Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Snowblading is more extreme than boarding or skiing"

Poster: A snowHead
err ok
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme wrote:
whitegold loves them really wink

Lol.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most people who look bad on blades are skiers who give it ago, but don't actually have the required carving skills. Used properly they are extremely cool.

Whereas on skis people get away with skidded turns everywhere, snowblades simply don't work like that, so you end up with this horrible wobbly leg out of control look. Blades want to run on edge, then they give you wicked g-force turns all over the place. In fact even in a straight line you slowly roll them from edge to edge, and heypresto - control and style.

No SILLY poles being AIMLESSLY poked around like a pair of crutches for support either.

Most people (not everyone) who don't like blades simply can't do it. They hop on them, wobble about, get all their weaknesses highlighted and give it "well they're only good for a laugh but skis perform better" speel and go back to skiing badly.

Have to say I'd only use mine on a piste carving day, though. For everything else give me my X-Wing Furys back.

Hope this clarifies everything. Must go it's beer o'clock again NehNeh

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-09-07 20:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beeryletcher wrote:
Most people who look bad on blades are skiers who give it ago, but don't actually have the required carving skills. Used properly they are extremely cool.

Whereas on skis people get away with skidded turns everywhere, snowblades simply don't work like that, so you end up with this horrible wobbly leg out of control look. Blades want to run on edge, then they give you wicked g-force turns all over the place. In fact even in a straight line you slowly roll them front edge to edge, and heypresto - control and style.

pmsl Laughing Laughing Laughing
surely if short carved turns are your thing then a pair of SL11s (or similar) are what you want?

Don't like or dislike blades, just don't see the point of them anymore. Back to the original question, I guess they did have their place in one of the more 'extreme' ends of skiing as their brief popularity seemed to coincide with/preceed the explosion in park skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

surely if short carved turns are your thing then a pair of SL11s (or similar) are what you want?

Well yes, I agree, SL11s would be ideal for learning correct 'blading' technique Laughing

Oh and these little abbreviations - 'pmsl' is what ? I've only just worked out that 'lol' means 'lovely oiled ladies' Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beeryletcher, I think it's Pre-Menstrual SLalom, but I could be wrong... Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beeryletcher, I think stuarth, has a weak blader wink

pmsl - pissed myself laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:

Too long: can't
cross over.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beeryletcher wrote:

Whereas on skis people get away with skidded turns everywhere, snowblades simply don't work like that, so you end up with this horrible wobbly leg out of control look. Blades want to run on edge, then they give you wicked g-force turns all over the place. In fact even in a straight line you slowly roll them front edge to edge, and heypresto - control and style.

No SILLY poles being AIMLESSLY poked around like a pair of crutches for support either.

Most people (not everyone) who don't like blades simply can't do it. They hop on them, wobble about, get all their weaknesses highlighted and give it "well they're only good for a laugh but skis perform better" speel and go back to skiing badly.

Have to say I'd only use mine on a piste carving day, though. For everything else give me my X-Wing Furys back.

Hope this clarifies everything. Must go it's beer o'clock again NehNeh

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its OK the ski world does owe something to snowblades/skiboards:

Jason Levinthal begat Line snowlerblades which begat Line skis which begat a whole range of park skis & later the Mothership which begat arguably the Seth Pistol (orginal dimensions uncannily similar) which made fattish twin tips cooler than Pocket Rockets & also the Prophet 130 which begat a whole number of wide skis.

Maybe wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
& later the Mothership which begat arguably the Seth Pistol

Karhu Jak. It's all really thanks to telemark.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
Its OK the ski world does owe something to snowblades/skiboards:

Jason Levinthal begat Line snowlerblades which begat Line skis which begat a whole range of park skis & later the Mothership which begat arguably the Seth Pistol (orginal dimensions uncannily similar) which made fattish twin tips cooler than Pocket Rockets & also the Prophet 130 which begat a whole number of wide skis.

Maybe wink

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
fatbob wrote:
& later the Mothership which begat arguably the Seth Pistol

Karhu Jak. It's all really thanks to telemark.

Yeah didn't know which was the chicken and which was the egg, same ski though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is telemarking more extreme than alpine skiing, boarding or snowblading?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, I don't think there are degrees of extremity. wink
snow report
laundryman,

Yes there are. You can be "extreme", "eXtreme", "totally extreme" and then "extreme to the max". Possibily the highest degree is "extremely gnar to the max" unless anyone is aware of a higher gradation wink
ski holidays
I've posted on TGR. Beat that for extreme Cool
snow report
telemonosnowblading

kite or parachute?
snow conditions
Icognito, what you were told by that person is true. But it depends on the length and also the the width of the snowblade. The conventional 99.9 snowblade is an excellent parabolic ski but sadly, very few would be bladers fail to use them for that purpose. I suspect that the blades that incognito refers to are much fatter (skiboards) and also the modern conventional salomon blades are much longer (120cm). I have skied on the latter, off piste, in thigh deep powder and on steep and deep mogul fields, and crowded trails to my favourite mountain restaurants! It's almost obvious to me that reading this thread that most of you posters have either never bladed before or if you have, you made a pretty poor show of mastering the skill. All you lot associate blades with is watching some pathetic wally using the blades like some over excited wedelling duck.
The reason why I prefer to use blades to go off piste, to tackle steep and deep powder and steep and deep bumps.. BECAUSE IT IS EASIER AND MORE FUN! than using conventional skis. But first of all, one has to acquire the skill to do all that on 120cm blades or ski boards. Which I suspect that none of you posters on this thread, have! And neither are you likely to have in the future.
They say the proof of the pudding is in the... I can give you that proof if any one of you are in the vicinity of les trois vallees all during february 2008. You can get hold of me in St Martin De Belleville. I will post more particulars about me nearer the time.
ski holidays
Blade wrote:

The reason why I prefer to use blades to go off piste, to tackle steep and deep powder and steep and deep bumps.. BECAUSE IT IS EASIER AND MORE FUN! than using conventional skis. But first of all, one has to acquire the skill to do all that on 120cm blades or ski boards. Which I suspect that none of you posters on this thread, have!

Pffft
latest report
beeryletcher wrote:
Whereas on skis people get away with skidded turns everywhere, snowblades simply don't work like that, so you end up with this horrible wobbly leg out of control look. Blades want to run on edge, then they give you wicked g-force turns all over the place.

beeryletcher is right on that point, and that is why ski-boards (or Snowblades if you want to Hoover-ize the term) are such useful learning devices when teaching people to carve tight arcs. They give a far quicker feedback than even the shortest ski, via the immediate, tangible "reward" when you successfully arc them.

Bear in mind, the sidecut radius of the Snowblade 99 (still made by Salomon) is 6m. That is about half that of a typical SL ski. Hence the "wicked g-force". If I was forced to spend a day skiing in a snowdome, I would probably use Snowblades, simply because I would get twice the number of turns for my money.

I don't know about taking them into genuinely deep, bottomless powder. Forward progress would be slow. In the kind of skied-out bumpy crud like in Comprex's video, it's a pretty challenging fore-aft balance drill. I recommend anyone try it sometime.

In my earlier life, I spent 14 years, living on 223cm skis. I also raced Super G at three World Grass Ski Championships, on 90cm long grass skis. So I can honestly say that length, like age, is just a number Smile
snow report
graeme wrote:
roga, no was not directed at you, more towards the general attitude of the majority of the site. please dont think i am all worked up because of comments towards skiboarders/bladers, this is not the case. i just find its sad that people have to try and poke fun, at someones chosen method of sliding down a hill on snow. to me its all about having fun, which i am really good at wink

I think it is a manhood thing - guys equate long fat skis with something else and don't want to be ridiculed that they have a tiny weener if they use snowblaeds. It is like cars. Don't suggest people trade in their X5 for a Smart.
ski holidays
Quote:

The reason why I prefer to use blades to go off piste, to tackle steep and deep powder and steep and deep bumps.. BECAUSE IT IS EASIER AND MORE FUN! than using conventional skis. But first of all, one has to acquire the skill to do all that on 120cm blades or ski boards. Which I suspect that none of you posters on this thread, have!

Well I used to own a pair of Line Bullets, does that count?
I'm a bit of a ski whore so I like having the right ski for the job when possible (though I've attempted several icy GS races on my Mantra's!) and I reckon to Martin's point, going through chopped up crud on ski-boards would truly be an exercise in fore-aft balance! Shocked wink

I'm if you try hard enough or are good enough sure you can go anywhere on anything. An ex-Canadian national team skier I was skiing with (allegedly due to a very bad hangover or similar!) brought his proper race skis out on a powder day to ski steeps, chutes and drops all day - he seemed to do allright! Cool

Quote:
And neither are you likely to have in the future.

True. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy