Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet baggage allowances - the facts! (Read before you fly!)

Poster: A snowHead
if their scales are out or not recalibrated correctly i am sure the relevent authorities would love to know about it....is there not a rule somewhere that says if you arer selling something by weight [excess charges in this case] that your scales have to be accurate?? do weights and measures not check aircraft baggage scales
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc wrote:
Just use Thomsonfly. 25kg normal baggage, plus 25kg for your ski's for £15 each way Wink

Pity they only fly to Salzburg of any use Sad

And Geneva, Grenoble, Venice and Barcelona.

And I think they may be only showing their summer schedules at the moment. I'm pretty sure they fly to places like Turin once the ski season gets going.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick L, I found an article on planetfear that says it's unlimited, however, that was dated 2004 and I find it impossible to believe it's still the case.

So once again:

Quote:
what exactly are the ryanair limits once you've paid the extra for ski/board carrige?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, since it's you, and I care (just) see here.

Quote:
Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance upon payment of an additional charge of £15.50/€22.50 per item, per one way flight via www.ryanair.com or £20.50/€30 per item, per one way flight at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre.

As I read it, there is no weight limit for these items. Accordingly I would expect the airline might check to see you are carrying no additional equipment - though I hope they would allow ski poles (not that that would bother you). I look forward to tales of you sliding down hills on your harp.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IN response to an enquiry from me, I had it in e-mail from Bristol airport admin only a couple of weeks back that their security will pass ski boots as hand luggage . I find my boots will fit in a small suitcase that's within the airlines stated dimensions for hand luggage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly wrote:
Nick L, I found an article on planetfear that says it's unlimited, however, that was dated 2004 and I find it impossible to believe it's still the case.

So once again:

Quote:
what exactly are the ryanair limits once you've paid the extra for ski/board carrige?

As H&S rules state a maximum of 32kg for a single piece of luggage, we could assume it was 32kg.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easyjet weighed my skibag at Geneva on the way back yesterday, it was 27.4kg. They tried to charge me excess, I said it was wintersports equipment and it was OK under the new rules, she said OK, no extra charge. Got away with that one then. Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just come back from a ski season in New Zealand,
I didnt pack my back till i was at the airport so had no idea how much it weighed.
I had my suitcase, boot bag (with ski & snowboard boots) & my ski bag (with most of my new clothes in it)
Your allowed 32kg in one bag with ANZ
I managed to sweet talk the nice kiwi girl @ the check in to put my suitcase & boot bag in a large plastic bag & tape it up, this came to 32kg
then i had the shock of weighing my ski bag, 17kg it came to
sh continued as if i had 1 small bag & charged me nothing at all & even gave me the choice of any seat on the plane.
Be nice to them & they might let you slip thru with no charges
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boycott these Budget arilines there not that cheap once you add up the extra charges for equipment, on board drinks, eats & the extra charges for taxis,trains to get you to there remote remote airports (Luton).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, Depends where you live. If you live in London North of the river, Luton is far easier than Gatwick, LHR or Stanstead. Just of the M1, parking is a lot cheaper than the others, Train from Kings Cross.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, yes, goes via my local London station, Kentish Town (10min walk from home)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tjski, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman wrote:
stanton, Depends where you live. If you live in London North of the river, Luton is far easier than Gatwick, LHR or Stanstead. Just of the M1, parking is a lot cheaper than the others, Train from Kings Cross.

All that - and Lorraine Chase as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Surely a tube to Heathrow is cheaper than parking for 1 or 2 weeks at Luton ? Once you add on Parking , Petrol to the actual flight this must add up significantly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
.....Surely a tube to Heathrow is cheaper than parking for 1 or 2 weeks at Luton ? Once you add on Parking , Petrol to the actual flight this must add up significantly.

My dear Dutch friend. do take the trouble to read what other sHs have written here, if they live in Britain, it is just possible that they know more about the situation here than you do.

Spyderman wrote:
Train from Kings Cross.

Perhaps I am being unkind. You see, over here, the concept is that if you take a train to the airport, you don't pay a car parking charge at all. None of our trains runs on petrol. Some do use diesel fuel - but the idea is that the cost of that has already been taken care of in your train ticket price, allowing for any public subsidy.

Hope that helps. Do let us know if you need any further advice on the quaint customs we have here.
snow report
although spyderman did comment that parking is cheaper at Luton....
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, stop being reasonable, I am not in the mood Toofy Grin

Anyway, stanton was talking about the cost of getting to Heathrow by rail, but ignoring the rail connection to Luton.
latest report
achilles, ok. wink

I would love to take the train to Luton, but the flight arrival time doesn't work for the return Sad . I do get the tube when going to Heathrow though - I've got an all zone tube season ticket so it's a freebie Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Surely a tube to Heathrow is cheaper than parking for 1 or 2 weeks at Luton ? Once you add on Parking , Petrol to the actual flight this must add up significantly.

Not everybody lives in London.
East Midlands, Stansted, Luton, Birmingham, Norwich, Leeds, Coventry and several others would all be closer and a lot more convenient for me to use over Heathrow.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, yup. Worst airports that I have to use sometimes are, in descending order:

1. Heathrow.
2. Gatwick.
3. Luton - but that's a long way better than either of the above 2.
4. Stansted.
5. Birmingham.
6. East Midlands - least worst, ie best.
snow report
unfortunatly living in oxford there are no rail links to airports which fly to turin. Meaning i have to park the car at the airport which is like £70, which is a pain, i'd find it much easier to use the train.

I recommend people to fly with easyjet through bristol. small airport, with no queues whatsoever. Plus last time i looked ryanair at christmas are flying to turin for £45 return with taxes. Last year when i flew through Gatwick on christmas eve (i know it was busiest day of the year). There was a queue of an hour at 6am to get through security and a lot of people were running for the flight. So i hate big airports and small airports like stansted, bristol and luton are much better than Heathrow and Gatwick.

We always hire skis, so we never have a problem with taking too much luggage. if you go skiing reguargly i see the argument for buying skiis. But if you only go once/twice a year i see hiring as a much easier way of getting by. Never have a problem with sizes etc, the people in the hire shops are normally very helpful.
snow report
Christopher wrote:
unfortunatly living in oxford there are no rail links to airports which fly to turin. Meaning i have to park the car at the airport which is like £70, which is a pain, i'd find it much easier to use the train.

That's a bit steep - Sat - Sat at Pink Elephant, Stanstead is about £45
snow report
well £70 is normally the average price, this year i got luton for £60 and bristol for £70. ive been to pink elephant before and i dont remeber it being that cheap!
ski holidays
Christopher, snowball, Stansted is about £7.00 per day if you just turn up, but you can get it a bit cheaper in advance. I wouldn't expect to pay £60 for Luton, I woudl go to the off-airport parking for about £4 per day.
ski holidays
Just checked out a notional AA quote for parking at Woodlands Lodge Premier Parking is situated less than 0.5 miles from Stansted Airport at the M11 Junction 8.

Quote at AA member rates:

Start date: Sunday, 27 January 2008(08:00)
Return Date: Sunday, 3 February 2008(19:00)
Airport: Stansted
Car Park: Woodlands Lodge Premier Parking
Duration: 8 day(s)
Total Price: £ 46.58
snow report
Christopher wrote:
well £70 is normally the average price, this year i got luton for £60 and bristol for £70. ive been to pink elephant before and i dont remeber it being that cheap!

How on earth do you manage to spend so much for parking at Bristol?

It's the airport I use most, and I have never paid as much as £40 for a weeks parking.

I just checked now, and for a week (8 days) in January, at the Silver Zone car park, the quote is £29. Even at the one by the terminal building it is only quoting £39.

You have to be paying for the "Meet and Greet" service to be paying £69.
snow report
stanton wrote:
achilles wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

Only for those few people who happen to live in London.

While it may be the largest city in the UK, there are still a lot more people who don't live there than who do.
snow conditions
Pink Elephant car park (a few minutes, regular shuttle-bus to terminal door):
I put in a Sat - Sat date in January arriving 4am, leaving 11.30pm (ie 8 days)
I got :
£47,20 for Stanstead (£5.90/day) and
£32 for Luton (£4/day).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 29-10-07 15:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:

My dear Dutch friend. do take the trouble to read what other sHs have written here, if they live in Britain, it is just possible that they know more about the situation here than you do.

You do need some outside prospective otherwise you end up living in a bubble Very Happy

I have done all routes into London i.e Heathrow,Gatwick, Stanstead, City & Luton.

Got to say the Luton link to London, I could not believe the fares!! I have ridden in better quality trains in Azerbaijan & Uzbekistan Very Happy Very Happy

The Heathrow Express is a nice train but unbelievebly expensive. I think I paid around £3.50 from central London to Heathrow on the Tube in peak time which I thought was very good value. Very Happy

A the end of the day it allways a relief to get back to a clean spacious airport like Schiphol & where the public transport system runs on time & is relatively cheap Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I went to Sweden this year with ryanair and I reckon it took nearly as long to get from the bus stop at pink elephant to the car as it did to fly to gothenburg.
As for ryanair....what a stressfull nightmare, we had two kids and didn't realize seats are a free for all so we let everyone else on first thinking there was a seat number on our tickets and were pretty unhappy when we boarded only to find no seats together and the mail trolly dolly in his best attempt at english asking us 'what did we expect?' ( I could have rattled it all off but he wouldn't have understood). Some nice folks rearranged and my wife and kids sat together which was nice especially when the plane bounced down the runway on a succession of different wheels. Armed with the knowledge we arrived first for the return journey sat right at the head of the check in desk and joined in the battle, in the 2 hour delay, with those who felt a desperate need to stand in the 6 inches of space I had left between us and the desk rolling eyes Perhaps we are spoilt in sunny brum by bmi but I will definitely be sticking with them from now on.
ski holidays
Some useful points made above - I've found a new company that appear to be flying out from Bristol (and some other airports) to Chambery called Snowjet. However their luggage allowance seems just as miserly as easyjet although their excess charges are marginally less at £5 per Kilo - anyone got any experience of them?
nickH wrote:
IN response to an enquiry from me, I had it in e-mail from Bristol airport admin only a couple of weeks back that their security will pass ski boots as hand luggage . I find my boots will fit in a small suitcase that's within the airlines stated dimensions for hand luggage.

That's useful to know, thanks for mentioning that - BTW, what's their e-mail address?

Anyway, now I'm back from London and the ski show I'll try to grab some time to contact easyjet and get a response to the luggage weight disparity issue as well as make a complaint about the attitude of the two members of their staff I mentioned above.
snow conditions
We got caught out with excess baggage last year. Tried to circumvent it this year by booking flights for four and ski carriage for 6.
Computer said 'no', and we were told that the only thing we could do was pay for additional ski carriage at the higher rate when we got to the airport.

So that was helpful Twisted Evil

Booked another flight to Italy in March where the ski/board weight allowance is only 6kg rolling eyes
I think that my skis and poles together probaly weigh more than that.

Cant remember the carrier now, but flying out of Bristol.

Cheap flights aint quite so cheap any more rolling eyes
ski holidays
ollski wrote:
I went to Sweden this year with ryanair and I reckon it took nearly as long to get from the bus stop at pink elephant to the car as it did to fly to gothenburg.
!!! Which one was this? Sometimes, in my experience, you have to wait ten minutes for a bus to fill up and perhaps 10 minutes for the journey itself.
However, I must admit I once came back on a late flight and there was such a big crowd waiting for shuttle buses I waited about 45 minutes before I got on one.
snow conditions
Cheap flights aint quite so cheap any more rolling eyes[/quote]

im sorry, but i disagree with you totally, i was looking at flight at christmas from Bristol to Turin for £40returm, that to me is incredibly cheap for a flight. I could get it even cheaper outside peak time. As long as you stick to the guidlines, which are easy enough to be within aslong as you dont go OTT. I admit these extra bag charges from ryanair is beyond cheeky! But overall air travel is still rather cheap.

so flights are cheap! and in comparison to rail in this country which is ridicolously over priced for a poo-poo service
snow report
Christopher wrote:
so flights are cheap! and in comparison to rail in this country which is ridicolously over priced for a poo-poo service

Fair comment Laughing
snow report
Ok last day of EJ sale and I need to book my flight...
But have got confused - and even though an email has gone to EJ - I expect the answer may come back quicker from SH!

Travelling on my own with a snowboard - and will be taking just one large snowboard bag plus my handluggage. Yes I need to pay the sports equipment charge of £15 each way...
My question is do I also need to pay the £3 hold baggage charge as well? (or is it kind of already accounted for in the sports equipment charge?)

thanks
MM
ski holidays
On the subject of scales calibration, in Grenoble last Saturday I checked my bag on one scales and it weighted 17.6kg but when I went to check-in at another it was 15.6kg??
snow report
stanton wrote:
Boycott these Budget arilines there not that cheap once you add up the extra charges for equipment, on board drinks, eats & the extra charges for taxis,trains to get you to there remote remote airports (Luton).

oh my god, it is in the sahara desert! what a treck! im not going there now! Very Happy

Its actually the nearest airport to me except heathrow. I live in oxford somewhere which is still going through the agricultural revolution in the countryside(as you make luton sound). So please dont say that.

By Car here are the following times from the other side of oxfordshire from london, so we have to grind through ringroad traffic to get to london.
heathrow 1 hour15
Luton 1 hour 25
Birmingham 1 hour30
Bristol 1hour35
Stanstead 1hour45

so i dont think a 25/30 minutes from london on the train to luton or even stansted is very remote. Also your going on the holiday, unless your a boring git, you should be starting to get excited on the way to the airport thinking about all that snow. Admitadly the journey home is so boring and annoying.

And budget airlines are still rather cheap, i can get christmas week all inclusive with ryanair £175 from bristol to turin for 4 people return.

1. in comparison to rail in this country
2. in comparison to British Airways, who always seem to lose everyones bags, i swear their the worst. Easyjet and ryanair after using them for about 5 years have never lost my bags.

You can decide whether that is cheap or not? and i dont think

sorry i forgot i already briefly commented on what he said, ive just seen that as ive just reread all the posts. Just reiteraiting my point.
snow report
mountain mad wrote:
Travelling on my own with a snowboard - and will be taking just one large snowboard bag plus my handluggage. Yes I need to pay the sports equipment charge of £15 each way...
My question is do I also need to pay the £3 hold baggage charge as well?

If you can get a straight answer out of them then let us know. I'm interested in doing it this way as well but questions asked so far just get answers pointing to their carrier's regs and t+c's, which are unclear.

You can interpret it to mean that £15 gets you 1x skibag + 1x bootbag on top of whatever you pay for as hold luggage, but I expect you'll still have to pay the £3 to get the initial 20kg allowance.

FWIW we had 'issues' on the way back from the PSB with the new bag charge, even with the email confirmation printout to show who paid what and when rolling eyes
They tried to tell Jerry he hadn't paid for something he had but they let my bags (ski + case) straight through even though they were above 32kgs Shocked
ski holidays
mountain mad, I booked the skis after I had booked my flight. I only paid the £15.00. (I had a case as well and I paid £3.00 for that). You will only get 12kg for your baord bag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy