Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Recently booked some flights to Colorado for next March and trying to work out where to go. Looking at Copper, Breckenridge or Keystone I think. Anyway, I knew they were all high but blimey I didn't stop to really consider how high! Never stayed higher than Tignes before (2100m) and the resorts in these places are all around the 2800m mark.

Can someone please reassure me that not everyone who skies there ends up with nosebleeds and two-week headaches? Shocked Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northernsoulboy,

IME, lodging that high means that you wil take a few days to recover...you will likely have a couple of sleepless nights but no major issues for most people. Hope you are going for longer than 7 days. Drink plenty of water and avoid too much beer as this tends to compound the issues. Not that you can get drunk on the gnats they call beer there, but.............

Nosebleeds...???? you will probably feel a bit heady for a few days...and have a sortness of breath possibly. The skiing tops out at 12,000 ft plus in some places and you WILL feel that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northernsoulboy, Take it easy (i.e. don't run anywhere) for the first few days, and you should be fine. There were certainly places in Breck that had oxygen available (can't remember where tho). For good skiing (you need to like steeps wink ) go to A-basin
much nicer than Breck...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernsoulboy, Breckenridge @ 9600' gives me a 2 day headache which I've learnt to cure with Tylenol Extra Strength and by drinking my body mass in water. Sleeplessness, jet lag, parrot-cage mouth and let's not forget the hacking dry cough and loss of voice (an improvement some would say). It's just that little bit too high and dry for me now I come to think about it. I doubt you'll get nosebleeds but the headache is a real possibility and some people get tooth ache. enjoy!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suffered no problems in Breck last year apart from a dry mouth. Just drink lots of water.

Pre-empted any headaches with ibuprofen as that helps the muscles as well.

btw Tylenol is a brand name for paracetamol.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Tylenol is a brand name for paracetamol
i think there's something else in there as well - I read the label once (that's jetlag for you). Seems to work faster/better than ordinary paracetomol.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

Tylenol is a brand name for paracetamol
i think there's something else in there as well - I read the label once (that's jetlag for you). Seems to work faster/better than ordinary paracetomol.

Alcohol?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent a week in Breckenridge and no symptoms just to cheer you up!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed for 10 days at copper, xmas before last, and the only real problem we had was getting over the tiredness from the long day travelling and time difference. As far as the altitude was concerned, we did get a bit puffed walking to the lifts and always looked forward to the sit down on the first chair lift up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, yeah, that's the stuff. A product that gives you the headache it just took away. Neat. Bingeacetomol.

skilegs, I forgot to mention nausea.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been there several times, most of them ok. But one time I got hit with a big headache. So, it really depends, except I don't know depends on what!

Just take it easy, you'll probably be fine. Don't go hitting A-basin on day 1, it's the highest of the "Summit 4".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

i think there's something else in there as well

The box will say acetaminophen which is the active ingredient and is the US name for paracetamol...useless fact number 484
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
northernsoulboy,

IME, lodging that high means that you wil take a few days to recover...you will likely have a couple of sleepless nights but no major issues for most people. Hope you are going for longer than 7 days. Drink plenty of water and avoid too much beer as this tends to compound the issues. Not that you can get drunk on the gnats they call beer there, but.............

Drink US microbrews along with lots of water to stave off alcohol and altitude induced dehydration. They taste a lot better than bud/coors and have plenty of kick. Fat Tire is a widely distributed Colorado brew - their dark ale is pretty evil. Plenty of other microbrewies around - one in Breck if I remember correctly? Best US microbrews tend to come from west coast tho.

And I'd go to Vail - the skiings a lot better Toofy Grin

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 31-10-07 20:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cfc5mu0, thank you doctor
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
northernsoulboy, so, to sum up... you're going to get a banging headache, your teeth will fall out, you'll feel sick, be totally dehydrated, won't be able to sleep, be advised to drink their beer and take unfamiliar drugs with uncertain side affects, oh, and you'll need oxygen probably. Your ski technique will desert you, so will your partner and, if the extreme cold doesn't finish you, the drive back down a slippery i70 certainly will.

Actually, I think there's a 99% chance you'll be just fine. Glad you asked?
latest report
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing - I agree with the last bit. snowHead
snow report
northernsoulboy, I coughed up blood for 3 days in Breckenridge. With Gortornator on Vail too. Hope you enjoy it. Way more to US skiing than Summit County.
snow report
JT wrote:
Drink plenty of water and avoid too much beer as this tends to compound the issues. Not that you can get drunk on the gnats they call beer there, but.............

One time I was staying in Breckenridge and went out for an evening meal. I fancied some beers with my meal, and realised that if I bought a pitcher of beer (about 4 pints) it would be cheaper than ordering say 4 pints over the course of the evening. So I ordered myself a pitcher (somewhat to the the surprise of the waitress - "What all for yourself?" Shocked - obviously she hadn't met many British apres skiers wink ). The alcoholic content of the beer was no problem - as you say gnats p -but what I had forgotten was how gassy some American beers can be. By the time I left the restaurant I felt like a barrage balloon about to explode! Toofy Grin
snow report
Alastair Pink, the trick is to let it out a bit at a time. wink
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
northernsoulboy, I coughed up blood for 3 days in Breckenridge. With Gortornator on Vail too. Hope you enjoy it. Way more to US skiing than Summit County.

Spent two weeks in Colorado 2 years ago. Snow at Steamboat, Aspen and Vail was excellent - lots of pow days, deep base. From Vail, on a pow day, we got up early and drove to Breck. No new snow, and full of rocks and woody bits and people. Talked to locals and cover at other Summit County areas was similarly poor. So we went back to Vail and skied knee deep next day Madeye-Smiley

I enjoyed Aspen and Vail immensely. I can understand why people like Colorado, especially for international access, but its expensive compared to other Rocky Mountain states, west coast and Canada, and all those places have as much to offer. Just not the marketing budget, I guess!
snow report
Went to winter park 2 years ago for 2 weeks. We live at sea level and were fine. Only thing that caused aproblem was the hot tub, felt really really odd after that, light headed and very sick, so did not do that again! Just drink lots of water and take it easy for the first day or so.
Would love to go back, the instruction was excellent and very inexpensive. Powder was fantastic.
snow report
Agree with much that's posted. Problem for many Brits is they drink all the way over (thanks BA) and never make up lost ground. Good combo for first couple of days is: beer only and ibuprofen plus diorylate (electrolyte supplement) each night. Believe me it works but you'll still puff when you bend over do buckle up your boots! Just make sure you explore all the resorts, there is masses of terrain and "the beach" at A basin late season is a real hoot when the BBQs fire up. You'll have a blast........
ski holidays
Done Breckenridge there was a guy in our chalet with altitude sickness so we were all advised to drink loads of water .....I have never got up to pee soo often in the night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no probs skiing but walking up hill was a wheeze
snow report
Been to Breckenridge twice and Crested Butte once. Never had any problems in either. I hardly drink any alcohol at the best of times so have never had to worry about that.

Have heard of a person having to head back down to Denver though as was having severe problems.
ski holidays
After 3 visits to that area I can confirm all the above is possible!
On the occassion we o'nighted in Denver (mile high) and drove up next morning seemed to be the best.
Just that acclimatisation at Denver might have helped.
Too good not to go!!
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:
...Can someone please reassure me that not everyone who skies there ends up with nosebleeds and two-week headaches? Shocked Razz

Was up in Breckenridge and Vail for a few days in September and had bad headaches and shortness of breath. Someone got sent home from our hotel by a doctor after she'd burst some blood vessels in her eye. Shocked

Mind you, it makes the thin air on the aeroplane on the way home unnoticable. wink
snow conditions
But still well worth it
ski holidays
Living in The Netlerands and living below sea level the altitiude gain for us is greater Very Happy

In 30yrs I have only had the symptons once but im convinced it was becuase I flew direct into Telluride (via Denver ) from Amsterdam & had probably over indulged on the onboard beverage service Very Happy

Normally flying into Denver & over nighting there, then driving up higher to the resorts is enough time for the body to acclimatise.

Tylenol is what we call Paracetamol but form what people say it is much faster acting so I suspect it may contain come small amounts of Codeine (which is regulated in the US)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redrunmarcus wrote:
But still well worth it

Definitely. Smile
snow report
stanton wrote:
Tylenol is what we call Paracetamol but form what people say it is much faster acting so I suspect it may contain come small amounts of Codeine (which is regulated in the US)

Hi,

Over the counter Tylenol (from a pharmacy/drug store/chemist/supermarket) doesn't have codeine in it. There is a prescription version that does, but you can't buy it off the shelf; you have to have a prescription.

good luck,
Carl
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:
Can someone please reassure me that not everyone who skies there ends up with nosebleeds and two-week headaches? Shocked Razz

I did a fair bit of research on this very topic when contemplating a trip to Colorado.

The few very good tips which seemed to be universally accepted as best practice were to try and stay, at the very least overnight, in Denver when you arrive before heading up to the resorts to help acclimatise. If time permits, a couple of days in Denver would see you GREATLY reduce the chances of altitude sickness.

The other one was alcohol consumption. As hard as it will be, just don't arrive with a hangover and go VERY easy on it for the first couple of days to give the body maximum chance to acclimatise.
snow conditions
Take lots of energy snacks/drinks including water with you and eat well when off the slopes to avoid a gradual melt down of stamina, co ordination as your holiday moves on.
Many do not respect or understand the effects altitude can have on the body and mind.They also pay the price.
When you are losing it and wondering why then now you will know the reason and be able to prevent the symptoms or deal with them if they appear. Be observent of the signs in your skiing buddys behaviour just as they should be looking out for you.White patches on noses,etc are indications of frostbite. 12,000ft, at -14 Deg Celcius combined with 30 mph skiing speed = facial frostbite conditions that may go un noticed except by your buddys.Hypothermia is a gradual thing and often goes un noticed untill it is too late.

Rob

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 4-11-07 9:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Triple B, I have spent a day in Denver - don't bother.

Breckenridge town is higher than many US resort towns , and it tends to be the height you sleep at that gives the problem. It is the only Ski resort I have ever had anything approaching altitude sickness in. It has a high base, and a vertical that goes higher still. Telluride is also high - so interesting to hear Stanton had problems - also a worry because it is on my to-do list.

My main gripe with Breckenridge is that it is just not a great example of what US skiing can offer, but I have said this many times before...
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:

My main gripe with Breckenridge is that it is just not a great example of what US skiing can offer, but I have said this many times before...

keep saying it, 'coz it's true wink
snow report
Well, if people realize how big the US is, they would understand no single resort can be a "good example" of US skiing! Very Happy
ski holidays
abc, Agreed. Would it be the first one you chose to go to? Things have changed a bit, but for many years I believe Summit County was the destination for something like half of the UK skiers going on TO organised holidays
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
abc, Agreed. Would it be the first one you chose to go to? Things have changed a bit, but for many years I believe Summit County was the destination for something like half of the UK skiers going on TO organised holidays

wow - really! I didn't know that, but does explain a lot. Breck's a decent place, but there's much better to be had in all aspects.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:

I won't blame them though, TO propaganda or not. They could have done a lot worse than Breck. Killington, for example! Wink

For better or for worse, Summit county WAS the frist place I hit out west. While not exactly knocked my socks off, it was good enough that I went back more than once. Though to be fair, one of its prime advantage back then (I was a student) being it's quite inexpensive when I went (10-15 years back). I got the impression Summit County has gone "up market" quite a bit over the years. So it may not be quite as good a value as what it was. Still, it's a safe enough bet. It's not likely anyone would be altogether disappointed either.

(The other advantage of Summit Count is the ultra short transfer time for midwest skier, where I was living back then. We could leave home in the morning and hit the slope of Summit by noon! Until I got a king size headache from altitude sickness on my last trip there. Just to keep to the main theme of this thread)

Whistler and Vail, while probably the best holiday destination, aren't "good exmple" of North America skiing either. Both are mega resorts with no equal (west side of the pond).

Aspen, Steamboat etc. are more "western" in their "American" appeal. But one can't say it's any "example" either. Again, they're unique in their appeal. Same applies to Tahoe. Nice, unique, but not "representative". While Jackson, Taos etc. are strictly expert only terrain. Some keep going back to them, others just don't see the point.

That left SLC and Park City. Terrain and snow (quantity & quality) are more diverse than Summit County. One also has more choice of budget and apres. Both up and down market. It's more of my personal favorate now (has been for a long time). And for the gang over the pond, the extra hour of flight (compare to Denver) will only be a drop in the bucket in their overall transfer time (which IS a critical issue for us east coast skier trying to squeeze a long weekend out west).
ski holidays
abc and others
thanks for input, all helpful.
main reason for going to resorts near denver is direct flights from the UK and relatively short transfer time (little kids).
thinking of steamboat, based on good reports about ski school and lower altitude. any thoughts? actually, i'll start a steamboat thread.
cheers all.
ski holidays
Problem with Steamboat is you have to go over Berthoud Pass which can be a big problem in bad weather.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy