Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Artificial Slopes vs. Mountain Snow

Poster: A snowHead
And now for something completely different. Here's one for everybody (that wants to) to join in:

Not a trick question, no hidden agenda. But.... for the purposes of this thread, can we limit the term "artificial slope" to just "Dry", and not to include Indoor Snow? We can open it out later, if deemed necessary etc.

The purpose being to exchange information, experiences, ask questions etc. of the differences between the two environments. It can be as simple as "it hurts more on dendix" (or even what's dendix).

I'll kick off.

1. There are more thumb injuries on traditional (Dendix) dry slopes, compared with on the mountain snowHead

2. To my knowledge, There's Dendix, Snowflex, Permasnow, Playgrass. Anythine else?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) Agreed - that being the reason I'm typing this largely with my left hand, and the cast on my right causing me to miss out a 'nice' couple of races at the weekend Sad . I've given my thumbs some right bashes (e.g. catching an edge at speed and my weight then landing on my pole, with my thmb sandwiched between it and a very hard piste), but I've never broken it on snow.

3) Dendix is like skiing on very slow ice - bu%%er all grip, but you don't go very fast. Skating across flat bits is very hard work Sad .

4) Dendix is great for telling you when you're doing something wrong - you can get away with virtually nothing.

5) Dendix is probably not the best for developing rapid balance reflexes - surface is about as predicatble as it gets, and tends not to develop too deep ruts! (Although in summer, if no misting, you can suddely hit very sticky patches)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's 760 miles difference between the two.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My teacher claims 12 - 14 thumb injuries. He's not sure cos he's lost count. Doesn't inspire much confidence Toofy Grin ( I secretly quite like Dendix ) Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is NOT the mountains - nuf said! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
During the 3 years I worked on plastic I never had both thumbs in good order at the same time! Having said that, as most will know, I'm a great supporter of the plastic fantastic when you can't get to the mountains for the real thing. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ickabodblue wrote:
My teacher claims 12 - 14 thumb injuries. He's not sure cos he's lost count. Doesn't inspire much confidence Toofy Grin ( I secretly quite like Dendix ) Embarassed

wow he must have freaky hands, 12-14 thumbs!!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the thumb-phobic (especially after reading this thread) - many dry ski slopes are replacing their beginner slope surface with Playgrass or Permasnow, so no diamonds to get those thumbs caught in! Plus if/when you fall, it's "springy" snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, Always knew there was something not quite right about him.........
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue wrote:

If they were proper thumb injuries he'd only be able to count to 8.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Permasnow is just plain vile - although much better for falling on so the freestylers like it (and probably much better for beginners too). Significantly less grip even than Dendix, wrecks your skis signficiantly faster, and wears through is moments. When you hit a bald patch, expect your skis and you to go flying - so dangerous for performance skiing. Bracknell's Club have given up any attempts at training there, and in recognition of the fact they never expect to be able to do so again are changing their Club's name as of next year. Similarly, Chatham and Medway no longer train at Chatham (AFAIAA). Snowflex is alleged to be better, but I've never skied on it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How do you install gates into Permasnow/Snowflex?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, probably less danger with a good bit of webbing between the digits Wink .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My right thumb still sometimes hurts after falling on Dendix several years back, it can also make a nasty bruise on your bottom. Snow can hurt as well, especially if you fall on ice or use your face as the first point of impact (speaking from personal experience).

Other than that a would agree with GrahamN's points.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, You don't and I think you know that wink Toofy Grin
latest report
veeeight, with difficulty. I think there's a major problem with Snowflex, as it's a continuous carpet. Permasnow is essentially large carpet tiles (edit: maybe 1.5m x 2m IIRC) with velcro joins, so you can lift up a seam, slide a baseplate under it with the pole sticking up through the seam. Setter's nightmare as you have only limited adjustments on positioning - essentially just along the 1 dimensional path ( Wink ) of the seam. The time I tried it, the bases were not strong enough and some poles got destroyed after about half an hour's non particularly aggressive use. The mark 2 version were a bit stronger AFAIAA. We were due to have a race at Bracknell early this season, and our kids had been training there once a month, so it is just about possible. The region gave up on the idea though and moved the race to a Dendix slope.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-09-07 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ickabodblue, I don't actually spend a lot of time of artificial (thank f****) Laughing
snow report
veeeight, lucky you, some of us have no other option. You can't put poles on snowflex as yet though I'm sure someone will come up with a way. It is softer to fall on ( I have wide experience of this) but harder to hold an edge.
Next time your in Glasgow I'd be happy to show you round the dry slope ! Very Happy
snow report
What, and be shown up by a spotty 13yo dry slop racer? Laughing
snow report
Dry slope skiing is like drinking cod liver oil. It is horrible but good for you.
latest report
Any technique differences? From my very limited dry slope experience (about six hours in the last decade) some of the very good slalom skiers seem to create much bigger angles with their knees than seems to be the case with good skiers on snow.

Have to say that I'm regretting avoiding skiing on plastic for such time. Although it is a bit 'cod liver oilish' I have no doubt that if I do it frequently enough and have some structure to the time I spend on plastic my skiing will undoubtedly improve.
ski holidays
Quote:

Any technique differences?

Well. How to answer that without opening another can of worms? wink
latest report
Quote:

Any technique differences?

worms on their way wink Depends what you mean by "technique". Do you have different "technique" when skiing different snow conditions? Or would you perhaps have "adaptation"? I've seen a few experienced snow skiers (eg French visitors) who come to the slope to "have a go" having never skied plastic before. A few runs of "zut alors Shocked " and they crack it and are away - probably a similar experience to one's first go on snowblades after skiing for years on DH boards wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-09-07 23:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
veeeight,

1) I have hurt thumbs a couple of times on snow, never on Dendix.

2) There was also a system made by Curver (also make washing up bowls) for the dry slopes in the Netherlands which used square tiles that locked together and about 30 years ago a system using hexagonal yellow tiles but I can't remember what it was called.
latest report
rob@rar, I assure you you've seen nothing yet! There are times when Lloyd Papantoniou makes Bode look positively conventional (and tidy rolling eyes ), but he is pretty much the extreme case. I would probably agree that there is more lateral knee movement on Dendix than on snow - although last November I did see some pretty radical moves on the lanes the other side of Rosolin from ours. I think this arises as a) we're going slower, so the radial force is less, the resultant ( Wink ) is therefore angled less towards the ground and the CoM has to be higher for that vector to still pass through the "Base of Support" hence more angulation and less inclination; and b) courses are tighter (IIRC the rules are 7-10m vertical drop for Dendix, 8-15m for snow), and so we need very acute edge angles to allow the skis to bend enough to make the turn. We can get away with it without ACLs popping like Rice Krispies again because the speeds are lower, so the forces and torques overall are lower. Shorter skis also help!
latest report
rjs, now you mention it, I saw something like a square version of Dendix the second day I ever skied - in Ohio rolling eyes in 1988. (I think it was called something like Alpine Valley or Snowy Valley - good job Trades Descriptions weren't anywhere near, as I saw very little alpine, only a little snow, and there was no discernable valley Very Happy , the "black" had a maximum slope of maybe 5 degrees). Their "intermediate" slope was maybe a 30m long ramp of 2-3in squares, coloured blue if this vague memory is remotely accurate. Whether it was actually something different or just a different formulation of Dendix I don't know.
snow report
GrahamN, Snow gate spacings are 6-13m for open and closed gates, 12-18m for delay gates.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
There's 760 miles difference between the two.

Which is pretty much the only reason those of us that choose to do ski it (oh and that it's available 360+ days a year). I'd also like to point out that it take me considerably less time to get from my door to the top of my local slope than it does for easiski to get (from her door) to hers Laughing Laughing .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
Skating across flat bits is very hard work :( .

Do liners pack out faster with dry slope use?

Do sidewalls get worn down with dry slope use?

Does anyone still use the collapsible-plate-stack grips such as Marker mounted on their Twincam poles ca. 1992?
ski holidays
You should never ski plastic wearing shorts - believe me.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, Shell Suit? Laughing
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
Mosha Marc, Shell Suit? Laughing

I taught a guy who turned up in a football training shell suit that had vecro up both legs for easy removal. He fell half way down the main slope and ripped his trousers off. He ended up standing in the middle of the slope in his underpants. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks guys, I'm now shitting myself on going on a dry slope Sad
snow conditions
Timmaah, Wimp wink Laughing
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm now shitting myself on going on a dry slope Sad

I was very anxious before starting to ski on plastic a couple of weeks ago, but much to my surprise it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.
ski holidays
Timmaah, don't worry about it! I'm sure there are probably far fewer serious injuries on dry slopes than there are on snow, and as for whether it's good fun or not, just have a look at the kids in the local race club. snowHead
latest report
rob@rar, just wait till you fall backwards and put your hands out to brake your fall... Twice last year i came out of my c**p rental bindings doing backwards snow ploughs and both times a thumb went.....

I have only had one kid get hurt to be fair (a bad pinky finger break) but the accident book is now in a BIG lever arch file Shocked
snow conditions
skimottaret, you're not helping! I think the lesson to be learned is not to snowplough backwards on plastic...
snow report
rob@rar, i have spent more time going backwards than forwards on plastic. but now have my own skis so hopefully wont pop out again. 99kg of lard leaning uphill was more than the punter skis could take Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy