Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intro to Swiss skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Bish, wink (as to where the best bars are of course snowHead )

Chris Brookes, Thanks for the link, how much is it for a weeks parking? the site doesn't make it obvious.

stab, Will undoubtedly make the long trek across the valley to see the delights of murren, if only for a change of bar, I mean scenery Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, here - wink

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-251//334_read-2651

AxsMan, make sure you take your altitude sickness tablets before you set off to Murren.. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, Thanks, looks like 35 Euros for 7 days which seems very reasonable (esp. compared to EMA Shocked ).

Actually I had a touch of AMS at Tignes last December. Put it down to dehydration, too rapid an ascent, oh and getting completely bladdered the night before Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:
Elizabeth B, that's interesting. Ours was supplied in the boot.

Yes, they all are IME. ElizabethB - where did you hear that one? Not doubting you, just never heard of it before

The winter tyres thing has been done several times - if you don't have them on, make sure you don't crash! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_Switzerland_Liechtenstein.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, I wasn't aware of that advice about having the warning triangle to hand in the car, not in the boot. However, in some countries, notably Austria, they have brought in a requirement for a fluorescent safety jacket, and that must be available in the car, not in the boot.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read up in detail for when I did my grand tour of Alpine ski resorts. Each country varies slightly from another. Just to confuse.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes, Car park booked via the web, I misread the price list it's actualyl 50 Euros but that's still not bad for a weeks covered parking. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't bother with the winter tyres thing, keep some chains on you just incase but in 5 years I've only once not made it back to lauterbrunnen, and that was with bald as a coot summer tyres.
Apparantley it's a requirement for me to fit winter tyres Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, Well my 'new' Pirelli Scorpions coped admirably in the alps last year and I always do carry chains so I shan't worry too much!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, Definitely. Might also refer to gentle blues suitable for our style and disposition!

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish, Aah those post lunch cruisy blues, just what my tired legs need! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan,

Wengen is a great choice. You'll love it. Murren is a touch more rustic and a trip there during your stay would be great.

As you earlier said, flights to Swiss airports are expensive. Have you looked at Stansted to karlshrue Baden-Baden? There's a train service from Baden Baden to Lauterbrunnen with journey times of c. 4.5 hours. You're independent of the weather and having a car isn't an advantage when in Wengen.

Skibb
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skibb, Yes a trip over to Murren and also a look see at Grindelwald will definitely feature. I appreciate the car won't be used once we're there (although it rarely is at most resorts, 'cuz I'd rather not drive between the bars Very Happy ), but with four of us all with our own kit, it makes the journey there easier and cheaper! (I hate waiting at airports for connections Evil or Very Mad ) Have booked the tunnel now and reserved a car-park space. Looks like an 8-9 hour drive from Calais should do it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did it in 15 hours from wales straight to lauterbrunnen, but then I missed my tunnel connection and got lost somewhere in the asspit that is france so I could have done it quicker I guess.
ski holidays
stab, we normally reckon about 14 hours door to door Leicester to the French alps. Wengen looks a little less distance than (say) Val D, so should be less time. (I assume the Auturoutes are just as good as those going further south?)
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
(I assume the Auturoutes are just as good as those going further south?)

Laughing Once you hit Basel then give up all hope of going anywhere when it's high season, half of holland and belgium will be queuing up there to get in. Once out of Basel the motorway continues, it's just getting through Basel that's a pain.If you can get yourself (or maybe you already have one) a swiss motorway vignette then you generally don't get stopped coming across the border.

Don't forget the last train up to wengen, I've lost count of the number of 200km/h blasts I've had to do to make sure I get the last train.
snow report
stab, good point about the last train, I believe the car park closes at 7.00 anyway? Will be buying a vignette on-line in January to save border hassle. 40chf I believe?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
AxsMan, you can buy the vignette here:

http://swisstravelsystem.com/userdata_vignette.php?passid=5

costs 40 CHF plus an extra 8 CHF for postage.
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
stab, good point about the last train, I believe the car park closes at 7.00 anyway? Will be buying a vignette on-line in January to save border hassle. 40chf I believe?

Car park closing is news to me, maybe the ticket desk closes at 7 but the car park is 24 hour.
snow report
stab, you're absolutely right, I read

"... Reserved parking spaces must be claimed by 19.00 hrs...."

as meaning I wouldn't be able to get in after 7.00. (which of course is NOT what it means) Embarassed doh!
snow report
It takes us 12 hours to drive from St Malo to Lauterbrunnen and on the way doing a night stop on the French/Swiss border at any Ibis hotel.
snow conditions
We usually reckon 8 - 8 1/2 hours Zurich to Calais so that makes Calais-Basel 7 or so. There is a cut across from Metz to south of Strasbourg but it's not really worth it. IME it's usually quicker to go through France than Germany from Strasbourg - Germany may have stretches with no speed limit, but also has so much traffic you can't take advantage of it. Strasbourg to Basel is usually very quiet, and teh border crossing is much smaller, easier and quicker than the German one - you just have to fight through the Basel roadworks on the other side
ski holidays
AxsMan,

Youn will make great time down to Metz and then lose it all getting down to Basel. Once you are past Basel and onto the Swiss roads it is easy onto Lucern. It wouod probably be better..and quicker ...to take the N1 just past Olten to Bern as the motorway goes pretty well upto Interlaken.

I'd be tempted to look at Calais-Geneva because you can do that in nearly 6 hrs if you are brisk and then 90mins via Bern to Interlaken and it is all motorway. As I said the frustrating part is the crossover from France to Basel, IME and you still would want to pass Bern anyway...
snow report
JT, I like the sound of 90 mins from Geneva. Driven there many times and agree with you on the 6 hours. hmm time to start work with Autoroute/multimap I think.
latest report
How about taking the A31/39/36 past Dijon to Besancon, then cutting across the 70 ish miles of E23 down to pick up the A9 at orbe? looks like a good route to me, misses Basle completely and is only about 11 miles further than the 'direct' Metz / Basle route Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan,

I have made a few of these diverts and they look good on paper.. if you have sat nav then they may come off but the motorways get you there. Not sure about that one.... if you are that confident..carry on to Neuchatel and Bern...but if it is bad weather..?
snow report
eng_ch, have taken to using Dunkirque because Norfolklines are always cheaper. Best route there seems to be Basel, Metz, Luxemboug, Belgium, Lille. Last time we came back (which was late afternoon till early hours) it took 8 hours without breaking any limits to home 20km South of Zürich. This also included a few KMs off the motorway to find dinner and the short cut avoiding Strassbourg (this does cut off quite a few KMs and save some tolls but admitedly it was midnight when I did it). This route is nearly toll free and you can fill up in Luxembourg so saves some cash compared to the Metz Reims route and for Dunkirque is quicker.

Amazingly after seemingly forever, the tunnels in Basel are actually in use although they still put some unfathomable diversions in at night (same in Zürich which is the last thing I need after 7.5 hours of driving).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nessy, we've got to go over in a few weeks - may look into Dunkerque, thanks! I take it that's to Ramsgate? Cheriton is closer to the folks for us. It will also depend on whether or not my FIL will be coming back with us; if so, it'll be tunnel regardless as I'm not sure he'd cope with a ferry after his stroke 6 years ago. We've often done the Lux/Lille route because we have quite a few friends in Lux where we can crash overnight - but the trouble is you have to go through Belgium - and make sure you avoid Lille at rush hour rolling eyes I'll be glad when the Uetliberg tunnel finally opens though!
snow conditions
AxsMan, The last train up to Wengen is after midnight
snow report
riverman wrote:
AxsMan, The last train up to Wengen is after midnight

only on weekends if I remember right.
ski holidays
stab, that;s what I thought too. Of course, you can walk up any hour of the day or night wink
snow report
Elizabeth B, Might be a bit of a climb with ski gear and luggage Shocked
snow report
Make the Axsettes carry their own gear up then Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
Might be a bit of a climb with ski gear and luggage Shocked

One snowboard, wear the comfortable boots, trousers and jacket, gloves in the pocket. Next morning go rip. Leave the skiing paraphanelia in the car (or at home).

It takes less than one hour to walk up.
Smile
latest report
FenlandSkier, They'd have to carry me! Very Happy

stab, No boarders on this trip, only those of the true faith are coming along. NehNeh

An hours walk uphill doesn't sound too bad, until you are half an hour in Shocked (did it a few times last year at Meribel, where our chalet was halfway down a piste, the Axsettes mutinied and were ready to lynch me! Laughing )
latest report
eng_ch, just did the run on Friday including Zurich at 15:00 and Basel at 16:00. It took 8:30 from home. Norfolklines goes to Dover. The crossing is 20-30 minutes longer than the fastest Dover-Calais but the ferries are new and comfortable
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
AxsMan wrote:
is there anything else I should know about driving in Switzerland?

They drive on the right! wink

But often aggressively and on the left!
snow report
nessy, OK, ta, worth remembering. We're now just waiting on the aged Ps to tell us whether or not they're coming back with us as that will determine the means of transport and route
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy