Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you always wear your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Kitty, and the best bit was we had spent three weeks in the same hospital with my daughter who broke her leg and she just went back to school after 10 weeks the day before i crashed....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i wear a full face helmet now http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Snow.aspx?id=4ef12ade-1213-4675-8ee8-fb5e0c36de59&product=250b7622-f54d-49c8-94ad-b90796a0d62e

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-11-07 20:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, St Bernard of Menthon is the patron saint of skiers. I just googled it.

A rabbit's foot, four leaf clover and St Christopher medal should also be part of your kit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
skimottaret, St Bernard of Menthon is the patron saint of skiers. I just googled it.

A rabbit's foot, four leaf clover and St Christopher medal should also be part of your kit.

Or you could order your milk from a milkman and avoid having to get on your bike in the first place. Lethal things, bikes...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret,
Oh dear, I would be in serious trouble in that scenario. Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never go out without my helmet, I reckon I would have brain damage by now if I hadn't worn it - I suppose people who don't wear one already have no brains, so don't think they need it.

Wear your helmet and gain some respect... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
innerspaceservices wrote:
I never go out without my helmet, I reckon I would have brain damage by now if I hadn't worn it - I suppose people who don't wear one already have no brains, so don't think they need it.

Wear your helmet and gain some respect... Toofy Grin

Or some people have so little brain to start with they need to protect it more than others. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Kitty, there you go - you've had your three, so you're safe.

Until the next trio starts...

What if the triplet groups of accidents also come in threes?
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I suppose people who don't wear one already have no brains,

My mother would agree with you on that one, she always said I had no brain. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always wear my helmet. Why would I give a sh** if it's uncool? I'm not going to risk my life cause it's not in fashion rolling eyes

Surely after the second time you got knocked out you thought to yourself "wow I'm retarded, I really should wear a helmet" ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, the perennial helmet debate, but wait! Is there a new option to be considered? d3o! Ribcap! Soft wearable but protective headgear anyone?

The main (only) reason I don't wear a helmet skiing is that it's yet another piece of cumbersome cr@p to carry around/pack/lose. But a nice soft warm hat, that will instantly turn to steel upon impact with tree/rock/snowboarder sounds like a perfect solution Toofy Grin

OK fire away.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, great thread.
I always wear my helmet, what ever skiing I intend to do.
It is collision with solid objects that does the most damage, and there are more of those on-piste than off.
Buildings, posts, piste bashers have all been hit.
In time everyone will wear helmets. All the time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i bought one of the red padded wooly hats on the basis that it is better than nothing - i can never find helmets that fit me. it's very comfortable. i think it's probably a bit like wearing a scrum cap in terms of protection. should be ok for some bumps and bangs, but a helmet would definitely offer better protection.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, you may wish to consider opening your eyes while skiing. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, One of the new d3o Beanies might fit the bill for you.
ski holidays
I always wear my helmet skiing- even though it's probably the largest one you'll ever see and therefore probably not very cool-looking (but despite this, is not big enough for Arno - how's the quest going BTW Arno? - it's comfortable, and I don't think that it stops me hearing or seeing anything that I need to.
snow report
Quote:
Why do you rarely if ever see an instructor wearing one?

Not the case in North America and Canada.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:

Surely after the second time you got knocked out you thought to yourself "wow I'm retarded, I really should wear a helmet" ?

your right, i went out and bought one, the thing is i dont always wear it when i think i am just cruising on "easy" pistes or it is too hot, or I'm just popping to the shop to get milk.

I recon most accidents happen on the easy bits or you are hit by someone else.....
snow conditions
veeeight, Good to know in NA the instructors wear helmets, In the Three Valleys I dont think i have ever seen one wearing a helmet....
snow report
Last season is the first one in which I wore a helmet all the time - even on the stiflingly hot days. Slopes are getting more crowded, users still at a novice stage w.r.t. mountain usage are getting faster. I feel safer off piste.
snow conditions
skier88 wrote:
I feel safer off piste.
Very Happy
snow report
Whole family always wear helmets.
Last season I would say 20% of skiers in Verbier were wearing them, so not at all unusual.
ski holidays
Now that I have one that fits, I wear it all the time. I had the same problem as arno, difficulty finding one to fit. It's a giro 9 XXL (or may even be XXXL), which I managed to find in Whistler, the only place that had a decent range of extra large helmets.

I'm still not convinced how much safer it actually makes me though.
snow report
A seasonaire I ski with is an ex dentist and he wears a gum shield as well as a helmet...
ski holidays
Yeah, good to see helmets becoming more popular. I bought one in 99 after a little bump on the head, and had split it in half within half an hour crashing into as piste marker. Greatly amused the guy in the ski-shop when i took it back and bought another one the same afternoon. Have worn one ever since, whatever the conditions. I recently bought a Burton Red Skycap XL, and it's so light and comfortable that i really don't notice i'm wearing it. Keep spreading the helmet love. (is that a euphamism..? Shocked )
snow report
As I normally carry a backpack (for shovel, probe and skins) which pushes me slightly forward the helmet protects me from the headbangers on the lift.
latest report
Since smashing my skull many years ago as a 16yr old racer when my ski bounced off my head i have been a firm beleiver in wearing a helmet. I advise friends and clients also to wear helmets.
All i have to do is flick my hair apart at the back and they can see a massive scar that starts at the back on my neck and goes 5 inches upwards and they are then convinced. The things i've put up with since my accident really are worth wearing a helmet to prevent
snow report
I keep hearing "on the hot days i don't wear one.." :/ Unzip your jacket perhaps? Anyhow, I usually leave the helmet unstrapped when I'm cruising and strap it in when I'm doing jumps or going off-piste as the straps a bit too short :/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it depends how cautious you are or how much you like head injuries - concussion, fractures, coma....

I got a helmet last March an have had it on every day skiing since although I have a cycle helmet and althought cycle most days only rarely wear it.
ski holidays
I like the sound of this thread - at least it sounds like I'm not going to be the odd one out if I wear mine in VT next April Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

although I have a cycle helmet and althought cycle most days only rarely wear it.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
After they introduced compulsory cycle helmet wearing in Australia, in an individual incident the prospects for the victim were better but the number of serious injuries and deaths overall did not go down year on year.
There was a lot of speculation on why this happened, and two factors were identified; cyclists in helmets were more reckless, and drivers were not as cautious passing cyclists wearing helmets.
Apparently, while the survivability of an accident was improved the total number of accidents went up.
snow conditions
Timmaah wrote:
...I usually leave the helmet unstrapped when I'm cruising and strap it in when I'm doing jumps or going off-piste as the straps a bit too short :/

I suspect it's pretty much assured that it'd fall off if you fell, so you might just as well not be wearing it when cruising! Get one with longer straps! wink
ski holidays
Similar finding in auto accidents. Since the intrudution of airbags and anti-lock breaks, drivers are more reckless. Therefore, as the survivability in an accident went up, the number of accidents also went up. The end result is the number of death stay about same.

Statistically, if one wants to live a long life, one should:
- fly (or take a train) to the slopes,
- wear a helmet,
- go off-piste!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
abc, so the best way to reduce the accident rate would be to require car manufacturers to install a foot-long spike in the middle of evey steering wheel. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, classic quote, courtesy of Clarkson! Very Happy
latest report
skier88, really? Good grief, how very unfortunate - remind me never to repeat it.
latest report
AxsMan wrote:
Ah, the perennial helmet debate, but wait! Is there a new option to be considered? d3o! Ribcap! Soft wearable but protective headgear anyone?

The main (only) reason I don't wear a helmet skiing is that it's yet another piece of cumbersome cr@p to carry around/pack/lose. But a nice soft warm hat, that will instantly turn to steel upon impact with tree/rock/snowboarder sounds like a perfect solution Toofy Grin

OK fire away.....

Carry them on your head?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
abc, so the best way to reduce the accident rate would be to require car manufacturers to install a foot-long spike in the middle of evey steering wheel. Laughing

It has been suggested. Very Happy

Note though, it would NOT reduce the DEATH rate.
snow conditions
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
...I usually leave the helmet unstrapped when I'm cruising and strap it in when I'm doing jumps or going off-piste as the straps a bit too short :/

I suspect it's pretty much assured that it'd fall off if you fell, so you might just as well not be wearing it when cruising! Get one with longer straps! wink

You do realize you can tighten helmets in other ways right? Wink I'm hardly going to be trying to pull off a back-flip on a red piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy