actually teaching on the hill. rolling eyes

If you watch Strictly Come Dancing, there are great parallels to that and skiing. Some people watch it for the elegance and flow. Some judge on technical excellence, looking at the arabesque, tour jete or rond de jambe. Or even the ol' sickle foot.

Bottom line: Ballroom dancing, like skiing, is a highly complex activity, involving lower body activity, kinetic chains, footwork, stance, etc. There is room on this forum for the geeks that take an interest in pronation, eversion etc., and room for the recreational skier who just wants to get down the hill more efficiently.

Although in recent memory we had the "how to snowplough" thread that quickly demonstrated that a simple task was actually fraught with technical obstables. wink

But as the OP points out, one should be careful to distinguish how-to-ski threads from how-skiing-works threads before whingeing. wink
latest report
veeeight,
Quote:

why can't everything be explained in two words or less.

The thing is that technical matters can be - and, in some notable cases on this forum, are - explained, if not in two words, then succinctly and without pomposity or condescension. It can be done. Not all recreational skiers and what you so winningly referred to on another thread as 'one piece heel pushers' are either stupid, or unwilling to learn, or uninterested in technique. Some of them, however, are unkeen on being talked down to, nor do they feel inclined to admire interminable and verbose arguments of the 'angels on pinheads' type.

One thing I do concede, however, is that those who don't feel compelled to improve their technique at all, and are just happy poddling along at their current level of expertise, shouldn't meddle in the technical threads, or scoff at the contributors.
snow conditions
Quote:

One thing I do concede, however, is that those who don't feel compelled to improve their technique at all, and are just happy poddling along at their current level of expertise, shouldn't meddle in the technical threads, or scoff at the contributors.

Hurtle, Here, Here!!
latest report
veeeight,
Quote:
What does become tiresome quickly is the whining from some quarters that it's all too complicated and difficult, and why can't everything be explained in two words or less.

I really hate to weigh in here, but as one who has complained recently - here I go. I think some of these discussions do become un-necessarily complicated and use jargon that is (perhaps) deliberately intended to confuse, confabulate or just plain get in the way. Skiing is indeed complex but not complicated. It need not be technical for technical's sake.

I don't want it in two words or less (an interesting idea?) but equally not in 1,000 words or more. Skiing is not the French Civil Service. Making things difficult to understand is not the object.

The ILE thread I found immensely difficult to follow - and I speak as someone who thinks he skis tolerably competently for an amateur (hopefully eveidence that I am an enthusiastic skier) and managed (once) to get a degree in (fairly) theoretical physics (so able to follow an at least mildly complicated argument).

However, the concepts were being couched in terms and sentence lengths that just made my eyes want to glaze over. It's really not that complicated! Really, really, it is not.

2 favourite irritations of mine:

Crossover vs. Crossunder - OK, whoever came up with this is a real piece of work. Surely whenever you have a crossover, something is being crossed under? and vice versa? How could this be anything other than confusing?

ILE vs OLR. Or whatever they are called.

These are, at best bad descriptions (in that they are completely ambiguous, to my mind).

errr, rantlet over Happy

To be positive, there is a huge body of knowledge contributing to the forums, let that continue. And let us not dumb down. At all. I found Fastman's ILE thread very interesting to begin with, I suspect that I use some variation of it sometimes, when I need to, but I need to play with the description while I have skis on my feet to be able to really say whether that's the case or not. It just seemed to go rapidly into a forest of jargon that I don't have time to decipher.
snow report
David Murdoch, I agree about the use of unexplained jargon - but that's where folks like me can always say - 'I didn't understand that bit, please explain'. To whit could you please explain 'crossover', 'crossunder' and what the unexplained acronyms ILE and OLR in your post above represent. At the moment I summise 'Inside leg extension' and 'outside leg retraction'. I was once told that in report writing you should qualify an acronym the first time you use it in a piece of writing.

OK, the above is a bit naughty given what you were trying to get at, but as you see its easy to fall into the very trap you were trying to explain. wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-11-07 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
There's lots in Bend Zee Knees I don't understand. Normally I ask for it to be explained or sit here patiently until it becomes clear. Can't say I've ever felt the need to berate other contributors for using technical shorthand, not least because the forum does not impose a 'clarity and brevity' test on our writing skills before we are allowed to sign up. Sometimes the jargon makes me feel a bit inadequate as a skier, but given how much I need to learn to become a good skier I guess that's not entirely a bad thing.
snow conditions
Megamum, you are very naughty. But seriously, what do the phrases "inside leg extension" and "outside leg retraction" really mean, viscerally, to you? They don't mean much to me... wink Nor do ILE vs OLR? Just knowing what the acronym represents doesn't help a great deal when the full phrase makes no contextual sense either.

Which I suppose is the point of language. It is a shared medium. And much of what I see crossing over from some other forums is a lack of shared language. Should we care? Not up to me to decide...

rob@rar, but my point is compare and contract Easiski's contributions compared to some other contributions. And (in case you were making a specific point in answer to mine,) veeeight, specifically complains about "some quarters" asking for simple explanations. I see nothing wrong with that. Skiing need not be over-complicated, it is difficult enough. The best teachers I have had have made it all so wonderfully simple... wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-11-07 23:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
David Murdoch, Exactly (including the positive bits)! Except that I don't have a degree in theoretical physics, so I am particularly interested to see that someone who does have such a degree feels the same way I do.

...but I think your post was quite a bit longer than mine!! wink wink
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
rob@rar, but my point is compare and contract Easiski's contributions compared to some other contributions. And (in case you were making a specific point in answer to mine,) veeeight, specifically complains about "some quarters" asking for simple explanations. I see nothing wrong with that. Skiing need not be over-complicated, it is difficult enough. The best teachers I have had have made it all so wonderfully simple... wink

Yes, yes, YES!!!
snow report
David Murdoch, and, quite rightly, easiski has a good following because of it. But does that mean other people shouldn't contribute because they don't write as well as easiski or fastman? If there's stuff that either I don't understand or isn't relevant to my skiing because I'm not at the level where I can put that theory into practice I will either gloss over it or try to follow it out of academic interest. Because it's not relevant for me doesn't mean that it should be criticised for being too complex/too high level.

I don't see that there is a problem of people asking for simple explanations. When that happens I see a good number of people doing their best to provide a simple answer. What I do see is a problem is criticism being aimed at people who are well versed in the technical shorthand and use it to have a discussion, but being criticised by others who are not so well versed in that technical shorthand.

I think you might be confusing technical discussion with how skiing works with how it should be taught. I agree that the best teachers make it simple, and I think on several occasions those contributors here who get into the minutia of technique have all acknowledged that point.
ski holidays
There is a time for simple and a time for more complicated. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong. Some prefer one way, some prefer another, and some are prepared to take both and all the rest in-between. How about a bit more tolerance around here of people who are wired differently?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
How about a bit more tolerance around here of people who are wired differently?

I agree, that would be nice.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, In actual fact they were two terms I didn't struggle with the first time I saw them written in that thread. I had recently watched some video footage and penny was dropping about how the lower part of the body almost falls away from the upper part of the body in the turn. I could see the concept of legs extending and retracting in my minds eye and, for me at least, those particular two terms made perfect sense. Sorry, but you picked an item that just happened to work for me.
latest report
Hurtle, to answer your earlier statement, some people find Gordon Ramsey an inspiration. Some find him patronising and obnoxious. The same can be said for Marco Pierre White. Some think that Craig Revel Horwood's comments are patronising and hurtful, others think that they are factual.

As a diner you can choose which restaurant go wish to go into, and thus which chef you want preparing your meal. You pays your money and takes your choice. If you don't like that particular chef/restaurant, don't go there.

Conversely a chef can eject a diner who he/she doesn't want in their restaurant.

However it is extremely bad form to go in to a restaurant and loudly proclaim that that same dish could have been prepared in half the time using less ingredients by a.n.other chef that you know.

David Murdoch, I can sorta see what you are getting at, but the truth is still that how-to-ski threads can and should be kept simple, whilst there is much more scope to get techy in how-skiing-works threads. If it is a how-to-ski thread I have absolutely no problems in asking for things to be kept simple. As for crossover and crossunder, yes, they are two very disctint transitions. Perhaps you know them as extension and retraction turns?

There also seems to be some confusion that the techy type threads are supposed to be "teaching to all" threads (which they mostly ain't) - so why should these threads be in the same vein as if an instructor were teaching on the hill? It isn't meant to be a skiing lesson!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-11-07 23:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar, I agree (working up your post rather than down). Yes, I think there is (or if there isn't we have a problem) consensus that good teachers are able to distill complexity into apparent and practicable simplicity.

I think your point above that hits the nail on the head. I see shorthand that is not universally understood being used. That to me is jargon. I also see shorthand and methods that (appear) to be not universally agreed upon being used. That to me is dogma. (we don't see that so much round here but it's apparent elsewhere).

It disturbs me that I can have reasonably high level technical discussions with experienced professionals (guides, moniteurs, etc.) and yet can't always (often can't) understand what is going on here. What I often don't see are "simple answers" (when simple answers, IMHO, exist...)
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

What I do see is a problem is criticism being aimed at people who are well versed in the technical shorthand and use it to have a discussion, but being criticised by others who are not so well versed in that technical shorthand.

The only time that I have got embroiled in such a discussion was when I expressed astonishment at the way in which an argument was being conducted between some of the technical experts. It was, as I say, the stuff of angels on pinheads, as well as being jammed to the gunwhales with jargon and, as such, pretty unedifying. In my view, there was nothing wrong in daring to criticise it. But then a large part of my working life was spent in having to understand technical concepts - sometimes way outside my own area of expertise and comfort zone - and turn them into legally watertight language. Again, it can be done.
snow report
I am generally against trying the re-invent/rename the skiing wheel and trying over hard to impress people in these threads
Just as you can pull up someone for the former, you can do so in the latter.

If it is interesting and going somewhere, then fine but maybe these threads lost their market pretty quickly. Maybe some don't

Meat and poison, but mostly we just like talking about it. But, I reckon everyone is capable of talking out of their backsides at times... Not many posters here who aren't, IMV.

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
It disturbs me that I can have reasonably high level technical discussions with experienced professionals (guides, moniteurs, etc.) and yet can't always (often can't) understand what is going on here. What I often don't see are "simple answers" (when simple answers, IMHO, exist...)

Maybe ignoring it because you are confident it's people engaging in BS would be a good approach? Alternatively, if you aren't confident that you know better you could ask a few simple questions and hope that a simple discussion follows. But criticising people for contributing to the forum in a way you don't approve of just seems churlish to me.
latest report
veeeight, The logical conclusion of what you say is that you are immune from criticism. Sorry, but I disagree, I don't think anyone on here is immune. This forum is not, to use your own analogy, your restaurant.
snow report
Hurtle, I didn't come to that conclusion, and have no idea how you did.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
veeeight,
Quote:

why can't everything be explained in two words or less.

The thing is that technical matters can be - and, in some notable cases on this forum, are - explained, if not in two words, then succinctly and without pomposity or condescension. It can be done. Not all recreational skiers and what you so winningly referred to on another thread as 'one piece heel pushers' are either stupid, or unwilling to learn, or uninterested in technique. Some of them, however, are unkeen on being talked down to, nor do they feel inclined to admire interminable and verbose arguments of the 'angels on pinheads' type.

But Hurtle you were the very first person to post on this thread agreeing that there is a place for discussions on how skiing works as opposed to how to teach skiing. Go back to the first page and read my opening post!!! Get off your high horse, are the detailed technical discussions really laden with "pomposity or condescension" just who is being "talked down to". Megamum and newskier have just said how well learners are treated here. Why do you always read such negatives into techy discussions?

Your campaign for "plain english" is getting tedious, not everyone who posts here are trained wordsmiths. We aren't all journalists, writers, editors or lawyers who are trained to write compactly and succinctly. I admire those who can but don't bash those who aren't able. I find that the journo's here are the most scathing of others and the biggest show off's and put down artists, not the coaches and instructors.

Also while i am ranting, the constant whine of "but easiski explains so i can understand it, why dont you just all talk like her" from you is getting old as well.... She has decades more experience than most here. You should just PM easiski with all your instruction or technical questions as she seems to be the only one who can answer you in terms you like or understand.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
The only time that I have got embroiled in such a discussion was when I expressed astonishment at the way in which an argument was being conducted between some of the technical experts. It was, as I say, the stuff of angels on pinheads, as well as being jammed to the gunwhales with jargon and, as such, pretty unedifying. In my view, there was nothing wrong in daring to criticise it. But then a large part of my working life was spent in having to understand technical concepts - sometimes way outside my own area of expertise and comfort zone - and turn them into legally watertight language. Again, it can be done.

If there were a couple people in a bar having an unnecessarily complex argument would you tap them on the shoulder and ask them to work a bit harder at simplifying their language and concepts?

Surely the best approach to take with threads that are full of BS or jargon designed to keep others out of the secret garden is just to ignore it altogether? If there is something that you would like to discuss just start another thread on your own terms.
snow conditions
I would think talking about how to ski and how skiing works on the internet is an entirely different beast to a lesson on a mountain. It must almost boil down to the picture painting a thousand words. An instructor on a mountain can say - 'watch while I show you, and keep an eye on what my outside leg does this time' - How on earth do you go about painting that picture in writing without recourse to some terms that, depending on the level you happen to be in your profession, you might assume are already understood.

It no different for any subject - dancing as used as an example above, driving, playing a musical instrument, riding a horse, even cooking -try to explain folding in the flour to someone in writing that has never done it before. Such demonstrations are the subject matter of technical writing courses., and sometimes teamworking demonstrations You might not realise it because I write as I 'think' here, but I've done several of these courses. One favourite example is get the students to come up with instructions to change a tyre - the exercise is usually done to demonstrate how a team works better than a individual, but its interesting to see how many instructions it actually takes and even then mostly the instructions assume knowledge of what things such as wrench, chocks, gloves, handbrake etc. actually are.

Maybe we need a glossary thread for technical terms so that when terms are discussed or used an explanation in more simple terms could be added to the glossary and an appropriate link made from the more technical thread? Of course this would assume that everyone could agree on the explanations in the glossary wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy