Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are most snowHeads real skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
The following is, by request, cut and pasted from another thread.

easiski,:
Quote:
Since I can ski everywhere I want to, I like to be able to choose a run for it's character.

gortonator,:
Quote:
there's a whole mountain to explore limited only by one's imagination

For myself, I can only say "I wish!", but then I do wonder how true the following statement is:
Quote:
most Snowheads are real skiers, and not just holiday 'travelling' skiers

Any comments?
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see skiing as my favourite sport rather than something I do on holiday. I guess quite a lot of other SHs think that way?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of them are blatantly 'just' holiday skiers.

However, I can't be bothered with all this snobbery. I'm very fond of the holiday skier, since he pays my mortgage and keeps me fed. And if everyone out there was a skiing obsessive, you'd all be an extremely tedious bunch of anoraks (albeit expensive GoreTex anoraks). I really can't be @rsed with yet more threads about pole plants and where to put your edges. rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a holiday skier and proud of it. I know my limitations but am happy having lessons to improve. Not prepared to get fit and lose weight though.
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, yes, but a holiday skier who goes 4+ times per year, is seeking technique improvement and who spends considerable quantitites of time actually discussing skiing. In other words, a real skier. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with Lizzard on this one. I can't see what's wrong with 'just' being a holiday skier if that's what you want to do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just to clarify, i am not a realskier Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a holiday skier,

Twice a year abroad, plus probably the British XC champs like last year and then as many days as possible either teleing, touring or xc in scotland Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, Me too ... 35 years ago I'd like to have thought otherwise though. I'm in the last decile of skiers here by far .

I 'think' that easiskiwas referring to 'mileage' , maybe not.

Am I 'real skier'? No, nor ever can be but I will enjoy myself.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
FenlandSkier, I don't think anyone has a problem with that, it's more the :

"Resort SmallButGnarly is crap, we skied it out in a morning and were totally bored, and all that 3 foot deep powder made the steps up to the bar such a pain. We so much preferred Resort HugeNumberOfIdentikitBlandMotorways, wouldn't look at anywhere with less than 3400 km in future"

... type of mentality that was referred to.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My new sock puppet will be a 'real skier'.

Watch this space.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's the differnece between a holiday skier and someone for who skiing is a sport?

It's a sport to me, but one I'm not great at and only get to practice once or twice a year. When on holiday

Likewise Hockey is my sport, which I enjoy weekly but am still no good at!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a plastic skier Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, just spotted which thread the question was spawned from so I'm with you now, I was just going by the question in this thread title and the implied definition of a real skier in:
Quote:

I like to cover miles of red/blue/black pistes with the odd bit of off-piste thrown in too. I can often be found skiing off little jumps and bumps, other times I like trying to ski backwards or on 1 leg. Sometimes I try to do more than 1 of those at the same time but it usually ends up messy Toofy Grin
That's what I like doing on a mountain, whether it's real skiing or not.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, dont know about real skier, but you certainly are a real muppet on the slopes. Very Happy
snow report
I'm a holiday skier, because when I ski, I am on holiday.

I'm also fanatical about improvement, which I think has been slow but steady. I think if if my abilities had remained static, I'd have got bored long ago. I like new challenges, and I like to be slightly scared at times. I wouldn't have that pottering about on blues and easy reds.
latest report
Quote:

I'm definitely "just" a holiday skier. The day I "work" while skiing is probably the day I give it up!

Improving technique isn't work though. It's part of the fun.

As for the 'travelling' part, I do them in an airplane instead. Once I get to the resort, I stay put. Happily skiing the same part of the mountain that has the best snow for the day/week. Sometimes repeating a single piste multiple times.
snow report
Quote:

I am more of the 'travelling' skier. I do not have the ability for the first two groups in any case. I love to cover the full area to experience the different views that are available and just to enjoy the mountain experience with family and/or friends. I would love to do a ski touring trip, but have neither the abiliity or fitness, so in the meantime I shall continue to enjoy staying on the pistes and exploring from one end of the resort to the other or if possible from one resort to another.

If that means others consider me to not be a real skier it doesn't bother me at all. I am happy snowHead
snow conditions
I think I fall into the definition of a holiday skier and I'm not ashamed of it! I know my limits in skiing off piste and steeper / bumpier stuff but do try to push the envelope in my own limited way. But I really do appreciate traveling the miles and doing lots of runs - yes some runs are good to yo-yo but it's not what really turns me on - and that's what's important to me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's an artificial distinction, and worse, a flawed distinction.

There are so many of us who move from being close to 'real' to being close to 'holiday'. I'm a real holiday skier; I try to improve but I'm not great. Most of all I enjoy the sport, the mountains, and the company. The real question is how many angels dance well on the head of a pin and how many dance badly - now that would be worth knowing.

David
snow report
DJ, indeed - the whole argument os a load of old b0llocks really.
snow conditions
I am a Realskier....I worship at the temple of Harb.
PMTS is The Way

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Are any real skiers, Snowheads? Laughing Cool
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ... lateral man .... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, Are you a, 'Real Snowhead', now i'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm a real SNOWBOARDER Madeye-Smiley
latest report
norris, SNOREBOREDOM. Toofy Grin
snow report
The game's up, I confess

I'm a counterfeit skier, fabricated in the sweatshops of southern China and of vastly inferior quality

..........but I'm a real snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:

However, I can't be bothered with all this snobbery.

hear hear, after all one man's real skier is another man's gaper.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, I hope no childern were used in your fabrication! Sic.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
dozens, how can I cope with the shame?
latest report
Martin Nicholas, A child Orgy, (Vommits), yeah you should be asshamed. Twisted Evil
snow report
I think the distinction was articulated in an editorial in Fall line - if skiing is just something nice you do on holiday but could equally be substituted for sightseeing, safari, lying on a beach etc then you are not a real skier. If going without your annual trip (or whatever) is unthinkable then you might be a real skier.

I don't really look on skiing as a holiday - its something I do. Its just that living in a non-Alpine country necessitates it being a bit of a mission every time I want to go.
latest report
You're only a 'Real Skier' if you've skied on Cairngorm.
ski holidays
Spyderman, and glencoe, or slid across the heather at the Lecht Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
You're only a 'Real Skier' if you've skied on Cairngorm.

Yes all come to Scotland and ski at Cairngorm Little Angel I real do hope it lasts another season Sad -So I can have Nevis to myself Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
just to clarify, i am not a realskier Madeye-Smiley

Just to clarify, I am a realskier
ski holidays
Spyderman, well in that case I am - thanks for that my selfesteem restored - does that also make you a real skier if you're not a fair-weather skier?
ski holidays
If you are talking about skiing in August - when I suspect most of those in the UK who will go skiing this season (on a single 1 week trip with a TO to somewhere low in Austria or France) are not even thinking of snow - then maybe you are some sort of real skier?

But as Lizzard says - the argument is toss in any case. It is the average punter who keeps most resorts open.

I am with abc - the minute it stops being fun and starts being work, I am off to do something else.
latest report
Quote:

Any comments?

My comment is that if this question matters to you, define yourself as you will, nobody will mind (or care?).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy