Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 07/08

brian
brian
Thought it was time to kick off the domestic thread, as GFS has begun to churn out the first fantasy charts of the new season Very Happy wink

In fact, fantasy aside, the reliable timeframe next week has produced a Scandi high in just the right spot for classic Eastern Scottish conditions. Unfortunately, it's not nearly cold enough across the North Sea yet for anything interesting to happen but let's hope it's a good omen for the season ahead. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
winterhighland has added 2 new webcams Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winterhighland is mentioning some interesting runs that the GFS is throwing up pointing at a cold spell mid month....

Do you concur Brian???
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, there have been quite a few tasty fantasy scenarios recently, but they've never amounted to any more than fantasy. Currently we have this enticing prospect at T+192 (it actually does some even lovelier things towards the end but let's try and stay on the brink of reality) ....

However, bitter experience tells me that GFS often seems to position blocking highs too far to the west, and what we actually end up with is more like the ECM currently shows ...

which would be temporarily cold but mostly dry, and with that annoying ridge sticking out over the alps to keep them dry too Sad

So, plenty of interesting things to look at but none sticking with the kind of consistency or believability that would have me getting excited ... yet.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Things starting to look interesting Smile GFS and ECM have now been in agreement for a few runs for a northerly outbreak towards the end of next week (bit of very nice potential after that too).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian wrote:
Things starting to look interesting Smile GFS and ECM have now been in agreement for a few runs for a northerly outbreak towards the end of next week (bit of very nice potential after that too).

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Thanks brian, keep us posted.

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:

Does that = cold weather & precipitation or just cold weather????
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK this is all well and good but what does it all mean?!? I want to know the minute decent snow falls any where on a big hil in scotland! So I can get ready to SKIIII. Very Happy Haven't been Skiing for 2yrs use to go to France every year but then Mummy and Daddy had the cheek to stop paying for my holidays Mad so Scotland at the moment is looking like the only feasible option! snowHead But the SCottish SKi scence seems to be improving alot so I am really looking forward to it!

So as you all seem pretty clued up on the subject do you know any good sources to find out when the snow starts to fall? At the moment I am signed up to every alert service email and text I can find but if you know of any good ones that would be helpful....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did that woman end up skiing in October?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Konrad565 wrote:
OK this is all well and good but what does it all mean?!? I want to know the minute decent snow falls any where on a big hil in scotland! So I can get ready to SKIIII. Very Happy Haven't been Skiing for 2yrs use to go to France every year but then Mummy and Daddy had the cheek to stop paying for my holidays Mad so Scotland at the moment is looking like the only feasible option! snowHead But the SCottish SKi scence seems to be improving alot so I am really looking forward to it!

So as you all seem pretty clued up on the subject do you know any good sources to find out when the snow starts to fall? At the moment I am signed up to every alert service email and text I can find but if you know of any good ones that would be helpful....

This is a good place to visit for up to date info, and also "reports from the hill"

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Konrad565, welcome to snowHead s.

Should see some white stuff on the hills tomorrow (or at least blowing past the hills at 150mph !) Very Happy

Model output has been chopping and changing for next week, some truly dreadful charts this morning had me greeting into my keyboard but check this little beauty out. Only a week away, a bona fide northern block with a southerly tracking low bringing a snow fest ! btw, this is the sort of weather that brought the cool, wet summer so may (here's hoping) be part of an extended pattern. If it does this in January the country would grind to a very snowy halt snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the friendly welcome and thanks for the explanation I will keep an eye on things to come and hopefully get on to a slope somewhere asap!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Fingers crossed.

Konrad565, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a dusting in Glencoe.

a top camera at Cairngorm looking iced up..

snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
But the lady camera isn't, and doesn't show much ( http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/ ) just a dusting.
snow report
lady camera now shutdown for today Sad

Quote from Winterhighland "Should warn you that the system is programmed to automatically shut down about 2.30 this afternoon, this was a pre-planned test to check that the system can restart itself and was programmed in 10 days ago before the forecast was known as a possible trip to the hill was planned for this weekend"
latest report
 brian
brian
Plenty of showers steaming in, you would think Nevis must be getting quite a bit, but most of it's probably blowing straight on past:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html
snow report
Skiing at glencoe sunday any1? haha:D
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm guessing this was taken just after Jamie got home from school today.

Been a wild day here we,ve had lots of wind and a little sleet/hail but has only stuck above 2000ft
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's snowing in Aviemore and on the Drumochter snowHead

Shove that where the sun don't shine Scotland on Sunday Twisted Evil
snow report
Light dusting on the Lady cam this morning ( http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/ ) and no problems with icing. So it looks like a good location at the moment. Have to see waht its like when the snow comes from a different direction though.
snow report
What odds on some sliding being around the corner?

nicked from winterhighland.com....

Latest MWIS forecast for tomorrow:

Widespread snow Cairngorms NP
Heavy overnight rain will turn to snow on the Munros by dawn. Snow
will continue to fall to an increasingly low level through the day, with
blizzards and persistent whiteout conditions most of daylight hours in
Cairngorms NP. Snow will become very patchy west of A9.

from cairngorm website

Weather forecast
Forecast for Thursday: Heavy overnight rain turning to snow by dawn. Blizzards and persistent whiteout conditions throughout the day. Cloud base varying from 450/600m to 550/750m. Temperature at 900m: -1C, dropping to -5C feeling as cold as -25C directly in the wind. Wind: N 40-50mph gusts 55-70mph
ski holidays
Last time I looked at the ptarmigan cam there was still a thin layer of snow visible so, so far the precipitation has been falling as sleet or snow not rain at the top of Cairngorm. Have to wait and see how things pan out, but saturday may be mild, wet and windy before it cools down again on Sunday. H11LLY has been skiing again on the present snow though Very Happy

see http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,80449,page=2

links to a couple of the pictures there are more in Helen's post on winterhighland
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2741
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2745
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, Nice pictures Very Happy

snowHead
snow report
Snow down to the car park on the new webcams Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, not the car park, those cams are on the SSC hut which is just above the bottom of the white lady t-bar. Although having said that, if it's -1.1 C there, it will be snowing at the car park. snowHead

Nice chunky flakes too !
latest report
 brian
brian
Snowing at the Lecht as well ...

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers Brian, I thought the hut was lower down... Embarassed
snow conditions
The new weather station is located at or close to the SSC hut at midstation level (AFAIK) and is looking for a sponsor. Looks quite promising for the start of a base to build. Not suer I want to drive over on Sunday though. I'm hoping we might get a decent amount of snow down to a lower level so i could get some skiing in at the Clash, which for me is a lot closer, but I don't think its going to happen.

Dave
ski holidays
Cairngorms look great snowHead
ski holidays
two years agao after a big dump of snow in november , they opened up the funicular only , even though it was during the annual maintainance period , it was top to bottom skiing with major leg burn , great fun, anybody any idea if they will open up this weekend , the roads are currently closed. got to be a good omen
snow report
I know it's a "how long is a pice of string" question but.....

Is there likely to be any/some/much Scottish skiing over Christmas/New Year?? I'm planning ob heading up North and am trying to decide whether to hope to ski or plan to walk the WHW.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, i reckon its a hit or miss, should you decide skiing, there will be no snow, and walking-well you will be walking in the snow!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B, I would say you'd be lucky to get "much" but unlucky not to get "some". Best bet is going to be Cairngorm because they have skiing in their top basin above 3000 feet and not needing any surface uplift to get up to it. Otoh, you might strike lucky and get full cover everywhere. You're approximately a month too early to plan for skiing in Scotland at Xmas Confused wink
ski holidays
Wow, all looking very good - roads closed due to snow and blizzard conditions! snowHead
ski holidays
so now the snow will be excellent we just wont be able to get at it?!
ski holidays
cant beleive it , Cairngorm mountain have just sent out there weekly email , great snow conditions at the top , but they are not going to open this weekend.
snow conditions
RobCrock wrote:
cant beleive it , Cairngorm mountain have just sent out there weekly email , great snow conditions at the top , but they are not going to open this weekend.

...because the funicular is still in it's maintenance window, so there no uplift is available!
latest report
^ and if all they hadn't decided to place all their eggs in the one basket and the chairs up the Ciste were operational there'd be no problem!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy