Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 07/08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
there is snow forecast in some of the models for next week Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and not in others. MWIS is predicting mild and wet. Lets hope he is wrong.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like a big dump tomorrow
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, maybe Confused Don't see it myself - steady accumulation over the next week is my guess Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Glenshee is obviously getting some, hope it's drifting in the right places, more forecast tomorrow and over the weekend when the west should start faring better ....

http://saisscairngorms.blogspot.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Why is the north of the uk, ie scotland so hit and miss with snowfall, compared to the alps its alot futher north. Something which has always puzzled me- perhaps you can shed some light on the matter?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
harrymac,

Not high enough, so not cold enough. It certainlys gets enough precipatation.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
harrymac, as johnboy says, not high enough, and we are more exposed to the sea and the pesky gulf stream.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
harrymac, because edinburgh releases so much methane, something to do with the amount of sh*t that comes out of there. Believe it or not we are on the same latitude as Labrador in Canada (did an English higher close reading on it) the sea freezes in winter and theyre are alot of icebergs right into summer. In 1963 there was a winter where the temperature averaged 0.63 degrees celcius-my father was telling me they even drove the post van OVER loch lomond-you would not have caught me doing that! My mother reflected that they had "ice slides in the play ground for WEEKS" Anyhoo this is because of the Gulf Stream-West is generally warmer than Eastern and Central Scotland as Atlantic temps tend to be warmer. Wikipedia informs me that some of the highlands can average up to 105 days of snow a year although istead of landing on them it blows past. Our wind prevails from the south-west, bringing warm, wet air from the Atlantic resulting in rain-not very often snow. In saying that there was alot of snow at sea level today in Helensburgh and more forcast. Hope that was useful-feel free to proof read and point out errors because i haven't!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, brian, Rossfra8, Thank you.How does whistler get so much snow then. Its right on the coast?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, also if you have time, off to valmeinier on the 8th, iv had the gfs graph off another snowhead and its bonkers- loads of spikes and precip- taking my four year old for his first turns- rain or snow at 1800m and how reliable as were so close now are these graphs. Puzzled Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
harrymac, Because they get massive storms coming in off the pacific, the brew in the paciffic then track up the coast and filter out. At sea level ie, vancouver, this falls mostly as rain, but further up at whistler (altitude something like 600m) it tends to turn to snow. Rain at villiage level is not uncommon right enough.

" High coastal mountains force the uplift and cooling of the moist pacific air masses, leading to heavy precipitation on the windward slopes. Whistler is here because it precips. Winter season precipitation falls mainly in the form of rain in Vancouver and normally as snow in Whistler. Whistler Valley is actually a sub valley of the main predominant flow. The Callaghan valley site of the 2010 nordic events recieves about 2/3 of the total precip. Whistler recieves about a third of that. ie. We get 40cm of fresh in Whistler, and up there they get 120cm. "

Some crafty googling!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rossfra8, excellent service. I thank you Madeye-Smiley Feel free to answer my other question ab the likelehood of snow at valmeinier next week Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
harrymac, do your own googling snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
harrymac -- Southwest Canada, Northwest USA and Northern Japan often get perfect storms. As Rossfra8 says, the warm, rainy Pacific bangs into frigid Arctic winds, leading to megasnowfalls.
snow report
 brian
brian
Whistler and Blackcomb mountains are both about double the height of the top of Cairngorm. If we had a few 2000m+ mountains we'd have fantastic skiing. (Although admittedly the wind might be a tiny issue wink ).
snow report
 brian
brian
Anyway, the Lecht opened today Very Happy ... and then the road blocked and they had to shut again Sad

Looking good for more snow over the weekend and into next week.
latest report
brian, hows edinburgh? i drove home through powder snow, travelling very slowly (sea level)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, nothing down here in Leith at sea level. Probably still snowy at home in Balerno (about 200m), it was powdery last night but going a wee bit slushy this morning. Better than any snow we had last year though. The pentlands look majestic !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, sounds like Hillend might be fun! Toofy Grin

That is if ye cannae get up to Glenshee, The Lecht etc. etc. Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Massive big lumps of snow all over the radar this evening Very Happy

If they can get the roads open tomorrow, Glenshee, Lecht and Cairngorm all plan to open ! snowHead

Weather still looking favourable right through next week with hints of something really special to follow later in the month wink
snow report
brian wrote:
Weather still looking favourable right through next week with hints of something really special to follow later in the month wink

Oooh really, point us in the right direction then please Toofy Grin

I can feel a Scottish weekend coming on snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga wrote:

Me too,Thinking about next weekend Little Angel
latest report
It was all about the Buzzard side of the Lecht today!

Buzzard side is FANTASTIC. Main side of the hill typically early-season, but there's still a good cover by the fences with Eagle2 and Snowy Owl in particular.

Unfortunately they only managed to open the Buzzard tow early afternoon as it had mechanical problems earlier on, but it was well worth the wait.

Link to photos:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/lt/winter200708/08jan5/

Sample photo, looking towards the Buzzard. Easy to see why it's so good Very Happy

Over and out.
latest report
firstracks,

Excellent. Looks pretty quiet too
snow report
Topsmoke wrote:
roga wrote:

Where you thinking of heading?
latest report
The Tiger is officially opening at Glenshee... who'll get bitten first??
snow report
roga wrote:
Topsmoke wrote:
roga wrote:

Where you thinking of heading?

Thinking depart Fri eve late head to Nevis maybe for sat,with b+b sat night Insh hall Lodge at Kincraig 7 miles south of Aviemore then Cairngorm Sun before home Sun evening.Interested Roga or anyone else ? wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firstracks, Thanks for posting pics of one of my fave places to ski - great to see it looking so good. Bit far for me to go though! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Topsmoke wrote:
Thinking depart Fri eve late head to Nevis maybe for sat,with b+b sat night Insh hall Lodge at Kincraig 7 miles south of Aviemore then Cairngorm Sun before home Sun evening.Interested Roga or anyone else ? wink

YUP!

If you wanna do a car share and share costs or something like that I'm up for it snowHead

One thing I'll say is at the moment the best conditions sem to be at The Lecht and Glenshee but there's more snow forecast so it'll change (as ever in Scotland LOL!)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Nevis open now too, summit and full length of the goose Very Happy Only Glencoe yet to offer some skiing and it's looking good for them to open next weekend.

Pic from Nevis website:

latest report
oooo decisions decisions!
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Topsmoke wrote:

YUP!

If you wanna do a car share and share costs or something like that I'm up for it snowHead

One thing I'll say is at the moment the best conditions sem to be at The Lecht and Glenshee but there's more snow forecast so it'll change (as ever in Scotland LOL!)

I can normaly be found at Nevis if it's open and not blowing a hooly. (I'm going tomorrow Very Happy )
However I am planing an overnight trip to Glenshee + Lecht some time this season and they seem to have the best snow as of now rolling eyes but more snow is forecast this week for the west wink

edit: damn repiled to wrong post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 6-01-08 21:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just back from Glenshee. Epic day - blue skies, no wind and lots of snow . Great snow cover on tiger, and between between tiger and cairnwell tows, where you can really let rip. Best early Jan cover I've seen at Glenshee for 20+ years.

Crowds not too bad, although chair queues were much longer than drag lift queues. 15 min queue on tiger chair, but no queue at all on Tom Dearg, and 5 min queues on Sunnyside pomas.

Staff were great as usual - everything ran like clockwork. Chatted to ski patroller who reckoned Meall Odhar would be opening next day or two. Also spotted a piste basher at work on the lift track late afternoon.

More snow forecast for tonight, Monday and Tuesday. I need to go now, I feel a mid-week sickie coming on Very Happy
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Topsmoke wrote:

YUP!

Sounds good too me roga will pm you Cool

Regards Mark
latest report
markymark,

Excellent. Good to see Glenshee doing well
ski holidays
Topsmoke wrote:
Sounds good too me roga will pm you Cool

Regards Mark

Cool, thanks Mark snowHead
snow report
im thinkin about going to the shee! Very Happy Skullie
ski holidays
Another bluebird day at Glenshee yesterday:

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=398

Big dump of snow forecast for this evening and tomorrow.
ski holidays
Do we think the snow will hold out till the weekend???? I want to go to Glenshee. I want to go now, I want to go now, I want to go now, but I have meetings today wed and thursday at work. No fair! Could try and squeeze a day off on Friday at a push.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy