Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd second that re the road to Steamboat - quite unnerving driving along in your hire car as massive US 4x4s pirouette towards you.

On the altitude question I add nothing new except advising you to consider staying off the booze completely – if you get a chunky hangover at Breck altitude you feel like you’ve been in a train crash (at least I did).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother wrote:
Triple B, I have spent a day in Denver - don't bother.

Over the years I have spent quite a few weeks in Denver. You have to know where to go & its not all downtown.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you do not have to go over berthoud pass.

you can drive to steamboat via silverthorne on highway 9.

having said that the road over berthoud pass is wide and very well maintaintained in terms of avy work and snow plows........oops i mean ploughs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernsoulboy,

If transfer time from the airport is an issue, then the Utah resorts are probably the shortest of all. You might not be able to get a direct flight from civilisation (oop north) though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i heard somewhere that 1/2 an aspirin a day for a couple of weeks before you go thins the blood a bit and makes the transition to altitude easier. not sure where this came from, i've a memory like a goldfish. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg, It's rubbish - all the aspirin does is inhibit platelet aggregation and get rid of teeny weeny headaches. The only really proven preventative medication for altitude effects is Acetazolmide, and that has so many side effects, I wouldn't recommend anyone who wasn't going to sleep above 4000m bothering.

stanton, but would you choose a day in Denver over a day on the snow?
snow report
 Darky
Darky
Hmm, I think if you want to thin the blood, take a Garlic everyday (get some 1 a day capsules). And it's more natural and safe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Darky wrote:
Hmm, I think if you want to thin the blood, take a Garlic everyday (get some 1 a day capsules). And it's more natural and safe.

folks, don't get bog-faced on plane over, drink buckets of water when you get there, and expect to be a bit out of breathe for a few days.

It's not rocket science wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rogg wrote:
i heard somewhere that 1/2 an aspirin a day for a couple of weeks before you go thins the blood a bit and makes the transition to altitude easier. not sure where this came from, i've a memory like a goldfish. Laughing

Where does this business of "thinning the blood" come from? It doesn't seem to make sense. The problem with altitude is not enough oxygen. So if anything, you need MORE blood, not less, to get enough oxygen into the brain... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thinner blood = Higher blood pressure = more oxygen being diffused into blood? I'm guessin that's the rationale behind it, if it's true is another thing.. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon altitude only really becomes an issue above 3000m (and really 3500m). Drink loads of water for the first couple of days. You may not sleep that well for the first couple of nights but beyond that you should be fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having just returned from my fifth Himalayan trek I would say that altitude problems can begin for most people at about 8,000 feet or say 2,500 metres.

Because the air is less dense at altitude the body adjusts by producing more red corpuscles to extract the maximum amount of oxygen available. This thickens the blood.

Alcohol thins the blood which is exactly the opposite of what you want to happen and also increases dehydration. It is essential to keep well hydrated.

The simple test as to whether or not you are well hydrated is when you take a pee. It should be "clear and copious". If it is a darker colour and there is not much of it, you are not properly hydrated and should drink more water.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy