Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much has your ski gear changed over the summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
marmalade, they don't need 90% of the cr@p they buy, and it doesn't make them better skiers either. Don't know why they don't spend the dosh on extra ski time instead.

What "extra skiing time"???

I seem to recall some of them (claimed, at least) ski 10 weeks (70 days) or more a season!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, That isn't anywhere near a full season.

I can't see what is wrong with getting used to one pair of skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:

The OCD doesn't get channelled into harmless ol' skiing and spills over into daily life? :oops:
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmalade wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad

You lot have too much money! You should start a charity for under-priviledged obsessives like me...

All Joking aside..............
This season, I have purchased complete ski gear for two kids who are in tough situations.
I also sponsor a ski program at a little school that gets kids on the slopes for $10.00/lift ticket and ski rental.
I take 14 kids in that program 4 times a year, and get FREE skiing for an attending parent, to try and get the moms and dads involved. Most of these 14 kids/parents, would never be exposed to skiing at all if it were not for this affordable program.

If you're serious about needing ski gear and could use some help, pm me, I'll see what I can do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
marmalade, they don't need 90% of the cr@p they buy, and it doesn't make them better skiers either. Don't know why they don't spend the dosh on extra ski time instead.

or some lessons Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:

gets damn close in OZ.... about the best you can do with a full time - non resort -job....

Season - nominal start June long weekend(around 9-13).... no snow most seasons except a puddle of man made on the beginner hill (3-5degrees IIRC).... Real start (actual snow likely to be there) is usually closer to Mid-July....

Nominal close - October long weekend(first weekend in october)... you can usually get backcountry turns after this but you are going to have to earn them!!! In resort you will be skiing real slush(as opposed to the daily after 11am slush) from mid-late september most years (and I mean SLUSH... sticky goopy stuff that grabs your skis not snow with lots of water in it.... plenty clear patches(not water- clear stuff that still has some crystal structure but has so much water in it it is clearish)... and PLENTY of mud/grass/bushes... and you had better be able to transition onto the first 2 because you will have no choice at times... also hopping creeks is a handy skill to learn...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:

What's "a full season" got to do with it? Puzzled

I can't see what is so "right" with getting used to one pair of skis either. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, me neither.... most of my seasons I have had one pair of skis and often they were purchased second hand and then on sold... I did have a pair of tele skis as well for a couple of seasons because it was a bit tricky swapping bindings Wink

Currently I do have a few pairs of skis at my disposal... but some will be sold or are on their way to a better place...(note that there are even uses for single skis as single track skiers can use these)...

I'll probably always have a couple of pairs now... GS race skis for racing, Nastar skis for nastar racing, Fatter skis for powder, and perhaps a slalom ski for australian snow....maybe even a light touring set up for overnights (I'll start with an AT set up for day trips and work on it) - but that goes with a replacement of much camping gear for lighter/or snow suitable versions - so that will be a slow process...

If not for wanting to do the racing I'm not sure how many skis I'd have - probably 2 plus the AT/tele and light touring setups...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
I can't see what is so "right" with getting used to one pair of skis either. Puzzled

I mean that by not keeping changing skis you learn how to use them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, I'd add a "might" to that sentence.... plenty of folks on the hill do not seem to have got to grips with their skis
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But surely if one skis 70+ days a season, there's more than enough hours on each to get used to EVERY one of them?

Average peep only ski one to two weeks and have one pair. It's not so out of proportion that a 10 week/year skier have 5 or 6 pairs!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, you are right. I have skis that are taken out when I want to race nastar and when its icy, other skis for slushy crud days, beat up skis that go with me when I ski with the school kids, and midfats that go with me when I go out west. I get 50+ days in and find plenty of time to use them all. If you look at my quiver, you will only see one pair that was there a year ago. I sell them while they are still worth something, and move on to the next.

My sisters only ski once in a while. They each have one pair of skis, but borrow from me when they need something specific. It works for them and I'm happy to share.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, yep... that is my excuse for the few extras Very Happy

I have a friend who runs his own business and claims that the winter weather makes it too difficult for him to work then (short oz winter remember)... so he closes up shop for 2-3 months and skis about 60-80days straight....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now, little tiger, SnowHot, can I have some of your cast offs after I defended your right to have as big a quiver as you want? I've only got TWO pairs so far!!! Shocked

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, what size bootsole?
snow report
abc, I have a pair of atomic boots hardly used that are going to any good home I can find...

Skis - sure I'll share - there are 1 or 2 pairs in australia.... just ready for when you pop down... A couple of pairs in Colorado... and one pair here.... but at the moment I'm looking to get 1-2 more pair (but they will be bought second hand I think).... I did find a pair but the current owner would not sell to me as I was not a member of one of his race squads Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Now, little tiger, SnowHot, can I have some of your cast offs after I defended your right to have as big a quiver as you want? I've only got TWO pairs so far!!! Shocked

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Absolutly!
Any chance you'll be at stowe with the divas the day after ESA?
I'll likely have three pair with me, and I'd be happy to share, may even hook you up on a killer deal. Wink
snow report
SnowHot,
Nastar huh? Here all this time I thought you were anti-racing. Whats your handicap these days? It can become an addiction trying to drop it - just wondering if you caught the bug yet. Laughing As far as skis are concerned... you do have a bit of overlap (like I'm one to criticize). Instead of getting rid of skis, why don't you just add some that are different from what you currently have? I have a nice pair of 155cm Nordica SLRs sitting in my closet. Twisted Evil Slalom skis are a great learning tool (ESA?).
Later
GREG
latest report
HeluvaSkier, Just dabbling a bit. I ski with a variety of people. When I'm skiing with those who race nastar, I occasionally do so as well, but not seriously, and NO I don't have the bug.
ski holidays
OK, OK, we yanks are crowding out the "real" snowheads here (must be the late hour)! Better be careful not to wear out our welcome! Very Happy

Thanks for all the invitation for sharing. I don't know if I'll make it to Stowe. I will only be getting back to the state one week before ESA east... so a bit hesitant to start trotting up to Stowe...I'm also planning to move during December...

I was mostly jokig a bit about the expanding quiver bit. Unlike you guys/gals, I usually only ski about ~20 days a year. The rest of the time is usually devoted to x-c skiing. So I'm not too keen on breaking my own rule of n oless than 10day/ski/year! Wink

Also, since my entire quiver (of two!) are brand spanking new, I do have to spend some "quality time" on them at different conditions to see how my choices holding out. My "ice scraper", I'm fairly comfident. But my "powder" ski (actually travel ski to be exact, but most of my "travel" are to places having more powder than my home turf), I bought without demo! So it's quite a wild card. My main uncertainty is the length. It may not be long enough. So I'm definitely be interested in trying longer version of similar, if possible.
snow report
comprex wrote:
abc, what size bootsole?

little_tiger, I'm afraid I haven't got any plan to go to Colorado this winter. So it might be a little far to check out your quiver. Wink On the other hand, I just learn there maybe an openning our company headquarter at Zurich so I put my name in... will know in a couple months! Smile Austria should be easily reachable from Zurich! Laughing
snow conditions
abc, Laughing Now that sounds like a plan though.... work in Switzerland and buy some stocklis Very Happy
snow report
little tiger, actually I forgot, Aspen is in Colorado! Embarassed Shocked

I'm going to ESA in late Jan. (unless I got send over the pond before that). rolling eyes Confused
snow report
Serious investment this year

Fischer RC4 SL's (ex hire skis off ebay)
Vokl Karma's with VIST 614 bindings and a speedplate adapter (replacing my K2 recon's that i got a full refund for Cool )
Scarpa T2 tele boots (just cause i wanted em)
G3 Tele bindings and VIST adapter for Karma's (so i can tele and alpine with one pari of skis) very geeky...
a pair of cheapo decathlon poles and LEKI pole guards for dry slope training
Armour plated underpants like spyderjon (have saved me once already)
a compass and Map of Courchevel
A set of vices for tuning
loads of polar X wax
a waxing iron off ebay

Still to get is a helmet with chin guard
snow conditions
abc, ah....

I shall still be stuck here then.... but if you want to catch up with Fastman he might be kind enough to let you have a play on some of my skis.... drop him a line and see what he says
ski holidays
Hmmmmm ... all I can manage is gloves and goggles, I'm afraid. And probably a backpack for Mr L's birthday.

I realise that I am a disgrace to our consumer culture and am not properly pulling my weight. Sorry.
latest report
Lizzard, that is Ok... this year I well and truely made up for it.... I think I bought enough for about 3 households.... but it will all be well used by the recipients(not ALL for me).... and better still was at bargain prices...
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Hmmmmm ... all I can manage is gloves and goggles, I'm afraid. And probably a backpack for Mr L's birthday.

I realise that I am a disgrace to our consumer culture and am not properly pulling my weight. Sorry.

Funny you should say that! Very Happy My gloves (actually mittens) got a big hole which I patched with duct tape!

I was a bit shocked at the price tag of a replacement mitten with soft down filling costing US$60! That's nearly half the price I paid for my Trouble Maker!!!

So, I shall ski my brand new ski while wearing my duct-taped mitten. Am I a disgrace to our consumer culture? Most likely. But no, I'm not. I got new skis!!! Shocked

I somehow managed to lost my goggle towards the end of last season. Had to finish the rest of the season with only sunglasses, which wouldn't work too well on snowy days during regular season (can be bloody cold). Have to go buy a new one, looks like. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a cheapscape way of fashioning any subsititute for THAT! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, i managed to grab 2 pair of goggles at 19.95 each (smiths) last year... i have had goggle disaster hit and had to pay too much before... so now I am trying to stay ahead...

ditto gloves - i grabbed a nice warm looking pair of black diamond mitts cheap this season for super cold days ...but still need replacement gloves for when teh current pair wear out... I usually run gloves as "cold/windy day"(brand new), "average"(in use pair), and "spring"(the ones with the holes taped up)... also the old ones make good spares for visitors... along with that I have a nice pair of GREEN heavy duty rubber gloves that are large enough to go over regular gloves - they are the RAIN pair(aussie skiing)...

most ski gear in Oz is super expensive... hence my spending spree... I'm stocking up... trying to get enough for me and some for my friends back home...that way we will be right for a year or three Wink

If you want to get an idea of prices we pay to ski... a day pass is roughly $100AUD back home and a season pass was around $1000 the year I left IIRC... all for a 2-3month season... I gotta work at making it less expensive because it is not at all reasonably priced...
latest report
All these ski's for this and that conditions. I will only be able to justify one pair of skis for the foreseeable future, and will only ski on piste for the foreseeable future. If I stay on the piste are there any conditions that I may find my skis inappropriate for?
ski holidays
Megamum, my canadian instructor would give you a rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad look and tell you...

"You are learning to be a versatile skier. A versatile skier can ski any terrain on any skis in any conditions"

It is the workman not the tools... suitable tools for purpose just make it a little easier.... (eg a powder ski for powder).... Your skis will be fine for your purposes... do not fall for the marketing hoohah.... lessons will be a far better investment strategy as far as increasing performance in various situations...

(I'd say racing would be an on-piste limit for your skis... but you are not really likely to jump in a real GS course anytime soon)
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Serious investment this year

Fischer RC4 SL's (ex hire skis off ebay)
Vokl Karma's with VIST 614 bindings and a speedplate adapter (replacing my K2 recon's that i got a full refund for Cool )
Scarpa T2 tele boots (just cause i wanted em)
G3 Tele bindings and VIST adapter for Karma's (so i can tele and alpine with one pari of skis) very geeky...
a pair of cheapo decathlon poles and LEKI pole guards for dry slope training
Armour plated underpants like spyderjon (have saved me once already)
a compass and Map of Courchevel
A set of vices for tuning
loads of polar X wax
a waxing iron off ebay

Still to get is a helmet with chin guard

Now that is a seasonal update!!

I hope you'll post a report of the VIST adapter for the karma. I'm intrigued with that set up.
snow conditions
Megamum, for on-piste, the difference is relatively little. Whatever the snow, the piste basher simply bashes it into the same consistancy!

Until you start racing, that is.

Still, with the restriction of ski carrage charges, you really don't have much advantage to have many different skis. So, if you ever start racing, you'll be facing a rather bleak situation of having to ski EVERYTHING in your racing ski! Very Happy

Kidding aside, I skied on one pair of ski for about 5-6 years, on and off piste, with little complain. There were times I wished I had a different ski (late spring out west, bumps/trees, wider, shorter). But then I simply resolve myself to learning better technique! That's why I'm stopping at two pairs, one for on-piste, one off.
snow conditions
SnowHot, I just started tele lessons so not sure i can report with any authority in terms of performance. The VIST bindings look very solid and the adapter plate easy to use. I plan on using it mainly in the snowdome here so i can get some tele practice in without having to carry two sets of skis from the car...
snow conditions
skimottaret, One thing I don't have is a tele set up, but I'm thinking about renting this year and taking lessons. Something tells me I'm going to like it!
I'd really like to hear more when you get going on these.
snow conditions
abc, That kind of mirrors little tiger's, contribution - thanks both you are of course right - I'm going for loads more lessons whenever I get a chance at them and I'll ski the bindings off these before I even contemplate another set!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum, yeah ... go the lessons....???PSB???
ski holidays
little tiger, PSB? Unfortunately not - I have many family committments, and relatively little works holiday and cash. So I've had to pick and can only do the EoSB aside from my family holiday in February - so unfortunately they will have to sit under my bed until then. I can't wait to ski them - I only hope I get on OK with them when I finally use them, but apparently they are such a good deal that financially I am OK even if I don't. However, I desperately want to like them - they are gorgeous I can see me shooshing down the slope on them. FIL is visiting this week so I had another excuse to get them out and show him yesterday - another chance to run my fingers down them and imagine me using them Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, Sad

We need to find you a way to get more ski time.... maybe like abc you should move to switzerland Wink
ski holidays
Some more ski purchasing done...

Current quiver is now
Stoeckli SC 160cm (ex demo stock I got for a good price from Stoeckli importer in Oz)
K2 Lotta Luv 160cm (bought new from ebay good price)
Stoeckli GS 167cm

Dynastar Big Trouble 176cm (radius 23m 124 92 114)
Elan SLX World Cup 155cm (radius 11.6m)
Rossi Slalom 155cm
Volkl Race Tiger GS 175cm
Elan GSX 191cm

The last 4 are all supposedly race stock skis....
You can see the effect of the new race experience here...

I think the Volkl race tigers should be perfect for nice open Nastar race courses...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy