Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are most snowHeads real skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, I cant believe you just used the word "stoked", you dude wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I prefer to think of myself as a surreal skier

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elbrus wrote:
Spyderman, can you ski on cairngorm?

It has been known in my dim and distant past. Toofy Grin I haven't been to Aviemore for about 15 years though. When there's enough snow to ski there, the roads are blocked and when you can get there, ther's no snow. Still the Whisky's good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ahh..whisky, that is another must do..!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,' s
Quote:

............. now i'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... someone's obviously shown you two shovels and invited you to take your pick Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:
you need to have been unable to move downhill due to the wind blowing uphill...run out of run and stopped dead on some heather

Yay Very Happy I must be a real skier - I've done that in Scotland snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done it in Megève - which so many people reckon as tame! rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the past few years the only holidays I've had have been skiing holidays, and I go as often as I can. At the moment I only ski on pistes, though hope to expand to the softer, and bumpier stuff at some point. When I'm on a slope I try to ski to the best of my abilities, and constantly try to improve. I hasten to add that this approach has never removed the fun aspect from my skiing So where would I fit on the real/holiday/fake scale of things Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

someone who's more interested in skiing that in the pub,

I'm really passionate about both, actually!!!!

I think real skiers are people who have an opinion about skiing in the middle of summer and find websites to do so.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Phil Jordan, You're real!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, using easiski's criteria:

When I say a 'real skier' I mean someone who goes skiing for more than 6 days a year - yes, at least 12, I hope in 2008 it will be 18
someone who wants to be (or may already be) a good skier - certainly want to be, but not hopeful of success
someone who actively wants to improve their skiing - yes
someone who aspires to (or already does) own their own skis - yes, already do
someone who's more interested in skiing that in the pub - yes, though a good pub doesn't come amiss either
someone who spends time talking about skiing when they're not doing it (that's most Snowheads who post) - yes, obviously.

A holiday skier is more interested in the pub than skiing - no, but see above
a holiday skier isn't at all interested in skiing well, or learning to do so - interested, but pessimistic
a holiday skier wouldn't go off piste - belatedly have got the bug, the only holiday so far booked is a course of off-piste instruction
they will never ski more than one week a year - would ski a lot more if I could, but not to the extent of foregoing other, interesting, non-snowy holidays altogether
wouldn't dream of going to a snowdome or a dry slope - sorry, really not keen on the idea, find it quite alarming and unattractive. Don't really like doing any sport indoors.
A holiday skier is someone who may like to clock up mileage, not for the sake of skiing but for the sake of boasting to their pals - I do like clocking up mileage, but to see lovely views, not to boast.

So, I assess myself as a not-more-than-borderline real skier, particularly since I've never skied in Scotland and the chances of my going there are somewhat less than nil. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
I've never skied in Scotland and the chances of my going there are somewhat less than nil. Toofy Grin

Why?

I ocasionaly visit England for a weekend or so why not come and sample the delights of Scotland Puzzled We realy are quite friendly up here Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II, I have and will again - but not to ski. The descriptions above say it all, really. And whilst I wouldn't describe myself as a fair weather skier, there are limits! The descriptions of the food alone, never mind the conditions (good food is an important ingredient of skiing for me, also probably tilts the balance against my being a real skier) are enough to turn one's stomach!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
II, I have and will again - but not to ski. The descriptions above say it all, really. And whilst I wouldn't describe myself as a fair weather skier, there are limits! The descriptions of the food alone, never mind the conditions (good food is an important ingredient of skiing for me, also probably tilts the balance against my being a real skier) are enough to turn one's stomach!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ok don't come then
There are 5 restaurants with in 10 miles of me that are excellent! And I live on an island off the coast of the mainland in the middle of nowhere

Don’t believe all the crap you read. If you want posh stay here: http://www.inverlochycastlehotel.com/index.html
£400 a night (in the off season i.e. winter)
Or stay here: http://www.cairngorm.com/ which is reasonably priced and has a great bar.

Skiing can be good too it tends to be best in March

Please don’t dismiss it out of hand
Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
II, You're very persuasive! Honestly, I loved the bits of Scotland that I've seen (not a huge amount, but a bit) and have eaten very well there too. But you must admit that the descriptions of the nitty-gritty of Scots skiing in this thread are not exactly encouraging, unless you're super-gnarly, which I'm not.

(I spent a week sailing around the Western Isles a very long time ago. It was so-o-o beautiful. September, showers, sunshine and more rainbows than you could shake a stick at. Gorgeous.)
snow conditions
Quote:

Skiing can be good too it tends to be best in March

Quote:

I spent a week sailing around the Western Isles a very long time ago. It was so-o-o beautiful. September

Good for you guys!

The world is full of inpatient people who skis rocks & dirts in November so they got sick of it by end of Feb and quits. They then go swimming in melting ice in June and start waxing their ski by Sept.!

For the rest, the mountains are empty of people but full of nice soft snow in March/April. Or enjoy quiet beaches and warm water in Sept/Oct! Wink
snow report
Hurtle, what's the matter with pie and beans? Scotch pie, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............. *nostalgia* Preferably with chip shop sauce.

Though definitely not very often, admittedly.
snow conditions
Hurtle, Scottish skiing is not all that bad! Checkout the various photos from last year.

OTOH you started this thread in response to my remark on the other - and I never said anything about scottish skiing! Peeps here are not looking at my criteria, but are thinking of a real skier as a radical/hardcore skier. I don't agree. I still believe that most Snowheads are enthusiastic skiers who go on holiday to ski, who want to ski and enjoy skiing. The others just go on a holiday that happens to be in a ski resort - totally different. By your own post above, in my eyes, you are a real skier!
ski holidays
easiski, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Surely by the fact that you're a Snowhead, says that skiing is a little more than a Holiday. To spend so much time here, be it, looking for a weather report, reviewing a ski, renting a chalet, means that it's (skiing) is high up on your list of proirites. I ask all my clients, "Is skiing the first thing you put on your calendar at the start of each year?". Maybe it is, maybe they only go once a year, but it's important to them. The likes of the families that get dragged out here/there with them maybe the type of client Charlotte's refered to as the worst type of client, but i don't see this type of person popping up on SH's.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you're cute! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you're cute! Toofy Grin

You're in trouble wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hurtle, Because of................................ Puzzled
latest report
I agree with SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think most snowHead 's are real skiers because they are enthused by their hobby/sport, that is why they are on this site. They may not be good skiers but so what. Being a good skier is relative, by whos standard of skiing do you define good? I am a skier that will do any slope and not keep too many waiting, I broke my leg off piste many years ago and have a hang up about off piste.

I go on a few ski trips each year but I would not classify myself as a "real skier" because I dont know what that means. I enjoy my holidays, the scenery, beer/pernod and the food. You should be able to have fun on snow and that is what is important to me. If you prefer to be out on the mountains rather than in the office that should be all the grading criteria as a real skier, snowplough or parralel, groomed or off piste, first timer or seasonaire if you have caught the bug, maybe just maybe you should be given the badge "Real Skier"!!!!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, 'cos your post was full of goodwill and bonhomie and, anyway, I've now seen a picture of you! wink
snow conditions
Hurtle, ?

http://www.cham3s.com/uk/contact.asp

I don't always look so worried, i was being told that footbeds were a waste of money.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Shocked That's an awful piccy of you Laughing
latest report
I ski almost every weekend if the conditions are good during the season. Normally 25-30 days per year
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, Any better? Laughing

Catalogue man!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Great pix, Cutie!
snow report
Quote:

I still believe that most Snowheads are enthusiastic skiers who go on holiday to ski, who want to ski and enjoy skiing. The others just go on a holiday that happens to be in a ski resort - totally different.

I guess I've not met any "holiday skier" by that definition. I never know they exist. If I don't want to ski, I'd pick a holiday by the beach! No sense go to the mountain in winter and NOT ski...

I think the skier population spread alone the entire spectrum, from the radical/hardcore to the "near" holiday skier who spend more time in the pub/shop than on slope. Well, hey, I've been known to do that when the snow was bad! Wink

Most fall into the broad middle of that range, having an enjoyable holiday by being on snow! I'm sure I'm one of them. Lately, I no longer bother to go just when I have time. Nor do I "make time" to ski. Both of which I used to do. Maybe I once WAS a 'real' skier? Puzzled

Nowadays, I ski ONLY when there's lot of snow, I have lots of time AND need some fresh air. Or the destination is specially beautiful and I've not been to before. I think I fall dangereously close to being a "holiday skier"!!! Shocked
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, If only I was 20 yrs younger ! wink Laughing

I consider myself boarderline 'Real Skier' :

> I am aiming to improve my technique by going on skiing courses and having lessons

> I now ski more than 3 weeks per year

> I forego summer holidays to allow me to ski more

> I have skied off-piste

however:

> I am never the first on the lift, or last down the mountain

> I still stop for long lunches

> I enjoy the apres as much as the skiing

> I do not own my own ski's as I'd rather wreck someone elses

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-08-07 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

SMALLZOOKEEPER, If only I was 20 yrs younger !

This morning you'd be grinning from ear to ear. wink
snow report
Quote:

> I now ski more than 3 weeks per year

> I forego summer holidays to allow me to ski more

> I have skied off-piste

however:

> I am never the first on the lift, or last down the mountain

> I still stop for long lunches

> I enjoy the apres as much as the skiing

> I do not own my own ski's as I'd rather wreck someone elses

All of that applies to most people who are working their umpteenth season.
latest report
Lizzard, Really? I would have thought that those working their umpteenth season, would:

> Own their own skis

> Not have long lunches

> Would be first in the lift queue and/or last down the mountain when their work permitted
snow report
IncogSkiSno,
Own my own skis? I've got a test center! Toofy Grin
Long Lunch? How long is a baguette?
First in the queue, Last down? There aint no queue where it's worth queing up! Last down? Only if i ski on my own! Toofy Grin
snow report
IncogSkiSno, actually, most of us do have our own kit - I should have missed that out. However, when you're here all of the time you do stuff other than slide down hills (particularly when conditions are such that you've seen three people go home injured in the space of a week) - washing, shopping, reading, watching DVDs, eating lunch, generally having a life. It's not the same as paying for a week's holiday and having to get your money's worth.
snow report
Well according to easiski's definition I'm a real skier i.e. I care more about skiing than the pub etc, even if I can't afford my own skis.

I go on 'holiday' for the skiing. Apres Ski doesn't bother me (unless it's partying with sH lol) and certainly not hanging out in the pub bragging. Lunch is a nessecity (sorry for spelling) no another chance to sit and brag. When I'm not skiing I wish I was. It's more than just a sport, it's complete escapism for me.
snow conditions
Quote:

nessecity (sorry for spelling)

necessity

You doing a season next year then?
snow conditions
Hi y'all just found this thread and had to comment:

easiski wrote:
When I say a 'real skier' I mean someone who goes skiing for more than 6 days a year, someone who wants to be (or may already be) a good skier, someone who actively wants to improve their skiing, someone who aspires to (or already does) own their own skis, someone who's more interested in skiing that in the pub, someone who spends time talking about skiing when they're not doing it (that's most Snowheads who post).

A holiday skier is more interested in the pub than skiing, a holiday skier isn't at all interested in skiing well, or learning to do so, a holiday skier wouldn't go off piste, they will never ski more than one week a year, and wouldn't dream of going to a snowdome or a dry slope. A holiday skier is someone who may like to clock up mileage, not for the sake of skiing but for the sake of boasting to their pals.

I think that's enough to be going on with.... ergo, reading very quickly through the posts already - most Snowheads (who post) are 'real' skiers. Very Happy

I skied five weeks last year, four the year before, three the year before that. I think this is called 'Snowheads syndrome' Embarassed - These were all holiday trips though snowHead This year we aren't doing any summer hols to save budget for skiing, 3-5 weeks planned so far!

I'd like to be a 'good' skier, but am pretty happy just being able to get round the mountain. Solid interf*kinmediate - that's me. Improving is a goal, but I'm not 'driven by it.

I do own my own ski's (punters B2's of course Very Happy )

Skiing and pub go hand in hand, as the song says 'you can't have one without the other' Very Happy

Of course I talk about it when I'm not doing it, I mean it's August and what forum am I posting on?

Given all the above I must be a 'real' skier by eazyski's definition, but I think I'm really a Holiday skier at heart. I'm too old, too fat and too fond of beer to get 'serious' about it snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy