Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intro to Swiss skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of taking the Axsettes away at February half term this year, and thought we might make a change from the usual French resorts and try the Swiss experience.

Will be driving over, and would like self catered (but with handy restaurants and bars) (close to) ski in/out accomm if possible. NOT looking for catered chalets. Easy cruising pistes with some reds and a few blacks are our preference and a 'must have' (for Mrs Axs) is the whole 'chocolate box' scenery thing. Don't need hundreds of Kilometers, and assume in Feb that everywhere should be OK for snow (so height not a worry).

Any recommendations from Swiss loving snowHead 's for the resort that would give us the best 'taster' of what Switzerland has to offer?

Thanx in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zinal for 'chocolate box' and easy to get to, Grimentz is just a few Km away and as you have the car it could be a day out. Crans Montana is about an hour away across the valley, bit more of a town rather than a village. I have always found Switzerland overall to be better value than France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've very little experience of Switzerland, but I'd have thought Grimentz ticks most if not all of your list (especially the chocolate box thing). Bus or car will easily get you around Val d'Annivers for a bit of variety. PM brian for advice about accommodation close to the piste - some parts of the village look like there might be a bit of a hike to/from the skiing, but Brian's place is pretty close to the piste from what I remember.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan,

Ski in ski out does not always go with chocolate box as the former tend to be purpose built. If you look carefully via the tourist office you can usually get places close to the lifts, though they go early for popular weeks. If you are driving you might find accommodation a little away from the lifts if there is a car park close to them just as convenient, it will usually be cheaper.
The other thing to consider is whether you want fellow Brits there, not always a disadvantage if the Axsettes want fellow English speakers in the classes.

Wengen is popular with snowHead 's and other Brits is certainly very attractive though you have to pop over to Murren to get black runs of any challenge it fits most of your criteria.
Grimentz is ridiculously attractive and has some ski in ski out places, with the wide coverage it is currently getting in 'ski and board' you may now find there are hoards of brits in the ski school and elsewhere but it will be a change if there are. To do lots of cruising you really need the car to reach the other resorts in the area.
Zermatt is chocolate box but is not very convenient for ski in ski out.
Flims/ Laax and Nendaz can fit most of your criteria but are pleasant rather than chocolate box likewise Klosters.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure about the chocolate box thing for VDA but up the valley and the high peaks on teh Italian border certainly qualify.
Grimentz is on the side of a hill so you need to pick your place and Zinal is a linear village with the cable car pretty much at the entrance of the resort but does not mean a long walk. We stayed at the Europa which is a nice family type hotel.

Easy drive either via Geneva/Lausanne or Chamonix and the pass to Martigny although the latter will be subject to weather. The road up from the rhone valley will make you concentrate...until you get to Vissoire... wink
You will need your car to get to other villages IMV, ie St Luc, although the buses do run well enough. The connection between Zinal and Grimentz via bus is good, but depends how your the kids are.

Another plus is that most of the runs have a north facing bias. Cran M is mostly south facing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, ........................ Mürren....would meet your criteria spot on.

the resort -

http://www.muerren.ch

Ski area -

http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=52

or click below on 'my photo Gallery'
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanx all - looking like Wengen/Murren are favourite. Now just need some accommodation Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, if you got lots of dosh then Wengen/Murren might suit you.
If not, then somewhere else might suit you better.
You want a self catered chalet for the whole family.
You dont say how many Axsettes, but I will assume you want peace and so 3 bedrooms
If you want to afford the rest of the year, than have a look at Nendaz
Not exactly ski-in-ski-out, but a superb array of chalets
And right in the middle of the 4Valleys.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, Only 2 Axsettes on the trip, so two bed appt or two hotel rooms will cover it. Looking at HB in Wengen for around £730 a head. Doesn't seem unreasonable (well compared to Meribel anyway Very Happy)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan,

If you decide to stay in the higher resort Laughing with a better sure snow record snowHead that doesn't have cars in the village snowHead and no q's on the lifts snowHead then here is the link to Top apartments or you can get advise and help via Murren Tourism booking an apartment locally with the owners -

http://www.muerren.ch/topapartments/seiten/frame-e.htm

info@muerren.ch

** either resort you decide im sure you will love the Jungfrau Region **
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Brookes, Will check it out - many thanx. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyonbe stayed at the Victoria Lauberhorn in Wengen - it's looking favourite among the hotels at present?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saas Fee, Arosa
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimentz should tick many boxes, plus there is the added benfit of the link over to Italy.

Embarassed oh sorry, wrong resort

wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

Axsman Verbier ticks the boxes on the Skiing front plus I think (but don't know) that Verbier has some proper nightlife for the Axettes to enjoy. Toofy Grin
No doubt Parlour could advise on this point wink
I'm sorry but Wengen always conjures up memories of SCGB matrons skiing in Tweeds Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin, one of the criteria was easy cruising pistes.
Verbier doesn't really tick that box. It's average piste gradient is the steepest of any of the bigger resorts in europe and there are a couple of key links that can't really be avoided that are steep (though short) reds by any other resort standards.
I'm a Verbier addict...will ski ther 35 days this season (if not more).....I'm certainly biased!
snow conditions
rungsp, Embarassed My memory isn't what it was! I thought there were ample cruising pistes around Verbier Confused
ski holidays
AxsMan, yes. That's where we had the MSB last year. Nice food and convenient for the lifts. The daring among us managed to ski right into the boot room....but I wasn't doing the steps on my own skis!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Grimentz should tick many boxes, plus there is the added benfit of the link over to Italy.

Embarassed oh sorry, wrong resort

wink

Laughing you can see the border though.

Seriously, the Anniviers is not in the usual Brit holiday market. There are not loads of cruisers, you can't ski endless kms as the system is fractured into small separate areas, they have t-bars Shocked , few people speak English, you can't get warm beer or the papers or see any footy/rugby.

It is very Swiss, but in a Swiss for the Swiss type way.
ski holidays
Thanks all, just booked the Victoria Lauberhorn on-line. Will be driving as the flights are all very expensive (surprise surprise) and/or involve a 3 hour transfer. Looks like less than 750 miles so well doable in a day. I know I'll have to get a motorway tax ticket at the border, is there anything else I should know about driving in Switzerland?

Have driven in France many times, and have all weather (M+S) rated tyres as well as of course chains. I believe I'll have to leave the car at lauterbrunnen, would the best route (from Calais) be Metz, Mullhouse,Basel,Bern?

Any other advice or wise words appreciated. snowHead

Frosty the Snowman, You're no doubt thinking of the little known resort of La Rxxxxxe, that barely gets a mention on here these days? NehNeh

Elizabeth B, Now that sounds like pucka ski in ski out Laughing

boredsurfin, MMMMmmm matrons in tweed, now don't get me started Madeye-Smiley

brian, sounds like a refreshing change! snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, it works for me !

About the driving, the autoroute speed limit is 120kph and the speed cameras tend to be small and in the central reservation, not easily spotted, but I think you'll be ok on UK plates anyway.
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
is there anything else I should know about driving in Switzerland?

They drive on the right! wink
snow conditions
AxsMan, Why not try something a little different. Drive North to Hull, overnight to Europoort, and down through Holland and Germany. It's about 80 miles shorter and you should be in Wengen by 6pm Very Happy
latest report
Elizabeth B, What really? (or like the Spanish, on the right, the left and in the middle Shocked Laughing )

brian, I normally cruise around 130kph, so maybe I'd better back off a tad.

Just read the blurb from last years MSB, sounds like the right place and the right hotel!, Irony is Mrs Axs and I might be going again (using a timeshare swapout) around the same week as this years MSB, - that would work well snowHead
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Might have known a trucker would suggest a cunning* short-cut rolling eyes

*As in Baldricks 'cunning' plans NehNeh Laughing
latest report
AxsMan, Shocked Shocked oooh you ungrateful bitch wink Laughing

It would be my choice, but then I would save 240 miles (each way)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-10-07 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
AxsMan,
Swiss Speed camera's courtesy of Natives

For Swiss info page down a bit.
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2004/SpeedCamera/index.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=8059

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
Thanks all, just booked the Victoria Lauberhorn on-line. Will be driving as the flights are all very expensive (surprise surprise) and/or involve a 3 hour transfer. Looks like less than 750 miles so well doable in a day. I know I'll have to get a motorway tax ticket at the border, is there anything else I should know about driving in Switzerland?

You need to carry a warning triangle in the car. If you're coming in high season or something then pre book the parking at lauterbrunnen parkhaus as it soon fills up, there are alternatives which are cheaper but they are outdoors.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Actually it's probably not as daft as it sounds NehNeh and might even be a bit shorter for me, but I do like the tunnel, show up, wait 20 mins, drive-on, 20 mins later you're there, non of this waiting to sail, chugging across the manche rubbish Very Happy

stab, got the triangle, am rranging a reserved space through the hotel, sounds like we're all set snowHead

boredsurfin, Thanx, sneaky bugs!
snow conditions
I started this thread a while back.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28286&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=radar+gps&start=0
latest report
Ah yes....forgot about the triangle. In Switzerland, the warning triangle must be carried in the car, in reach of the driver from ther seat (ie not kept in the boot).
snow report
Wonder how they feel about under floor storage bins?
snow report
Alpenrose (sp?) in Wengen was outstanding, but I haven't been for 14 years Shocked ... may have changed owners since then
snow report
Elizabeth B, that's interesting. Ours was supplied in the boot.

AxsMan, M+S are not necessarily snow tyres. If you are unlucky enough to be in an accident and the other party(ies) have snow tyres, my understanding (from discussions elsewhere on SHs) is that you will be held liable. Whether or not it was your fault. Touring Club Suisse (our local AA) recently tested a bunch of M+S tyres and found them all significantly less effective at braking and turning than winter tyres.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Guess I'd better be extra careful then! (not changing the tyres again, they were new on last year) Worked very well in the snow at Meribel too, got away without needing to put chains on even after a significant dump or two.
snow conditions
AxsMan, We are doing Wengen for Christmas. I know your style: I'll keep you informed!

snowHead
ski holidays
AxsMan, dont forget to book your space in the Lauterbrunnen car park -

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-250/

Dont forget to visit Murren wink
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Dont forget to visit Murren wink

ring 1st to see if it's open though, wouldn't want to waste a journey across the valley floor would you now.
snow conditions
stab, no one will answer as they will all be skiing/boarding in the deep stuff higher up.. Laughing
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
stab, no one will answer as they will all be skiing/boarding in the deep stuff higher up.. Laughing

I didn't think he was coming on the last week of april though Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy