Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
im just back from hinterglemm and conditions were positively grim..

noooo off there tomorrow is is that bad?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 of the guys ate some serious mud on the way back down to the goat bar!! rained most of the time, wet snow up top.. the north facing side of the valley was better. didnt even think about heading down to leogang.. great apres tho what with everyone getting up late and getting straight on the pop! .. needs a good dump and to be a good bit colder for a few days.. even then a lot of the 'non main' runs on the sunny side will be thin..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tim000, most of us are on skiis (with varying degrees of competency) and there's a couple of boarders... basically if you see a group of about 20 drunk Irish people in the salvenstadl (prob spellt wrong), thats us!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
most places had alot of rain at lower levels today
kitchbul had snow on top with bad winds
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WALSHIE, will keep a look out for you . we should be easy to spot , i;m 6,4" and 40 my mates 5,4" and 50 . you will prob see him stumbling around or asleep at the bar. he was there 4 weeks ago so all the bar staff will remember him . hope they will serve him Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Howdy from Ischgl.

It was a wild day, our first here, so we went exploring. Started with rain in village, dumping at top of gondola but warm. And foggy. Then got colder. Dumped at least an inch during our 30 min lunch. 2pm, weather cleared, and there was pow everywhere. Had 3 runs off piste in boot deep where the wind had loaded the slopes. It was rather fine stuff.

And since 6pm tonight, its been snowing, often heavy, at village level. I think tomorrow might be a big powder day. And I hate german keyboadz Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have just got back from a week in Mayrhofen. We had an excellent week, generally the snow's been very good. There was the odd sunny day where one or two of the slopes got a bit slushy towards the afternoon. We actually had a fair bit of snow whilst we were there (3 or 4 days on and off). The biggest issue was the wind and there were a few days where some of the lifts shut down. But being such a varied area you could always just go up another mountain.

Went to a few different area and all seemed in good nick. Especially enjoyed Kaltenbach (sp?) and going to the Kristalhutte (sp?) for the deck chairs and water beds!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowing hard in St anton when we left on sunday...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back from Soll on Sat. Sad (first skiing for 17 years! - and i'm only 29!)
Snow required there - none in resort or off-piste on run down.
Had an awesome time though and plenty of skiing on pistes - the snow canons are keeping them in good condition. Smile
Word of advice - skip the red back to resort and take the lift down - even the instructors won't do it due to it being cut up so bad at end of day - or, if you miss last lift down (5pm) then wait until the piste bashers have made it again usually (6ish) and then its fine. "Joe's Office" above the gondola station will easily pass the hour!! Wink
I made the mistake of doing it a couple of times at 5 ish and it's not nice - slush, ice and mounds of soft snow.
Enjoy.
Pilgrim
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One day of blue sky and sunshine in Lech on 9th March and then cloud, wind, flat light pretty much all week. Managed the White Ring on the Tues in cloud and flat light. Pistes littered with nervous people hacking their way through chopped up runs.

Although there were some big dumps during the week, the rising temperatures meant resort level snow vanished quickly. It poured with rain a couple of days solid and was even raining at the top of the mountain last Friday. Unbelieveable. As one local put it "it's like skiing on mashed potatoes". Never known Lech like it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowed in Zell am See yesterday and today and more is forecast for tomorrow, with a drop in temperature. The runs at the top are in excellent condition, and there's the possibility of some off piste, but the lower slopes are very soft. It was raining below about 1000m so runs to resort are very slushy. I skied to the bottom of the Areitbahn at 3.30 and it was very hard work. Still, it's great Easter skiing!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl was amazing today.

Boot to knee deep powder everywhere off piste, superb tree skiing, quite a wonderful powder day. Think I had more face shots today than I,ve had all season so far, and some runs were just ski movie stuff. Got warmer and pow heavier by early afternoon, but kept snowing. Colder temps and hopefully more snow should refresh it neicely tonight, i hope Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nice, Very Happy

I hope the snow keeps up....I'll be skiing there on Sunday snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, the next three days will be very cold in Austria. Winter returns for Easter week. Ski resorts are expecting huge crowd for the holidays.
The major resorts are almost fully booked for the week-end.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesome stuff Very Happy I hope it snows some while I'm off so I can have some of the powder to myself Twisted Evil

2 more days till i finally go skiing!!!
latest report
sunny, cold and great snow in Ischgl today. Still lots of untracked fluff on north facing slopes, and most pistes were a delight.

and it started snowing about 4pm Madeye-Smiley
snow report
friday report from Ischgl - more boot deep, great skiing esp where you could see. visibilily was poor high, but we skied untracked all day again. Was not busy at all - hasn't been all week.

with luck it'll snow all night and clear a little tomorrow for an epic last day.

quite a place, Ischgl!
snow report
Just back from the Ski Amade region, with poor conditions at Flachau on Monday leaving slush below about 1900m, but then overnight the gods dumped about 4-6" of powder across everything! Through the day we spent in Zauchensee, the runs stayed in good condition, though with loose powder over ice it proved "interesting" at times, and it snowed almost continually, sometimes almost white-out conditions. By Wednesday, the legendary Austrian piste basher squads had tidied everything up and left soft corduroy over the whole area, but it was sunny and clear, and we had the perfect day in Wagrain. Thursday saw us at Flachauwinkel, again with snow showers, and 2-3" of new snow over everything. As we left on Thursday night, even Salzburg was seeing snow for the first time in a while.

Hope everyone's having fun in the Easter crowds - we had some runs in Zauchensee and Wagrain where we only met people at the lifts...
ski holidays
Just back from the Zillertal valley it snowed snowed and snowed some more from Sunday till Friday. Powder conditions all thorgh the valley even on piste on Wed was boot deep powder. Some of the off piste was amazing and near chest deep in some places. Not sure what the weather is for next week but if it stays cold and you are going you should be smiling Very Happy

Had a great time and only sad that it might be the last snow trip till the glacier in Aug and real snow in Dec Crying or Very sad
snow report
ousekjarr, keep quiet about Zauchansee. too good to share. Should be fresh snow in cambrdigeshire tomorrow.
snow report
Great conditions in arlberg.
snow conditions
waynos, the fresh powder that is falling every night in Zauchensee is AMAZING - top top top! Very Happy wink Laughing NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
I would like to re-open this thread just to show up Whitegold's excellent weather reporting skills and oh so accurate predictions of the Austrian season...
snow conditions
last day at Ischgl Easter saturday was perfect.

blue skies, thigh deep off-piste everywhere, and pretty light pow. Crowds weren't too bad either - finding untracked all day wasn't difficult at all. Shame we had to leave ...
snow report
Easter Greetings from the Salzburger Sportwelt!

We spent Easter Sunday skiing Eben and Altenmarkt....... practically the only people on the slopes at times ! Amazing!
Conditions at Eben were not so clever so we moved on to Altenmarkt where it was coming down good style and the slopes were in much better condition. It has been dumping non stop. We´ve woken up this morning and it´s still snowing ! Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !

Löök out Zauchensee ,here we come !
ski holidays
burkeyblue, you are right next door - have fun! Very Happy
ski holidays
Good to see Austria getting some freshies.

The season could prove to be a long one for some resorts, from Nov through Apr or even May.
snow conditions
schladming opened 26 oct, due to close 13 april at moment.I assu e it's early due to early easter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schladming Defies Premature Warming ...

Easter Holidays brought snow chaos in Germany with 70-80cm fresh snow in the mountains.
The Western part of Austria received 50-60cm snow, the whole Vorarlberg region celebrated white Easter.
Even in the middle and Eastern parts of the country got 25-35cm fresh snow.

Most of the smaller resorts closed after the holidays, but they plan to reopen for this coming week-end if conditions still remain good.
Larger resorts aim to open until 6 April or 13 April or later.
According to the local met office, the temps in April seem to be higher than average.
latest report
It's been a crazy winter.

Powder days in Oct / Nov & Dec, warm enough in Feb to go mountain biking and cut the grass. Then back to heavy snow at the end of March.
snow conditions
How's Ischgl doing? going there for the first time on Saturday - forecasts look good with plenty already dumped and some blue skies next week? Any first hand observations from this week just gone? snowHead
ski holidays
DB, hmmm...maybe we're going to end up with TWO WINTERS PER YEAR!! Laughing

[wishful thinking icon]

Seriously though, it's been an interesting year snow-wise - in 07 we were skiing in the Amade region for the first week in March, and were skiing on strips of snow between lots of grass pasture, coming down the slopes to have ice-creams sitting by the river, in temps of over 17 degrees C on some days. Same week this year, below zero for a large part of the week with stacks of new snow on three mornings. Tis a fickle thing, the weather...

Not complaining though, we've had a great season, starting in October on the glacier at Kaprun, Hochkonig in January, Zell in early March, finishing yesterday (I think) on Glencoe, unless we sneak off somewhere else!

D
snow report
Lech is reporting a total base of 420cm.
ski holidays
Lifts are open until 1st May in Obertauern and they have depths of 165 cm at village level and 265 cms on the mountain and it's been snowing for the last 4 days and is continuing to the end of this week as far as we can tell. We are back there on 6th April for a last minute blast at very much reduced hotel and airline costs, in what should be much better conditions than in Feb when we were sunbathing in +7 degrees and skiing on soft stuff in the afternoons, although there was plenty of it and it was still perfect higher up.
snow report
When I left Radstadt and flangesax and family yesterday morning it was still snowing and all the way to Salzburg airport. Thanks to you and your family for great hospitality and help - much appreciated. As burkeyblue says Altenmarkt snow was great - my problem was learning to cope with lashings of the stuff Madeye-Smiley Even at 2pm on Monday wasn't too like porridge right down by the chair lift. And there were many times with no one else in sight. Anyone there now has great conditions and no queues Little Angel
latest report
60 cm fresh snow in Innsbruck area in the last 24 hours!
The cold front, which lasts for 10 days, brought 160 cm fresh snow in Tirol so far.
According to the local met office, temps get higher for the rest of the week, but it is just temporary, another cold front arrives next week with 20 cm fresh snow.
snow conditions
Am currently out in Radstadt albeit not at flangesax's place. Skied Zauchensee today. Waist deep powder in abundance and more snow than I have seen anywhere else this season (this is my 8th week)! Temperatures holding up (or is that down?) fairly well although at the bottom of the mountain there were some springlike conditions appearing. That said the conditions are truly amazing and should ensure a bumper end to the season!! If possible get in amongst it!!

JC
snow conditions
Just got back from 5 days' skking at Saalbach - Hinterglemm and I can report that conditins are excellent. Last week was just one powder day after another. For an antiquated piste skier, it was quite an experience to be running into 20-30cm of new snow over everything each morning. I was even making those snakey curved tracks through the new snow and off-piste (where I was venturing for the first time ever, thanks to new snowHead and ski instructor pessi, ) offered enough to bury some of the smaller students I was skiing with. Never caught my skis in the branches of a tree before! Not sure how long it will last, but the past week has been exceptional.

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Very Happy
latest report
Just a few pics from last Saturday's ski tour (eastern Austria). It had warmed up a bit since easter weekend and then refroze so conditions were slightly crusty up top and cruddy lower down ......

More snow forecast this week snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy