Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2007/8, for all the non-believers out there.

Poster: A snowHead
Luke wrote:
Off to Les Houches in 10 days - I hear the snow is getting a bit thin on the ground - reports much appreciated please!

was there 9th Feb.

Needed snow then

sorry Shocked Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, Well it must be pretty bad now! Thanks for that - althouhg there is a possibility of some snow fo this weekend I believe....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Luke, check out http://www.chamonet.com/snow_report.php. The snow reporter is a regular poster here. There's been a bit in the last couple of days, (5cm yesterday) and more forecast for next week. I'm heading out to Argentiere on the 8th and I have a feeling there'll be plenty of new snow about !
Also, keep an eye on the weather outlook thread, next week's forcast is making for interesting reading ! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Luke, Honest, I don't like contradicting directly but Renry is incorrect. Snow conditions can change much faster and much slower than you might expect viewing from the UK. In the absence of any other information I wouldn't expect conditions 3 weeks ago to inform conditions today.

Based on last Sunday - No, it's not pretty bad now. It's fine. Runs to resort at Prarion and Bellevue were hard in A.M. soft in P.M. Pistes otherwise in good shape. More snow always welcome. And clearly the mild weather is keeping things soft. No-one knows what will happen in the next three days let alone the next 10. Stop worrying and get back to work.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
forgive me David Murdoch, I did only state that it needed snow when I was there on the 9th.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry, no forgiveness required snowHead - while we could certainly do with more snow but the higher runs aren't "bad" yet. The runs to town are rather more March than February like in fairness! Did you have a good time?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch gets annoyed about people asking about weather in advance... wink I have learnt now to keep schtum with ridiculous questions about 2 week forecasts and instead rack up a thousand pound phone bill calling psychics advertising in the back of the Daily Star. 'Wait and see' is not an option - I am far too highly strung Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, I dont know Les Houches that well so I am not sure if you are referring to it or Chamonix itself. Either way it will form part of my 'experiment' to see the difference between, say, Les Houches and one of the hiher areas like Argentiere. And I am still working by the way what about you?????????????????
Renry, In another thread on Chalets and Apartments I have been asking about those who bought in low lying resorts and one of the issues debated there is whether to go high in these 'trying' times. Obviously David has all angles covered in CHX hence his blase attitude to snow cover!
sallywt, Sounds like the information is just as useful!!!
phil625sxc, Thanks for that Phil - I have been using the .net website and that gives a daily forecast only - maybe they are taking their advice from David??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
phil625sxc wrote:
Luke,
Also, keep an eye on the weather outlook thread, next week's forcast is making for interesting reading ! Laughing

I had a look at this thread! F***K that for a game of soldiers............... I'm back to work with David and let the soothsayers at it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sallywt, I am sorry if I was a little robust in my reply, honest...

I will confess that I'm a little sensitive to (probably cos of last year) the whole "the season's ended, there'll never be any snow in Europe, will it snow on April 6th at 11.30"? set of themes.

There are a lot of people out there whose livelihoods or well being depends on paying clients making bookings and casual observers reading SHs could end up with an entirely false impression of reality. And be unable to distinguish well meaning perception/observation from considered, experienced advice.

While I sympathise with a degree of concern over conditions in the run up to the winter annuals there's precious little you can do about it so IMO best just get on with making lists of what to pack.

Luke, nah, stopped for the night around 18h00...I was referring to Les Houches. Conditions are probably better up at, say, Argentiere, but I haven't been up there all season (!). On the other hand you get a much better lunch in Les Houches. Lunch/snow/lunch/snow...it's a tough call sometimes.

At the moment higher is better. But "High" and "low" are not the whole story. Much of the PDS gets much better snow than it should for its height and (I think) gets generally better weather than Chamonix. Flaine allegedly gets the most snow fall out of something (not sure out of which peer group). Personally, I think there are many more factors on deciding where you want to acquire a property than how high the skiing goes...

The best Chamonix valley forecast is from http://www.chamonix.com/meteocham/MetPreE.php. Given that many people put their lives on the line based on this one they really do try and get it right - and are quite candid about how confident they are about it. Note well, "Forecast reliability : fairly good until Sunday, poor thereafter." So not terribly confident and only 3 days out. And these guys are trained, paid, professionals making measured judgements. With no disrespect to Metcheck or Snow-f'cast they're automated systems making forecasts derived from models that change every 6 hours. Go figure.

P.S. I am not blase - a major element of my well-being not to mention a significant mortgage depends on the snow...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is this a good moment to mention that i heard from a reliable source today that it will never, ever snow again, ever. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Is this a good moment to mention that i heard from a reliable source today that it will never, ever snow again, ever. Toofy Grin

And there i was thinking you were too busy selling shoes...................
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David is spot on regarding the most reliable forecast, also available here,
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php

Its updated every day in English at 8.30ish available half an hour earlier in French, also very useful if off hiking is-
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/bulNeige.jsp?LIEUID=DEPT74
Which gives detailed avalanche info for the Chamonix area.

Unfortunately only in French.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, How come you ski Les Houches and not the rest of the valley - most people I have spoken to say thats bottom of their list in the Valley - I did like it for the one day I was there but coulnt find much off piste as I was not 'guided' at the time... And without mixing threads I do take your point on the PDS but you are still based in CHX and ski in Les Houches
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BTW I was skiing at Grands Montets yesterday, and the snow above 1500m (everything except the home run) is fine, the weather was not good to ski in yesterday but the snow was OK.
ski holidays
jbob, Thanks for that - the missus is French (I know! I know!) so I can use the french site - and as I said earlier I was using the .net site for CHX which only seems to give daily forecasting. To be fair as David says it all irrelevant anyway as I am booked and going to make the best of it Skullie
snow report
jbob wrote:
BTW I was skiing at Grands Montets yesterday, and the snow above 1500m (everything except the home run) is fine, the weather was not good to ski in yesterday but the snow was OK.

See David height (like length!) cannot be dismissed.........................................
ski holidays
IMG_3260

This is a bunch of 10yo having a whale of a time off piste at GM yesterday at 1750m. It was actually snowing when this photo was taken which is why its a bit dull. There is another 1750m of skiing above this.
Les Houches is a great place to ski I always take visitors there.
ski holidays
jbob, looks like one of them fell off the chair.... any suggestions on getting on a cheap guided tour of Les Houches for a day?? The ski club just does the far side of the valley.
snow report
Luke, I did say above that Argentiere (GMs) was probably better and that at the moment higher was probably better - but that's just right now, right there.

To suggest that high=(always)=good is specious at best and flat wrong much of the time. See weather forecast for tomorrow when high winds may stop the higher lifts running.

Anyway.

Just to explain. Amongst many other reasons we are based in CHX as our business plan requires a reasonably healthy summer season. I love Morzine/PDS but it didn't fit our non-emotional requirements. We ski there quite often as we have lots of friends there.

Why do we ski in les Houches?

As you might imagine, we have frequent weekend visitors, few of which want to spend the day ripping the fall line in the Hearse bumps (shame) but like pootling around on easy runs. So because we want to hang with our chums and we're nice people we take them to La Tour or Les Houches depending on conditions.

And if it's snowed down to 1,000m the off piste there doesn't get tracked out quite as quickly as everywhere else (lift-served) in the valley.

And, and, if we just want a gentle day and a big lunch to recover from a 4.00am Choucas night the restaurants in Les Houches are just so much better. As opposed to the ones everywhere else which are either/or/or-all-of eye-wateringly expensive, soulless and not very good. (Don't mention the refuge de Lognan or La Cremaillere which are exceptions but I am so full of cheese I couldn't face another croute, ever).
ski holidays
Go on. Just one, waffer-thin croute?
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
but I am so full of cheese I couldn't face another croute, ever.

Lightweight Laughing
snow report
firebug, Sometimes all I thinks about is cheese.
The best croute in Chamonix IMHO is at the hotel at Le Buet, I had it from the chef that they use Beaufort.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
will it snow on April 6th at 11.30"?...

I hope so - it is my birthday after all!! wink Actually was driving to Cham on April 6th last year.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Very fair summary of your needs which are clearly much better defined than mine! I am interested in Les Houches for its family atmosphere (do let me know the names of the best mountain restaurants) and if there was some nice off piste I would be happy there. Property seems to be cheaper there also which is a consideration. I can also sneak into the valley for my 'fix' ....and to check the weather forecast.........
ski holidays
David Murdoch, is the Refuge de Lognan the one nearish the (vertical) bottom of Point de Vue and Blanchots? Went in that one a few weeks ago and it was pretty much a case of "Would you like cheese and bread, cheese and onion, cheese and potato or just cheese?" Smile Agree it's actually much nicer than all the Compagnie du Mont Blanc horrors, but limited menu options if you're not a dairy lover....
snow conditions
PhilG, errr I think so. Yes, they have a more varied menu (marginally) but you have to order in advance Puzzled

Luke, Good restaurants on hill are "vieilles luges", "Le Cha" and the "Taniere". Les Houches is a lot quieter than Chamonix. Great for family winter but a ghost town out of season. And it's further away from the main valley skiing hence cheaper.
snow conditions
Quote:

The best Chamonix valley forecast is from http://www.chamonix.com/meteocham/MetPreE.php.

I got the same opinion from a cross-country ski instructor/mountain guide in Les Saisies. It's one of several I look at, and the addition of a "confidence" indicator is extremely useful.

It's a job to know why Les Houches would have been "needing snow" on 9 February. It's close as the crow flies, and about the same altitude as our area (Espace Diamant) which we left about then. There's been no snow since (and hadn't been any for a few days before that) but the people who borrowed our apartment during the last two weeks said the snow was holding up exceptionally well. The people there for the first half term week who have been skiing for many years, and who have an apartment too (they borrow ours for family overflow) said it was the best combination of snow/weather they had EVER encountered at half term.

I think perhaps some people have an unrealistic idea about what ski conditions could/should be. Maybe watched too many videos. If the pistes are covered in snow, conditions are good. If they're covered in snow and the sun's shining, conditions are excellent. If it's just dumped a load of new powder and the sun's shining, you're into a "one day in 10 years" scenario. If you're a beginner or intermediate skier and the visibility is poor, you're surrounded by unpisted piles of snow and your turns aren't working, thighs aching, you probably just want the sun to come out so you can see where you're going.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, and how many people complain when it snows all day and they can't see anything? You have to wonder...
snow conditions
I guess one of the interesting things about the Chamonix valley is the diversity of the skiing - some complain that it is a pain having to travel to the different ski areas but it can be an advantage depending on weather conditions.
snow conditions
We go mountain biking in Les Houches in summer and it's relatively lively in July/August (though other than this I agree with what David Murdoch says completely, with the one further caveat that it's not great for snowboarders because of the flat spots.) Also, if there's bad visiblity, it's often below the clouds.

pam w, so true!
latest report
We realy enjoyed our 4 1/2 days skiing in Les Houches.
It was ideal for our mixed ability group.
We enjoyed going off through the trees and meeting up further down and the area to the right of the Kandahar start hut (which is ofter used for GS training) is a great run for speed and 'air' off the big rollers.

The only downside was nothing much to do later at night.

We had pizza at the resaurant at the bottom of the Bellevue* (sp) cable one evening which was realy nice and La Cha was our chosen destination on the mountain for morning hot chock's and coffee, then back there later for lunch and a few beers.

The last bus into Chamonix from les houches was 6.45pm (i think) and was included with the llift pass and the last return to les Houches was 11.45pm costing 2euro each. We did this a couple of nights only.

I put a couple of video clips on youtube for amusement. If interested, do a Les Houches search (I cant link to you tube while posting from work)

Hope the snow that looks forcast for the comming weeks arrives for anyone going out later in the month. Les houches looks such a pretty ski area when the trees are covered in snow and it makes going through the trees a bit more fun with fresh tracks.
snow report
firebug, You shoud see the light and take to the two planks.............Renry, Dont talk about the weather forecast - David's about....
snow report
Luke wrote:
Renry, Dont talk about the weather forecast - David's about....

Embarassed oooooops

LOL Laughing
latest report
Luke, the secret is to bring your own two-planker with you for a tow! Laughing
ski holidays
Update from Grand Montets, the high mountain was closed today due to high winds they opened the Bochard in the afternoon.
The 25-35cm forecast did not really happen more like 10cm, but there was a decent refreshing of the snow above 2000m.
It was F windy high up.

IMG_3303
ski holidays
jbob, lovely photo! Smile
latest report
Renry, the "you tube" clips are great looks like you had a fab time, we are out to les houches in two weeks for three days and are hoping to make the most of our time by just skiiing les houches (snow allowing) the conditions looked pretty good on your videos, we dont mind there not being too many steeps etc as my to boys can find enough excitment dodging in and out of the trees and the odd flat bit gives me time to catch up with them Laughing

David Murdoch, Renry, which would be the best gondola for my OH to use if she wanted to join us for lunch one day at the top of the mountain at les houches ?
(she doesnt ski), but would like to see the boys in action
snow report
Grands Montets today conditions were great. pistes fast and firm, off piste great, but you had to look for it.

gm

Neilski, the main access to the system is the Prarion gondola which takes pedestrians.
latest report
I was at Les Houches last tuesday and was for the most part pretty disappointed. The weather could be classified as HOT and a lot of the snow was BROWN.
The next day in Chamonix was a completely different story. It snowed during the middle part of the day and was definitely cold enough to keep snow from melting. We hit all 3 peaks in Chamonix and I have to say its the most fun and best snowboarding i've ever done in my life. Could not see anything up in cloud city though. Visibility at about 30 feet tops sometimes. Although i'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that i left my goggles in Missouri...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy