Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Steep Is Steep?

brian
brian
It gets slightly more interesting as the cornice builds ...

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon wrote:
davidof, those look tantalizingly outside my comfort zone! (but yummy...)

As a general comment, it's sometimes hard to judge steepness from photos. For instance, the following two photos are of the same couloir - seen across a valley and then from within looking down, when skiing it. (but the guide did make us rappel the last 10 yards or so, mostly because it was frozen ice when it narrowed down).

That's just the difference between measuring up for a coffin and needing a new pair of ski pants. They both look steep Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I think your picture is a good one to caption.
I would say something like= 'now let me see if I can remember to get it right. I apply pressure to the downhill ski to turn or is it......?'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Holy crap! Shocked Shocked Shocked (Yes, I know I shouldn't have looked.) Still, I guess starting along there would save having to decide whether or not to jump in (see earlier posts) - you'd be in thin air for the first few seconds (minutes?) whichever way you started!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wonder why there are no tracks... wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
can't see how old the ones on the right are.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And even if you were crazy enough to go in off that cornice you'd probably find that it broke off and chased you down the mountain.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero wrote:
And even if you were crazy enough to go in off that cornice you'd probably find that it broke off and chased you down the mountain.....

yeah, hucking cornices looks good on the extreme ski videos but is not such a great idea in real life... they tend to break at unexpected moments if you are underneath. General backcountry practise is to break a section of the cornice with a ski or saw (you are preferably roped) to see if it takes out the wind loaded slope below, then ski through the gap. YMMV.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, I saw one break this year about 15 seconds after a couple of skiers went over it. They then stopped about 50m below it for a chat and take in the view. Luckily came down quite slowly so they had some time to get out of the way after some shouting from the lift - "BEHIND YOU !!" Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
.......General backcountry practise is to break a section of the cornice with a ski or saw (you are preferably roped)............

Never been beyond the crack line or likely crack line skiing. But when climbing in the snow, I was taught to treat cornices with great respect, and not go beyond the crack line un-roped or belayed. That said, I did it only for a week (a fantastic week in Glencoe) and so was very much a novice. Are you saying there are circumstances when a skier can be reasonably confident that a cornice won't give?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Are you saying there are circumstances when a skier can be reasonably confident that a cornice won't give?

no definitely not and I agree 100% with your post.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brian's photo shows the edge more as I remember it, with a big cornice. There were only two or three places to go in. II's photo, by contrast, makes the whole thing look possible, but perhaps that's because it was the start of the season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, Not my photo it's Ben Thorburn's.
Backtrack is the easyest entrance as you traverse across the steepest bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the slope with the cornice from the viewpoint of the photo, I wouldn't ski it. Even without the overhang the aspect of the slope is all wrong which might explain why the tracks ski off left. With just the photo to go on, the face looks like the start of a choke point, the steepness is the least of the problems here.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
This is the Backtrack entrance, the "advised" way in when they're worried about cornice collapse. There's a small lump of fencing at the top of the bit the skier's on to create a bank of snow to ski down. There's also an anchor point for a winch cat behind there but I've not actually seen them use it.

... and this is the view from the higher of the 2 entry points in the above photo.

ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
Never been beyond the crack line

But when skiing in Scotland you're always guaranteed that "the crack will be good"Smile
snow conditions
This one off Roche de Mio, near La Plagne is a steady 40 degrees for the first 300m or so ..... and a great favourite of some snowheads Very Happy

.... but conditions on the day are everything. This day was GOOD..!
snow conditions
BernardC wrote:
This one off Roche de Mio, near La Plagne is a steady 40 degrees for the first 300m or so ..... and a great favourite of some snowheads Very Happy

.... but conditions on the day are everything. This day was GOOD..!

Where abouts is this from the top of Roche?
snow report
BernardC, I was there last year and had a quick look.

Conditions were very hard, icy and rocky.

I'm ashamed to say I tinned it Embarassed
ski holidays
BernardC, But what a run out, surely you straight lined it?
snow report
II wrote:
snowball,
Backtrack is the easyest entrance as you traverse across the steepest bit.

Easiest, yes, but not the best IMHO. Instead of a long traverse the higher entry (at the other end of the bowl) gives you a nice long(ish) series of linked turns down the fall line (and since it starts higher you get more turns anyway).
snow report
From looking at those pics, I would have to agree with snowball; that Backtrack entrance looks OK/fun, but a bit/lot tame by the standards of this thread. A man of brian's kalyber should be going for the snowball route Shocked (cornices permitting of course).

BTW - the last time I was up at Nevis, there was only a rope tow on Aonach Mor (which we could see as we hiked along CMD), and it was before I'd started skiing. Maybe I need to rectify that Cool .
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:

I suspect until you get beyond 45 degrees the key factors are the width and the run-out. Anyone could hack a steep 20 metres, 200 metres is a different ballgame.

Excluding snow conditions, weather, rocks, cliffs and obstacles, this is spot on.

The difficulty of a piste is about length, angle and width (LAW).

It can be quantified, on a scale of 1 - 10.

10 is hardest, 1 is easiest.

The top section of the Valluga in St Anton, on average, might be:

L = 4 (it is just a few hundred meters)
A = 9 (it is 40 - 50 degs)
W = 8 (it is wide at the top, but narrows at the bottom)

Total = 21 / 30

Trifide 1 in La Grave, on average, might be:

L = 8 (1000 meters or so)
A = 9 (it is 40 - 50 degs)
W = 9 (it gets fairly narrow in places)

Total = 26 / 30

In short, anything over 20 out of 30 is steep and difficult.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, 's

Quote:

BernardC, But what a run out, surely you straight lined it?

...I negotiated this couloir with 'great aplomb & style', whilst singing etc, etc..... (one may observe that I am in 'Charlie' position .... overcome by the beauty of my surroundings .... Toofy Grin )

...... those persons of dubious parentage at the bottom & most of them boarders to boot, Toofy Grin more or less straight ligned it. I do know that one of them, Mo-mo went down seven turns - I know because I counted ... Cool

.....Mi said that he did it to escape my singing ...... Toofy Grin

(But what a great day on the Orange planks from the Zoo .... ! & this was just en-route to the Bellecote .... Very Happy ....

....... aaah..! ....starts me thinking of the great days that are next season .....

aaah.. a Hamlet moment..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Trifide 1 is just a longer version of the flypaper....
snow report
 brian
brian
GrahamN, been over both many's a time. What I haven't done yet is gone round to the next coire to do Spikes and Easy Gully (an easy winter climb not an easy ski btw). You really need the Braveheart running for these (and it hardly ever is) or it's a long walk out !
snow report
Same here. A friend of mine did one of them, which required a jump and he had to get some climbers (this was their steep bit) to get out of the way for him to do it. They were rather impressed as he flew by! Cool

Only 20 posts to go Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy