Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
Hochkar has put it's early opening back to mid November. (Early December is typical).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
Hochkar has put it's early opening back to mid November. (Early December is typical).

Did they open last weekend for the holiday at all DB?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems the Ski Club website thinks snow is due over Austria over the next few days. Anyone know how accurate this forecast is? This was published yesterday

Austria
More snow is expected on Tuesday at most of the reported Austrian resorts. Our reported snow depth at the Dachstein Glacier (190cm) has changed due to a revised measurement from the resort on Monday.

41km of pistes are open for snowsports at Hintertux (80cm) on Monday with cloudy skies overhead.

It is sunny at both Kaprun (23/93cm) and the Molltal Glacier (160cm) on Monday with snow expected on Tuesday.

The weather is changeable at Kaunertal (50cm) on Monday with snow showers in the evening. Sunshine is forecast for Tuesday, remaining until the weekend.

There are 32km of open pistes at Sölden (80cm) on Monday.

The Stubai Glacier (10/80cm) offers 26km of open pistes with skiing from 2600m on Monday. Tuesday’s weather is snowy with the sky clearing by Wednesday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kerekip wrote:
Snows return to Austria's 'doomed' ski resorts
Some paragraphs of this article from the Telegraph are not really true ...

Good spot. Makes a pleasant change from the normal doom and gloom (I await a post from whitegold to redress the balance).

I wonder if the mentioned "economic experts" are the same sort of financial analyst that try and predict the stock markets, but for all their expensive and impressive sounding analysis are no better than a monkey making random stock selections.

The GFS model above looks quite encouraging (somewhere near bad gastein?) - though more than a couple of days is a long range forecast, so who knows.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 30-10-07 10:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am sure i read something from whitegold about the word "snow" being deleted from the dictionary!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
DB wrote:

Did they open last weekend for the holiday at all DB?

No, they were getting ready for this long weekend ahead but the high winds blew a lot of the snow away. I also heard that Lackenhof didn't stay open all of last weekend because of high winds.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 30-10-07 10:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos wrote:
I wonder if the mentioned "economic experts" are the same sort of financial analyst that try and predict the stock markets, but for all their expensive and impressive sounding analysis are no better than a monkey making random stock selections.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Austrian winter is like an Alfa Romeo. It looks good when it's here but often doesn't arrive without starting problems. Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
waynos wrote:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Laughing

all so very true.. but the true experts have that precious commodity of 'inside information' to make them look good.. bit tricky getting that one wit hthe weather!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
all so very true.. but the true experts have that precious commodity of 'inside information' to make them look good.. bit tricky getting that one with the weather!!

I for one am thankfull for all the market guru's who sell their "how to make it rich" type books for 11.99 when they could just use the information themselves to become mega rich. Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i wanted to sell a "how to get rich book', which would consist of 300 blank pages and the last one saying 'sell an empty book for £25'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Current mountain temps are looking good in the West and middle Austria
http://wetter.orf.at/bwx?tmp=2747

Some reports are predicting warm weather, some cold. Some predict snow, some rain. I haven't got a dam clue but I wish I could sell a book about it for 11.99.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
German report with lots of good pictures from the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier here

Should we have the PSB in Austria next year? Puzzled Laughing NehNeh rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hinterux has quite a lot of pistes open Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schladming is still looking good. Today's pic:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 3-11-07 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad snowHead
latest report
amzing....... All ski you can keep before december (except glaciers...) is a "bonus" ski.... so always nice.
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen wrote:
I am sure i read something from whitegold about the word "snow" being deleted from the dictionary!!!

This is wholly untrue.

No such statement was made.

Please post more carefully in the future.
snow report
Today's pics from Schladming:

ski holidays
waynos wrote:
kerekip wrote:
Snows return to Austria's 'doomed' ski resorts
Some paragraphs of this article from the Telegraph are not really true ...

Good spot. Makes a pleasant change from the normal doom and gloom (I await a post from whitegold to redress the balance).

The GFS model above looks quite encouraging (somewhere near bad gastein?) - though more than a couple of days is a long range forecast, so who knows.

Most of Austria is green again below 2000 meters.

Temps have been way above-average this week. It is around 10c at 1500 meters today.

The early Oct snow was a false dawn.

The forecast calls for temps to fall next week. But there is only modest snow in the models for the next 3 weeks. Some places below 1800 meters may even see some rain.

Having said that, there are pockets of neige.

Schladming has impressive skiing right down to 1350 meters today (although it is 11c and melting fast). If they can hang on in there until the temps fall next weekend, then Schladming may register an epic Oct-to-Apr season.
ski holidays
Six non-glacier resorts opened at the end of October in Austria. Four of them (Feuerkogel, Ötscher, Hinterstoder, and Turracherhöhe) had entirely natural snow. As soon as it melted they needed to close. All of them had about 100cm or more snow, similar to the epic snow in October 1958.

Two Schladming resorts (Planai and Reiteralm) had the latest technology to produce a huge amount of artificial snow and they mixed it with the natural snow which was less than in the resorts mentioned above. The last time Schladming opened in October was in 1974.

The end of October is a three-day-holiday in Austria, marketing issues played their roles.

Some resorts still have the snow (Obertauern, or Hochkar), but they found it unwise to open when the hotels nearby are empty and they are not able to employ their usual staff so soon.

Local Met Office reports that September and October was colder in Austria than a year ago.

The Finnish resort Levi has had problem with mild temps for weeks. Next week-end the WC is expected to held there. FIS are considering to cancel the race. Schladming has already applied for organizing the race if it does not get better in Levi. Decision on the race is expected tomorrow.
snow report
Hi snowheads, I tried to post from a chairlift today but it didn't work! Anyway, today was a perfect skiing day on the kitzsteinhorn glacier, beautiful sun all day and great snow. Everybody had the same idea though as it was pretty busy.

This is the earliest I have ever skied, so I look like the smiley face which I can't get from my blackberry.

Also my first ever completely alone skiday, and it was surprisingly enjoyable! Better not tell the OH that though...

Happy skiing to anyone else who is catching some early snow.

D
snow report
Kitzsteinhorn 02/11 - 03/11:

taken from here

The report states that more pictures will come Very Happy
snow report
Deliaskis, do you recognise yourself anywhere in the pic? Smile
snow report
I see all the snow has vanished from Zell am see in the background though!
snow conditions
Should be some fresh snow coming from tuesday onwards this week all over austria.
latest report
If anyone is interested, there are now more pictures from the Kitzsteinhorn report up here

ski holidays
Now, it is official.
Quote:
The Alpine skiing World Cup competition in Levi, Finland has been canceled due to the weather.

The men and women's slalom — scheduled for next weekend — were canceled because of poor snow conditions and unfavorable forecasts, the International Ski Federation said in a statement on Sunday.

The federation said it was looking at a possible alternative venue in Austria.

It may mean another race in Austria which is not available for the TV viewers outside Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pitztal 1st and 2nd of November...

http://youtube.com/v/2TOemVFLAhA

This is a really good video! I really wish i was out there!!!
latest report
http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/UserFiles/stubaiergletscher/Image/Wetter/prognose04.11.2007.pdf

Snow expected in stubai from tuesday-thursday with nice winter conditions expected on the weekend.
ski holidays
Huge crowd appeared on the Tyrolian and other Austrian glaciers this week-end.

Stubai had 11,000 visitors every day from Thursday to Saturday which is very close to the all time record.
Needed to wait 30-60 min before the lifts.

Hintertux, Molltal, Kaprun also received a good crowd, only Pitztal reported normal attendance.
snow report
kerekip, Laughing I was having a good look but no I cannot see myself. Wish I could! Had a great day though, and skied the Steilhang from the top station for the first time!

D
ski holidays
Saw this link in another thread... holy crap Neutral

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/reiteralm-bergbahnen
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, yes there's no snow in Zell at the moment, and yesterday's rain put paid to quite a lot of the stuff that was lingering on Schmittenhohe. However, temperatures are I think about what is expected this time of year - car was iced up Thurs-Sat mornings last week.

Looks like nice new snow on its way though snowHead

D
snow conditions
Quote:

Mattmulkeen, yes there's no snow in Zell at the moment, and yesterday's rain put paid to quite a lot of the stuff that was lingering on Schmittenhohe. However, temperatures are I think about what is expected this time of year - car was iced up Thurs-Sat mornings last week.

Looks like nice new snow on its way though

Good - had a great time in Zell last christmas - the people there deserve lots of snow!!!!
latest report
The snow's falling again across Austria at the moment. I've just checked the cameras in Bad Gastein and there are some pretty big snowflakes falling. Looks great!! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Map with ski resorts and weather (in German)
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/
snow report
DB, cheers, looks great for most areas!!!
snow conditions
Wonder if whitegold is eating his hat now...
ski holidays
Quote:

Wonder if whitegold is eating his hat now...

Nope, he has popped up on my French 07/08 thread to make me miserable wink

It wont work

snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy