Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you always wear your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been knocked out three times now without a helmet on and once with a helmet on (saved my life).

Twice i have been ko'd on very simple ski runs at the end of the day. Yet, I typically only wear my helmet for off piste skiing or when going near rocky areas.

If you own a helmet do you ALWAYS wear it? Why is it still kinda uncool to wear a helmet? Why do you rarely if ever see an instructor wearing one?

Saturday without a helmet on and 15 stitches later....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear one if I am intending to ski in trees or if its sleeting. Its a personal thing but I do feel I lose a lot of awareness with one on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Why do you rarely if ever see an instructor wearing one?

Because they're travelling at two miles and hour followed by some nervous old biddy doing a huge snowplough.

May be you should ski a bit more carefully. Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-11-07 16:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear mine all the time because it keeps my ears toasty warm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
If you own a helmet do you ALWAYS wear it?

Nope.

Only when skiing or cycling.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Nope.

Haha! I just bought ah elmet last season, fully intend to wear it for my 3 motnhs away this year, plus it has speakers in the earpads which is great! In Banff quite a few instructors wear helmets....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, That looks painful! Did that happen on dry slope or snow? I always wear one on the dry slope except when instructing beginners. After seeing the damage caused to one of our instructors (a good skier) last year. She sliced her scalp open and was unconscious for at least 30 mins and has still not fully recovered. She nearlly always used a helmet but because it was warm just that once..........................
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rossfra8, I`ll be teaching in BC this winter.. we could have a snowhead meet up if either of us roadtrip on the other ones turf.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only times I don't wear my helmet are if I'm on the nursary slopes or if it's stiflingly hot.

skimottaret, I hope that's not Mrsskimottaret! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrtoastie Im doin my instructors cousre but if you were headin over to Banff that would be ace catch a few fly ones! Shame your from Edinburgh mate but we cant all be great! Hail Hail snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 8-11-07 16:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:

Maybe they are the most respected sliders on the mountain so other sliders do their out of control stuff a safe distance away.

skimottaret, Do you remember how you were ko'ed 3 times when not wearing a helmet? Did you see it coming each time but couldn't avoid it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
I have been knocked out three times now without a helmet on and once with a helmet on (saved my life).

Twice i have been ko'd on very simple ski runs at the end of the day. Yet, I typically only wear my helmet for off piste skiing or when going near rocky areas.

If you own a helmet do you ALWAYS wear it? Why is it still kinda uncool to wear a helmet? Why do you rarely if ever see an instructor wearing one?

Saturday without a helmet on and 15 stitches later....

I always wear mine, cooler than stiches in the head!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dunno, I don't think it's uncool to wear a helmet. I like mine and always wear it. I carry a beanie in my pocket to cover the HAIR HORROR at lunch though.

I used to just wear it when planning on more dangerous stuff but a- that often gets done with no prior planning and b- like you say, it's often the simple stuff that catches you out. Last time I got a whack to the head it was an out-of-control beginner on the last run home. No harm done to anyone but it would have been very nasty without the lid.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 8-11-07 16:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helmets are more and more common now than what they used to be. It's not seen as uncool to wear one these days. Some ski schools encourage their instructors to wear helmets and even provide them, to be worn for higher level lessons, others aren't bothered. I wear mine pretty much all the time apart from when on the nursery slope.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevinrhead wrote:
skimottaret She nearlly always used a helmet but because it was warm just that once..........................

snap, this last time was on my push bike and i didnt put my helmet on as it was all sweaty from skiing on plastic all day with it on. First time in years i didnt wear it when cycling....

PisteHead, once in a big bump field lost control and smacked into the side of an icy bump, the other time skiing down through some trees and hit a ledge that had been all cut up by borders, a ski released and i went head first down onto a green piste in a heap.... last time cycling home at night after getting milk, hit a pot hole or something that i didnt see and went over the handle bars.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Nope.

Laughing Laughing
latest report
skimottaret, I see, when you said you were ko'ed on very simple slopes at the end of the day I thought you were wiped out by the mad rush down the slopes.
snow conditions
Mountainbiking - always wear a helmet, when I used to race (badly) it was compulsory so I got in the habit and now feel naked without.
Road biking - after getting used to it for mountainbiking I now always wear a helmet.
Skiing - didn't to start with as I didn't have one, once I got one it was easy to wear it every time - and as at the local dry slope they are compulsory in the funpark most people wear them.
Rock climbing / Mountaineering - been doing these since before helmets became popular, and still make a judgement each time, so wear one about half the time.

Interestingly I find the helmet affects my spacial awareness climbing, but not skiing or biking!
snow conditions
Since I got mine two seasons ago never skiied without it and never would, bit like wearing a seat belt in the car, couldn't imagine not doing it now, even in the back.

The increase in helmets seen on the piste over recent years is quite substantial. I don't think this is all down to safety consciousness, I think they are becoming cooler too. It's a lot more practical to look hardcore in the lift queue with a helmet on than carrying a shovel and avalung!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:

I wear my helmet whenever I'm skiing on snow -whether free-skiing or teaching - except late in the season if it's *really* warm (like t-shirt weather). But it is an oldish helmet with little ventilation - a newer one I'd probably wear then as well.

When I first started to do this in Europe about 4-5 years ago, I got a few odd looks - but now there is rarely a second glance. In many resorts in North America, helmets are the norm and some ski-schools have a rule that instructors wear helmets - especially when teaching kids.
ski holidays
Quote:

Last year I had to help a novice down a heavily mogulled red run, where she was really struggling (I'm no instructor, nor even a particularly good skier!), and as someone who has often coached people in other skills, it was immediately apparent that wearing a helmet and goggles made it very difficult to communicate effectively - to give encouragement it much easier the more of your face is visible!
snow report
I'm pretty certain that all the instructors in our resort put on their helmets when instructing - particularly when teaching the children - sets a good example I think. I've always worn mine since I've had it - I find it helps confidence and does a better job than a standard shaped beany hat at keeping the bottom of my ears warm and toasty. I'm now thinking of getting an orange one!!
ski holidays
Always were a helmet for skiing, when out on a bike (both pedal and motor) and when climbing outside (not when in doors at the wall).

Took a little while to get used to them for skiing and climbing but now, seem to forget they are there. The only downside is that I seem to pick up more minor knocks from chair lifts and in tight spots climbing rock etc. probably as my head is bigger when covered in hard plastic wink
ski holidays
always wear my helmet now. My friend's girl friend had a really bad accident in Flaine last year with a bad head injury. She has only now got back to work full time after months off
snow conditions
Started wearing last year for first time and now would not ski without. Thought it would be a bit uncomfortable at first but did not notice after a few minutes. snowHead
snow report
I always wear a helmet when skiing. I suffered concussion, not wearing a helmet, whilst skiing, some years back.

snowHead
snow conditions
Ouch! Hope that doesn't hurt as bad as it looks.

I don't always wear a helmet when skiing. If I know that I'm going to be taking it very easy, especially if the weather is very hot, I might go without, but I'm doing that less and less these days.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

If I know that I'm going to be taking it very easy, especially if the weather is very hot, I might go without,

It's not always what you are doing on the piste but what others do. One or two people I know have been taken out whilst stationary or moving slowly by out of control skiers/boarders. if they hadn't been wearing helmets they would undoubtedly have sustained worse injuries than they did.
I agree it is very tempting when the weather is hot to dispense with the helmet but to me it's just tempting fate.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

Quite a lot of instructors in North America wear them.
snow conditions
Kitty wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

If I know that I'm going to be taking it very easy, especially if the weather is very hot, I might go without,

It's not always what you are doing on the piste but what others do. One or two people I know have been taken out whilst stationary or moving slowly by out of control skiers/boarders. if they hadn't been wearing helmets they would undoubtedly have sustained worse injuries than they did.
I agree it is very tempting when the weather is hot to dispense with the helmet but to me it's just tempting fate.

Yes, I do think about that. If it's busy I'm more likely to wear one, but as with everything it's a risk assessment and sometimes I feel happy to go without.
latest report
No ski helmet, but my wife refuses to let me on the bike without wearing my helmet. Gone are my bachelor days when I was stopped by the police on several occasions for not wearing a m/ bike helmet. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
rob@rar, And as you know I don't wear a helmet at the dry slope-could wind up looking like skimottaret if my run of bad luck holds rolling eyes
snow conditions
T Bar, wasnt sure what was worse waking up wth my skull showing (according to the paramedics) or my wifes look when she got me in hospital when collecting my belongings and not finding a helmet amoungst them... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Kitty wrote:
rob@rar, And as you know I don't wear a helmet at the dry slope-could wind up looking like skimottaret if my run of bad luck holds rolling eyes

They say accidents come in threes. How many have you had... Wink
latest report
Well, might as well add a note of controversy. I never wear my helmet while skiing, nor have I done so for the past 20 years. Bizarrely, I am not dead, and neither do I look like skimottaret. Shocked
latest report
Lizzard, why is that controversial?
snow report
Lizzard, yet
snow conditions
skimottaret, You are going to be in Soooo much trouble for ages Toofy Grin If you dare moan about your injuries I can just imagine what the response will be Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, Fell in Tignes-still have lump and large bruise on leg and gammy arm/shoulder, then had minor op yesterday-8 stitches in already dodgy arm. Also, hurt my knee whilst attempting to snowboard on dendix in the summer-it's just about better now so does that count? Embarassed
latest report
Kitty, there you go - you've had your three, so you're safe.

Until the next trio starts...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy