Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where & where not

Poster: A snowHead
Yes: Milton Keynes
No: La Ros
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite happy where ever there's snow.

Really do like La Plagne but then again, it's the only resort I've visited...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This must be a record, on to page 2 with no mention of resort x.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes: Most places

No: Bulgaria, Australia. Much better places to ski at the same time of year with easier access from UK.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes: Zermatt, Engelberg, Andermatt, Jackson Hole, Winter Park, Taos.
No: Can't think of anywhere I'm really keen to avoid.

Quote:
Really do like La Plagne but then again, it's the only resort I've visited
Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think a lot of "snobbery" gets exposed on threads like this.......I would say if there is snow, lets ski/board. Does it matter where you are at the end of the day?

Ok I know I am being naive but hells bells lets get a sense of perspective. How can you write the skiing off in a resort/mountain because of the architecture?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like to go: Colorado (going in a few weeks!) Utah

Wouldn't like to go: Anywhere crowded in France
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
northantsred,
Quote:

Does it matter where you are at the end of the day?

Yes. Quite a lot of people go on ski holidays for more than just the skiing. Even some snowHeads.
wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ssnowman, how do you know there has been no mention of Resort X?

I know the name of Resort X, but I can neither confirm, nor deny, that it has, or has not, been mentioned.

Suffice to say I can see a perverse curiosity that would put it on my "Would" list.
However knowing its name, and having looked it up, I can also see good reasons for it to be on my "Would Not" list.

A bit like Val Thorens really!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At some point I'd like to go to Grimentz Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp,
Quote:

I know the name of Resort X

How come?
Quote:

I can neither confirm, nor deny, that it has, or has not, been mentioned

Why not?
Quote:

A bit like Val Thorens really

...but with fewer runs...!
Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

At some point I'd like to go to Grimentz

In the winter, to ski. Have been a couple of times in the summer and it really is a lovely place, am surprised it's not better known amongst the Brits.
snow report
 brian
brian
masmith, nah, it's pants, not enough km, hardly any english speakers, etc etc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, because Megamummy told me in a PM, and asked me to respect her paranoia....um I mean wishes Very Happy

I can allow one titbit of information....it is indeed smaller than Val Thorens!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, Laughing
snow conditions
rungsp, it's Castleford, go on, admit it!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Nah. My (educated) guess is somewhere in the Engadine.
snow report
yes - Lenzerheide - Valbella (rungsp, is this resort x ???)

no - for some reason Zermatt does not interest me (whereas it should)
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
I think a lot of "snobbery" gets exposed on threads like this.......I would say if there is snow, lets ski/board. Does it matter where you are at the end of the day?

Ok I know I am being naive but hells bells lets get a sense of perspective. How can you write the skiing off in a resort/mountain because of the architecture?

I don't think there is a lot of snobery but to discriminate is reasonable, there are thousands of resorts to ski and unless you are a ski journalist or suchlike you have no chance of skiing anything other than a small percentage so you have to make up your mind as to which are the more important ones to you on whatever criteria. If you like staying in pretty villages there is no need to go to purpoes built one's doesn't make them bad places or mean that you are writing a place off just that it is one that with all the other possibilities you don't mind missing out.

The original question was asking about well known resorts. I put down Vail as a place not to ski. The reality is that if I was offered an expenses paid trip to Vail I would leap at it, I have heard some good things about it and it is clearly a well known resort. In terms of North American skiing though because of the distance and expense I am only likely to get a relatively few trips and resorts such as The Utah ones, Big Mountain, Aspen, Inland BC, Banff, Telluride etc. appeal more I have Vail on my list of ones I don't mind missing. Maybe I'm snobby as for instance Bulgaria would be higher but because It's not famous I did not list it. NehNeh
latest report
would like to visit north america more
wont ever re-visit bulgaria
ski holidays
rungsp, have you considered that I might also know the location of resort x wink
latest report
masmith wrote:
At some point I'd like to go to Grimentz Very Happy

I might go there a few times this Winter Very Happy
snow conditions
To do:

3 valleys
Val Gardena
Saalbach
Chamonix
St Anton

Not to do:

Bulgaria
snow conditions
brian wrote:
little tiger, Mt Baw baw ??? You've made that up haven't you ? Laughing

http://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/snowcams.aspx

you can see "the resort" there.... Razz
snow conditions
JT wrote:
If someone who knows said I'll show you around..and we are on the same wavelenght/like the same sort of skiing..then I'd give almost anywhere a go......

To define a place by lifts and kms is a bit ........ well, I just don't get it...!! Puzzled

I probably know folks that would "show you around" Mt Baw Baw, and I could certainly show you around Mt Buffalo as I've walked that area a fair bit in off season...

Just let us know when you want to go ski it.... Oh and don't forget the rockhoppers!

(I'm looking forward to getting this on video Twisted Evil )
snow report
There's nowhere I wouldn't ski if snow and me were there simultaneously. I fancy trying Colorado or Utah sometime. From what I've read, I wouldn't go out of my way to Andorra.
snow report
Oh how could i forget.. I really want to go skiing in Morocco Very Happy Damn anamoly video..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, delayed reply - St Anton goes up a wee bit higher ? no? I think you know what I meant. And for many of us with out your wide circle of contacts it is actually nice to go skiing with a ski club rep without paying the local ski school through the nose.

northantsred, skiing is also a holiday and doing it in an area where all the buildings look like Public Toilets does diminish the experience. That isn't snobbery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whenever I decide to drop in on resorts (which isn't often) its amazing how I often find that I am having an impact on discussions even in my absence!!

Oh, well - to the subject of the thread - I want to go to Val Thorens at the moment and once I can get down some reasonable slopes I wouldn't mind going back to Lenzerheide-Valbella just to conquer my original fears there 10+ years ago!!
ski holidays
I love that everyones listing St Anton and I get to spend a whole season there
ski holidays
tequilaslammer, Grrrr.
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Oh how could i forget.. I really want to go skiing in Morocco Very Happy Damn anamoly video..
Puzzled
snow conditions
Ski video "Anamoly" I highly suggest you watch it! Anyway, there are places where you can ski in morocoo and it just looked cool cause the pistes are completely empty, least looked like it and ya...
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:

I don't think that is what we are doing.

I don't think anybody is saying they would not ski in these places, they are just saying that they are paces they would not make the effort and expense of booking trips to, given that there are many hundreds of ski resorts.

Everybody who books themselves a ski trip must have some criteria for deciding where to go. All this thread is doing is saying "these are the places that come highest using my criteria, and those are the ones which come lowest".

That doesn't mean we wouldn't ski the ones which come lowest if we found ourselves there when there was snow. Or that we wouldn't take up an offer of a free or very low cost trip there.
ski holidays
Quote:

skiing is also a holiday and doing it in an area where all the buildings look like Public Toilets does diminish the experience. That isn't snobbery.

I agree, but on the other hand, I recall when a skiing holiday to me was one week a year reserved purely for skiing. I couldn't care less If I was in a purpose built eysore like Les Menuires or somewhere pretty, it was the skiing I was going for and it was the range and quality of the skiing that mattered, not the architecture, resort charm, apres etc.

Now though my/our priorities have changed and many more criteria come into the equation, but for some, all that matters is the fact that there are mountians with snow on and lifts to get you up there.

btw, when you quote someone, how do you get it to say "xxx wrote:" ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
masmith,

Code:

[quote="masmith"]

blah

[/quote]
ski holidays
brian wrote:

Code:

masmith wrote:

blah

Thanks.
snow report
brian wrote:
masmith,

Code:

[quote="masmith"]

blah

[/quote]

Or click on the icon at the right hand side of their post to quote it in full (or then edit it down to just the comment you want).
snow report
If I win the lottery, I will go back to the Trofana Royal in Ischgl, failing that, I'll be back in Mammoth in a couple of years.....I will not, however, be going back to the Atlas Mountains in Morocco ('er indoors has strictly forbidden it Sad )
snow conditions
I want to go everywhere where there are slopes covered in snow .... only time and money makes me prioritise.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy