Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to SKI!!!

Poster: A snowHead
oafc0000, if thinking of 14 days the states // canada is a real option
can only speak of whistler, which can be a bit pricey, but and this is a good but
great ski area for all levels
very good instruction
the village has good bars and nightlife i think is ok (normally too tired after day skiing and a few drinks)
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skicanada2006/index.html
has some details. Been twice now and the other advantage is there are normally some snowheads out there too.
drop us a line if you want to hear more
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you live in Manchester, wait until November when Chill Factore opens!!! They will really be focusing on high quality ski teaching and will have a very highly qualified and experienced ski school.

www.chillfactore.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no such thing as able to ski / not able to ski though after 2 weeks you should be able to get down the majority of the pistes (or almost all at an easy resort). You will go on learning more for many years. In fact there is always more to learn. However more and more of your time will be taken up with free skiing. When you go you will probably still do well to do most mornings at ski school even if you have done several dome days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oafc0000,

For 10 - 14 days, then definitely think of Canada. Banff is an excellent place to go at the time you're thinking of going: the snow is good and reliable, and the temperatures are fine. Also the scenery is great.

- Remember when you look at TO packages, that most of the accomodation is in hotels, and you'll have to factor in eating out each night - but that's actually not too expensive, especially with a favourable dollar exchange rate.

With regard to instruction, there are a number of packages available, the quality of the instruction is superb, and it's all in English. - I recommend the Club Ski programme which is a 3-day programme of lessons where you are in small groups with the same instructor each day. - Each day you visit a diferent ski area. It's popular enough that some people sign on for another 3 days immediately they've completed one programme.

There's also a good spread of terrain, so you can continually test yourself on something more challenging, as you improve.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Make up your mind to go and pick the date avoiding peak times like half term, Xmas etc and leave the booking until late. The best prices will start to show about 1 month before. Spend the rest of the time on a dry slope or snowdome ..whichever you prefer but they are both HUGE sompromises although less so at an early learning level, to take the hassle out of it all being so new to you all at once.

Try not to put it back to 2009 as you will only regret the time lost...as well all do...!!!!!! If you get regular on here, I don't think you will be able to hold out until 2009 anyway
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger, I dont really have enough holidays at work for that, but thanks for the suggestion!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

whistler, which can be a bit pricey, but and this is a good but
great ski area for all levels
very good instruction

I'd agree. My very first ski trip (as an adult) was to Whistler. I had a week of really good instruction and loved the resort. If you're going for 2 weeks Canada is great because you can check out Vancouver if you want a break.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, the new on they are building in Manchester looks really good and im sure I will be visiting it!!!

Im going to go to the one in Stafford before the end of September to take advantage of the 50% discount and do the ski in a day for £65!

Im guessing the one in manchester wont be as cheap with it being so new!

Once it is open though it will be better for practicing!

Cheers for all the advice Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade, was talking to the lady about Whistler and her eye lit up when she saw it was near Vancouver and seattle......

Think of doing 10 days in whistler and visting vancouver and seattle while over there!

might be a plan Smile

See how things go first. Am I better waiting for last min deals then or booking early on a package ??

Also do they offer excursions to the likes of Vancouver etc ??? Or is it better/cheaper to head out of the resort and do that stuff at the end of the holiday aka DIY instead of Package....

cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oafc0000, if you know when you want to go to Whistler, then my advice would be to price round, and book as soon as you can.

Some of the tour operators that go there will offer day trips to Vancouver, or you can get a bus there. You might also be able to do a city/resort holiday with some of them.

I'd recommend Ski Independence, based on my personal experience. (please note, I'm not affiliated with them, nor paid/encouraged to advertise their services)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, cheers for the advice
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thewahwah, Simon is going to be teaching in and around Sunshine this coming seasion, so he will be there!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Also do they offer excursions to the likes of Vancouver etc ??? Or is it better/cheaper to head out of the resort and do that stuff at the end of the holiday aka DIY instead of Package....

Actually, it's (kind of) the other way around. You fly into Vancouver (literally) then take the bus to Whistler... Wink -- so, it's not so much an excursion, rather a stop over.

To get to Seattle, though, you probably would need to hire a car. Or get on with any local tour company in Vancouver that runs excursions to the US...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, Finally,a vote for our very own instructress(sp)easiski Very Happy

oafc0000, My whole family learnt at Tamworth.I did the LTSIAD several years ago,and it was excellent.As suggested,it is hard work,and takes a certain commitment.Beware the adult problem,as in,"I'm never going to master this" Confused For the first hour(or several)you will feel like a duck on a gate.All of a sudden your feet have grown to 5ft long.It takes a bit of getting used to!Then it clicks.Listen and learn.As you have till 08/09 you have plenty of time to reach a decent standard(for a dome)but its a poor substitute for the real thing.Beware bad habits...very easy to adopt...a booger to un-learn(I should know wink )Take lessons-watch 'good' skiers-stay with this site,there's many a decent skier on here and there advice is free and freely given Very Happy
Get on the snow...you will never regret it(though your wallet might Laughing )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowskisnow, my plan is to get at the lessons. Aka do the Ski for a day...then vist a few times practicing what i have learnt on that course. Then take the next lesson, practice, next lesson, practice.....do you think thats a good formula not to pick up bad habbits ?

cheers
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
thewahwah, Simon is going to be teaching in and around Sunshine this coming seasion, so he will be there!

That's brilliant news; well done Simon. I am now incredibly tempted to go back to Banff myself, -26 degrees C you can't beat it! Skullie Very Happy Thanks for the update, veeeight.
snow report
oafc0000, Assuming you see the course through, this will take you to a theoretical (Snowdome) level of Level 4. The best course of action from there on is to return for another say 5 hours solo practice at the snowdome (again, cheap rates in the summer, plus discounted coaching sessions on Weds nights) - then on the advise of the instructor, think about taking a Level 5 or 5/6 combi lesson, this will get you to a stronger level of skiing.

In this way you get to consolidate and practice after your LTSIAD, and then at Level 5/6 refine, and get those bad habits knocked out!
snow conditions
The big advantage of snowdome (or even dryslope) lessons is you don't spend most of your holiday down at the bottom of the mountain on the nursery slopes - you get the thrill of the high mountain setting and long distance travel right from the start.
snow report
I agree with BG, I would advise having your first couple of lessons on the dry slope because it's a hell of a lot cheaper, especially as all you're doing is getting your boots on, feeling your skis, swinging them around a bit and going 10 yards in a snow plough. Once you have the basics, then move on to the indoor slopes and you'll get much better value as you should now be able to do a bit more.
Out of Castleford and Tamworth, Castleford has the edge but for the beginner stages it really doesn't make much difference as you'll only be using a small part of the slope.
snow conditions
I totally agree that it'd be a good idea to get some lessons before going, that way you'll be able to enjoy the 'real' thing all the more.

IMHO there are pros and cons with both domes and dry - domes have snow, or a close approximation, so they're closer to the real stuff than plastic matting. However if you can only make it at peak times (e.g. weekends for learn to ski in a day courses) they are generally far more crowded and that's a bit of a pain to be honest. They're also indoors so you'll spend a whole day in what is essentially a great big shed which, IMHO, is not as pleasant as being outdoors. They are also quite expensive although you'll get discounts at this time of year and certainly the learn to ski in a day course at Tamworth is pretty good value over the summer. Dry slopes will tend to be less crowded, cheaper and more relaxed (IMHO) and are great for learning and developing technique. However the surface is not as much fun as snow, and is harder and much more unpleasant to fall on, although Tamworth has a pretty hard surface too, and only offers an approximation of what you'll experience on the 'real thing' but it is outdoors and that's pretty nice as long as it's not pouring with rain.

Horses for courses really but I've never understood why a few people are so anti dry slopes, they serve a purpose and have some definite plus points IMHO. Smile

P.S. I should add that I do a lot of skiing, including instructor training, at Gloucester dry slope and ski at Tamworth usually once a month. I'm also intending to try a learn to snowboard in a day course at Tamworth - basically because I want try it but don't fancy falling on my backside (or face!) on a dry slope when learning to board!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-07-07 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
oafc0000, Nicely summed up by veeeight, though I would add that,if possible, make sure your partner follows the same course of action.There is nothing more frustrating than skiing as a couple when one is at a different level of competence(I could write a book on this rolling eyes )
If you go the Tamworth route,worth checking out membership.Pays off for regular visits.
Best of luck.
ski holidays
I went on my first ever skiing trip in March. Loved it so much I joined snowHead and went a month later with this lot, and am doing so again later this year...

I had some lessons on the dry slope at Rossendale before my first trip and found it very hard work and not a lot of fun despite having an excellent instructor. People do say learn on plastic and you'll find snow a doddle, what I found was learn a bit on plastic and find the feel so utterly different on snow that what you learnt needs re-learning anyway, apart from how to put the skis on and get up when you fall over. Others may disagree, that's just my 5ps worth as someone who's been a total beginner very recently. In your situation I'd do the Caslteford thing or Chill factore once that's open over a dry slope any day. I guess the main thing you need to factor in is price, but lessons at Rossendale were far from cheap anyway...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 24-07-07 13:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
oafc0000, If you plan on taking 14 days holiday for skiing next winter two 1 week holidays is another option. First week somewhere less expensive like Andorra/Bulgaria so you pay only for what you are likely to use as a beginner then for the second week go to a mega resort in Europe.

Allow a few weeks break inbetween for recovery and skiing ideas to bed down, that way you will be eager for the second week with all sorts of ideas to put into practice.
latest report
Quote:

People do say learn on plastic and you'll find snow a doddle

This is one of those things that can be true or false, depending on when you transfer from plastic to snow(dome).

From my experience, those that have had less than say 4 hours on plastic will find that the first time they go onto snow they can't stop nor turn, there is much more (relative) friction on plastic that people don't necessarily know how to form an effective plough to be able to stop them on snow.

However, more than say 5 hours on plastic, then onto snow, most people can adapt better as they have that much more skill and experience.
snow report
Some interesting advice there....

I think the snow dome is better for me by a country mile!! I think the softer it is when you fall over the more of a chance we have at sticking at it / it being more fun. And I know I have never done this yet but it doesn’t take a genius to work out that the snow in the snowdome is going to be closer to what I will experience on the mountain than plastic matting. I checked out the prices at Rosendale and all in all its not actually that cheap anyway. Defo the snow dome for me! Seems like a great way to get my skill and confidence up.

Interesting point by PisteHead about doing one week in a very cheap resort and then one in a big resort..

What’s peoples thoughts on this ? Is that better than doing a solid 14 days somewhere? The wife did mention that we might get bored skiing for 14 days solid…..I know you guys would love that but I suppose you need to see it from are inexperienced points of views…..

Is there anywhere u can go in Europe where snow is granteed ? Or should we look to book last min ???
snow report
Also Im guessing tirdness and fatigue comes into it......

Some time to recover might be a good thing!
latest report
I don't know how these guys did it. I started skiing with weekend trips. Granted, I lived near snow then. I did remember not just tired, but actually hurting all over (from the falls) after a couple DAYS!

So, something to think about. Maybe a trip that combines skiing with some sightseeing in places you want to go anyway. So you get some recover time.

On the other hand, first time snowboarders all say a week is the best, while first time skiers have mixed opinions. While we're at it, have you thought about snowboarding as an option?
snow report
oafc0000, I think 2 separate weeks is a great idea - recovery time is important, and it gives you the option of trying somewhere different. Even if you aren't bored with the skiing you may well want something different for apres.

I would choose a "learning week" in advance, then wait and see where you fancy for the second week say 4 weeks later.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, Yea....and wife quickly dismissed the idea NehNeh So thats as far as it went NehNeh Dont ask me why but it really didnt appeal to her. God im under the thumb Smile
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, cheers

Is it worth me having lessons on the mountain if I can already ski thank to the snow dome ?? Wouldnt want to waste time/money learning what i might already know ??
snow report
oafc0000, Tamworth Snowdome for LTSIAD. At that value it'd be foolish not to, then in resort you'd stand a chance of getting off the nursery slopes.

As for skiing/recreational time - go to Whistler. Plenty of things to do when not skiing.
latest report
oafc0000 wrote:
abc, Yea....and wife quickly dismissed the idea NehNeh So thats as far as it went NehNeh Dont ask me why but it really didnt appeal to her. God im under the thumb Smile

Image thing, I believe.

Snowboarders are usually protrate as MALE outlaw teenagers jumping off cliffs. Too bad, it's actually a lot of fun. You'll actually fit in quite well at your age group (20 something I recall reading somewhere?). When I took my lessons, the instrutors all look like teenagers! Wink
snow report
oafc0000 wrote:
holidayloverxx, cheers

Is it worth me having lessons on the mountain if I can already ski thank to the snow dome ?? Wouldnt want to waste time/money learning what i might already know ??

Oh dear...

YES!!!
snow conditions
oafc0000 wrote:

Are you for real?! or is this a troll? Try posting this in the Bend ze knees section!

Most of us still feel we need lessons after many many weeks on snow. I have skied about 50 weeks on snow added together, plus at least a hundred hours on plastic/snowdomes. Still need lessons. The idea of the dome is that it gets some of the first falls, acclimatisation to equipment and basic lessons out of the way before you hit the hill/
snow conditions
oafc0000 wrote:

Interesting point by PisteHead about doing one week in a very cheap resort and then one in a big resort..

What’s peoples thoughts on this ? Is that better than doing a solid 14 days somewhere? The wife did mention that we might get bored skiing for 14 days solid…..I know you guys would love that but I suppose you need to see it from are inexperienced points of views…..

Is there anywhere u can go in Europe where snow is granteed ? Or should we look to book last min ???

That is why I suggested the summer skiing... you could ski in snowdome... then ski on a glacier.... then ski a REAL winter ski...

Eg snowdome NOW - day trips
Les Deux Alpes - august/november (see thread on PSB)
then a winter ski trip

Summer skiing is cheap and not so crowded and you have a decent chance of getting a good instructor during the summer
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, no im not a troll I am just someone VERY new to it all.......

I do understand that you will always need more lessons and you can all get better! Thats the same with most things in life, But i didnt want to sign up for a ski school to be learning things i have already learnt..... That to me is common sense! Im all for learning new stuff but if im spending time learning the basics that I already know then that seems silly. How do you book lessons that match ur level ? Do you go private or do the ski schools match you ability wise ?

little tiger, the summer skiing sounds cool but I only have five days holidays left this year (until april) andf then I geta nother 24 from apirl onwards. So I was playing with idea of having a week away sometime this wainter in europe instead of 2009. Will have to see how my lessons go.
snow report
oafc0000, a good ski school should put you in a group that matches your ability, but don't underestimate the difference you will find between a snowdome and the mountain. Private lessons are of course tailored to suit.
snow conditions
oafc0000, can you not use any public holidays, flexidays etc ?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, ok, so the answer is defo yes to the ski school...cheers
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
oafc0000 wrote:

Are you for real?! or is this a troll? Try posting this in the Bend ze knees section!

I think you forgot a friendly winking smiley there... rolling eyes

He's a beginner, give 'im some rope matey NehNeh
Quote:
Most of us still feel we need lessons after many many weeks on snow. I have skied about 50 weeks on snow added together, plus at least a hundred hours on plastic/snowdomes. Still need lessons. The idea of the dome is that it gets some of the first falls, acclimatisation to equipment and basic lessons out of the way before you hit the hill/

Totally agree with that that though.

Learning to ski adequately (at least what I'd consider about adequate which would be early intermediate I guess) takes more than a handful of lessons. Learning to ski competently (something approximating to advanced intermediate) takes a lot more than that and learning to ski at an advanced/expert level IMHO means having lessons/coaching throughout much of your skiing career. Most people on holiday trips I suspect get somewhere between adequate and competent which, if they're happy and not a danger to themselves or anyone else on piste is cool Smile

The main thing is that you enjoy it and I'd suggest you'll enjoy it more if you have more than just the basic lessons, you'll also be safer too which is an important consideration.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy