Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet baggage allowances - the facts! (Read before you fly!)

Poster: A snowHead
Having incurred excess baggage costs from Easyjet on the trip to Tignes for the Atomic boot camp (very good by the way and yeah I did take too much stuff! rolling eyes ) I've noticed that there appears to be some confusion (not least for me up until now) about Easyjet's new rules with regards to what you can carry.

Having had a 'discussion' with a rather short fused young man at the Easyjet desk in Bristol when I arrived back, and having checked the situation on their site (which makes it as difficult as possible to find the details) this is the situation:

The allowable weight per passenger before you get charged excess is NOT 50Kg, it is 32Kg - 20Kg being the basic allowance with a further 12Kg for Sports equipment/skis if paid for (which I had).

The maximum allowable baggage is 50Kg but everything above 32Kg will be charged at the excess rate of £6 per Kilo

Up until now I've had no problems with the service at Bristol, however on this trip the woman who charged me excess on the way to Geneva was, IMHO, rude and unhelpful. When checking up on the exact situation today the bloke I spoke to was impatient and offered no apology for his colleagues demeanour, and when asked questions (albeit probing and persistent ones) until I got a proper answer was rude, defensive and didn't seem to give a damn about anything apart from the 'fact' Geneva had failed to also charge me stupid money for excess on the way back too!

I will be taking the matter further with Easyjet particularly given the fact that there's a 2Kg disparity in the weight of my baggage on a weigh in I insisted in having after arriving back in Bristol - that amounts to £12 I have been wrongfully charged if the second weigh in is accurate!

So, for future reference, how do the Easyjet baggage allowances and the excess charges compare to competitors such as Ryanair - or are they even worse?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"excess rate of £6 per Kilo " or part thereof

I got hit on the way out but they didn't weigh my ski bag . . . there's no way in hell I can get skis and a board with the bits needed to play on them within 32Kg.

PS. roga, good to meet you snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It never has been 50kgs free as far as I know.

20kgs standard allowance to be spread over a few bags at £4 per bag
however if you pay extra for ski carriage then the free allowance is upped to 32kgs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FenlandSkier wrote:
It never has been 50kgs free as far as I know.

20kgs standard allowance to be spread over a few bags at £4 per bag
however if you pay extra for ski carriage then the free allowance is upped to 32kgs.

Correct.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
32kg was always my understanding

(smart ass mode off)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, Alastair Pink, Frosty the Snowman, have they not cut the allowance by 10Kg (or something) between last season and this?

I recall a couple of threads on that a while back but could be mistaken...

Anyway, the reason I mention it not being 50Kg is that I was told over in Tignes that 50 was the weight they started charging excess at, which was news to me but is wrong anyway I'm afraid.

My main gripes are the disparities in weighing (expensive when it's £6 a Kilo), the attitude displayed by the staff at Bristol and the fact Easyjet make it very difficult to find clear details on their site, I can but presume the latter is deliberate in order to catch people out and make a few extra bucks - just my opinion of course Toofy Grin
Masque wrote:
"excess rate of £6 per Kilo " or part thereof

I got hit on the way out but they didn't weigh my ski bag . . . there's no way in hell I can get skis and a board with the bits needed to play on them within 32Kg.

Yeah, you'd need severe rationalisation of equipment!
Quote:
PS. roga, good to meet you snowHead

You too snowHead

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 24-10-07 22:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just out of curiosity I wonder how often the check in scales are recalibrated, this is not the first time I've heard of check in scales reading several kilos higher than expected, perhaps it's time to call in the weights and measures people
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

(smart ass mode off)

My understanding, too. When I last looked at Ryanir's t&cs, they seemed more stringent than Easyjet - which is why I do no t use them (Ryanair). However, if I am wrong now, someone please tell me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, yup, selling by weight without the scales being certified - tut tut tut
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, the Ryanair basic is 15kg, not 20kg as in Easyjet.
At one time ski allowance at Easyjet was enough to take two pairs of skis or a ski and board, but really it is too tight now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always thought the limit was 90KG Puzzled

Oh that's right it is - for the roofbox!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

(smart ass mode off)

Same here, 20kg "normal" paying your ski allowance gave you an extra 12kg.

It's *always* lots cheaper to pay on the web, so if you get hit on the way out, see if you can pre-pay via the internet for the return journey.

50kg is a massive amount!!! Note the max limit for one bag used to be 32kg on BA (and I'd assume elsewhere) but they lowered it due to "health and safey" to 23kg max per bag.

In really smug mode I've always found it easy to find the limits on their websites with a few clicks or a seach, IMHO your best argument may be why scales are reading so differently....

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, that's always how I understood it. I've used the scales at an empty check in desk before queing up if I thought my baggage was tight, just to see if the weight is the same on both sets of scales (asn to quickly t/f stuff to hand luggage if necessary).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
At one time ski allowance at Easyjet was enough to take two pairs of skis or a ski and board, but really it is too tight now.

Which begs another question, on the baggage page of their website it doesn't make it clear what sports equipment (in terms of skis) really is. For example according to their Carrier's Regulations
Quote:
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment or musical instruments as set out in the table below:

£15 if pre-booked or £20 on the day.

But when you try to add the sports equipment charge to a booking it says
Quote:
Fees for sports equipment. Skis/snowboards (including boots and poles),

So can you have 2 bags ie 1 skibag + 1 bootbag?
and then gives you the option to book either 0 pair(s) of skis or 1 pair(s). Why would I want to pay extra for 0 pairs of skis? (unless it's sneaky way to up the baggage allowance by 12kgs for £15)

Now I carry boots in my main (suitcase) bag and skis & poles in the skibag which all fits neatly into this system, however I might on occasion want to carry 2 sets of skis in the ski bag and apart from the weight considerations (within the combined 32kgs of course) but that doesn't fit in their 0/1 pairs of skis box.

I did email them about it last year and they referred me to the Carrier's Regs, which you can interpret either way, and of course the actual booking page specifically states a number of pairs of skis - except you can't select 2.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-10-07 9:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
50Kg? For a weekend trip? What the hell were you taking??
snow conditions
D G Orf, FenlandSkier, I've certainly had bags that I know are below the 20kg limit (just), but at Frankfurt and Geneva have weighed in at 21-22kg, even with a ~1kg disparity on the same bag and the same kit on the same return journey. Fortunately Lufthansa are not anal enough to charge 10 euros for that, even though it is clearly above the advertised 20kg, presumably because they know I'll just remove 1 item. Now when I did maths, that makes a miscalibration of 5-10%, so a quick letter to trading standards (at least for UK outward flights) could be in order? There must be some kind of legal weights+measures law for selling of products and services by weight?
snow conditions
I've had problems with easyjet staff at Bristol as well so I sympathise.....
However you must be taking shedloads of stuff to be over the weight limit. I've taken 2 pairs of skis and my bag for a 2 week holiday and still come in under the 32kg weight allowance, and I'm a girl Wink I always take my Ski boots as hand luggage though
snow conditions
lynseyf, Ski boots as hand luggage - now that's another whole can of worms. Is it currently permitted? Lufthansa made us re-pack our boots in our main bags a couple of years ago Evil or Very Mad

anyone know what Easyjet et al allow these days?
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, in general I find they're not very keen on them in boot bags but ok packed in a small suitcase.

The max hand luggage case is 56x45x25, you can easily get a pair of boots in one, packed cuff to toe.
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
lynseyf, Ski boots as hand luggage - now that's another whole can of worms. Is it currently permitted? Lufthansa made us re-pack our boots in our main bags a couple of years ago Evil or Very Mad

You'll get past easyjet check in - the problem is what the airport security staff on duty at the time allow. FWIW, I always pack my boots in hold luggage. I can just manage within the easyjet allowance, but not Ryanair's.
ski holidays
Easyjet are good. The rules have not changed since last season, stop moaning wink and enjoy the (cheap) trip Very Happy
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:

there is a thread on here somewhere where someone confirmed with Luton customer services that boots as hand baggage is accepted by security at Luton. I'm goign to print it off and take it with me. It names teh customer sercvics manager.
snow conditions
Just use Thomsonfly. 25kg normal baggage, plus 25kg for your ski's for £15 each way Wink

Pity they only fly to Salzburg of any use Sad
ski holidays
As for Scale Calibration I don't suppose for one minute Easyjet are responsible for that, it would be the airport authority (BAA, etc.)

If you take your boots in hand luggage you could come up against the security guard from hell, who insists they are dangerous and make you check them in.

On that note, what would happen I wonder?

I guess they would make you go back to the check-in desk, would you then be charged for a second bag?

I would say that you would be given a + 1.5kg swing on you bags. If not when they weigh them stick your foot under the scales arch your ankle up to lift them a little Cool
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
AxsMan wrote:

there is a thread on here somewhere where someone confirmed with Luton customer services that boots as hand baggage is accepted by security at Luton. I'm goign to print it off and take it with me. It names teh customer sercvics manager.

Super. You now just hope the other end likes then as well. Why not just take a sensible amount of kit with you, throw the boots into hold luggage, and cut down the clutter you carry with you?
ski holidays
I can turn a pair of Nordica Easy Move 12's into dangerous weapons, I ski with them!!! Shocked
snow report
achilles, I can easily fit a week's kit in a suitcase, including boots, and still be within weight - I don't do "clutter" (you are a bit tetchy these past couple of days Sad .).

It's more about making sure I have boots on arrival at resort. I have bought them especially because I have 3 trips planned at least this season so want to make sure they arrive with me, not 2 or3 days later if they go astray. If the other end doesn't like it (I assume you mean on the way back) then I'll check them into the hold, no problem.
snow report
holidayloverxx, me too, even with Ryanair we have never been over the allowance.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hang on, Hang on. Two females not taking the kitchen sink Shocked Nah don't believe you Toofy Grin

You get the rest FEDEX'd over wink

Take cover.............................
snow report
blytht, Ok, I'll admit it...my make-up bag takes up most of the weight so I have to cut down on other stuff (I wash my smalls (bigs?) through the week. If only men would do the same rolling eyes)
ski holidays
boots and skis can be put in as sports equipment as two separate bags if it is under the kg allowance for ski equipment
latest report
Ryanair limits are harder. At 15kg you cannot include boots (especially if, like me, you take skins, harscheisen, avalanche transciever, spade, probe, backpack, first-aid kit, water bottle etc and perhaps ski service equipment including file, wax and travelling iron - you'd only have about 5kg left for clothing!!)
Obviously a bootbag does not fit the size specs for handluggage - but I have never had any problem with Easyjet or Ryanair if I take on a moderate size backpack with boots in it, stacked toe to cuff.
Or if you have a double ski bag you can put your skis and boots in it.
snow conditions
I've never heard of anyone being allowed 50kg, its insane. What the hell were you carrying- Bricks?

32kg is also the limit per item, even if you're paying excess due to H&S regulations. Makes sense when you think about it.

It says pretty clearly on the site what the limit is for each item.
ski holidays
snowball, what exactly are the ryanair limits once you've paid the extra for ski/board carrige?
snow conditions
Swirly, you've taken the question right out of my mouth! I've just been looking on their web-site and have been unable to find the answer there.
ski holidays
You can also take a separate boot bag as part of your ski equipment allowance, certainly the case with Easyjet.
snow conditions
Surely since Geneva is at a a higher altitude and hence further from the centre of mass of the Earth, your bags should weigh less there than they would in Bristol? Do Easyjet take this into account? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Nick L, having booked with them yesterday (I'd rather not use them but evryone else is) I assumed I'd be able to fit two boards in and stay under the limit, not quite so sure now although I think two boards with one set of bindings and boots weighs less than two sets of skis.
snow report
Swirly, don't forget your snowshoes. Toofy Grin
snow report
Swirly,

some weights

Flow Infinite Snowboard (1651) Size: 163 cm 4.5 kg
Demon Wheelie TRAVEL Snowboard Bag (2921) Size: 175cm 3.1 kg
Demon 'L Ete' Binding Tool 0.25 kg
Flow Amp-2 Snowboard Bindings (1484) Size: L 3.5 kg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy