Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski, versus how skiing works...

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I would think talking about how to ski and how skiing works on the internet is an entirely different beast to a lesson on a mountain.

Hurrah!

Another lightbulb moment!!!!!! Laughing

Amazing though, how some folk think and expect those two things to be one!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of snowHeads talk a good game.

There are quite a few snowHeads that I've been genuinely impressed by when I've skied with them, or have had instruction from them.

The venn diagram of these two sets would be interesting.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know about persecuted pedant, but persecuted is right. Time to lighten up and be glad that it is snowing..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I would think talking about how to ski and how skiing works on the internet is an entirely different beast to a lesson on a mountain.

agreed fully, Hence the thread

Quote:

Maybe we need a glossary thread for technical terms so that when terms are discussed or used an explanation in more simple terms could be added to the glossary and an appropriate link made from the more technical thread

excellent suggestion, could we persuade a moderator to creat a WIKI or sticky on the BZK's section..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,
Quote:

If there were a couple people in a bar having an unnecessarily complex argument would you tap them on the shoulder and ask them to work a bit harder at simplifying their language and concepts?

Again, an inappropriate analogy. But if you wish to pursue that analogy, the context was more like a bar where a whole load of people were having a discussion, two or three of whom, but not all, were talking gobbledegook. In that instance, I would certainly feel justified in voicing criticism of the gobbledegook.

If I see threads which do look like exclusive technical arguments between geeks, then I do indeed leave them alone, except - as I did in the ILE thread - to ask for some slight clarification if I am, in fact, quietly following the thread, and trying to get something out of it for my own skiing technique. Which request for clarification was, incidentally, met with gratuitous rudeness.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, I think there already is a Wiki on here somewhere!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,
Only if these terms are universally accepted or then you might be getting into a US/Europe can of worms...

It might be funny though...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, I do recall finding it once too!! Have been and looked, but can't remember what I was up to the day I tripped into it. If I find it I'll come back here.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-11-07 0:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret,
Quote:

she seems to be the only one who can answer you in terms you like or understand.

Provably not so, in fact.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,
Quote:

there is a place for discussions on how skiing works as opposed to how to teach skiing

Indeed. I have not changed my mind on that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, who are you to judge that it is an inappropriate analogy? From what I see the analogy of the pub, or apres ski bar, is the one which is most often used to describe this forum.

I condemn any gratuitous rudeness around here, especially if it is in response to a genuine request for information or help. But I do note that your request for clarification did follow on immediately from this
Quote:
Because she's wonderful and clear-headed - and, most importantly, doesn't get off on the sound/look of her own prose.
referring to easiski. Is it any wonder that you request was ignored (if that is what you are describing as rudeness).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
skimottaret, I think there already is a Wiki on here somewhere!

There is but very hard to find, i actually bothered to upload some info once but it never gets looked at.... A stciky might be better but then as JT says it would be a bun fight over the definitions.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Krispy Kreme, or Eccles cake?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

you request was ignored (if that is what you are describing as rudeness).

No, it wasn't.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:

there is a place for discussions on how skiing works as opposed to how to teach skiing

Indeed. I have not changed my mind on that.

Please remember that when you are making such critical remarks of people who are trying to learn how skiing works.....

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-11-07 0:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

you request was ignored (if that is what you are describing as rudeness).

No, it wasn't.

OK. Perhaps if you hadn't got your retaliation in first your question might have elicited a more helpful response.
snow conditions
veeeight, didn't Two Tonne Ted find stale pork pies very effective!! Sorry, off topic but I'm trying to lighten the mood a little.
ski holidays
Megamum, poor Ernie.
latest report
Megamum, thanks for trying to lighten the mood, but this discussion has descended into an arguement just like all the technical how to ski discussions do, ...... have a re read of the opening post and see if any names fit the profile.....
latest report
rob@rar,
Quote:

who are you to judge that it is an inappropriate analogy? From what I see the analogy of the pub, or apres ski bar, is the one which is most often used to describe this forum.

The inappropriateness I was referring to was tapping the shoulders of two people having a quiet/private conversation. That does happen in a bar, but doesn't happen here.
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

critical remarks of people who are trying to learn how skiing works.....

No, I would not - at least not intentionally - criticise anyone who was trying to learn.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

who are you to judge that it is an inappropriate analogy? From what I see the analogy of the pub, or apres ski bar, is the one which is most often used to describe this forum.

The inappropriateness I was referring to was tapping the shoulders of two people having a quiet/private conversation. That does happen in a bar, but doesn't happen here.

So every thread has to take into account the level of interest/understanding/expertise of all 8,000+ members of snowHeads, just in case they are lurking and possibly might want to join in?
ski holidays
Megamum,

I wouldn't worry, Hurtle is more than capable of holding her own....it will lighten up soon. or we will all go to bed...
latest report
Hurtle, i take that to mean with learn in italics that you feel that i am not actually here to learn and have some other motivation.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-11-07 0:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JT wrote:
...it will lighten up soon. or we will all go to bed...

Sorry mate, you're just not my type.
snow report
I have to say that IMV a lot of these discussions descend into willy waving.
snow report
JT, wink

rob@rar,
Quote:

So every thread has to take into account the level of interest/understanding/expertise of all 8,000+ members of snowHeads, just in case they are lurking and possibly might want to join in?

No, indeed not. As I said above, I would generally steer clear of a technical conversation that was being pursued exclusively between experts. But that wasn't happening in the thread in question, and doesn't seem to happen at all often anyway.
snow conditions
Kramer, Erm, haven't actually got one. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must be a strap on then.
ski holidays
Hurtle, I know, and it wasn't you I was referring to.
snow report
veeeight, congratulations on 2000 posts! Some challenging the establishment, some relevant, some irrelevant. You may get a lot of abuse here, but I appreciate your slant on things. snowHead
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

i take that to mean with learn in italics that you feel that i am not actually here to learn and have some other motivation.

My remark was not directed at you personally. I was merely saying that I would not intentionally criticise anyone who was trying to learn - as opposed to someone who appeared to be preaching or, as Kramer has just so graphically put it, waving his willy.
snow conditions
Foxy, snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 14-11-07 0:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
I would generally steer clear of a technical conversation that was being pursued exclusively between experts. But that wasn't happening in the thread in question, and doesn't seem to happen at all often anyway.

I don't think it matters whether the participants are 'experts' or not. If they are happy to continue a discussion using a particular style of language and way of describing skiing what is the problem? If you or I wanted to have a different type of discussion surely starting our own thread or asking our own questions is a much better than criticising other people's style of discourse? It just puts people's backs up and makes then overly defensive or rude.
ski holidays
Ah c'mon....some good gags in there...!!! must have got one or two laughs
ski holidays
Hurtle, exactly who are you referring to?
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
My remark was not directed at you personally. I was merely saying that I would not intentionally criticise anyone who was trying to learn - as opposed to someone who appeared to be preaching or, as Kramer has just so graphically put it, waving his willy.

Have you been appointed Willy Waving Police for the Bend Zee Knees section?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 14-11-07 0:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Early start tomorrow, inspection of a psychiatric ICU. So, on the way from one madhouse to another, I'm off to bed now. Pax, guys?
snow report
Hurtle, say hello to the Dawn Chorus when you're there.
snow conditions
Restaurant kitchens are extremely hot at times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy