Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester - Chill Factor e

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure that I swarmed over the site, but it did look a bit crowded on the one half of the slope open on Sunday morning. I was impressed with how many skiers it coped with in practice, 150 skiers didn't create too much of a lift queue, they got around quite quickly and managed more practice runs in half an hour than they would have done in a full hour at many places.

It's interesting how secure Chillfactore are in their beginners customer base, I would have thought that with 150 experienced skiers and families in from the ski clubs around the country that they would have been interested in us as potential customers, but there was nothing for us in the way of publicity, either to bring us back or to tell our friends, I got the impression that they just wanted us out of the way as quickly as possible, and would much rather that we didn't come back.

Is the coffee service in chillies the slowest in the world? I was 5th in the queue and it took about half an hour to get served, finally a second person was brought in to help as the queue was about 3 hrs long by then.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jane L wrote:
I'm not sure that I swarmed over the site, but it did look a bit crowded on the one half of the slope open on Sunday morning. I was impressed with how many skiers it coped with in practice, 150 skiers didn't create too much of a lift queue, they got around quite quickly and managed more practice runs in half an hour than they would have done in a full hour at many places.

The time available for practice overlapped with course inspection, this reduced the number of people skiing or waiting for the lifts at any one time.
Quote:
It's interesting how secure Chillfactore are in their beginners customer base, I would have thought that with 150 experienced skiers and families in from the ski clubs around the country that they would have been interested in us as potential customers, but there was nothing for us in the way of publicity, either to bring us back or to tell our friends, I got the impression that they just wanted us out of the way as quickly as possible, and would much rather that we didn't come back.

I'm not sure I was wide awake enough to have taken in any selling of the use of the slope.

They have various plans for regional events to attract customers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The booking section of the website still needs attention. The first thing it asks you is the date/time you want - if you're after lessons/sessions it really ought to offer a list of what is available when as the first thing so you can choose something suitable at a time that you can go. This would also serve as advertising as it might tempt you to do something you'd not thought of.

Incidentally is there any plan to offer daytime "sessions" which have instructor support included, similar to the "freshtrax" that Cas do?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane L wrote:
Is the coffee service in chillies the slowest in the world? I was 5th in the queue and it took about half an hour to get served, finally a second person was brought in to help as the queue was about 3 hrs long by then.

Oh don't even mention that to my OH, he got so angry after waiting about 45 mins to get served he stormed off in a huff rolling eyes to make it worse after I calmed him down and got him back in the queue to finally order his sausage barm they then went and forgot about it and only cooked it after he went back and asked where it was rolling eyes He was unhappy enough having to get up so early in the morning, to keep him from his breakfast was foolhardy!

Other than that the race didn't seem to cause much disruption - I guess cos most of those involved were out on the balcony when the race was going on so were out of the way - and I think the ice cream shop must have done great business Very Happy did see some rather shocked looking members of the public wander into chillis just as prize giving was about to start - they left again rather quickly wink still wonder if people might have been a bit upset if they hadn't known in advance they would only have half the slope available? but at least no racers crashed through the gaps between the safety nets onto the public slope.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vivski, Chillies has been a waste of space since the day it opened. Service was bad from the beginning and prices are ridiculous - the place really needs taking over by someone who knows how to run it, and give value for money. Their attitude seems to be that if you can afford to ski, you also won't mind paying over the odds for food/drink Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of crashes the other way though, I saw quite a few in the red blocks at the bottom of the slope, two skiers demolishing boarders and even a free skier using the nets as a slalom course.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can persuade your employer to enter a team in the Snowsports GB Corporate Challenge, you could be in with a chance to ski with Chemmy or Alain. Details here:

http://www.ecommzone.com/LZ/CFE/0007ZN/065ae09ba1ebcceb17770c5b9ad8769714/story4.htm
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, Have you any idea why, even though they offer a contact email address, they never answer emails? I have posed numerous questions and made some useful suggestions via their contact email address, the last one I subject headed "why don't you answer emails?" but still no response. What is the point in offering this service, asking for input from the public, but never responding.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, no i don't sorry. Have you tried calling?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, I've called them lots of things! wink No, didn't want to put myself to any expense, in order to offer them something they say they welcome. If I'm passing I might drop in, but it's poor customer relations...such is life...in the UK!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

didn't want to put myself to any expense

how much does a local telephone call cost rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, it's the principle, not the phone call cost !! Shoddy customer service should not be tolerated, it should be broadcast - me phoning them just proves they don't care, and I don't matter...no one knows... why would they need to change anything? rolling eyes But now you know, and everyone reading this knows - they don't answer emails wink or at least not mine (just in case they did answer someone elses out there...did they...anyone???) Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, When they first opened it took three months to answer an email from me, so don't despair, there is still time. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, If it were me and I had a such big problem(s) with their service i would take it further with them to get it solved. It could be something simple like the emails you sent are going to a non existent person or a junk folder or who knows.... broadcasting complaints here may be useful to fellow snowheads as a last resort if you get completely snubbed but is a wasted effort if what you really desire is to get the root problem fixed. one call would take a lot less time that numerous posts here Little Angel

As a new operation perhaps you should give them the benefit of the doubt and ring em up so that it gets fixed properly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, but you see, I am not you... Toofy Grin I guess you would have to know about the history of some of their problems, and my previous (face to face) contact with those in high places; for you to make an informed comment on the productivity of my “efforts”. wink

But...the operation is no longer new, the model is certainly not new, and the concept of “customer service” is positively ancient!! So benefit of the doubt doesn’t apply.

The news letter emails arrive in triplicate, and the facebook page they have seems to update OK, so one can only assume their email link works too!

A question: how long does it take you to know if your emails aren’t getting to you, or a link you have isn’t working? For me.... about 5 minutes...my business depends on me knowing!

JP, I live in hope then!

Just to balance things out; the slope is great, the improvements they have made since opening are appreciated, and it's right on my doorstep.

And beanie1, is a very helpful chap! (hope I got the right gender)
snow conditions
Getting away from the crap service, I was there Sat / Sun and in the morning it was really quiet snowHead

It is to be expected now that we're in summer but if you want to take a morning out to practice something, these are the times to get over there.
ski holidays
sharon1953 wrote:

No, you got that very wrong Wink
snow report
Quote:

Thanks, but no not quite right!! Does my sig not give it away?!
snow conditions
beanie1, oops. sorry...no it didn't... as I didn't check your website details. Sincere apologies to a very helpful lady Smile
latest report
sharon1953, i thought the name might have given it away, oh well!
snow report
Fat Face Night Ski at Chill Factor e:

http://youtube.com/v/i2Ns3g4DpIY
snow conditions
kristof, did Jo go too? What did you think of the slope?
latest report
I'm in Manchester tonight so I'm going to nip to ChillFactore tomorrow morning - don't suppose any other snowHead are going?
ski holidays
Butterfly, nope she didn't but the slope is great for you practicing drills and your technique, drop her a message I think she's changed her username to Jo82. I preferred snowball-breaker tbh Happy (happy birthday by the way)

jonm, if I was about I'd join you, unfortunatley I'm stuck in Berlin for a few days, I'll just have to grin and bear it Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I'm stuck in Berlin for a few days, I'll just have to grin and bear it

Oh hard luck Toofy Grin Have fun...
latest report
Chill Factor e won Retail and Leisure Scheme of the year at last night's North West Insider Property Awards. I'm very proud!
snow report
Anyone going on Monday day ? I may take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer in Thursdays paper....
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, which paper? Can't see anything on website under "hot offers" and I didn't get an email alert!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, Daily Telegraph, was in on |Thursday. Someone posted in the "Piste" section about it.
snow conditions
Everest Challenge in aid of DSUK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7424671.stm
ski holidays
beanie1, thanks, wonder why it wasn't in MEN? I assumed that signing up for the news letter would have been enough, as it says on the site:-

"Sign Up, Get all out latest offers, and information, as they become available...Why not sign up to receive up to the minute information on what's happening at Chill Factore? Not only will it mean you stay informed - for certain promotions or events, where it's first come first served, it ensures you've less chance of missing out!"

Puzzled
ski holidays
sharon1953, It wasn't a CFe promotion, it was a Daily Telegraph promotion - two for one deals over half term. It just happened that CFe was one of the participants.
snow conditions
beanie1, ah, thanks, that explains it then, shame that Chillfactore doesn't do these too, like being able to choose to ski for a shorter time (lower cost) now it's out of season. I asked at reception if they would consider this, as 90 mins is a long time when the slope is empty, but the response was "no". Thought they might have said "we'll pass the suggestion on". I have emailed this, and used their suggestion/comment box. Do you have any influence?
ski holidays
Quote:

as 90 mins is a long time when the slope is empty

Eh? Would you prefer it if it was busier?
ski holidays
jonm, Think you are missing my point. When it's busy, you need 90 mins to account for queuing times, but when it's not, 60 mins of going down, then straight up again is sufficient, well it was for us, so we left early! Unlike Castleford, the stewards at Chill, don't need to manually check your entry tickets, so variations should be simple. I’m sure the equipment could process for different length recreational sessions. It would be nice to have the choice.
snow report
sharon1953, no. But I'm sure if a lot of people are making the same suggestion, and it's commercially and practically viable, they'll take it on board.
snow conditions
Just went today for the first time figuring Sunday morning 9am during mid-July would mean an empty slope which is pretty much a must. There was hardly anyone there (even at 10:30 when I left), online booking worked well and the snow is the best artificial I've skied on. The lift kept stopping and none of the staff knew why and the paper tickets are a pain.

A run must have taken me about 8secs on my SL skis (roughly 8 turns). Skiing is always better than no skiing but at £22 it will be left until I'm very desperate!
latest report
narc, We did a similar thing, went last Tuesday morning thinking it would be quiet before the schools broke...car park was empty, but 3 coaches in the overflow... it was packed inside, loads of kids having lessons! Snow was good, lifts ok once they had opened up the 2nd one 15 minutes into the rush. Still had to pole up hill to get to the ticket machine, and those paper passes are pants! We got bored after 60 mins so gave our passes to some kids that were sat waiting for their time slot, put a smile on their faces! Will give it a miss now till next season...need to save for the real thing!!!
ski holidays
I got taken to CFe on Friday, (early afternoon) as a surprise day out by my dear (Non-skier) hubby! On the whole I had a great 90 mins skiing, the snow was superb, the non-skiier viewing area was really pleasant for hubby to wander about and I was delighted to find I have maintained my progress made in LDA! The machine that calculates equipment requirements was interesting as I've had techies disagree over my DIN setting previously and have generally skied on 4. The machine first gave me a setting of 3.5, but then I noted it had me down in the "up to 5'5" category and I'm 5'6 (and a half!). I got on again and made sure I stood up straight and it then said I was in the next height category and suggested 4.5. The bloke said on that basis 4 seemed right and used that. The lessons slope was very busy with kids on school trips. One really sweet little Liverpool lad asked me while he was queuing up if skiing was fun as he was trying it for the 1st time. Hope he had a great time! The main slope was quiet to begin with, very quiet. I do have a few constructive criticisms to offer if anyone from the management would like some feedback from a first time visitor who, whilst competent enough to ski recreationally, is still not very confident yet. It's not complaints - just feedback Wink

Comments:

On arrival I found the entrance was not at all obvious, there ought to be good signage off the motorway and to the building entrance.

Inside, I had to ask where to buy a ticket as the only notices were to where to collect prepaid tickets and where to make future bookings. The girl on the "future bookings" desk took my booking and said the "tickets for today" sign had been removed and she had no idea why.

The lift pass system indeed needs looking at. I bought my pass, got ready and then tried to enter the slope. I had to ask why the gate said "time expired" when I hadn't even started - I didn't realise my slot had a fixed start time as nobody had said so and there wasn't anything obvious printed on the pass. I thought the passes flimsy, but to be fair mine did stay attached to its elastic ok. I found that I had some difficulty getting the machines to read it unless I put it in the slot quite carefully - not easy in ski gloves. I suggest the management ought to consider a rechargeable, hands-free card that customers keep and bring in each time to be charged up as they pay - cheaper in the long run surely? I also think the start times of sessions ought to be flexible if possible, or the customer asked to nominate their start time, to avoid the bulk queues at session starts.

I only used the "assisted" lift and found the uphill slope to the entrance was negotiable as there are rubber mats, but can see I'd have found it daunting last year and if it were covered in snow, or someone was doing a no-poles exercise it'd be difficult. I was a bit surprised about the lifts system. It seems to me to be contrary to good H&S to brand one as "self-service, experts only". Surely in such a confined space it's really desirable to have someone watching and within reach of the "stop" button on all lifts? I didn't use that one at all as I am not an expert and I wasn't too confident about getting off suddenly part way up, should someone trip.

After I'd been there a while a fairly large snowboard instructor course arrived on the main slope. They would first have a briefing as a group right across the top edge of the slope on the same side as the "assisted" lift, virtually blocking off the slope access when they could easily have stood further back as there is plenty of room. I found this rather annoying - I could have used the other side of the slope, but it had a ramp within the narrow section at the top, limiting the width available and thus removing the opportunity for me to make a turn as soon as I really wanted to and I was wanting to consolidate my confidence. This trainee instructor group would then suddenly board down very fast in a follow-my-leader "snake" and a couple of times one of them passed me by uncomfortably close at high speed nearly taking me out - I thought being downhill of them I had priority, but I felt like I was an unwelcome obstacle in their way. The instructor with them really ought to have been "novice-aware" and ensured they were too. At one point at the top of the slope, as I was edging past them to get onto the slope while they were awaiting the final few up the lift before their next slope-top briefing, the students were laughing and joking about how one of their number had no slope etiquette (the one who'd had a close shave passing me I wonder?) - not a great advert for instructors-to-be who should be setting a good example, esp as you never know who is listening/watching.

Oh, and on a positive note to end with, the young member of staff looking after the kids on the tubing run was obviously loving his work and doing all he could to give them a great experience and to encourage any nervous ones. Well done to him!
ski holidays
the drag lift on the far side is the same as the other lift, i think it's just slightly faster. The far list is assisted or was when I was their and they do turn it off (annoyingly) but yeah, if they're both open and your not so confident probably best to go on the slightly slower lift. The first time I went was the busiest and they had a slalom set out over a third of the width all the way down and only members of the property club or something could go on it - that was gay. What also annoys me is that even if theres no que you have to go round the stuff and still get your ticket out and put it through the machine and people with lessons get to cut this completely Evil or Very Mad

One time when I went their was the entire slope free and their was the lesson thing going on but everyone was just using it which was great and it made it so much better. The snow is ok i think it's a little slushy and is quite slow but it isn't noticeably slushy (hard to explain) - i'd compare it to skiing after there was no snow for a week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy