Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touching the Void

Poster: A snowHead
For anyone who has not seen it yet, the film of Joe Simpsons exploits in the Andes is on channel 4 on thursday at 9pm.

[Edit: scroll down for views and comment on the movie]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you. Was frustrated to miss it when it came out. Looking forward to seeing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't yet decided if I want to watch it. Reading the book was bad enough without seeing pictures Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, It is a "must see," film if only to hear the 2 climbers account of the events, and as you have read the book you will know the outcome was not too tragic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the outcome was not too tragic

Well - thanks for that.

From all of us who were looking forward to seeing the film and haven't read the book but now know the ending Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maggi, it becomes obvious from the start of the film that the film has a "happy ending", as the three people involved are narrating the story, so obviously must have all survived.

Elizabeth, it's a great film, with only one or two bits to make you cringe. It's a fantastic story, and also has some brilliant cinematography.

For those who subscribe to Film Four, it's on tonight at !0pm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Althought the film was good I thought he book was better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will definitely be watching it on Thursday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi Apologies if I have marred your enjoyment of the film, but the TV listings in the newspapers describe the film in much more detail.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with Linds that the book is better. The bit where they're both left dangling off the safety ropes in their sleeping bags is completely heart stopping.

Another book about climbing that I've enjoyed is "Into thin air" about Everest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, Kramer and pistemeister. I didn't realise that it made it clear at the beginning that they all survived. I thought it was a "cliffhanger" rolling eyes (groans all round) Embarassed

PS The book is always better than the film. It's one of the rules of life Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer,
Quote:

Another book about climbing that I've enjoyed is "Into thin air"
Then you should read "The climb" by Anatoli Boukreev, which gives another side to the story. maggi, I agree the book is always better, enjoy the film.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maggi - Not with Lord of the Rings, really enjoyed the film, can't stand the book.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I thought it was a "cliffhanger"

It is!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer,
Quote:

Not with Lord of the Rings, really enjoyed the film, can't stand the book

As I couldn't stand the book either - I didn't bother to go and watch the film!
snow report
Well I want to watch it, but im not very good with surprises, so if someone could just pm me and tell me how it ends, then I can watch it all the way through without being scared!

(yes i know its pathetic!)
snow report
Kramer,
Quote:

I agree with Linds that the book is better. The bit where they're both left dangling off the safety ropes in their sleeping bags is completely heart stopping.

I think this is a different book about an alpine epic he had, not certain though.
latest report
It's at the beginning of touching the void, when he's talking about previous accidnets that he had seen and witnessed.
snow report
I saw it in the cinema - fantastic sound if you can get a proper home cinema set-up to watch it on. Turn all the lights off and feel you are in the Andes for the breathtaking opening sequence. Interestingly different from the book, it covers the walk out that Joe Simpson can barely recall. pistemeister, thanks for finding it and telling us
snow conditions
You could always record it and then watch how it ends. Sad I know but sometimes that is the only way I will watch a film if I know how it ends.

Nadenoodlee wrote:
Well I want to watch it, but im not very good with surprises, so if someone could just pm me and tell me how it ends, then I can watch it all the way through without being scared!

(yes i know its pathetic!)
snow report
Nadenoodlee, put it this way, they are both recounting the story in the documentary..... It is really an amazing story. I found the book utterly compelling and the film good, especially in the documentarly style, really makes you understand the power of the mountains. I went on to read all of Joe Simpsons other books, and it is interesting to watch his style change over the years as he seems to become more bitter about the climbing fraternity.
snow report
The book is usually better because you picture it in your imagination and it's exactly how you want it.

When somebody takes a book and puts it on screen it's rarely exactly how you imagined it.

There are exceptions like Bladerunner but the film has very little to do with it apart from the central idea, if that makes sense.

I thought they were both good btw.
snow conditions
It's an utterly gripping story - surely the greatest true survival story ever told on screen - so I'd recommend being in a quiet room without any distractions...and the phone off the hook.
snow report
I really enjoyed seeing this at the cinema, one of the best films I've seen in years.

My visit was made more enjoyable because the trip was free. We complained a couple of days earlier when we went to see "the girl with the pearl earing" because you could hear the music blaring from the neigbouring sceen (showing Touching the Void!) and they gave us free tickets, so two days later I went to see the film whose noise caused us to complain Wink
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
It's an utterly gripping story - surely the greatest true survival story ever told on screen - so I'd recommend being in a quiet room without any distractions...and the phone off the hook.

Well... what about Apollo 13? However, I hope to take your advice, David.
snow report
Arggh! Just realised friend is coming up from Newcastle to go out on the lash and im going to miss it!! A whole 3 days of nights in with crap tv and then this!
snow conditions
Nick, an interesting comparison. Apollo 13 was certainly an extraordinary result from a position of apparent hopelessness. 'Touching the Void' has the aspects of the rope (which introduces the fundamental issues of trust between the two climbers), the cold and the other adversities which - for me - make it the more compelling story.

See what you think!
ski holidays
A brilliant compelling book -
If you have read the book, you will not be disappointed with the film - it is a masterpiece and rightly won the BAFTA Best British Film award ahead of the likes of Cold Mountain on 10 times the budget.

The film makers have succeeded in portraying the moutnains as they really are - there a very few people who have been able to do that. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow. A real raw edge. Compelling.
latest report
Good movie Shocked
snow report
Amazing real life endurance & determination. Makes a lot of modern fictional film pale into insignificance.

AW
snow conditions
Couldnt move from the television even in the ad breaks. An amazing story of determination in the face of adversity. Their are alot of issues the film raises that I think the book may hold clues to. I cant believe the lack of planning for emergencies other than having good kit. I would have thought a 2 way radio each would have been a must on a expedition like that, but 2 way radios may have been to heavy when they did the climb I dont know. They did say they were reckless on some of their climbs. Even so its a remarkable story

It takes a brave man to cut a rope like that but doing it probably saved them both although I suspect Stephen was thinking of saving himself.

I dont think I could have cut the rope or even made it off the mountain
ski holidays
Quote:

It takes a brave man to cut a rope like that

Well, yes, if it means one person surviving long enough to get back and alert the rescue services to look for the other. The attitude of well, he must be dead, let's burn his stuff and forget him was unbelievable! In fact, if it hadn't been based on a true story, surely everyone would have said as much Shocked

If I were Joe, the first thing I would have done when I saw Simon would be to smack him one.
latest report
Was all set. Kids in bed, bottle of wine to hand, then disaster - I fell asleep! Apart from the start, I missed virtually the whole film. Oh well, can anyone lend me the book?
latest report
Brilliant, impulsive viewing.

maggi.............what rescue services could he raise, miles from anywhere. He was in a very bad state, the other guy they were with was also a complete noivce to mountaineering, they had no real idea where he would be............very tough decision to make!

I found it strange that the film didn't show the 2 guys together at the end, during th interview. Does the book paint a picture that they were still mates? Do they still climb together.

....the books going on my x-mas! (..........if anyone's interested Wink )
snow conditions
I'm not sure that he had any choice but to cut the rope, he couldn't haul his friend up the mountain, he didn't even know that he was hanging over a cliff at the time. It was a mistake not going closer to the crevasse to look in but I think we have to consider his state of mind at the time, he'd just dropped his friend 150 ft down a cliff and into a crevasse that was huge, at least as deep again, would you expect to see anyone alive at the bottom ?

Hell even the chap that fell didn't believe he'd survived, the fact that he did and managed to do what he did to get out is truly amazing and must be regarded as such.
latest report
I know patriotism is old-fashioned, but does anyone else feel proud to be British after that?
snow report
Wow. That was very impressive. I wasn't sure that I was going to watch all of the film but it just drew me in.

I'm completely in awe of what Joe Simpson managed to do. I can't conceive of that level of determination. And then to top it all - Boney M!! The pain!!

I'm surprised that Simon has been criticised for cutting the rope - anyone know exactly what other climbers think he should have done?
snow conditions
alan empty, I'm not sure that the criticism is about cutting the rope so much as his not checking for Joe's body at the crevasse, given that no sane person would have considered doing a one man mountain rescue the fact that both survived is remarkable, if it hadn't been for Simons efforts in lowering Joe down most of the mountain it's quite certain that Joe would have died. In my opinion they are both incredible
latest report
Russell wrote:
..I would have thought a 2 way radio each would have been a must on a expedition like that..

I was surprised they didn't seem to have whistles. Wouldn't have been much us when Joe was dangling on the end of the rope, given the conditions, but a better chance of being heard thereafter than shouting.

D G Orf wrote:
...not checking for Joe's body at the crevasse...

Of course we were looking from the comfort of our living rooms, not high up on a glacier, worn out, and short of water. I agree with you, they are both incredible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy