Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to SKI!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Me and my lady are going to venture on to a piste sometime next year for a first Ski Holiday!!!!

Really want to learn before we go so been looking at local Ski domes and I need some advice!

Can I actually learn to Ski to a resonable level in this way ?

Am I right in thinking indoor "real" ski slopes are better to learn on than the "dry" ones ?

I have seen ad's for "Learn to ski in a day" at the ski dome....any good ? its only £65!

I live in Manchester and was thinking of going to the one in Staffordshire....anybody been ? Is it good ?

This is the place http://www.snowdome.co.uk/ .....any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oafc0000, Welcome to snowheads.

£65 is well worth it. Snowdomes are much better than dry slopes & it will give you a feel for the real stuff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oafc0000, Welcome to snowheads - good call Very Happy

you will get many different answers I expect, but IMHO dry slopes are awful - no substitute for the real thing. That said, I learned on a patch of slightly snow covered ice in austria late in the season rolling eyes

I would recommend either a Learn to ski week at a resort, they are usually good value with lift passes and ski hire all incldued. otherwise, even better (if you have enough pennies) have mrs oafc0000 share private lessons with you and that way you will progress more quickly, in my view. benefit of the learn to ski week is that you can ski in the group all day, have people around to celebrate (and maybe commiserate) with. private lessons (unless you have lots of pennies) won't be all day and you might find yourself wanting, and having the time, to ski but lacking the skill and confidence to go it alone.

I suspect that you coudl learn the basics in a day at the snowdome but I'll let others pitch in who have maybe tried that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oafc0000, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

IMHO the trip along the M62 to Xscape in Castleford may be better for you http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/castleford

Give them a ring and discuss group beginner lessons. Some friends of ours did them and said they were excellent value and were a great way of getting the basics.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow....cheers for the quick replies !!!!

I saw the Xscape in Castleford but they charge £150 each for a day! Will give them a call at lunch and see if they have any offers on.

Seems like its well worth us visting the snow domes before we head up the mountain! Defo going to give it ago. Cheers for the advice!

Would be intrested to hear anyones thoughts on the dome in Staffordshire if anyone has been!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oafc0000 wrote:
Wow....cheers for the quick replies !!!!

I saw the Xscape in Castleford but they charge £150 each for a day! Will give them a call at lunch and see if they have any offers on.

Seems like its well worth us visting the snow domes before we head up the mountain! Defo going to give it ago. Cheers for the advice!

Would be intrested to hear anyones thoughts on the dome in Staffordshire if anyone has been!!

I went regularly for several months, but that was 7 years ago now, before any of the Xscape ones opened.

It was always slightly thinnner "snow" than Xscape has, but perfectly adequate, and much better than dry slopes. The thinness of the cover just means it tends to feel harder when you fall.

It will certainly be worth you doing the "learn to ski in a day" course, but you will still want lessons when you get to the mountains. The day in the snowdome should get you up to at least the standard for level 1 lessons (rather than level 0 or "absolute beginner"), and this will make a big difference to your first day or two in the mountains.

Given that it will then be several months before you actually go to the mountains, you might well find it worthwhile going along another time or two just for a standard "recreational skiing" session (Wednesday evenings are the best value there, unless you are free during the day on weekdays), so that you don't forget it all again.

Incidentally, if you enjoy those sessions, then there will be no doubt at all you will really enjoy "real" skiing, with views and variable terrain, and decent length runs. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was planning on doing the days learn to ski and then keep going back for the extra lessons they offer and poping down just to practice as well......

I will give the Xscape people a call and see what deals they have. Its closer and by the sounds of it they are probably a bit better. If they want £150 each though I will go to the one in staffordshire and then do practice at the Xscape one.

Cheers for the help!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oafc0000, The summer deal for LTSIAD at Tamworth Snowdome is a good deal, esp. with the 2 course lunch thrown in (which you will need) Wink

I taught many of those courses over the past few years, and although it's not a guarantee, the aim is to get you down in controlled linked snowplough/plough-parallel turns from the top of the slope by the end of the day (depending on you).

Top tips: Get fit! Arrive early (30 mins)! Get boots that fit well, that are not too roomy! Put in as much as you can in the morning session, after lunch you will be very tired!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oafc0000, welcome to snowHead

Excellent deal, go for it! (and go back for more, if you have the option)

It will allow you to get more enjoyment out of your holiday, and will help with fitness.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Certainly worth a trip to snow dome place - a couple of hours there getting used to putting boots on, walking, carrying skis, standing on skis etc will save weeks in resort
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Tamworth discount their learn to ski in a day session's by 50% in the summer so they are very good value. My daughter who was 8 at the time did a similar course but over 2 sessions of 2 hours each. Well worthwhile as it really gives you a headstart and means that you can possibly skip the initial group in resort and are able to at least get around a bit in the afternoon after the first days lesson.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
there is on opening next to the trafford centre have a look on the internet to see when it opens it will be better for you if that opens this year
welcome to snowheads mate snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oafc0000, it's worth giving it a go at a snow dome, you will get some basics and means you'll have a foot up when you get on the piste

a full day will be tiring be warned
maybe a couple of lessons over a few days might work better?

where are you thinking of going on holiday ?

PS welcome to snowheads
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"where are you thinking of going on holiday ? "

Good question Smile I have no idea yet!!!!

I want grantee snow!!!! is that acutally possible ??? I heard about people going and there being no snow! Really dont want that to happen!

Im guessing Canada/USA would grantee snow ?

You guys tells me! Where am I best going ? Obviously would rather go France or somewhere is the snow was granteed!

Cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's your budget, how many are going, how important is nightlife, when are you going and for how long?
snow report
Budget: Whatever it needs to be.....but I dont want to pay over the odds....
How many: 2 (me and the girly)
Nightlife: Yeah would be nice to have some decent livly bars / resturants to go to....not intrested in clubbing really....
When: Next year winter im persuming NehNeh
How long: ....dont know 7 to 14 nights ??? how long do people normally go for...

Complete newbie Smile Very Happy
snow report
oafc0000, France, early - mid March. IMHO the best time to go skiing.
snow report
More on my budget......I have seen holidays ranging from £500 to £1000......so lets say im prepared to go up to £800 to £1000 per person.....
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, and North America is fab at that time. no queues, quiet pistes (perfect for learners), great snow, sunshine, not too cold......I'm pushing Breckenridge again Very Happy
latest report
oafc0000, is that for travel/accomodation/ lesson/ski hire/lift pass or does it include spends as well?

you'll soon learn that no matter how often you give moreinfo someone will think of something else to ask Very Happy
snow report
ha ha ha ha Smile

The price of the holiday.....aka Flights / Acommadation / transfers.....

Ski Hire and spends I can add on top! (unless i can get a deal that includes ski hire NehNeh)
ski holidays
oafc0000, For someone who is taking there first steps I would suggest a smaller resort but with folks who know the ropes. Your budget is quite high. and I have always fancied this place http://www.snowlife.co.uk/

Owners help you with arranging everything, a bit of luxury, good food, all you need arrange is flights. 8th March, gerrit booked. Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman

loooks cool....although I have nothing to compare it to Smile
ski holidays
I suppose it depends on how much time of your actual holiday you want to dedicate to lessons. IMHO £150 would pay for a lot of instruction actually on the real snow on the real mountain. That's how I'm learning. The snowdomes are fun for a day with friends, and you can undoubtedly learn the ski basics in one (though real snow may feel a little quicker), but if you are on a budget it could be that the money is better spent once in resort. I guess its horses for courses
snow report
oafc0000, To insert the name of someone in your text just click on their name in the left hand column. My view of new skiers as that they should avoid all the big expensive resorts (and those thousands of miles away) as they do not reqire lots of varied skiing. Smaller resorts tent to be quieter and cheaper. As a general rule, avoid February in Europe (school hols).
snow report
An addtional note.....the budget was my maximum budget.....if I can do it cheaper....that wouldnt be a bad thing SmileSmile
snow report
oafc0000, Would you prefer self catered appt, B&B, catered chalet or hotel?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, cheers for the pointers NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oafc0000, welcome to snowHead s.

Lots of good advice above.
One question which nobody has answered is duration of holiday.
I think that if you are both absolutely committed that skiing is going to be part of your lifestyle (esp after you have tried it on indoor snow) then a holiday longer than the traditional "week" (actually 6 days if it's a package) is a good way to start.
The problems with an initial 6 day holiday are that:
You are committed to ski every day whatever the weather because you don't want to miss out.
You will probably get quite tired at about day 3-4
You will leave the resort just as you are starting to ski happily independently - and perhaps not ski again for a whole year

My view is that if you take a 10-14 day holiday you can spend the extra days reinforcing what you have learnt and will have a much more gainful second holiday.

Well done for finding snowHead s before you even start, there is a wealth of expertise (and opinion!) here to draw on.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, some sort of catered chalet / appartment would be cool!
latest report
Nick L, that sounds like good advice!!!!

Ok defo going down the 14 day route!
snow report
oafc0000, I'll have to stick my oar in and thoroughly recommend Banff and Sunshine Village, in particular. Guaranteed snow and loads of it. They do a fantastic 'Discover Ski' program that takes absolute beginners (no more than 6 to a group) and provides them with 3 full days of lessons; skis, boots and poles for the duration; lift passes; and lunch including drinks for £200. No queues, empty slopes and pleasant, helpful staff. Combine this with a stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and you will be in absolute luxury. That and the Banff Springs is the first stop for the Ski Bus so you'll be first on it. I honestly cannot recommend it enough. If you decide to go for it you could request Simon Jones (The Ski Doctor) as your instructor (perhaps veeeight can tell us if Simon has had his contract renewed for Sunshine?). You will not regret it. Good luck! Smile
snow conditions
oafc0000,

Frosty the Snowman is steering you away from North America here, and he's right about avoidign resorts that are too big cos you just don;t need it (back to my patch of ice in austria). I only recommended Breck because it's a cruising, well groomed place on the whole with lots of quiet places where you can experience some variation without worrying about others whizzing past you.

Personally I find mainstream Europe (France) too busy, but since I bcame a snowHead I've had 1 trip to France, have booked another and may even do 2 more before the end of 2007-08 season! There are lots of places in Europe that are quiet but varied enough for beginners.
ski holidays
thewahwah, I'll ask (about Simon).
latest report
If you have no fixed ideas about where you want to go, and you are traveling as a couple, then don't even think of booking now.

Wait until 2-4 weeks before you go, when it will usually be pretty obvious where has decent snow and is likely to keep it, then find a last minute deal to somewhere that has. You will almost certainly get it cheaper than now, and you will be almost guaranteed snow doing it that way.

While others are saying to choose one of the smaller resorts, I would say don't go too small. You want somewhere large enough to have a decent ski school, and to have enough runs to provide a bit of variety. Some people are happy skiing one or two runs all week, but I suspect most would prefer to ski a larger number of runs. Personally, I would not recommend going for any resort with less than 60Km of runs listed, but I do agree that there isn't much point going for the mega resorts for your first week (often with mega lift pass prices).

Having said which, go where the snow is, even if that does mean a mega resort is your only option.

You will find it cheapest (main season) in the first two weeks of January (that is going out on one of the two weekends following new year), but snow is more sure as you move into February/March. Definitely avoid the last two weeks of February, and Easter, as demand is far too high, meaning you pay a lot more AND often suffer from overcrowded pistes and lessons.
ski holidays
Are we putting carts in front of the horses?

Wait till you had the first lesson, and maybe after a couple lessons, to have some idea what level you'll likely be skiing at when you do go to the REAL mountains...

Contrary to 'common sense', there's considerable benefit for beginer to spend the extra to go to resorts in western US. I've had several friends who didn't get very far in their 'beginer' stage in the east coast US resort but made significant progress once they moved west. The snow quality is generally softer, (read, slower = easier for beginer to learn on). And they spend so much mroe time skiing rather than standing in lift queues!

I can't speak for Canada. Colorado generally have good snow and sunny weather, making the holiday very enjoyable as a whole.
latest report
Thanks for the advice abc,

I know im probably rushing ahead of myself a little bit! But im very excited about it all. Been wanting to do this all my life and finally in a postion were I have the time and money to do it Smile (im 27)

Was looking at my avilable holiday and I wont be able to go until next winter....08/09 so im going to try and get as good as I can in the snow domes before I go....how good could I get by doing this ?? Would be cool if I didnt need lessons when I arrived and could start tackling the basic runs!
snow report
oafc0000, I suggest you consider learning to board instead, less items to carry and softer boots Very Happy
latest report
oafc0000 - I'd like to suggest an alternative to taking a trip to Tamworth or Castleford indoor snow domes. You're in Manchester, so why not get yourselves up to Ski Rossendale at the end of the M66, they offer a holiday learner / summer pass at £60 per person. For this you get 3 x 2 hour lessons then you can practice as often as you like for the rest of the summer (defined as 23/07/07 to 02/09/07) for FREE

If you take some initial quality instruction and combine this with extra practice time, it is perfectly possible to reach basic parallel standard prior to going on holiday. IMHO the more time you put in the more you get out, time spent practicing weather it is on artificial snow or 'nasty' plastic is far more important than the surface you learn on. Don't be put off by plastic, for many years we didn't have anything else. If you build skill on this surface you'll find your first time on snow a doddle, plus if the slope is within easy driving distance then your more likely to keep it up.

Having said all that once they open Chill Factor-e in Nov you won't find me on plastic Madeye-Smiley - only joking
latest report
oafc0000,

you could also look at summer skiing to get going - say Les Deux Alpes with easiski for lessons.... then you would be ripping along by winter....

summer is good price and usually good weather.... and you can do other stuff in afternoon and not be totally trashed in your first week of real live sliding...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy