Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
I think it is time to start this usual thread.

The four hills of Schladming look very promising at the moment.

Planai opens on 26 October. This is an important date from marketing point of view, this Friday is a national holiday in Austria.
A three-day skiing in non-glacier resorts in Austria at the end of October seems to be unbelievable.
Planai opens the whole upper section with four lifts.

Hochwurzen is also ready for business, but they are hosting racing teams only.

Last year Reiteralm was the first resort to open on 11 November. They start their operation tomorrow, but it is open for the members of the Austrian alpine team only. Some skiers practice here for the first WC race which is held on Solden glacier this week-end.
Reiteralm is also open to public from Friday.

Hauser Kaibling looks to open on Friday as well. The upper part and the connecting slopes are covered with snow, now they are blasting the guns around the middle stations.

These four hills plan to stay open on week-ends only except for All Saints' Day which maybe a 4-day-holiday on the slopes if the conditions remain favourable.

News for the Obertauern fans. The local tourist office has announced that in spite of the fact that everything is given for a very early start, they will not open earlier than 16 November.

They are busy grooming in Hochkar (one hour from Vienna) 70cm fresh snow so far, and it is still snowing, 100cm expected for tomorrow.
It is not decided yet whether they open this week-end.

Other Austrian resorts are preparing for the coming long weekend. I will inform you as soon as I get the news.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for this kerekip! As I'm going out twice to Austria next season, I'll look forward to updates! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good one Very Happy , now what will it be like at Innsbruck early Feb wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly late (from 20.10.07) but there is a German report with lots of pictures from the Pitztaler Glacier here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zell am see looks better than at any time last year already!

http://www.schmitten.at/en/service/panorama-cams/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Daily pass for Planai and Reiteralm is 33,50 euros from 26 October.
Interesting, it is too early for Ski amadé Pass or Salzburg Super Ski Pass. Both are valid from 10 November.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It seems that this year's winner is Turracher Hohe. This is a small resort with an excellent snow record and modern chair lifts in the Karnten region.
Tomorrow they start the season with one lift and the pistes close to the operating lift.
It is the first time in the resort's history they start a season as early as October.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is the week of miracle in Eastern Austria. Lackenhof am Ötscher also opens tomorrow. Lackenhof (810-1893m) is a small resort about one hour ride from Vienna.
They reported 130cm snow on the top and 50cm at the bottom.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crazy Neutral Earliest opening for a non-glacier resort then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kerekip wrote:
This is the week of miracle in Eastern Austria. Lackenhof am Ötscher also opens tomorrow. Lackenhof (810-1893m) is a small resort about one hour ride from Vienna.

Thanks for that, I can be there in less than 2 hours in the car. Laughing snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
kerekip wrote:

Thanks for that, I can be there in less than 2 hours in the car. Laughing snowHead snowHead

Or wait another week. Hochkar opens on 2 November. It is even closer to Vienna. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The forecast seams to be going from one extreme to the next. I've been watching the Bad Gastein forecast on Metcheck - yesterday it said a warm weekend with no snow/rain then the temps would drop and more snow. Today it says the temps will stay up and it'll rain next week. Puzzled

What is the forecast and where's the best Austrian forecast on the net?

Cheers

PS - kerekip, you're doing another grand job with the reports! Leaving where you left off last winter. snowHead wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kersh wrote:
The forecast seams to be going from one extreme to the next. I've been watching the Bad Gastein forecast on Metcheck - yesterday it said a warm weekend with no snow/rain then the temps would drop and more snow. Today it says the temps will stay up and it'll rain next week. Puzzled

What is the forecast and where's the best Austrian forecast on the net?

Cheers

PS - kerekip, you're doing another grand job with the reports! Leaving where you left off last winter. snowHead wink

Now that the ground / air is cold, it is often unpredictable as to what the weather will do in any particular locality. It could be snowing on one side of the mountain and rain in the next.

Best thing to do is to look out the window or at the webcam and hope .......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh, this forecast makes better reading as of 25 oct 2007 15:00 BST

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/bad-gastein/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lackenhof website is predicting 0 deg over night and up to 8 deg during the day for tomorrow Sad
Tomorrow is a bank holiday in Austria so I might just pop down there for the morning and see how it holds up. Tickets are free for children up to 15 years of age and half price for adults.

http://www.lackenhof.at/default.asp?medium=LAGA&sprache=d&id=48453&tt=LAGA_PORTAL
snow conditions
kerekip wrote:
Or wait another week. Hochkar opens on 2 November. It is even closer to Vienna. Smile

I'm on the west side and pass Lackenhof to get to Hochkar. There isn't much in it though, besides I want to ski NOW! snowHead
ski holidays
waynos, cheers mate.
latest report
pics and report tomorrow afternoon then please DB Very Happy
snow conditions
Congratulations Turracher Höhe! And great news for all of eastern Austria.
ski holidays
Hey what happened? Lackenhof just lost 60cm of snow, down to 70cm now.
snow report
My mate's getting ready for a weekend of turns at Planai. I am jealous.
ski holidays
Schladming (Planai) today:

Today is a national holiday in Austria:

latest report
Wow! Kerekip it's so lovely to see pics of skiing in Schladders this early on. I remember the year I lived in Austria, October was definitely autumn not winter, why am I not there this year!!

Did you take these?

D
snow report
Deliaskis wrote:
Did you take these?

Unfortunately, not. These are from the official site of the ski resort.
ski holidays
And the next hill to Planai is Reiteralm:

The Austrian Alpine Ski Team trained here yesterday:
snow report
Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock

I want to be there Shocked
ski holidays
Brilliant pics!!! snowHead snowHead Likewise people, I just want to be there. Just bought tickets for my hols ... in Feb. Shocked
snow report
More pictures from the Planai Website:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looks class! snowHead
ski holidays
Those pictures are realy wetting the appitite for next years trip.

I want to go now. Twisted Evil
snow report
Skied Lackenhof today. Good conditions for October, nice to get the first few hours in. Ticket price was under 15€ (less than a tener) for the day. It did warm up as expected, a bit wet mashed potatoes after lunch.

There's another Austrian Bank Holiday on Nov 2nd and Hochkar plans to open next week. http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/niederoesterreich/hochkar/

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but the Austrian weather forecast for next week is warm and wet Sad so if anybody is thinking of coming over I'd aim high ( ie. Kaprun) as most other resorts have rain forecast.
http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/?lang=de
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/kaernten/grossglockner/
latest report
OMG - German report with loads of great pictures here
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Crazy Neutral Earliest opening for a non-glacier resort then?

That award probably goes to Ruka in Northern Finland.

It opened around Oct 21 2007:

http://skirebel.com/magazine/archives/1136
snow report
Whitegold, I think you'll find that the ski season started in the southern hemisphere about 5 months ago ..... you know what we mean. rolling eyes
ski holidays
The snow in Austria has disappeared almost as fast as it arrived.

Most slopes below roughly 1500 meters are green again today Sad
snow conditions
Whitegold, yes, truly terrible. Because, as you can see, on all these pics from yesterday (below 2000m!), there is no snow...

BTW, all these pictures are not mine (oh, how i wish they were NehNeh Crying or Very sad ), but are taken from this report
snow report
It is melting fast today. And it will get warmer over the next couple days. Lech, at 1400m, is already green again.

There was a similar situation in Vermont last year. It hoofed it down in late Oct, then it melted, and it stayed green until almost Dec.
snow conditions
GFS models, indicate a cool down soon too:
snow conditions
It is looking like there will be little or no snow for atleast the next couple weeks.
snow report
Snows return to Austria's 'doomed' ski resorts
Some paragraphs of this article from the Telegraph are not really true ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy