Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Snowblading is more extreme than boarding or skiing"

Poster: A snowHead
A remark made to me at the weekend - comments please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wash your underwear? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess it would be pretty hardcore to turn up at the Extreme Skiing World Tour and do it on snowblades!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 brian
brian
IncogSkiSno, you're takin the bladin wee wee, aintcha ? Laughing

Can't say I've ever seen a blader ripping up a powder field and thought, wow. Some of the traydyboys are good though, to be fair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends: who, where, how, etc.

A good skiboarder will have more extreme angles than a similar level skier or boarder on the same slope.
It's also more extreme in the sense that it is more on the fringe of the sport than the more common/popular methods.
And it's potentially more extreme in the danger/injury aspect.
And finally, it's more extreme based on the amount of abusive comments that are made about skiboarders (both justly and unjustly) compared to those made about skiers or boarders.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski boarders? C U next tuesday! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
It depends: who, where, how, etc.

A good skiboarder will have more extreme angles than a similar level skier or boarder on the same slope.

Though inclination and angulation are easily mixed up. Always see pictures of bladers with their inside hand in the snow like a boarder - surely this implies too much banking (which apparently will make you go blind!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never ever seen some one on ski boards or blades I wanted to emulate. Different story for boarding, tele and mono.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
And it's potentially more extreme in the danger/injury aspect.

Thinking I need to get some release bindings on my blades now after messing up my knee this year, Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could get some of these "ski" things, they come with releasable bindings as standard and you get about an extra meter free! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, there's a certain member of the ski club who spouts rubbish like this. He also hates dry slopes. I wonder if you have had the misfortune to have had to listen to the same idiot?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowblading is for people who are too lazy to put the effort into learning to ski or board.

They are fun for a couple of hours, that's it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssnowman wrote:
Snowblading is for people who are too lazy to put the effort into learning to ski or board.

They are fun for a couple of hours, that's it.

do you really think that? or trying to provoke a reaction...lol
maybe one day you might get a chance to board with me (i will be on skiboards) and we will see who looks lazy.......lol
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never seen anyone do it particularly well on snow - in fact the only people I can recall with them on are noisy, queue barging Dutch youths - on that basis I came to the conclusion it was something done by the sort ssnowman refers to above.

graeme I've never done it myself but have seen some fellow instructors at Gloucester using them for training purposes (or it might have been to *rse around Wink ). Can't say it's something that attracts me, or that I've ever thought was particularly "extreme" - am I wrong graeme?
snow conditions
roga, all depends on who is using them. and depends on what you class as extreme, i look around the ski slopes at times and see 100's of people who dont look extreme in any way, thats on skis, boards and skiboards.
Quote:

I came to the conclusion it was something done by the sort ssnowman refers to above.

bit unfair that, there are idiots on slopes using all methods of sliding
snow report
roga wrote:
graeme I've never done it myself but have seen some fellow instructors at Gloucester using them for training purposes (or it might have been to *rse around Wink ). Can't say it's something that attracts me, or that I've ever thought was particularly "extreme" - am I wrong graeme?

(OK, Graham not Graeme Wink ) Our coach has fits when he gets us on blades (ok boards...but these actually are "'blades"). Very good for making sure you ski centred - particularly if when you get it wrong the penalty is a faceplant onto Dendix! Also good for developing "fast feet". Another "interesting" variation is to ski on one ski and one blade - and then the other way around Shocked .
latest report
graeme wrote:
roga, all depends on who is using them. and depends on what you class as extreme, i look around the ski slopes at times and see 100's of people who dont look extreme in any way, thats on skis, boards and skiboards.

Fair point, I guess it depends on what your definition of extreme is but certainly there are plenty of holiday skiers who never approach anything that could be termed extreme... it's all relative though, I've met people who think sticking planks on your feet and sliding around on snow is extreme of and in itself! rolling eyes
Quote:
bit unfair that, there are idiots on slopes using all methods of sliding

Very true - it wasn't a particularly considered opinion on my part I have to say... more a spur of the moment and completely unsupportable prejudice Laughing
GrahamN wrote:
(OK, Graham not Graeme Wink )

LOL, there are two Grahams/Graemes here though - very confusing wink
Quote:
Our coach has fits when he gets us on blades (ok boards...but these actually are "'blades"). Very good for making sure you ski centred - particularly if when you get it wrong the penalty is a faceplant onto Dendix! Also good for developing "fast feet". Another "interesting" variation is to ski on one ski and one blade - and then the other way around Shocked .

Yeah, I think that's one of the things they were doing - haven't got that far myself 'coz I'm just a humble trainee Laughing

I guess that delight is to come though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Very true - it wasn't a particularly considered opinion on my part I have to say... more a spur of the moment and completely unsupportable prejudice

the thing is, i remember when snowboarding became popular, the exact same things where being said about snowboarders. i think its about having fun, no matter what you strap to your feet. really dont understand why anyone feels the need to take the wee wee out of any one participating in there chosen sport.
as for wether people look good on skiboards/blades, (please dont take this as a personal dig), i have been around this site for a while now, and from what i have seen from pics vids etc, the vast majority should have a look at themselves before commenting on anyone elses skills
latest report
graeme wrote:
Quote:
Very true - it wasn't a particularly considered opinion on my part I have to say... more a spur of the moment and completely unsupportable prejudice

the thing is, i remember when snowboarding became popular, the exact same things where being said about snowboarders. i think its about having fun, no matter what you strap to your feet. really dont understand why anyone feels the need to take the wee wee out of any one participating in there chosen sport.

Not sure if this is meant as a dressing down for me but in my defence I wasn't actually taking the "wee wee", I just commented on my only experience of bladers, which was not great, and I think I've been quite clear about my comments being a bit, as I said, "prejudiced".

As for boarders, I fully intend at some point to have a go to see what it's like, I also know a few boarders and like them, their chilled attitude and the fact (as I see it) that attitude has fed into skiing and made it a far cooler sport. This all being despite the fact my experiences with 'some' boarders on piste have been not that great (including one incident which ended with my young daughter being pushed off a moving chairlift!).

I am actually quite open minded and also quite chilled (hence my liking the boarders I've chatted to and know rather than judging them all on *some* of my experiences) and although I have seen plonkers on blades I am sensible enough to know that they're not necessarily representative of all bladers. You seem to have taken my, and perhaps others, remarks above more seriously than they were intended. Smile
Quote:
as for wether people look good on skiboards/blades, (please dont take this as a personal dig), i have been around this site for a while now, and from what i have seen from pics vids etc, the vast majority should have a look at themselves before commenting on anyone elses skills

I guess that's not aimed at me... or is it? NehNeh
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Yep, 3ft of powder makes it extreemly, funny for people to watch, they become snowmen. Twisted Evil
snow report
roga, no was not directed at you, more towards the general attitude of the majority of the site. please dont think i am all worked up because of comments towards skiboarders/bladers, this is not the case. i just find its sad that people have to try and poke fun, at someones chosen method of sliding down a hill on snow. to me its all about having fun, which i am really good at wink
snow report
Dypcdiver, but thats not true of all skiboards, the boards i use are damn good in powder well over the knee. wether you believe it or not, some skiboards can be all mountain boards
ski holidays
graeme,
As a matter of interest are the boards easier in powder than all mountain skis or are you just good at using tham in that situation?
ski holidays
T Bar, i did not say they where easier than all mountain skis, but with good technique and skill level they are extremely good in powder
ski holidays
graeme, I apologise if my comments upset you, but the majority of people I see blading are often a danger to other slope users. They don't appear to have had any instruction or know the rules of the piste.

I have tried snowblades a couple of times and found them a useful tool for practising technique/balance. But I don't consider them a serious alternative to other forms of sliding on snow.
snow report
graeme,
I was not meaning to sound sceptical but am genuinely interested. Are they about the same as all mountain skis, easier or more difficult but good fun when you have the correct technique?
ski holidays
ssnowman, what about the skiers on slopes who are way out of there depth, surely there are a hell of a lot more of them than bladers. do you make comment on them? or is every skier you see performing end form perfect turns, in a controlled safe manner.
Quote:

have tried snowblades a couple of times and found them a useful tool for practising technique/balance. But I don't consider them a serious alternative to other forms of sliding on snow

and thats your choice to make, just like its other folks choice to use them, do they criticise your choice?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
graeme,
I was not meaning to sound sceptical but am genuinely interested. Are they about the same as all mountain skis, easier or more difficult but good fun when you have the correct technique?

no they are not as easy as all mountain skis. but like you say good fun with the correct technique. who wants them to be easy..... i dont.
latest report
graeme, You see bad skiers & boarders, but a disproportionate number of bad snowbladers.

You obviously aren't one of them and I am not criticising you. I'm just making an observation on the general standard of snowbladers, which I have witnessed on several occasions.
latest report
graeme, The title of the thread is snowblades, not skiboards. And yes I agree that blades can be a useful tool to get people to adjust their weight, however as a fun thing they have terrain limitations.
snow report
Dypcdiver wrote:
graeme, The title of the thread is snowblades, not skiboards. And yes I agree that blades can be a useful tool to get people to adjust their weight, however as a fun thing they have terrain limitations.

i agree, snowblades are very limited with regards to terrain
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
roga, no was not directed at you

No worries, just checking Smile
Quote:
more towards the general attitude of the majority of the site. please dont think i am all worked up because of comments towards skiboarders/bladers, this is not the case. i just find its sad that people have to try and poke fun, at someones chosen method of sliding down a hill on snow. to me its all about having fun, which i am really good at wink

Dare I suggest you are coming across as a little over-sensitive about this?

To be honest I don't think the majority of people here are poking fun or whatever, unless of course I've missed it in other threads?

I'm more than happy to accept that there are excellent bladers out there and you may be one of them, however:
Quote:
the majority of people I see blading are often a danger to other slope users. They don't appear to have had any instruction or know the rules of the piste.

In all honesty that's my experience too, as I said above, that's not a criticism of you or of good bladers (who I have only seen on plastic, and they were ski instructors using them for a specific purpose) it's simply a statement of what I have seen with my own eyes.
snow report
Roit... that's why the big mountain guys rip AK on blades.

Unless, of course you mean that they are far less stable, so you can feel extreme at 15mph on a blue... Twisted Evil Laughing
snow conditions
Snowblades are for losers.

No grown man or woman should be seen with them in public.
snow conditions
Whitegold, Laughing .......you'll be in trouble again!!!! wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
whitegold loves them really wink
ski holidays
graeme, Whitegold is a secret snowblader wink Laughing Laughing Laughing .
snow conditions
R32, i doubt it....lol but i feel he has a soft spot for the short boards Very Happy
latest report
I'm not going to argue that blades/boards/whatever might be reasonably competent at stuff. However, I don't see how they can outperfom skis? Like, powder blades sound like the most ridiculous thing ever. Why would you want to be in powder on blades? How can they possibly perform as well as proper skis? Icelantics seem to be about the limit of how short you'd want to go, and the Scouts feel like they're pushing it unless you want to do what they were designed for, ie tight trees in powder.

As for you being good enough to show up someone on skis up - surely someone competent on proper skis will make any snowblader look a bit silly?

Give me some 130mm waisted 195cm skis anyday over 99cm/70mm Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy